Community Forum

Font too small on the X1 Guide Channel

Most Valued Poster

Re: Too small guide letters and black background on guide.

@Rustyben wrote:

@johncasey37 wrote:

Hi Guys,

Got comcast cable last night. Wife cannot read the screen. 

We may not last thru the evaluation....

1 billion web monkeys' on the planet and you guys are having trouble offering choices of fonts ?

52" / samsung smart (expensive) TV, 12 feet away.

Tell us its coming...spread a little hope, come on.....

thanks

John Casey

if you have a smartphone (iphone might be only one you can use) would you want to try a test? there is a free app vision test. install it and run the 'colour test'. run thru those and see how the test turns out. (on you and wife).  Just wondering if it is the color pattern.

OMG...now we are being asked to use a APP to 'test' why we can't read the font. Really? Very creative but just plain silly.

Most Valued Poster

@RickGr4 wrote:

It's not being worked on at this point. Comcast has never publicly admitted there is a problem and they have given us no hint or suggestion any work is being done.

A 52" from 12 feet away??? I have a 40" in my master bedroom which I watch from I watch from 12 feet away and I can see everything easily WITHOUT MY GLASSES and I have 20/80 vision with out them.

Something else is wrong. Glare? Contrast or brightness settings???

Once again, NBC, ABC and CB use the same font size as Comcast (I measured it). Your really need to ask yourself... if you can't read the X1 guide font what else are you missing when you watch TV???

@johncasey37 wrote:

Hi Guys,

1 billion web monkeys' on the planet and you guys are having trouble offering choices of fonts ?

thanks

John Casey

Rick....No problem reading text on ANY network, premium, sports,etc. ONLY the show and movie info screen on X1 are issues here. So tired of peat and repeat on this issue. Its NOT US...its THEM.

Most Valued Poster

@johncasey37 wrote:

Hi Guys,

thanks

John Casey

They offered font choices in 2013 and then POOF...they act like they never heard of such a feature

Expert

@TerriB wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@johncasey37 wrote:

Hi Guys,

thanks

John Casey

if you have a smartphone (iphone might be only one you can use) would you want to try a test? there is a free app vision test. install it and run the 'colour test'. run thru those and see how the test turns out. (on you and wife).  Just wondering if it is the color pattern.

OMG...now we are being asked to use a APP to 'test' why we can't read the font. Really? Very creative but just plain silly.

hi again, I'm just a user with a lot of TV repair experience. was just asking if you would see if there is a color sensitivity. no need to do it if it offends you. I was wondering if it is the color scheme that makes the guide so 'wrong' for so many people. cheers.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Most Valued Poster

@Rustyben wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@johncasey37 wrote:

Hi Guys,

thanks

John Casey

hi again, I'm just a user with a lot of TV repair experience. was just asking if you would see if there is a color sensitivity. no need to do it if it offends you. I was wondering if it is the color scheme that makes the guide so 'wrong' for so many people. cheers.

Not the slightest bit offended just spinning with all the complex solutions for something that should be QED

New Poster

Re: Font too small on the X1 Guide Channel

"The font is more than big enough in my opinion. I like it how it is now. If anything the font is not BOLD enough.

Funny but half the people who chime in on this issue think the font is too big."

My "opinion" is just as valid as the next person's.  I think the real question is, why aren't there options available?  I personally would like a much simpler text version of the guide with larger font that I can read easier than this new X1 guide provides.  I also don't need every piece of information to be displayed in a graphic icon - maybe I'm old-school, I can read.

New Poster

It is also way too small for me since comcast switched me to X1.  It was great before as the menu with description of programs was the best thing i could say about my tv service, so convenient..  Also  listed the stars.  Now often doesn't. say who is in it.  I am FED UP. Installer and his supervisor knew there was a problem but offered no solution, not even tech support number. I assume there is no solution. I hate the icons. If it comes in better on some tv's that doesn't make up for much worse on many. This isn"t progress.  No wonder it is the first time Comcast has tried to tie me to a 2 yr. contract. I'm getting out before my 30 days end.

New Poster

AMEN.

New Poster

No wonder Comcast rated very poorly in 'Consumer Reports.

New Poster

you are obtuse for assuming its ok for large numbers of people to be unable to read the guide and info that were the most helpful part of comcast. Going to ATT unless comcast fixes it in days.

New Poster

thanks for info but why should i have to do all that!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If they can make it clear on an ipad they can make it clear on tv.

New Poster

my 30 days are almost up so att is one available here. this is ridiculous.

New Poster

Re: Font is microscopic on the X1 Guide Channel

AMEN.

New Poster

xxx

Post removed. Please do not circumvent our profanity filter.  This violates our Guidelines Item 2 in Red

New Poster

If i am allowed to change back to old equipment that is the only chance of my keeping Comcast it appears.  It is a constant irritation.

New Poster

and what good does being added to your report do COMCAST BRANDON ?

New Poster

Re: Font too Large on the X1 Guide Channel

If this white on black issue is cause can comcast come fix it? I don"t know what you are talking about and have no desire to learn.

Expert

@trying98 wrote:

If i am allowed to change back to old equipment that is the only chance of my keeping Comcast it appears.  It is a constant irritation.

sure, if available still locally. Or you can switch to TiVo (tivo.com) equipment. 

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Most Valued Poster

Re: Work around for not being able to read guide/program description

There is a feature I was not aware of under 'accessibility settings' called Voice Guidance Beta. Its intent is to help with navigation learning process and for sight impaired and there is also  a 'help' video about it.  The good news is that once its turned on and you have a program highlighted a voice will read all the time/ channel/show information including the program synopsis.  The bad news is that you have to put up with the voice for all things as you navigate and that is annoying.

Expert

@TerriB wrote:

There is a feature I was not aware of under 'accessibility settings' called Voice Guidance Beta. Its intent is to help with navigation learning process and for sight impaired and there is also  a 'help' video about it.  The good news is that once its turned on and you have a program highlighted a voice will read all the time/ channel/show information including the program synopsis.  The bad news is that you have to put up with the voice for all things as you navigate and that is annoying.

in a previous answer, a regular (would atrrib but can't remember who said it) user said double hit of the "A" button toggles it on/off so you can use it as needed. Hope that helps.

Most Valued Poster

@Rustyben wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

in a previous answer, a regular (would atrrib but can't remember who said it) user said double hit of the "A" button toggles it on/off so you can use it as needed. Hope that helps.

We do we use the 'A' button to toggle but due to font size/contrast  we would like to read info every single show we watch and toggle is two more actions to turn on and  and then two more to turn it off. I want simpler not more complex but at least now I know I can 'read' the information if need be. I can deal with the toggle better than my hubby. He got annoyed real fast with voice telling us how to do the other things but was thrilled at first to hear a voice tell him show info. I wanted to leave the function 'on' but that did not happen.

New Poster

@geek46 wrote:

@dzthornton wrote:

@geek46 wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

I sure wish someone would post a link to a picture of a guide with microscopic font.

Gee.... that has to be the 10th time I have seen this request, but NOT ONE person who complains is willing to do it.... I wonder why?????

-=Ray=-

I can't imagine being able to take a picture that duplicates what I see--or, rather, what I can't see.  Just imagine how tiny the font would be in a 2" by 3" photo!  

Being ignored by Comcast is one thing.  Being skewered by a Comcast customer (?) and apologist is uncalled for.  

Huh?  My Galaxy S4 will take a pic that when viewed with the right software (high resolution) can be any size I want it to be without degradation of pic.... No to mention my Canon, my Nikon, my Sony, etc etc etc   I was not SKEWERING anyone with that post... you just took offense to it.   No harm no foul.

-=RAY=- 

I'm quite sure that, if I posted a picture of the tiny print in the guide and program descriptions, I would be subject to all sorts of post saying either that the resolution of my photo was bad (and therefore there's no problem with the font size) and my TV is old/small (neither is the case).

New Poster

@TerriB wrote:

Thank you, Terri.  

Most Valued Poster

@dzthornton wrote:

@geek46 wrote:

@dzthornton wrote:

@geek46 wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

I sure wish someone would post a link to a picture of a guide with microscopic font.

Gee.... that has to be the 10th time I have seen this request, but NOT ONE person who complains is willing to do it.... I wonder why?????

-=Ray=-

I can't imagine being able to take a picture that duplicates what I see--or, rather, what I can't see.  Just imagine how tiny the font would be in a 2" by 3" photo!  

Being ignored by Comcast is one thing.  Being skewered by a Comcast customer (?) and apologist is uncalled for.  

Huh?  My Galaxy S4 will take a pic that when viewed with the right software (high resolution) can be any size I want it to be without degradation of pic.... No to mention my Canon, my Nikon, my Sony, etc etc etc   I was not SKEWERING anyone with that post... you just took offense to it.   No harm no foul.

-=RAY=- 

I'm quite sure that, if I posted a picture of the tiny print in the guide and program descriptions, I would be subject to all sorts of post saying either that the resolution of my photo was bad (and therefore there's no problem with the font size) and my TV is old/small (neither is the case).

DO NOT even think about posting a picture. You are so right about what would happen. I emailed one and a Comcast employee  expert looked at it  and pushed back aboiut the type of tv had and screen size.

Frequent Visitor

Aside from font size issues, it would help a LOT if they'd move away from the [expletive] white letters on black background, which is vastly less legible than black text on white. If the current guide were a web page, it would merit mention on the "Web Pages That Suck" web site just for this one major blunder.

Frequent Visitor

So... do we have any recourse under the ADA?

Most Valued Poster

@jejones3141 wrote:

Aside from font size issues, it would help a LOT if they'd move away from the [expletive] white letters on black background, which is vastly less legible than black text on white. If the current guide were a web page, it would merit mention on the "Web Pages That Suck" web site just for this one major blunder.

Double amen to that. Many of us have said that also. The font size may not be the primary issue. The contrast is horrendous not just on the guide or program info but in the 'about' I can barely read the version numbers of the software and 'dots' between numbers are totally invisible.

I wish the ADA could help us but not sure how to even approach that. Wonder how they would react to our issues if they knew that Closed Captioning has many font options for those who cannot HEAR.

Expert

@jejones3141 wrote:

So... do we have any recourse under the ADA?

HIghly doubtful the ADA will step in as there is the VOICE alternative that is offered... so ADA accomodations have been met... per federal guidlines.

-=Ray=-

Silver Problem Solver

I still think reaching out to Comcast on social media is a good way to get visibility to your issues.

And emailing Comcast Corporate is another way.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Gold Problem Solver

Why doesn't someone that has a concern about this do some research and find out what ADA rules, requirements or statutes REALLY ARE and if Comcast is in fact in any sort of violation then report back to us???

I'm not gonna do it. I think the guide is fine as it is...

@TerriB wrote:

@jejones3141 wrote:

Double amen to that. Many of us have said that also. The font size may not be the primary issue. The contrast is horrendous not just on the guide or program info but in the 'about' I can barely read the version numbers of the software and 'dots' between numbers are totally invisible.

I wish the ADA could help us but not sure how to even approach that. Wonder how they would react to our issues if they knew that Closed Captioning has many font options for those who cannot HEAR.

Expert

@TerriB wrote:

@jejones3141 wrote:

take a look at the black on white diagnostic screen (very hard to read compared to the guide. hit last button if exit does not remove it. long press (5 seconds or so) of "exit", then "down" "down" and "3" same as the downdown2 but in html I hope that is not where the guide is going.

New Poster

I CAN'T SEE THE GUIDE.  It has been 3 months.  What is the result of Brandon's report?

@ComcastBrandon wrote:

Sonoma

I appreciate your concern regarding font size on the X1 Guide.  You have been added to my report.

Thank you

Brandon

Gold Problem Solver

It's not gonna be changed any time soon if ever....

@Mama23MD wrote:

I CAN'T SEE THE GUIDE.  It has been 3 months.  What is the result of your report?

Most Valued Poster

@Rustyben wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@jejones3141 wrote:

take a look at the black on white diagnostic screen (very hard to read compared to the guide. hit last button if exit does not remove it. long press (5 seconds or so) of "exit", then "down" "down" and "3" same as the downdown2 but in html I hope that is not where the guide is going.

Diagnostic screen....huh?

New Poster

Just got the X-1 am not at all happy with the size of the fonts.  It's nice to know I'm not the only one out there that is having this problem!  I can't really afford a larger TV (and I have to buy one for this reason).  Aaarghh!  I don't watch a lot of TV, mainly movies, but it is frustrating that this "upgrade" doesn't seem like much of an upgrade to me.  And I'm locked into this for 2 years.

Gotta love Netflix streaming!  Xfinity - in my opinion you got this one wrong.

Silver Problem Solver

A (poor) picture of my Guide:

http://s1378.photobucket.com/user/rwycoff77401/media/Guide_zpsb27786ed.jpg.html

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Most Valued Poster

@RobertWy wrote:

A (poor) picture of my Guide:

http://s1378.photobucket.com/user/rwycoff77401/media/Guide_zpsb27786ed.jpg.html

I  think that is an excellent photo of your guide....wow...really shows the blur effect of the white on black.  I could hardly read it in your photo even close up on my monitor . This is even more confirmation that it is just awful to deal with day to day from tv 'viewing' distance.

Silver Problem Solver

The blur is a result of my poor picture-taking.  There is no blur when I use my eyes.  And there is a great black/white contrast.

Most Valued Poster

@RobertWy wrote:

The blur is a result of my poor picture-taking.  There is no blur when I use my eyes.  And there is a great black/white contrast.

So are you saying  you don't have a problem with font size and/or blurred efffect? What was the purpose of your photo? Really odd because your photo is exactly what we see on the tv and its NOT just me who sees the blurr.   Maybe its the thickness of the font that is at fault.To us it looks like someone spilled water on white in and smudged it.  I am looking at' smaller than X1 white on black font' in a snow closing listing at the bottom of my tv right now and I can read it just fine. I keep saying X1 font is too small and the white on black is also a culprit and now I see that the thickness of the font may be contributing. Why am I even bothering...they aren't going to fix it.

New Poster

old system was great. i could see guide clearly. whats the big deal about changing this,sent a man to the moon and back.

New Poster

I would like to be included in whatever report is needed to fix the small font issue.  I commented on the forum earlier.  I too don't have the best eyesight in the world but with the old box I could make do.  This new one is just too small.  Comcast, please fix it!  

Contributor

So agree!!!

Regular Visitor

If you can go to the tools menu under preferences change the guide from current to preview (hopefully that was all you had issue with) it that right.
Most Valued Poster

@emadrid224 wrote:
If you can go to the tools menu under preferences change the guide from current to preview (hopefully that was all you had issue with) it that right

I see you are new to the forums and welcome! The size and contrast of the font has been a huge complaint and pushback for many months for X1 users.  You must have different features than I do. I do not see anything that allows me to change the guide from current to preview. Please be more specific and tell me which heading this falls under. I have looked all over the place and don't see it.

Most Valued Poster

I have a new input about the size of the font. My best friend changed over to FIOS years ago. She recently moved and FIOS was not offered so she went back to Comcast and got X1 of course.  I visited her for the first time yesterday and showed her some of the features that might be useful since she was not aware of much past the guide and  the tech that set it up did not show her anything. She said she was sick already of not being able to read the text as its too small and she is tired of walking over to the tv to read anything on the guide/info screen.  I cracked up and described what has gone on here with  all the 'dicsussion' about size and contrast. She was very vocal that its driving her nuts. She sits in her tv chair about 7 feet from her 55" HD flat screen. I was on the couch about the same distance away and her font looks as bad as mine on my 39" SD tv that by the way has a flat screen. I told her "welcome to the club". I was sorry she had the problem but elated that once again it proves its not  an SD vs HD issue nor is it related to distance from the tv or screen size . She has a 42 " in her bedroom and says its even worse on that one. I sadly informed her that it appeared we were stuck as apparently Comcast is not planning to do anything. She said she was getting ready to call them  and I told her all they will do is have her refresh the box /send a new signal and then schedule a tech to come out and the tech can't do anything about this problem.They might even write up a ticket which seems to go into a black hole as many of us have had this done.
When I told her that many on these forums actually say the font is too large she 'lost' it. She believes its definitely an accessibility and discrimination issue against those over 40 who do not have perfect vision or sit right in front of their 100"+ screens. I showed her the voice guidance feature but like me she says its 'talks too much' before it gets to the info part . She knows which  show /channel she is on and doesn't care about how much time is left.
I am NOT sharing this you guys to poke the 'font bears' but wanted once more to prove that this problem is rampant and growing. Comcast keeps coming up with 'gee whiz' features but does not address basic customer needs.

Silver Problem Solver

Terri,

I have terrible vision and wear glasses.  And I'm going on 76.  If the font was a problem for more people, I could believe Comcast would try to fix it.  I suggest you advocate to those who have the problem to use every "social media" outlet available, including email to corporate.

I don't think Comcast understands the seriousness of the issue.  Not enough people are complaining.

Most Valued Poster

@RobertWy wrote:

Terri,

I have terrible vision and wear glasses.  And I'm going on 76.  If the font was a problem for more people, I could believe Comcast would try to fix it.  I suggest you advocate to those who have the problem to use every "social media" outlet available, including email to corporate.

I don't think Comcast understands the seriousness of the issue.  Not enough people are complaining.

Comcast Brandon was compiling a report from the input of many on these forums to present to someone at Comcast. I have not heard anything lately. More and more are complaining but seems its falling on deaf ears which leads me back to Closed Captioning that has lots of font options. I will NEVER get over that fact that if you have HEARING problems you can adjust the size/color of the font. REALLY?

New Poster

SOLVED THIS PROBLEM!!  You must use an HDMI cable from your TV to your DVR box, NOT a standard cable.  Guide is crystal clear!  I went down to Comcast and upon request they GAVE me the HDMI cable - free of charge.  I also found out there is anupgraded remote that does have a TV Input button on it.  Not carried at the stores, you have to call and they will send you onefree of charge. Otherwise there is a $25-$35 charge.  

Most Valued Poster

@BarbieDoll70707 wrote:

SOLVED THIS PROBLEM!!  You must use an HDMI cable from your TV to your DVR box, NOT a standard cable.  Guide is crystal clear!  I went down to Comcast and upon request they GAVE me the HDMI cable - free of charge.  I also found out there is anupgraded remote that does have a TV Input button on it.  Not carried at the stores, you have to call and they will send you onefree of charge. Otherwise there is a $25-$35 charge.  

Happy that helped you but I have two friends who have the font issue and they have the HDMI cable.

Is that remote you said you can get for free the one with the backlight or the newest one with voice control ? I never heard of them offering any remote for free unless it breaks and then they just replace with same kind.  Tell us more about which remote you are talking about please.

Contributor

I  have a new larger tv with a new HDMI cable.....and  the menu is still unreadable...so small and fuzzy...and I was told the new backlit remote would be $20 when it came out and then I was told by comcast on my last call that it would be replaced with the new one...never worked right from the beginning...and I keep telling them that...The only better thing is that I can see whose calling now....but still not like before.