Community Forum

Font too small on the X1 Guide Channel

Most Valued Poster

Re: Font too small on the X1 Guide Channel

@ComcastSarah wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@ComcastSarah wrote:
TerriB, Got it, thanks for the detail. The changes we made are only on the Grid Guide screen. The brief description that appears in the lower part of the screen of the Grid Guide is included in the changes. The stand alone pop up window is not included in this first phase of changes. But this is great feedback and is exactly the kind of information we are looking for to help in our next iteration. 

That makes no sense. Why change just part of it? What good is being able to read the guide and not be able to read the program description? I was excited about this and now I am extremely disappointed.   All the input from users about the font and Comcast only goes half way?  Are we are not considered smart enough to test and feedback on something we have fought so hard for? What happened to the 'code' for the font options we had until 2014?

Although it is not a difficult change to programmatically increase the font size, it is a huge effort on the testing side. For every screen you change the font size, you have to ensure that the font properly displays and doesn’t run off the screen, clip strangely, etc. It’s not something we can change in a matter of just a month.

We also do not have a clear understanding of what design elements are causing customers to have trouble reading the Guide. It may be font size for one person, but color contrast for another person. As many customers have commented in this forum thread, TV’s display interfaces differently. The point of this setting in Labs is to test a few changes and get feedback from customers about what the best solution is before we completely overhaul the entire system.

It would be irresponsible to make assumptions about the problem and solution and waste engineering and testing efforts if it doesn’t actually solve the problem.

Sarah, hows about letting a few of the users with the problem test the changes. We are the ones who say we need font options but are not the ones testing it? Only we know what will work and what won't. Most companies choose beta testers from their user universe but never heard of that from Comcast. Are users who fought so hard for font options not smart enought to test and feedback and be involved in the process? What happened to the 'code' for font options that was in X1 general settings until it was removed in 2014?

Official Employee

@TerriB wrote:

@ComcastSarah wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@ComcastSarah wrote:
TerriB, Got it, thanks for the detail. The changes we made are only on the Grid Guide screen. The brief description that appears in the lower part of the screen of the Grid Guide is included in the changes. The stand alone pop up window is not included in this first phase of changes. But this is great feedback and is exactly the kind of information we are looking for to help in our next iteration. 

That makes no sense. Why change just part of it? What good is being able to read the guide and not be able to read the program description? I was excited about this and now I am extremely disappointed.   All the input from users about the font and Comcast only goes half way?  Are we are not considered smart enough to test and feedback on something we have fought so hard for? What happened to the 'code' for the font options we had until 2014?

Although it is not a difficult change to programmatically increase the font size, it is a huge effort on the testing side. For every screen you change the font size, you have to ensure that the font properly displays and doesn’t run off the screen, clip strangely, etc. It’s not something we can change in a matter of just a month.

We also do not have a clear understanding of what design elements are causing customers to have trouble reading the Guide. It may be font size for one person, but color contrast for another person. As many customers have commented in this forum thread, TV’s display interfaces differently. The point of this setting in Labs is to test a few changes and get feedback from customers about what the best solution is before we completely overhaul the entire system.

It would be irresponsible to make assumptions about the problem and solution and waste engineering and testing efforts if it doesn’t actually solve the problem.

Sarah, hows about letting a few of the users with the problem test the changes. We are the ones who say we need font options but are not the ones testing it? Only we know what will work and what won't. Most companies choose beta testers from their user universe but never heard of that from Comcast. Are users who fought so hard for font options not smart enought to test and feedback and be involved in the process? What happened to the 'code' for font options that was in X1 general settings until it was removed in 2014?

My earlier post did request feedback and I asked for users to post in this thread. I know many of the people who comment in this thread have the problem, which is exactly why I requested for feedback to be posted here. Thanks everyone in this channel for your help and I look forward to reading your posts once this is in production. I will comment again in a few weeks when the feature is in production.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Most Valued Poster

@ComcastSarah wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@ComcastSarah wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@ComcastSarah wrote:

My earlier post did request feedback and I asked for users to post in this thread. I know many of the people who comment in this thread have the problem, which is exactly why I requested for feedback to be posted here. Thanks everyone in this channel for your help and I look forward to reading your posts once this is in production. I will comment again in a few weeks when the feature is in production.

=== And it is greatly appreciated that you asked for our feedback but it will be after the changes are made and we have a chance to try it. What I meant was for us to be involved in the development process and test before release. Thats the way all features should be rolled out......test before release. X1 has had a multitude of  release  bugs and perhaps pre-release testing by users may have be helpful.  Thanks

Expert
Moved:

Trolling / flaming post and response quoting the same removed.

Gold Problem Solver

I was asked to participate in the trial. I took them up on that offer.

There were no bugs. Simple process to change the font size on the guide. Change it, wait a few seconds for the change to take effect, then enjoy the bigger font on the guide.

Four options: Default, Big, Bigger, Biggest.

Due to how far away from the tv I am one box is set to Bigger and another one to Biggest.

No more eye strain from trying to read the guide.

The only thing I mentioned was for me the background is ok-black with white font, but for others it may not be.

An option to change it to a different color, which is possible on Legacy boxes, would be a good feature to have. I would actually like to have it dark blue.

The pop out description box font size is also ok for me as it was a bit bigger than Default on the guide. However, if others need that to be larger it would be nice to have an option to make it larger. Just because it is ok for me now does not mean it will be in the future.

Gold Problem Solver

I think this is GREAT news and I sincerely hope Comcast pulls off this big change properly and without any negative side effects.

New Poster

TV Guide

Is there a way to make the guide larger? I'm having trouble reading it without moving closer to the TV. 

Gold Problem Solver

Re: TV Guide

Improvements are coming soon on your concern but there is nothing you can change at the moment.

Feel free to use the forum search box to learn more about your concern.

You may want to read the last few pages of this long running thread: http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/Font-too-small-on-the-X1-Guide-Channel/td-p/2043527/page/21

@jaracer wrote:

Is there a way to make the guide larger? I'm having trouble reading it without moving closer to the TV. 

New Poster

High Contrast needed for guide

The onscreen guide is essentially a very thin, grey font on a black background.  Can't see it from across the room.  It really needs to be accessible to people with vision problems - the ability to boldface, to increase font size, to increase contrast - these are basic ADA fixes that Comcast/Xfinity does not have.  

PLEASE PRIORITIZE this!

Regular Contributor

Re: High Contrast needed for guide

I also feel that the font size needs to be made adjustable on the guide along with background colors. I have extremely poor vision and can't use the guide due to it's small font. 

Most Valued Poster

Re: TV Guide

@jaracer wrote:

Please read the most recent posts on this subject. Your question is answered.

Most Valued Poster

@firefly33 wrote:

I also feel that the font size needs to be made adjustable on the guide along with background colors. I have extremely poor vision and can't use the guide due to it's small font. 

Please read the recent posts on this subject. Our font size issue have finally been addressed.

Most Valued Poster

@Mamanez54 wrote:

The onscreen guide is essentially a very thin, grey font on a black background.  Can't see it from across the room.  It really needs to be accessible to people with vision problems - the ability to boldface, to increase font size, to increase contrast - these are basic ADA fixes that Comcast/Xfinity does not have.  

PLEASE PRIORITIZE this!

Please read recent posts on this subject. After 2 yrs of input and begging...lol....they are finally going to have a way for us to increase the font so lets see how much it helps  I agree increasing contrast and make text bolder would also be a great asset.

Most Valued Poster

Re: make font larger

As one of the squeakiest wheels for 2 yrs about the need for font options ( I have had a lot of  company on this subject) I have been wondering why hardly anyone is posting positive response ( even if tentative) about the Comcast Labs option we were just told is coming soon to give us the option to increase the guide font. I was 'sort of ' positive...lol.  Now I am puzzled why there are   new posts wanting a way to increase the font and change contrast.  Very recent posts have given us a partial fix  answer. I am only suggesting that before we post as a new issue .....check recent entries. Message 994 by Comcast Sarah outlines the upcoming Labs option and message 1005 by  expert/tester Queen Evie gives more detail.

Gold Problem Solver

I do hope they take it out of Comcast Labs and put it in Accessibility or Preferences/General.

Most Valued Poster

@Queen-Evie wrote:

I do hope they take it out of Comcast Labs and put it in Accessibility or Preferences/General.

ME TOO! Before it was taken away in 2014  it was in General Preferences.

Regular Contributor

I wasn't even aware of this, I had unsubscribed from this thread because it got phenomenally tedious reading endless t1t-for-tat between people denying any issue, and those proclaiming it's an issue for all.

This is good news, and I have to wonder, for those of you up here who said the issue was all in people's heads (or bad TV's, or weak eyes), how do you explain this?

Most Valued Poster

@MrScott1 wrote:

I wasn't even aware of this, I had unsubscribed from this thread because it got phenomenally tedious reading endless t1t-for-tat between people denying any issue, and those proclaiming it's an issue for all.

This is good news, and I have to wonder, for those of you up here who said the issue was all in people's heads (or bad TV's, or weak eyes), how do you explain this?

I like your 'wonder' question but I sure don't want  those without a 'dog in the fight' to jump all over us again and say we need a bigger tv, sit closer, get new glasses, change tv brightness settings,etc.  If someone is happy with the font.....good for them.... but they should stay out of the conversation except perhaps to say 'good' about new options that are coming for those who need them. And God forbid the currently happy campers check out the new options (you know they will!) and make snide remarks rather than NOT USE them.

Frequent Visitor

My wife and I are new to X1 and also are having problems reading the 'Guide' because of the size of the font and current highlighted color. I've read through the first and last several pages of this LONG thread, and I understand Comcast is working on resolving this.

I'd just like to request that Comcast also incorporate the upcoming adjustment options to include all the text encountered when invoking the 'Xfinity' button and the folders and setting options you encounter after doing so. Thanks!

Most Valued Poster

@b12 wrote:

My wife and I are new to X1 and also are having problems reading the 'Guide' because of the size of the font and current highlighted color. I've read through the first and last several pages of this LONG thread, and I understand Comcast is working on resolving this.

I'd just like to request that Comcast also incorporate the upcoming adjustment options to include all the text encountered when invoking the 'Xfinity' button and the folders and setting options you encounter after doing so. Thanks!

Welcome to the neverending saga of the font/contrast issue. Its taken us over two years to get them to listen and get this guide font option tested and  soon to be trialed in Comcast Labs. I also  would like to be able to read text where ever it appears in X1 but we take what we can get I guess. One small step?

Gold Problem Solver

b12 wrote:

If they could do that it would be wonderful.

They also need to figure out a way to make something else larger: When going to Recorded shows, clicking on Info for a show will tell you what the episode is about. Right now, it is small font and difficult for me (and I am sure it is for others) to easily see.

Most Valued Poster

@Queen-Evie wrote:

They also need to figure out a way to make something else larger: When going to Recorded shows, clicking on Info for a show will tell you what the episode is about. Right now, it is small font and difficult for me (and I am sure it is for others) to easily see.

My biggest issue was not being able to read the full show info in the pop up window so guess that will still be a problem but will take what I can at this point. <Sigh>

New Poster

On Screen Guide

New guide is hard to read - where do I go to change settings such as fonts and colors?

Previous on screen quide had background color differences for; regular shows, movies, and sports - how to I get that on new system?

Can font be changed to make it easier to read.

Expert

Re: On Screen Guide

@confusednewuser wrote:

New guide is hard to read - where do I go to change settings such as fonts and colors?

Previous on screen quide had background color differences for; regular shows, movies, and sports - how to I get that on new system?

Can font be changed to make it easier to read.

in short, you can't. if it is a question on font size too there is a forum thread

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/Font-too-small-on-the-X1-Guide-Channel/m-p/2793339#M112148

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Reading the program guide

Being new to the forums I did a search to see if this has been covered before...not only has it been covered, it appears to be one of the top issues users have! Post after post of complaints about not being able to read the font. Does anybody know if this is something Comcast has any intention of addressing (not just acknowledging, but doing something about it)? We have a 40" and 42" TV's, no eye sight problems and still can't look at that screen without getting a headache.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Reading the program guide

@justmeeee wrote:

Being new to the forums I did a search to see if this has been covered before...not only has it been covered, it appears to be one of the top issues users have! Post after post of complaints about not being able to read the font. Does anybody know if this is something Comcast has any intention of addressing (not just acknowledging, but doing something about it)? We have a 40" and 42" TV's, no eye sight problems and still can't look at that screen without getting a headache.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/Font-too-small-on-the-X1-Guide-Channel/m-p/2790768#M111697

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Official Employee

Guide Readability is going to be available for everyone this weekend - likely Saturday. To check it out, go to Settings > Comcast Labs > Guide Readability. 

From here, you will see a preview of each of the options, including the original default view which exists today. Once you have had a chance to try it out, I'd love feedback reported in this channel. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Most Valued Poster

@ComcastSarah wrote:

Guide Readability is going to be available for everyone this weekend - likely Saturday. To check it out, go to Settings > Comcast Labs > Guide Readability. 

From here, you will see a preview of each of the options, including the original default view which exists today. Once you have had a chance to try it out, I'd love feedback reported in this channel. 

Looking forward to the new Labs feature and you know we will give feedback....thanks

New Poster

TV GUIDE FONT SIZE

Is there a way to make the Guide larger for easier reading?

Regular Contributor

Re: TV GUIDE FONT SIZE

As has been discussed in this forum ad nauseum, in a word, no.  There is only one way to make the font bigger, and that is by buying a bigger TV.

Silver Problem Solver

@Seaglass2 wrote:

See if this answers your question:

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/Font-too-small-on-the-X1-Guide-Channel/m-p/2790768#M111697

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

feedback

can't read blue print in guide, sometime close caption double prints on screen

Diamond Problem Solver

@Seaglass2 wrote:

Guide Readability has now been added to Comcast Labs 

Xfinity button to Gear Menu to Comcast Labs to Guide Readability

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Expert

@CCAndrew wrote:

@Seaglass2 wrote:

Thank you for the update Andrew.  This should provide many users with the option to increase the font size of the guide & the background contrast when the rollout has been completed to all areas.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Frequent Visitor

MY FEEDBACK:

Viewing my 52" set, I would definitely choose option #3 (largest font). To me I don't see much (if any difference) whether the font is white or gray. It's the SIZE that is important, and I like the larger 'poster art'. However, I'd like to add some additional comments here.

1-The blueish color Comcast has chosen to use for 'highlighted selections' has to go. I can barely see it, let alone read it. On a black background a bright orange or yellow would easily stand out.

2-Not only should the horizontal lines showing the channel lineup be enlarged, but so should the font above it, which displays the dates and times to match the format of the grid selected by the viewer.

3-Very importantly as well, I'd like to request that Comcast also incorporate the adjustment options to include all the text encountered when invoking the 'Xfinity' button, like the folders and setting options you come across after doing so. This should also include widening the progress bar and the times it indicates when fast forwarding through a recording.
I am far from an expert on what would be needed to be done to accomplish my ideas, but I would think that it should be possible for the viewer to select only ONE option, and have it affect all of the above. Thanks!

Valued Contributor

@CCAndrew wrote:

@Seaglass2 wrote:

Found a bug. Guide readability options are not applied when using the "Info" button for program information. The program information remains at the default setting. The guide readability settings are only applied to the guide itself when using the "Guide" button. Nice try though.

Example: When watching a channel, press the "Info" button for programming information, you will notice that the readability option that was selected for the guide has not been applied when using the "Info" button.

Valued Contributor

ComcastSarah, my opinion is,

I wouldn't use option 3 as it takes away a line from the guide.  Why would I want to go from 5 lines of listings down to four when one of those lines is going to be an ad?  By making the font and art larger you are taking away information on the screen causing me to scroll down more or press more buttons to see the same amount of information that I can see now.  I wouldn't use the other options either but I do kinda like the grey font,  I just think the larger size is unnecessary on a TV larger than, say, 46". 

I'd be more interested in different options for backround colors and font color, or even an option for more lines of listings and less info at the bottom, something that would allow me to see more channels at once, thus making me scroll less.... or perhaps getting rid of the time, temp and the header at the top of the screen that tells me that I am looking at the "Guide", something I am fairly sure everyone is able to determine on their own since, more than likely, we would have just pressed the "Guide" button to get to that screen. An extra line of listings could easily fit in the space at the top of the screen where the unecessary header is now.

I'll stay with the original option since I can see it just fine on my 65" Samsung TV.  I say all this thinking that these different options for colors and size should have been something that was incorporated into the X1 platform years ago.

Regular Contributor

Currently using one of the larger font sizes. I like it, solves an issue for me. However, like the previous poster, we can do without some of the fluff on screen, like the top header.

Expert

@jwmccnn wrote:

ComcastSarah, my opinion is,

I wouldn't use option 3 as it takes away a line from the guide.  Why would I want to go from 5 lines of listings down to four when one of those lines is going to be an ad?  By making the font and art larger you are taking away information on the screen causing me to scroll down more or press more buttons to see the same amount of information that I can see now.  I wouldn't use the other options either but I do kinda like the grey font,  I just think the larger size is unnecessary on a TV larger than, say, 46". 

I'd be more interested in different options for backround colors and font color, or even an option for more lines of listings and less info at the bottom, something that would allow me to see more channels at once, thus making me scroll less.... or perhaps getting rid of the time, temp and the header at the top of the screen that tells me that I am looking at the "Guide", something I am fairly sure everyone is able to determine on their own since, more than likely, we would have just pressed the "Guide" button to get to that screen. An extra line of listings could easily fit in the space at the top of the screen where the unecessary header is now.

I'll stay with the original option since I can see it just fine on my 65" Samsung TV.  I say all this thinking that these different options for colors and size should have been something that was incorporated into the X1 platform years ago.

one was 'ok' but not needed on my TV for viewing (back to default). I do note that the same issue still happens in that the text once scrolled 'off' of is darker than it was prior to the cursor being over the text (as if once the cursor stops on a listing it is dimmed similar to a web page link after it has been used).

Gold Problem Solver

My initial reactions to this change...

I applaud Comcast for their efforts on this issue. I have tested the different sizes on my 65" and 55" TVs and I will be sticking with the default settings on those sets. I can read the text on the default settings and I want to see as much information at one glance as I can.

However I will test the larger settings on my 42" and 40" TV sets.

I sincerely hope this "change" helps people. It may or may not help me.

Most Valued Poster

@RadTV wrote:

@CCAndrew wrote:

@Seaglass2 wrote:

Found a bug. Guide readability options are not applied when using the "Info" button for program information. The program information remains at the default setting. The guide readability settings are only applied to the guide itself when using the "Guide" button. Nice try though.

Example: When watching a channel, press the "Info" button for programming information, you will notice that the readability option that was selected for the guide has not been applied when using the "Info" button.

Its not a bug. They didn't address the 'info' pop up window. Its mentioned on here somewhere by a Comcast Rep...Sarah I think.  They only addressed the guide itself as you noticed. We use the pop up info window all the time and its still hard to read.

Most Valued Poster

Happy campers here for what I hope is just  phase one of more to come!  Using  option 3  we can read the guide well for the first time. Thank you so much!

Having said that-  I will poach/echo  others’ great  feedback  and add  some. Nice to see ‘like minded feedback’.

1. Font options should be for all information retrieved with the Xfinity button. It took  a long time to get the guide font options  into Labs and all we can do is request that work begin sooner than later on the rest.  Adjustment options  should include all the text encountered when invoking the 'Xfinity' button, like the folders and setting options you come across after doing so. An options change should affect all text.
  2. Our biggest issue has been and still is the pop up program info window where the ‘meat’ is and it really  needs to part of the font option.  The info at the bottom of the screen when a program is highlighted on the guide screen  is not  always complete about a show. Now that the guide is larger the info window font ‘looks’  even smaller  in comparison. Eyes adjust to the new larger guide font and then wham...right back to not being able to read the complete info.
  3. The blueish color Comcast has chosen to use for 'highlighted selections' is horrible
  4. We don’t see the difference in ‘gray’ now compared to ‘white’…looks the same and still bad contrast .

I see the same old ‘no dog in the fight’ comments  by those who don’t need to increase the font as  theirs is fine or it makes fewer guide lines, etc…..then  don’t use the new options…..….Jeez. Glad you tried them but please  respect those who need the font increases.  In my home we are thrilled to be able to read the guide and scrolling is not a problem to see more channels and never has been.  In the past some wanted even more lines that we had before this font option came about. How tiny do you want the font?The screen can only hold so many lines and whats the big deal about scrolling? How many lines can a person absorb at the same time anyway? My goodness…..! Same kind of issue with the 'in guide' show name. Its not all there with larger font but its always at the bottom of the screen so not a big deal to divert eyes downward.

Valued Contributor

@ComcastSarah wrote:

If you're going to change the font size then the change should be uniformed to include program desciptions. For insistance, I'm not going to press the Guide button every time I want to read the description but instead I'm going to press the "Info" button. While doing so, I will also choose "Movie Info" or "Series  Info" options to read the program information.

Valued Contributor

@TerriB wrote:

@RadTV wrote:

@CCAndrew wrote:

@Seaglass2 wrote:

Its not a bug. They didn't address the 'info' pop up window. Its mentioned on here somewhere by a Comcast Rep...Sarah I think.  They only addressed the guide itself as you noticed. We use the pop up info window all the time and its still hard to read.

I thought it was a bug because I thought the font size change would have been uniformed.

Most Valued Poster

@RadTV wrote:

@ComcastSarah wrote:

If you're going to change the font size then the change should be uniformed to include program desciptions. For insistance, I'm not going to press the Guide button every time I want to read the description but instead I'm going to press the "Info" button. While doing so, I will also choose "Movie Info" or "Series  Info" options to read the program information.

@RadTV wrote:

@ComcastSarah wrote:

Rad....I totally agree. Font anywhere on X1 should be able to be enlarged. 

Gwen.......The font on the program description on the guide does not match the guide font size when using the new options. Looks a bit bigger but not much.

Contributor

TerriB, you should be happy to know, if you don't already, that there is finally an option to increase the font size in the X1 guide. Under Comcast Labs there is a new feature called Guide Readability with 3 options. The only issue I have with it, is that the info popup text (push the info button twice) doesn't increase accordingly.
Gold Problem Solver

Oh she knows, trust me she knows.. LOL
Most Valued Poster

@Jellymore wrote:
TerriB, you should be happy to know, if you don't already, that there is finally an option to increase the font size in the X1 guide. Under Comcast Labs there is a new feature called Guide Readability with 3 options. The only issue I have with it, is that the info popup text (push the info button twice) doesn't increase accordingly.

Jellymore....if you read some of the recent posts on here you will see my input on this change. I was one of the ones who have been pushing for this change for way over a year. YES...huge issue that they didn't include the info popup window. To me its the most important part of the guide and now it looks even smaller in comparison to the font option 3 I am using.

Most Valued Poster

@RickGr4 wrote:
Oh she knows, trust me she knows.. LOL

🙃🙃🙃

Contributor

TerriB, I know you have been asking for this for a long time, and I appreciate that you have stuck with it despite the negativity of some of those here on the forums. It's nice to see that this has finally been addressed, albeit unsatisfactorily. I agree with your concerns about the info popup and I hope that you will be heard on that as well. I appreciate you being an advocate for those of us who don't have 60" HDTVs or the best vision. Thanks!