Community Forum

Font too small on the X1 Guide Channel

Frequent Visitor

Re: Too small guide letters and black background on guide.

It's a computer. Allow people to alter the font size, adjust the timeframe from 3 hours to 2 hours, or eliminate the preview info taking up a 3rd of the vertical screen. Auto info should be an option. Once against, it's a computer....display intelligence is not that hard. 

Silver Problem Solver

I've been a computer programmer my whole career - about 50 years.

I got my X1 system over two years ago and I have been following this board since then.

I have come to the conclusion that Comcast made some bad design decisions regarding the X1 system.

Those bad decisions have put Comcast designers and programmers in a box that is not easily fixed.

I have no knowledge of the X1 topology/design, so my comments may be totally wrong.

But Comcast's non-actions speak volumes to me.

Comcast is reaching out to their customers with surveys to see what is appealing.  I have participated in some of those surveys.  None of them address the issues I see every day on this board.  (I have to be careful because every survey comes with an NDA.)

The X1 system is what it is.  I have readjusted the way I watch and record TV to make the X1 system work the way I want it to but it is different from what I thought at first.

As a result, I lead a non-stressful life regarding X1 and maximize my usage within its capabilities.

I go with the flow.  And about the only other option I have for X1 is to go over to the TiVo way.  But I see that as a short-term solution.  I think X1 will get better over time, so I'm going to stick with it.

(Edit:  Look how difficult it is for Comcast to roll out Cloud to all customers.  There are obviously serious infrastructure issues preventing them from accomplishing this.  And now they are trying to go to MPEG-4.  Some non-X1 boxes have to be swapped out for newer ones.  We have no idea what is going on in their systems.)

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Silver Problem Solver

Re: font size on guide

@cmorrison1 wrote:

The font is too bloody small. I've run my TVs up and down the various resolutions, sharpness and other settings. It may be ok for those under 30. If you're over 50 it's a real issue. I've resorted to using the guide on my iPad app. It's far faster too. 

Hmm.  I'm 76 with poor eyesight.  (Near sighted, macular degeneration, etc.)  

I have two DVR's with 60 and 42 inch LED's  I have two RNG150's with 32 inch LED's.

I adjust my viewing distance based on the size of the screen.

But all the TV's have a clear Guide.  Here is one of my 32 inch LED's.  Can you post a similar picture of one of your TV's?

IMG_1624.JPG

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Contributor

I have made adjustments also, and then got the new remotes, Voice and lit, and both do not work with the codes sent with the remotes...Unable to turn on and adjust the volumes of both TV's.  Tried to go to help on line and get and error code....UGHHHH!

So, using two remotes.

Silver Problem Solver

@lwms41 wrote:

I have made adjustments also, and then got the new remotes, Voice and lit, and both do not work with the codes sent with the remotes...Unable to turn on and adjust the volumes of both TV's.  Tried to go to help on line and get and error code....UGHHHH!

So, using two remotes.

Did you pair your remotes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYiqLyPOnFQ

Frequent Visitor

Re: font size on guide

Milo,  I totally agree.  Thaye nbeed to take out  line or two on each page and increse the font size accordingly.

Frequent Visitor

It will look a little different on a 42 inch screen at 10-15 feet.  I don't think a 60 or 70 inch screen will look good in the bedroom.

Ray

Frequent Visitor

I have all HD channels and it is a real problem to read.  Too many lines on  page so the font was adjusted to "fit it in".  I have lowered the resolution a tad which in effect increases the size of whatever is on the page, but it's still very tough to read at a distance of more than 6 feet.

Ray

Contributor

Yes, called comcast...and  they could not help...tried various codes and setups.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Size of type on screen

I have the exact same problem. The new X-1 design interface type-wise is atrocious! Not only the Guide, but also the Info screens below when you select a channel. Make some noise folks so they will do something about this!

Frequent Visitor

Re: Small text with X! box

"Welcome to the forum gebby but this is an often discussed subject in this forum and there is no reason to start another thread. Please use the search bar at the top of the forum page. You will find plenty of ready material on this topic."
There is no one thread, so telling her to do a search only gets several different threads, and more importantly, no response from Comcast!

New Poster

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

I only signed up today, so yep I a a newb who has not been reading and posting but started today.   Hence the "new things" post was foreign lol as I have not even clicked on August updates.  I just want the DVR to match the online DVR and they stole the ability to change background!!!  The guide is hard enuf with white on black, now all DVR list, etc is no longer Red, it is same as guide.  Would be happy if, like the older system, you could adjust guide and background colors.  So HELLO all!   That's why I came here today to read and post.   Peace!     X

933527-1e634e76-f50c-11e3-8ea9-a081f3513119.jpg
Contributor

Also, I still own a ...   32 inch picture tube TV and a VCR....so thats hard on my eyes of course, but it's still headachey on our big screens too!

Tags (1)
New Poster

Font readability is terrible. Make font size customizable or background colors. Didn't have this problem on uverse. Might have to switch back. 

New Poster

After reading this forum I have come to realize that this font issue has been going on for over a year. This is completly unacceptable. The old system was much better and I just came from my sons house who has Direct and his is great. This should be a simple programing issue that can be rather easly resolved. This is a slap in the face to a company as large as Xfinity.

Most Valued Poster

@albeachbum wrote:

After reading this forum I have come to realize that this font issue has been going on for over a year. This is completly unacceptable. The old system was much better and I just came from my sons house who has Direct and his is great. This should be a simple programing issue that can be rather easly resolved. This is a slap in the face to a company as large as Xfinity.

You are preaching to the choir of a huge number of users who find the inabiltiy to change the font and contrast a 'disability'. This applies to large HD sets as well as smaller ones.  The really sad thing is that was an option to change the font under general settings but Comcast removed it in 2014.

New Poster

Re: FONT IS TOO SMALL

Add me to the list who have trouble reading the guide because of the too-small font.

Additionally, it appears that some listings are more bold than others; does this signify anything or is it just a "feature" of the crappy guide?

Loren

Expert

@lorenbc wrote:

Add me to the list who have trouble reading the guide because of the too-small font.

Additionally, it appears that some listings are more bold than others; does this signify anything or is it just a "feature" of the crappy guide?

Loren

I've noticed that when you move the selection box through the Guide, the programs seem to diminish in brightness compared to other programs that you have not moved the selection box over yet....  Could be my tired eyes tbough....  

-=Ray=-

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers,the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing.  Please ensure your post is in the correct Forum to begin with.  Please do not send me Private Messages for personal help but instead use the Forums to allow everyone to read and offer comments to assist you.  Comcast employees are identified with RED lettered User Names.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Wow, we just got X1 today and the screen fonts are so small and faint that I can't read them and I have 20/20 vision.  We are already rethinking X1 and Comcast altogether for not addressing this after so long.  There are so many options for cable/satellite tv, you'd think they wouldn't risk losing even one customer over this issue.

Gold Problem Solver

Actually... cable and satellite companies budget to lose hundreds if not thousands of customers every single day. It is called "churn".

Big telecom companies learned long ago they will not be able to satisfy every single customer. Comcast simply does not care if one more customer leaves. Neither does any other big telecom company.

But what I think is more important is the reality of what is going on here. People have been complaining about the X1 guide font for over a year now. Comcast is very aware. But they have said NOTHING about it. No public annoucements have been made. That tells me it won't be changing any time soon.

SOOOOO for those of you that have an issue with the X1 guide font, you better accept it as it is or feel free to find another provider. Comcast isn't listening on this issue and they do not care.

Most Valued Poster

@RickGr4 wrote:

Actually... cable and satellite companies budget to lose hundreds if not thousands of customers every single day. It is called "churn".

Big telecom companies learned long ago they will not be able to satisfy every single customer. Comcast simply does not care if one more customer leaves. Neither does any other big telecom company.

But what I think is more important is the reality of what is going on here. People have been complaining about the X1 guide font for over a year now. Comcast is very aware. But they have said NOTHING about it. No public annoucements have been made. That tells me it won't be changing any time soon.

SOOOOO for those of you that have an issue with the X1 guide font, you better accept it as it is or feel free to find another provider. Comcast isn't listening on this issue and they do not care.

It will never happen but I wish all customers who cannot read the X1 guide could mass together in a protest  and cancel service. That might wake them up. I bet the number of upset customers is huge and we see  a healthy number but still a  microcosm on this forum. We are not asking for reinvention of the wheel because they had this option in 2014 and currently have it for Closed Captioning.

New Poster

Re: Font too small on the X1 Guide Channel

The fint ia way too small for me. It should be adjustable
New Poster

Dashboard display for Guide not easily readable

I just got Xfinity 1 and the guide is horrible!  It's too dark with the white bright text.  It was much more readable when it was set up the way it was.  Please make the change for readability.  I honestly have to get up and stand in front of the TV to read the guide...makes no sense as I didn't have to do that before.

Regular Visitor

Guide on X1

Please, please help!  I'm well over sixty five, wear glasses (farsighted) and can't see the blasted

guide.  Why?  Because the font is too SMALL.  I was so excited about my  new X1.  However,after 2 days, endless hours and driving my son-in-law nuts (I was calling him every hour) of trying to change the font size, I'm ready for a change in providers.  Also due to the fact that I'm paying soooo much for cable and do not have any premium channels.  Yikes!  Enough with the hikes and pay for the software to fix the font issue.  I've been with Comcast for many, many years.  Enough said!

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Guide on X1

If the size of the font is too small then...

If your TV is not HD, then set your box to 480i.
If your TV is HD, then set your box to 480i then back to 1080.

http://1drv.ms/1LQ23ii
http://1drv.ms/1LQ23Ph

...and some videos showing a clearly legible guide (the slight bluriness is due to the camera used to take the video).

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Guide on X1

Unless you changed the resolution as John suggested and it happened to help, there is nothing that can be done. Comcast has not announced (of even hinted) that they have any plans to offer guide font changes.

Suggest you judge X1 as you see it now because it won't be changing anytime soon.

@mumzee wrote:

Please, please help!  I'm well over sixty five, wear glasses (farsighted) and can't see the blasted

guide.  Why?  Because the font is too SMALL.  I was so excited about my  new X1.  However,after 2 days, endless hours and driving my son-in-law nuts (I was calling him every hour) of trying to change the font size, I'm ready for a change in providers.  Also due to the fact that I'm paying soooo much for cable and do not have any premium channels.  Yikes!  Enough with the hikes and pay for the software to fix the font issue.  I've been with Comcast for many, many years.  Enough said!

New Poster

Guide/TV Listing

The font on the Guide/TV Listing is WAY TOO small!  There needs to be a way to increase the text in Settings/Preferences.  Even the young people in my house can't read it.  Everyone prefers the old guide listing.

At the very least you could increase the size of the time.  There is no more clock on the cable box, you could at least make the time big enough to see it when you hit GUIDE.

New Poster

Dear RickGr4,

We have a 57" Hitachi projection screen. We are viewing it from only 12' and at present the guide font is definitely too small. I need to be between 6' & 7' in order to read it without strain. I am confident in my settings for both the TV and the X1 box as being properly set. And considering that as I am a former Marine and a Hillbilly from Tennessee, I am still able to hit a basket ball sized target at 100 yards with ease, I am certain there is no problem with my eye sight. So if you don't mind, PLEASE stop complaining (or even berating) others for having a problem seeing the guide comfortably. I know my service to our great nation gives you a right to freedom of speach, it also gives your the right to remain silent. Please observe this right and respect others dealing with this frustrating situation. This forum allows them to vent without tying up technical support for hours. I am certain that Comcast is working hard to resolve this issue especially with all these comments. I foresee this issue of the font size will go away in time. So for now enjoy the many AWESOME features of the X1 digital box, be patient, be respectful and most of all, may God bless each of us... Respectfully, Robert D. Rose Jr., BSW, MEd., Semper Fidelis...

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Guide/TV Listing

Pressing the left arrow key displays the time, among other things.  My Comcast store gave me three additional remotes for the other members of our family.

Silver Problem Solver

@Tn-Hillbilly wrote:

Dear RickGr4,

We have a 57" Hitachi projection screen. We are viewing it from only 12' and at present the guide font is definitely too small. I need to be between 6' & 7' in order to read it without strain. I am confident in my settings for both the TV and the X1 box as being properly set. And considering that as I am a former Marine and a Hillbilly from Tennessee, I am still able to hit a basket ball sized target at 100 yards with ease, I am certain there is no problem with my eye sight. So if you don't mind, PLEASE stop complaining (or even berating) others for having a problem seeing the guide comfortably. I know my service to our great nation gives you a right to freedom of speach, it also gives your the right to remain silent. Please observe this right and respect others dealing with this frustrating situation. This forum allows them to vent without tying up technical support for hours. I am certain that Comcast is working hard to resolve this issue especially with all these comments. I foresee this issue of the font size will go away in time. So for now enjoy the many AWESOME features of the X1 digital box, be patient, be respectful and most of all, may God bless each of us... Respectfully, Robert D. Rose Jr., BSW, MEd., Semper Fidelis...

I am not surprised the Guide doesn't display well on a projection screen.

I seriously doubt Comcast considered all the different display devices their X1 customers would be using.  The Guide just won't work on a PC monitor or a small SD TV.

New Poster

I've read all the follow-up postings.  I see no solution to the "font too small".  I just got the X1 system this week and I cannot read the guide.  HOWEVER, I was able to read the guide on my previous system on the same TV, from the same distance.  That makes no sense to me to know that they cannot enlarge the font "at this time."  I am not visually impaired.  According to this forum - this issue has been around too long without doing something about it.

Expert

@jk15 wrote:

I've read all the follow-up postings.  I see no solution to the "font too small".  I just got the X1 system this week and I cannot read the guide.  HOWEVER, I was able to read the guide on my previous system on the same TV, from the same distance.  That makes no sense to me to know that they cannot enlarge the font "at this time."  I am not visually impaired.  According to this forum - this issue has been around too long without doing something about it.

if you have an HD tv, note that default install of X1 is at 720. hit the buttons exit exit exit 1080

menu looks sharper?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Silver Problem Solver

@jk15 wrote:

A screenshot would be a big help.

New Poster

thanks for your responses.  I tried setting my TV to 1080HD and it did not make a difference.  Perhaps each brand of TV is different.  Maybe someday, Comcast will care enough to address this ongoing problem.

Silver Problem Solver

Come on guys, post screenshots of the hard to read text. I'm sure part of the reason Comcast hasn't fixed this yet is because people are not posting screenshots, so they cannot see/reproduce the problem.

New Poster

@John3758 wrote:

Come on guys, post screenshots of the hard to read text. I'm sure part of the reason Comcast hasn't fixed this yet is because people are not posting screenshots, so they cannot see/reproduce the problem.

Ask me if I have any sympathy that Comcast cannot see the problem.

Regular Visitor

Re: how can i make my guide page brighter, can't read programs

Trying to find a solution myself - when I fiirst bring the guide up, if fades in brightness.

I like the old version of the guide - at least it could be read

Regular Visitor

Very unhappy with theX1 guide, the font is too small and to dim, I can bearly read it - at least I NEED A WAY TO MAKE IT BRIGHTER, I wish that I hadn't renewed my contract a couple of months ago - would get only internet and stream any TV i needed

The old guide was much better

Silver Problem Solver

Once again, please post screenshots. If there is a technical issue, we cannot acknowledge it and Comcast cannot fix it until we/they see it, and until then will continue to blame the user's eyesight or their TV.

Problem Solver

@HAH1 wrote:

Very unhappy with theX1 guide, the font is too small and to dim, I can bearly read it - at least I NEED A WAY TO MAKE IT BRIGHTER, I wish that I hadn't renewed my contract a couple of months ago - would get only internet and stream any TV i needed

The old guide was much better

X1 text is pure white. Your TV probably has a setting that is dimming the screen based on the black background.

Regular Visitor

I love all the responses from everyone about this problem to. I gave up on trying to read the guide i just go online and read what i want to watch on the guide.  thanks

Silver Problem Solver

@dzthornton wrote:

@John3758 wrote:

In other words, you don't want us to help you with your issue?

We are not Comcast employees, except for the Comcast mods, whose names are in red.

Most Valued Poster

Please stop asking for screen shots of the font. Some have done this and you cannot see what we see from looking at a screenshot. We don't post that we can't read the guide/program info just to hear ourselves talk. There is a font problem...too small and or the contrast of stark white on black blurs the lettering. If we say we can't read it....we CAN'T read it. Large or small HD tv, sitting appropriate distance or not.....can't read it.

No more asking us to take pictures of the screen,  measure the font, change the background color, measure the distance from the tv, suggest that we sit closer or buy a bigger tv.  And please no more questions about our age or visual acuity.  They are all moot points...we can't read the darn stuff. For  those who are visually impaired ...this is an accessiblity issue Comcast is not adressing but if you are hard of hearing you can adjust the font color and size under Closed Caption to your heart's content.

Most Valued Poster

@John3758 wrote:

Once again, please post screenshots. If there is a technical issue, we cannot acknowledge it and Comcast cannot fix it until we/they see it, and until then will continue to blame the user's eyesight or their TV.

Are you a Comcast tech who is going to diagnose the problem using a screenshot? If not who do you think in Comcast is going to look at screenshots on the forum and make a determination? Has Comcast officially blamed it on our eyesight? They better NOT. If a user suspects its technical in nature then they should call for a tech to visit their home but too many have the same issue and I 100% doubt its technical.  It was fine before they changed the guide and decided to use blinding white on black as the default w/o being able to change it.

Silver Problem Solver

A screenshot would make it easier for us to make a case to the Comcast mods.

Silver Problem Solver

@TerriB wrote:

@John3758 wrote:

Are you a Comcast tech who is going to diagnose the problem using a screenshot? If not who do you think in Comcast is going to look at screenshots on the forum and make a determination? Has Comcast officially blamed it on our eyesight? They better NOT. If a user suspects its technical in nature then they should call for a tech to visit their home but too many have the same issue and I 100% doubt its technical.  It was fine before they changed the guide and decided to use blinding white on black as the default w/o being able to change it.

Comcast has, in the past, seen user screenshots here on the forums and fixed issues after those screenshots have been posted, while the issue was completely unacknowledged prior to the user posting the screenshots.

If you are one of the people complaining, and there is a technical issue, yet you refuse to post a scheenshot simply because you believe there is not a technical issue, then you are part of the problem that is causing Comcast to take so long to fix the issue. Taking a screenshot is not a hard thing to do and should only take 1 or 2 minutes of your time.

New Poster

@RobertWy wrote:

@dzthornton wrote:

@John3758 wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

@dzthornton wrote:

@John3758 wrote:

In other words, you don't want us to help you with your issue?

Of course I'd take actual help (instead of innumerable suggestions to buy a new TV or sit closer).
You don't "see" the irony that Comcast need screen shots so they can , so they can "see/reproduce the problem."
Problem Solver

This is a user to user forum. Comcast can choose to participate in the forum or not.  

So, "Comcast" is not asking for a screenshot of your TV, but rather forum users such as yourself, are asking to see a screenshot.  They would like this so they might be able to help you with your problem.  Obviously you would rather not provide the screenshot, so how is anyone suppose to offer any assistance to you?

EDIT:  And here is a picture of my TV with Guide on taken from about 12 feet away.  See how easy it is to add a screenshot.

SAM_2879a.jpg

And here is just the TV part of the above picture, without zooming in:

SAM_2879b.jpg

@dzthornton wrote:
You don't "see" the irony that Comcast need screen shots so they can , so they can "see/reproduce the problem."

Of course I'd take actual help (instead of innumerable suggestions to buy a new TV or sit closer).

New Poster

See how easy it is to add a screenshot.

Ah HA.  So you really want a picture of the screen.  Not a screen shot.  Semantics matter.

Most Valued Poster

My tv screen looks like the one just posted.  Blurry unless I am a foot from the screen. I take exception that some think I am not willing to post a screen shot of my TV. I just don't see the need. Some of us have done this in the past and nothing has been done regardless of whether  it could be a technical issue or not. No one at Comcast has offered to assist us with the font/contrast issue no matter how many complain. We just want options to change font/contrast . The option used to be under general settings but was removed in 2014.  Those who report  are from all over so I am pretty sure its not technical.