Community Forum

Font too small on the X1 Guide Channel

Silver Problem Solver

Re: In X1 how do to change the font size

@dh21 wrote:

In X1 how do to change the font size

There is no option to change the font size.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Contributor

Re: In X1 how do to change the font size

Just upgraded to X1. I like most of the changes, but the program grid is almost unreadable. It is NOT the TV, it is COMCAST. If they had serious competition, they would be out of business. 

Reading this thread, it is sad to note these complaints have been made since the introduction of X1. COMCAST obviously doesnt give a darn.  Fortunately, the voice command is pretty good. It almost compensates for the unreadable grid. 

New Poster

Re: Too small guide letters and black background on guide.

I agree. And I have pretty bad vision. I understand that we can pretty much get to whatever so we want with the Xfinity Voice guide. HOWEVER, if I want to just scroll through the menu I literally have to be standing in front of the TV.

This might have been a bad idea.
Expert

@Diamondlety wrote:
I agree. And I have pretty bad vision. I understand that we can pretty much get to whatever so we want with the Xfinity Voice guide. HOWEVER, if I want to just scroll through the menu I literally have to be standing in front of the TV.

If you happen to have a smart device (phone/tablet) that is an apple or android system you can use the xfinity TV Remote app or the xfinity TV app. The TV remote app has black on white text and is easily scrollable (listings and on demand searches). 

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Most Valued Poster

@Rustyben wrote:

@Diamondlety wrote:

If you happen to have a smart device (phone/tablet) that is an apple or android system you can use the xfinity TV Remote app or the xfinity TV app. The TV remote app has black on white text and is easily scrollable (listings and on demand searches). 

=============================================

I realize that workarounds are what the X1 world has come to more and more and it makes me furious that we should have to  use an alternate device to view text that is on the TV and  Comcast should FIX IT. We pay royally for this service.  Its an accessibility issue . No one should have to stand right in front of a screen to READ IT.

Regular Visitor

GUIDE FONT TOO SMALL

Hi is there any way I can enlarge the font size of the Guide?  its very annoying to see such small fonts.

Diamond Problem Solver
Contributor

Font size of info with "new" boxes

Hello all,

I'm trying to figure how if possible, to enlarge the font when you want to read info on a prgram? Or when you want to get more info from guide view? The new box produces much smaller type than previous. I figured how to darken the background for contrast...it helps but not much. Anyone have a tip or trick? Thx.

Expert
Moved:

Contributor

I would like to report flat failure in getting any cooperation from either Comcast/Xfinity Stores or Service Centers to test my Sony settings on X1.  Unless there is a change of heart by Comcast, nothing can be done.  I will now quit posting on this thread, since I no longer have anything constructive to offer.  Good luck, all.

Most Valued Poster

@MycroftXX wrote:

I would like to report flat failure in getting any cooperation from either Comcast/Xfinity Stores or Service Centers to test my Sony settings on X1.  Unless there is a change of heart by Comcast, nothing can be done.  I will now quit posting on this thread, since I no longer have anything constructive to offer.  Good luck, all.

So very sorry to hear they would not even test your Sony settings. What are they afraid of? How much effort would it have taken on their part?  Nice new fancy service centers FOR WHAT?

New Poster

@MycroftXX wrote:

Thanks for trying.  Perhaps you'll find another windmill to tilt at.  We'll carry on here.

New Poster

I see no difference when changing the background...All choices look the same.
I have a 32" flat screen TV...New 3 years ago. I had NO problems seeing and reading on the old box that used a blue background when displaying text. Why can't this be changed?? and am appalled that there have been NO improvements since 2014??????
No one ever asked the size of the TV that I have! I have a perfectly good 32" TV and am not running out to buy a larger one.
Does anyone want to start a class action suit to get Comcast to Either reduce our cost OR to get this fixed ASAP?????
COMCAST brags about their guarantee...Let's get together and make them honor it!!!!
Contributor

The TV size doesn't matter. This piece of garbage monopoly ( thank you, worthless congress...) does the minimum it is compelled to do. 

You will have to find solace in an outside solution like using an ipad for your guide and remote. The voice remote is some solace, but they have clearly hired the cheapest, least competent engineers they can find. 

They provide these forums for a place to vent, but it is clear that nobody except the moderator reads them or ever considers the problems being reported. 

Most Valued Poster

@jsmp2016 wrote:
I see no difference when changing the background...All choices look the same.
I have a 32" flat screen TV...New 3 years ago. I had NO problems seeing and reading on the old box that used a blue background when displaying text. Why can't this be changed?? and am appalled that there have been NO improvements since 2014??????
No one ever asked the size of the TV that I have! I have a perfectly good 32" TV and am not running out to buy a larger one.
Does anyone want to start a class action suit to get Comcast to Either reduce our cost OR to get this fixed ASAP?????
COMCAST brags about their guarantee...Let's get together and make them honor it!!!!

=============
Ah my favorite 'dead horse' issue of all times and I have resurrected the poor animal over and over. I have battle scars to prove it. To me this is an accessibility issue just like closed captioning (which DOES have font options by the way for those who cannot HEAR). X1 did have font change options until 2014.
Not only are we strongly encouraged to buy a bigger set and/or  sit very close but I have seen posts that even the BRAND of tv matters.  REALLY? What a crock. Why Is it so difficult for Comcast to realize that way too many X1 users CANNOT read the darn content and therefore resurrect the code ? Forget the bells and whistles.....first and foremost we should at least be able to read about whats on tv.
Contributor

y guide looks great. Maybe you need to set the proper settings on your TV.  What type of TV do you have? Maybe you need to schedule an appointment with an optometrist.

Also, can you please not respond to peoples post in the quoted section. It makes your post hard to read.

New Poster

Not funny, although I hope you are trying to be.  
@MisterEGas wrote:

y guide looks great. Maybe your need to set the proper settings on your TV.  What type of TV do you have? Maybe you need to schedule an appointment with an optometrist.

Also, can you please not respond to peoples post in the quoted section. It makes your post hard to read.

Most Valued Poster

@dzthornton wrote:
Not funny, although I hope you are trying to be.  
@MisterEGas wrote:

y guide looks great. Maybe your need to set the proper settings on your TV.  What type of TV do you have? Maybe you need to schedule an appointment with an optometrist.

=============

MisterEGas.

Not funny . When they redid the forum structure they took away the ability to know what is the quote and what is the reply so I try to remember to use ==== to separate the quote from my reply. If a person does not quote the post they are repling to...chaos ensues.

Obviously you have not been part of this particular forum topic very long or you would know better than to say what you said. I can't believe you actually are suggesting that my tv is not the right kind or that I need my eyes checked. This is exactly what I was talking about before.....forum members who suggest that the legions of us who can't read the text are either blind/sit too far back/have too small a tv/have wrong brand/ don't know how to setup X1 or the tv...blah blah blah. Most of them are HAPPY with their font so should not even be in the conversation. ..its not constructive.  I have done all that is humanly possible to configure the tv and X1 and nothing works.  People with brand new HUGE smart tvs and perfect vision cannot read the text...go back and look at the dozens of posts about this. My eyesight is just fine with corrective lenses thank you very much. No one that comes to our house and watches our tv can read the guide and many of them are also X1 users and people of various ages and some of them have the same problem and have never been able to get any satisfaction either.  The customer needs and deserves font option and I just one of a huge group crying in the wilderness.

Contributor

ou say that some of the people you know who have X1 have the same problem with the guide. That would imply that some of them don't. Have you seen their guide at their home on their TV? Did that guide look good to you? Obviously if their guide looks good and yours doesn't, then something must be different between their TV and yours.

All I'm asking then is have you had your TV tuned? Not by just adjusting some settings yourself, but by following a professional tuning guide or even paying for a professional tuning service. I believe Best Buy performs such service, although I'm not sure of costs. You can even purchase a DVD that has the tuning instructions, along with the tuning materials for setting up your TV for optimal performance in your home.

You like to "beat the dead horse", but I haven't read in all this thread about you having performed a professional tuning of your TV. Of course I could have missed that.

Gold Problem Solver

Rut Ro..... LOL
Regular Contributor

@MisterEGas wrote:

ou say that some of the people you know who have X1 have the same problem with the guide. That would imply that some of them don't. Have you seen their guide at their home on their TV? Did that guide look good to you? Obviously if their guide looks good and yours doesn't, then something must be different between their TV and yours.

All I'm asking then is have you had your TV tuned? Not by just adjusting some settings yourself, but by following a professional tuning guide or even paying for a professional tuning service. I believe Best Buy performs such service, although I'm not sure of costs. You can even purchase a DVD that has the tuning instructions, along with the tuning materials for setting up your TV for optimal performance in your home.

You like to "beat the dead horse", but I haven't read in all this thread about you having performed a professional tuning of your TV. Of course I could have missed that.

Terri may be a tad adamant in his presentation, but I do agree with him. The font is too small in the latest software iteration. It is not the TV; as I agree with Terri and I have a 75" flat screen, calibrated to a T. The font is too small. Some people don't have a problem perhaps because they don't mind small fonts. Or maybe they have 10/20 vision, I don't know. I do know the font size changed, and I don't like it, either.

Contributor

Its not the TV. It is Comcast's implementation. When a problem has been flagged for YEARS, there is a problem. 

Most Valued Poster

@MisterEGas wrote:

================

Seriously? What part of the 'legion' of X1 users who cannot read the font don't you understand? Of course some don't have the problem and God Bless their LUCK. Problem has been around for over 2 yrs. YES I have seen friends' tvs that are on X1 and some look good and some have exact issue so many of us have. Pay to have tv tuned by a  pro...OMG.

Most Valued Poster

@billybh wrote:

Its not the TV. It is Comcast's implementation. When a problem has been flagged for YEARS, there is a problem. 

============

thanks for the sanity check!

Most Valued Poster

@RickGr4 wrote:

Rut Ro..... LOL

========

You could see it coming couldn't you? You know me so well! Not sure if you meant the 'name game' or the directive that I need to hire a pro to test my tv (BTW..... SD was replaced by 42" Vizio HD and same font issue).  Perhaps you could fly out and TEST my tv for me......

Most Valued Poster

@MrScott1 wrote:

@MisterEGas wrote:

Terri may be a tad adamant in his presentation, but I do agree with him. The font is too small in the latest software iteration. It is not the TV; as I agree with Terri and I have a 75" flat screen, calibrated to a T. The font is too small. Some people don't have a problem perhaps because they don't mind small fonts. Or maybe they have 10/20 vision, I don't know. I do know the font size changed, and I don't like it, either.

=========

Maybe I need to change my profile picture...lol. Terri with an 'i'.  You have joined the large group with large screens who can't read the guide/info either....size doesn't matter .....lol.

Adamant is the nicest thing my passion about this subject has been called....Smiley Wink

Regular Contributor

@TerriB wrote:

Maybe I need to change my profile picture...lol. Terri with an 'i'.  You have joined the large group with large screens who can't read the guide/info either....size doesn't matter .....lol.

Adamant is the nicest thing my passion about this subject has been called....Smiley Wink

Your name is spelled with an i on this forum, so if it's not Terri with an i, then perhaps its not your picture, but your profile name that needs changed? No offense intended, I was merely copying from your forum name.

Most Valued Poster

@MrScott1 wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

Your name is spelled with an i on this forum, so if it's not Terri with an i, then perhaps its not your picture, but your profile name that needs changed? No offense intended, I was merely copying from your forum name.

========

No offense taken at all. I had my tongue in my cheek when I mentioned changing my profile picture because it appears that you thought I was a guy. I know my hair is short  but didn't realize my gender could be mis interpreted...lol.  Terri is a girl's name and thats what I am.Trust me...if you could see me you would never ever confuse my gender....Smiley Wink

I bet I get sanctioned for off topic post. Hey there Comcast......I really needed to stand up for myself and declare my womanhood so please don't dismiss this post.

Contributor

And then you wonder why 

Regular Contributor

I pay zero attention to profiles or profile pics, I was assuming what used to be considered the pronoun of choice when sex is unknown, taught to me at some point last century before the world went ballistically politically correct.

Frequent Visitor

Agree that the font is way too small.

I showed a family member who had been out of town for a month the new guide and their immediate reaction was that they also couldn't read it clearly.

Yet another reason why I am plugging my old box back in and returning the X1 box to Comcast.

Contributor

Just to be "balanced" here.... WhileI find the Guide to be almost unreadable, and think they regressed in the operation of some features, e.g., when you hit the "record" button, it starts recording "now" instead of the program's beginning (assuming you have been on that channel the whole time so it is spooled...), and a couple of other operational things like the "back" button is now a two step process instead of one (but you have more choices to go "back" to...), I think the overall change from the "older" system to X1 is a positive one.

Despite it's shortcomings, I think X1 is an improvement. Just needs more refinement. I still can't believe they haven't provided the option to shift the "record" time when a program runs long and the entire schedule shifts. Seems like a choice in the "record" dialog to "protect programming" or "protect Time" would be easy enough to implement. Oh well.

Contributor

Hi

this is off the topic but since you started.

there are many things X1 does not have......

no spooling of the laser program you just flipped from so if you change channel in ads then flip back too late to the orriginal channel you cannot go back ...... The Verizon system records both the channel you are watching and the last all the time so it's easy to watch 2 channels at once.

- same system allow you to hit record and record the entire show  not just from where you joined it. ( some limitations).

THER IS NOT SLOW MO,! Really, NO FRAME BY FRAME , NOTHING! How can you have a good discussion over sports without it!

The jump FWD and back is set at 5 minutes......why? And not adjustable! ( there is a secret way from web to change but really?)

Sometimes when watching a show in delay you can hit the wrong button , but same as you have been doing, and it jumps to live......so you have to rewind to try to get back to where you were....what a pain. And doesn't always go back!

Favorites set up is a pain , takes way to many clicks.

THERE SHOULD BE A WAY TO LET YOU KNOW WHEN A CHANNEL IS ONE YOU DONT SUBSCRIBE TO BEFORE YOU THINK THE DECRIPTION LOOKS INTERESTING. really!

I could go on and on.....

you would think the latest and greatest X1 would have all the bells and whistles that a DVR/ cable box could have after 10-20 years of feed back!

my guess is they did not want to pay TIVO for a license to use some of its patents.

w

Contributor

The TIVO thought is intriguing. They sure aren't where they should be.

Gold Problem Solver

TB, I think I have learned enough about you that I know at least a few of your "hot buttons".

However, sorry to tell you this but the next time I get on a plane I will be heading west. There is at least one bar stool in San Diego and Honolulu with my name on it...!!!

Happy to hear you upgraded your TV but sorry it did not improve your X1 experience.

As time has moved forward, we are hearing more and more about just how restrictive the TiVo (and possibly Rovi) patents on DVR technology might really be. Considering Comcast has been dead silent on the guide font issue, I am beginning to wonder if there may be a patent enforcement going on here... Just a thought...

@TerriB wrote:

@RickGr4 wrote:

Rut Ro..... LOL

========

You could see it coming couldn't you? You know me so well! Not sure if you meant the 'name game' or the directive that I need to hire a pro to test my tv (BTW..... SD was replaced by 42" Vizio HD and same font issue).  Perhaps you could fly out and TEST my tv for me......

Most Valued Poster

@RickGr4 wrote:

TB, I think I have learned enough about you that I know at least a few of your "hot buttons".

However, sorry to tell you this but the next time I get on a plane I will be heading west. There is at least one bar stool in San Diego and Honolulu with my name on it...!!!

Happy to hear you upgraded your TV but sorry it did not improve your X1 experience.

@TerriB wrote:

@RickGr4 wrote:

Rut Ro..... LOL

========

===

Bon Voyage and Mahalo

New Poster

Re: Font too small on the X1 Guide Channel

Tiny tiny tiny. I cannot read any of the info scripts on the screen. I do not need corrective lenses. This is SMALL!
Expert

@Jgwish_improve wrote:
Tiny tiny tiny. I cannot read any of the info scripts on the screen. I do not need corrective lenses. This is SMALL!

are you sure it is small?  Smiley Happy

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert
Moved:

Most Valued Poster

Re: Font size of info with "new" boxes

@dlv wrote:

Hello all,

I'm trying to figure how if possible, to enlarge the font when you want to read info on a prgram? Or when you want to get more info from guide view? The new box produces much smaller type than previous. I figured how to darken the background for contrast...it helps but not much. Anyone have a tip or trick? Thx.

===========

We who are unhappy with tiny font have tried every trick and setting and nothing helps.

Most Valued Poster

@Jgwish_improve wrote:

====

Welcome to the jungle of unhappy customers who cannot read the text on the guide or the 'info' screen.

New Poster

Re: Is it possible to enlarge the print onsceen for xfinity1

Hi Terri and All,

I have been away from the topic for a while.  I just went back to the old boxes, which I had kept.

I have Amazon Prime - and a Samsung DVD player - what an enjoyable experience compared to trying to use X1.

I hate it.  I am in IT for a living.  I studied to be a programmer (although before todays languages and tools), so I really believe this should be something Comcast could and should fix.  But, alas - deaf ears.  They are getting our money anyway.

What a shame.

--JimH in RIchmond, Va

New Poster

Hi All,

Well, I will keep my tongue tied about those without problems.  I guess when I can afford an 80 inch behemoth for my bedroom and living room too, then I will look at X1 again.

What a shame.  Truly dissappointing.

--JimH

New Poster

Just got the new Xfinity remote. Just to let people know two years later....the font is still WAY too small. Called about it.....they said nothing can be done....go figure!!!!
Silver Problem Solver

Maybe Dish or one of the other providers is a better solution for you.  You might even look into TiVo.

I have four TV's connected to X1 and I don't have any problem seeing the guide.  But I sit pretty close to my 32" TV's.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Expert
Moved:

Most Valued Poster

@RobertWy wrote:

Maybe Dish or one of the other providers is a better solution for you.  You might even look into TiVo.

I have four TV's connected to X1 and I don't have any problem seeing the guide.  But I sit pretty close to my 32" TV's.

===========

To Robert and all other 'happy font' customers. Here we go again. It is not constructive to keep telling those of us who cannot read the font on X1 to leave Comcast,  get a dish or Tivo or sit closer or get a bigger tv. If you are happy then clap your hands but please try to cease  chipping away at those of us who feel  Comcast should correct the problem and reinstate the X1  font options they took away in 2014. You are not being helpful.

Silver Problem Solver

If I could find some way to help, I would!!!!  This is so frustrating.  I wonder how many of the millions of X1 users have this issue and we don't hear from there here.

Most Valued Poster

@RobertWy wrote:

If I could find some way to help, I would!!!!  This is so frustrating.  I wonder how many of the millions of X1 users have this issue and we don't hear from there here.

=

I know your intentions are honorable but there is nothing you or anyone who is not having the problem can do and obviously neither can those of us who are exasperated at not being able to read the guide or program info. I am a strong believer that there are indeed millions who have the issue and may report via phone rather than the forum or may do nothing or may just switch carriers. I just cannot wrap my mind around why Comcast has turned a deaf ear to us.

Most Valued Poster

@sim205 wrote:
Just got the new Xfinity remote. Just to let people know two years later....the font is still WAY too small. Called about it.....they said nothing can be done....go figure!!!!

=======

Welcome to our version of Hades