Community Forum

Font too small on the X1 Guide Channel

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Font too small on the X1 Guide Channel

That's strange.  Can you turn down the brightness on the TV?


I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Most Valued Poster

Re: Font too small on the X1 Guide Channel


@RobertWy wrote:

That's strange.  Can you turn down the brightness on the TV?


Its not a tv issue. Its the old small font/thin font/glaring white font  on black background issue. The old dead horse beating issue. Only way to make it better at all is to revert to 480p but that eliminates apps on X1 so that is not an option.

 

Regular Visitor

Re: Font too small on the X1 Guide Channel

Lol-can't believe RobertWy would write:
"That's strange. Can you turn down the brightness on the TV?" knowing full well that wouldn't do squat. Puleeze...
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Re: Too small guide letters and black background on guide.

I think they're flagging people who've complained in a matter they don't like… I'm usually straightforward and right to the point and my stuff gets deleted all the time. In fact I highly suspect that this message will be deleted not long after it's posted. :-)
Most Valued Poster

Re: Too small guide letters and black background on guide.


@orlisgal wrote:
I think they're flagging people who've complained in a matter they don't like… I'm usually straightforward and right to the point and my stuff gets deleted all the time. In fact I highly suspect that this message will be deleted not long after it's posted. :-)

That is most distressing to hear.  Shame on them for deleting your posts.  I speak my mind too....openly and often. These forums are for problem solving and reporting issues and if they call that complaining....so be it and deleting messages is unacceptable unless they violate the rules. We have a lot to complain about for all the money we pay them every month.

New Poster

Can you make the letters bigger in the guide

Can you make the letters bigger in the guide 

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Can you make the letters bigger in the guide

Assuming your TV is connected using HDMI and you have the X1 box resolution set properly then no, there are no further adjustments. It is what it is.

FYI, this is topic that is discussed quite often in this forum. Feel free to search the forum if you would like to learn more.


@Ct1991 wrote:

Can you make the letters bigger in the guide 





New Poster

Re: Too small guide letters and black background on guide.

Count me in on this. Just got the X1 and my wife is complaining bitterly.

 

Harry

Contributor

Re: Too small guide letters and black background on guide.

And don't you love how Comcast has marked this problem as "solved?" I'll bet your heart leapt a little when you saw that a solution was to be found within this thread, and you thought you found the cure for your wife complaints.

 

We agree. So many on this board are so unhappy that Comcast does not seem to care what a big deal this is for many of us. And to marked this problem as solved is an insult. Last I heard, they aren't even working on it. 

Frequent Visitor

Re: Too small guide letters and black background on guide.

I just had our legacy box swapped to a new X1 OS box and the menu is entirely disappointing.  I have a 46" CCFL set (8 years old) but optimized via a BlueRay Disc.  I view from 14' away.  I have no problems reading the tiny white on black movie credits from a pure 1080p source.

 

It's like the X1 menu is presented in SD format.  My X1 box settings have been changed from 16:9 1080i HD to 1080p60 HD to no avail.  Yes, there are blue font highlights which are very difficult to read.

I've read through the first couple of pages of posts on this support forum dating back to 2014.  No real solution looks like it has been presented.

Yes, I am looking for an excuse to upgrade to a 65" or better set but the X1 menus remain a major complaint.  I also miss the ability to display the channel on the X1 box display.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Too small guide letters and black background on guide.

Regardless of X1 guide font size, considering a viewing distance of 14 feet, a 46 inch TV is much too small.

My primary TV is a 65 inch that I sit 8.5 feet away from.

There is an article posted on Wikipedia discussing optimum TV viewing distances that is worth reading. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optimum_HDTV_viewing_distance

FYI, from everything that we have seen and heard, all future Comcast X1 boxes will not have any front panel display.



@Pipemajor wrote:

I just had our legacy box swapped to a new X1 OS box and the menu is entirely disappointing.  I have a 46" CCFL set (8 years old) but optimized via a BlueRay Disc.  I view from 14' away.  I have no problems readying the tiny white on black movie credits from a pure 1080p source.

 

It's like the X1 menu is presented in SD format.  My X1 box settings have been changed from 16:9 1080i HD to 1080p60 HD to no avail.  Yes, there are blue font highlights which are very difficult to read.

I've read through the first couple of pages of posts on this support forum dating back to 2014.  No real solution looks like it has been presented.

Yes, I am looking for an excuse to upgrade to a 65" or better set but the X1 menus remain a major complaint.  I also miss the ability to display the channel on the X1 box display.





Frequent Visitor

Re: Too small guide letters and black background on guide.

I'm fully aware of optimum viewing distances vs. screen size but the wife is bitterly opposed to getting a larger set - although she is the one who watches the bulk of TV programming.  I might add that she was also in the habit of watching the old SD channel listings because she was familiar with them.  She is not aware that X1 has a setting to automatically tune to the HD version of the program. Smiley Happy  She claimed she couldn't tell the difference between SD and HD.

I previously had a 36" 4:3 CRT set and chose the 46" 16:9 set as a replacement because the viewing height was the same on both and I could not really afford a 52" back in 2007.

I've found larger computer LCD panels usually did not help with font size/resolution.  Oftentimes the font would be even smaller and I'd simply get more blank space.

I've only had the X1 offering for a week - still learning it's intracacies but mostly I'm liking it - save for the difficult-to-read menus and the lack of the X1 box to display the channel currently tuned to.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Too small guide letters and black background on guide.


@Pipemajor wrote:


I've only had the X1 offering for a week - still learning it's intracacies but mostly I'm liking it - save for the difficult-to-read menus and the lack of the X1 box to display the channel currently tuned to.


Comcast has an HD DTA that I use with my kitchen LED TV.  It has a non-graphical interface and is very easy to read.  $3.99/mo.

 

http://www.xfinity.com/digitalguidehd

 

 


I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Most Valued Poster

Re: Too small guide letters and black background on guide.


@RickGr4 wrote:

Regardless of X1 guide font size, considering a viewing distance of 14 feet, a 46 inch TV is much too small.

My primary TV is a 65 inch that I sit 8.5 feet away from.

There is an article posted on Wikipedia discussing optimum TV viewing distances that is worth reading. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optimum_HDTV_viewing_distance

FYI, from everything that we have seen and heard, all future Comcast X1 boxes will not have any front panel display.



@Pipemajor wrote:

I just had our legacy box swapped to a new X1 OS box and the menu is entirely disappointing.  I have a 46" CCFL set (8 years old) but optimized via a BlueRay Disc.  I view from 14' away.  I have no problems readying the tiny white on black movie credits from a pure 1080p source.

 

It's like the X1 menu is presented in SD format.  My X1 box settings have been changed from 16:9 1080i HD to 1080p60 HD to no avail.  Yes, there are blue font highlights which are very difficult to read.

I've read through the first couple of pages of posts on this support forum dating back to 2014.  No real solution looks like it has been presented.

Yes, I am looking for an excuse to upgrade to a 65" or better set but the X1 menus remain a major complaint.  I also miss the ability to display the channel on the X1 box display.






Rick, should I have to be 2 feet from a 42" to read the program information?  Thats they way it is here with our relatively new HD set.  I am wearing a path in the carpet.

 

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Too small guide letters and black background on guide.

TB,

In my not always humble opinion and regardless of the X1 guide font:

- Viewing distance of 6 to 10 feet = a 55" TV.
- Viewing distance of 8 to 12 feet = a 65" TV.
- Viewing distance of 10 to 15 feet = a 75" TV.
- Viewing distance of 13 to 14 feet or more = an 85" TV (Yes you read that correctly).

I have been involved with the sales and installation of TVs for almost 40 years so I would like to think I know a little about them...




@TerriB wrote:

@RickGr4 wrote:

Regardless of X1 guide font size, considering a viewing distance of 14 feet, a 46 inch TV is much too small.

My primary TV is a 65 inch that I sit 8.5 feet away from.

There is an article posted on Wikipedia discussing optimum TV viewing distances that is worth reading. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optimum_HDTV_viewing_distance

FYI, from everything that we have seen and heard, all future Comcast X1 boxes will not have any front panel display.



@Pipemajor wrote:

I just had our legacy box swapped to a new X1 OS box and the menu is entirely disappointing.  I have a 46" CCFL set (8 years old) but optimized via a BlueRay Disc.  I view from 14' away.  I have no problems readying the tiny white on black movie credits from a pure 1080p source.

 

It's like the X1 menu is presented in SD format.  My X1 box settings have been changed from 16:9 1080i HD to 1080p60 HD to no avail.  Yes, there are blue font highlights which are very difficult to read.

I've read through the first couple of pages of posts on this support forum dating back to 2014.  No real solution looks like it has been presented.

Yes, I am looking for an excuse to upgrade to a 65" or better set but the X1 menus remain a major complaint.  I also miss the ability to display the channel on the X1 box display.






Rick, should I have to be 2 feet from a 42" to read the program information?  Thats they way it is here with our relatively new HD set.  I am wearing a path in the carpet.

 




Most Valued Poster

Re: Too small guide letters and black background on guide.


@RickGr4 wrote:

TB,

In my not always humble opinion and regardless of the X1 guide font:

- Viewing distance of 6 to 10 feet = a 55" TV.
- Viewing distance of 8 to 12 feet = a 65" TV.
- Viewing distance of 10 to 15 feet = a 75" TV.
- Viewing distance of 13 to 14 feet or more = an 85" TV (Yes you read that correctly).

I have been involved with the sales and installation of TVs for almost 40 years so I would like to think I know a little about them...




@TerriB wrote:

@RickGr4 wrote:

Regardless of X1 guide font size, considering a viewing distance of 14 feet, a 46 inch TV is much too small.

My primary TV is a 65 inch that I sit 8.5 feet away from.

There is an article posted on Wikipedia discussing optimum TV viewing distances that is worth reading. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optimum_HDTV_viewing_distance

FYI, from everything that we have seen and heard, all future Comcast X1 boxes will not have any front panel display.



@Pipemajor wrote:

I just had our legacy box swapped to a new X1 OS box and the menu is entirely disappointing.  I have a 46" CCFL set (8 years old) but optimized via a BlueRay Disc.  I view from 14' away.  I have no problems readying the tiny white on black movie credits from a pure 1080p source.

 

It's like the X1 menu is presented in SD format.  My X1 box settings have been changed from 16:9 1080i HD to 1080p60 HD to no avail.  Yes, there are blue font highlights which are very difficult to read.

I've read through the first couple of pages of posts on this support forum dating back to 2014.  No real solution looks like it has been presented.

Yes, I am looking for an excuse to upgrade to a 65" or better set but the X1 menus remain a major complaint.  I also miss the ability to display the channel on the X1 box display.






Rick, should I have to be 2 feet from a 42" to read the program information?  Thats they way it is here with our relatively new HD set.  I am wearing a path in the carpet.

 



RIck, you know I trust your judgement/experiece/statistics but those numbers are just not realistic. We had a 39" SD and sat 11 ft for 2 decades and not a problem with viewing or reading anything on the tv or Comcast guide until X1 guide/info font became an issue. Took your advice and bought HD but the space we have would not hold over 42" and we still sit 11 ft and can read all tv fonts and scrawls except X1 guide/info. Same ole same. So far don't see the HD wowing us.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Too small guide letters and black background on guide.

It's as if the X1 menus are presented in SD resolution, not HD.
Most Valued Poster

Re: Too small guide letters and black background on guide.

Actually if I change my resolution to the low SD -  the font is PERFECT but I have no apps.

 

 


@Pipemajor wrote:
It's as if the X1 menus are presented in SD resolution, not HD.

 

Contributor

Re: Too small guide letters and black background on guide.

@TerriB wrote:
those numbers are just not realistic. 

I agree. When I said I have a 720p 37" and I sit between 5-10 feet from it, and a 1080p 42", and I sit about 7-10 feet from it, I said that with the knowledge that some people think that's too close to sit to a TV that big. I deliberately bought the TVs in sizes I was told were too big for this space. So that scale provided by Rick seemed REALLY off to me. I'm no expert, but it just sounded really extreme. For the record, I doubt I ever sit 10 feet from either of my TVs. I would say I'm usually about 6 feet from my bedroom TV. In the living room, I'm usually about 7 feet from the one in there. And have trouble reading the Guide and Descriptions on both.   I never had trouble reading the Guide or Descriptions on the old, "lesser quality" Comcast DVR. 

Expert

Re: Too small guide letters and black background on guide.


@Pipemajor wrote:
It's as if the X1 menus are presented in SD resolution, not HD.

did you check in the menu device settings on the set top box to be sure you are not in 720 mode instead of 1080? default at install is 720.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Gold Problem Solver

Re: Too small guide letters and black background on guide.

Once again I am not talking about the X1 guide font because I have no issues with it.

HOWEVER,  I watch TV to be entertained. I watch TV to enjoy an experience. Watching TV should never be a chore and if and when it becomes that I will buy what I need to improve it.  As I write this I am watching Star Trek Into Darkness from 8.5 feet way in 3D on my new 65"  LG OLED TV (currently the best TV on the market). Next to a theater or a well done projection system this is the absolute bomb...

At this point all we can do is try to help the people who are having issues with the X1 guide font that have something which is easily correctable such as connections or settings. Because the X1 guide is white text on a black background, adjusting the TV's contrast, brightness and sharpness settings could easily make improvements in guide legibility...

Funny but as I watch my 65" LG OLED from 8.5 feet away... I wish I had the option to make the X1 guide font smaller...






New Poster

Re: Too small guide letters and black background on guide.


>RickGr4 wrote:


>Funny but as I watch my 65" LG OLED from 8.5 feet away... I wish I had the option to make the X1 guide font smaller...

You're sitting too close!  :-)


 

Frequent Visitor

Re: Too small guide letters and black background on guide.


@Rustyben wrote:

@Pipemajor wrote:
It's as if the X1 menus are presented in SD resolution, not HD.

did you check in the menu device settings on the set top box to be sure you are not in 720 mode instead of 1080? default at install is 720.


Yes, as described in Post #960.  I'm sitting here now watching the scrolling weather info on the local news and can see it just fine.  Adjusting the brightness/contrast won't help because those have been already adjusted for optimum video performance, not menu surfing.

I have 20+ days left in my 30 day trial.  While I don't consider this a dealbreaker (yet) it has been a disappointment in the X1 OS.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Too small guide letters and black background on guide.

Actually it is the best TV watching experience I have ever owned...

But I think people need to understand there are many additional benefits to 4K TV sets. One of them is you can sit comfortably closer to your TV set...

Initially my GF thought our new 65" was too big for our setting. Funny but after watching a couple seasons worth of Game of Thrones she loves it now.




@dzthornton wrote:

@>RickGr4 wrote:


>Funny but as I watch my 65" LG OLED from 8.5 feet away... I wish I had the option to make the X1 guide font smaller...

You're sitting too close!  :-)


 


 

Most Valued Poster

Re: Too small guide letters and black background on guide.


@RickGr4 wrote:

Once again I am not talking about the X1 guide font because I have no issues with it.

HOWEVER,  I watch TV to be entertained. I watch TV to enjoy an experience. Watching TV should never be a chore and if and when it becomes that I will buy what I need to improve it.  As I write this I am watching Star Trek Into Darkness from 8.5 feet way in 3D on my new 65"  LG OLED TV (currently the best TV on the market). Next to a theater or a well done projection system this is the absolute bomb...

At this point all we can do is try to help the people who are having issues with the X1 guide font that have something which is easily correctable such as connections or settings. Because the X1 guide is white text on a black background, adjusting the TV's contrast, brightness and sharpness settings could easily make improvements in guide legibility...

Funny but as I watch my 65" LG OLED from 8.5 feet away... I wish I had the option to make the X1 guide font smaller...







Rick, you know that myself and many many others have tweaked all the possible settings to improve the glaring white on black font to no avail and I slapping you with a wet noodle for your comment "I wish I had the option to make the X1 guide font smaller...".

 

You made me smile today

Most Valued Poster

Re: Too small guide letters and black background on guide.


@Kaniac wrote:
@TerriB wrote:
those numbers are just not realistic. 

I agree. When I said I have a 720p 37" and I sit between 5-10 feet from it, and a 1080p 42", and I sit about 7-10 feet from it, I said that with the knowledge that some people think that's too close to sit to a TV that big. I deliberately bought the TVs in sizes I was told were too big for this space. So that scale provided by Rick seemed REALLY off to me. I'm no expert, but it just sounded really extreme. For the record, I doubt I ever sit 10 feet from either of my TVs. I would say I'm usually about 6 feet from my bedroom TV. In the living room, I'm usually about 7 feet from the one in there. And have trouble reading the Guide and Descriptions on both.   I never had trouble reading the Guide or Descriptions on the old, "lesser quality" Comcast DVR.

 

--

Perfectly stated!

 


Gold Problem Solver

Re: Too small guide letters and black background on guide.

To be more clear, I would like to see Comcast offer two or three choices of a larger font size but I would not mind one choice a smaller font as well...



@TerriB wrote:

@RickGr4 wrote:

Once again I am not talking about the X1 guide font because I have no issues with it.

HOWEVER,  I watch TV to be entertained. I watch TV to enjoy an experience. Watching TV should never be a chore and if and when it becomes that I will buy what I need to improve it.  As I write this I am watching Star Trek Into Darkness from 8.5 feet way in 3D on my new 65"  LG OLED TV (currently the best TV on the market). Next to a theater or a well done projection system this is the absolute bomb...

At this point all we can do is try to help the people who are having issues with the X1 guide font that have something which is easily correctable such as connections or settings. Because the X1 guide is white text on a black background, adjusting the TV's contrast, brightness and sharpness settings could easily make improvements in guide legibility...

Funny but as I watch my 65" LG OLED from 8.5 feet away... I wish I had the option to make the X1 guide font smaller...







Rick, you know that myself and many many others have tweaked all the possible settings to improve the glaring white on black font to no avail and I slapping you with a wet noodle for your comment "I wish I had the option to make the X1 guide font smaller...".

 

You made me smile today


 

Most Valued Poster

Re: Too small guide letters and black background on guide.


@RickGr4 wrote:

To be more clear, I would like to see Comcast offer two or three choices of a larger font size but I would not mind one choice a smaller font as well...



@TerriB wrote:

@RickGr4 wrote:

Once again I am not talking about the X1 guide font because I have no issues with it.

HOWEVER,  I watch TV to be entertained. I watch TV to enjoy an experience. Watching TV should never be a chore and if and when it becomes that I will buy what I need to improve it.  As I write this I am watching Star Trek Into Darkness from 8.5 feet way in 3D on my new 65"  LG OLED TV (currently the best TV on the market). Next to a theater or a well done projection system this is the absolute bomb...

At this point all we can do is try to help the people who are having issues with the X1 guide font that have something which is easily correctable such as connections or settings. Because the X1 guide is white text on a black background, adjusting the TV's contrast, brightness and sharpness settings could easily make improvements in guide legibility...

Funny but as I watch my 65" LG OLED from 8.5 feet away... I wish I had the option to make the X1 guide font smaller...







Rick, you know that myself and many many others have tweaked all the possible settings to improve the glaring white on black font to no avail and I slapping you with a wet noodle for your comment "I wish I had the option to make the X1 guide font smaller...".

 

You made me smile today 


  ===========

 


Regular Visitor

Re: Too small guide letters and black background on guide.

When X1 was first rolled out, Comcast offered a really good deal to subscribers to switch. I took them up on it. However, once installed and tried, both my wife and I found that the font size was too small. When I told Comcast that the older box had a simple way to change font size, just by going to Setup and lthen choosing between single or double size, they, essentially told me, "Too bad. You can either sit closer or get a larger TV set. 

 

Now, several years later, the same complaints keep coming in and Comcast's response remains the same: sorry but that's just the way it is.

 

People come in different sizes, different ages, different viewing habits and, most importantly, different vision. One size does not fit all. There are reasons people watch TV in their homes at different distances, some for convenience, some for eye issues, some for problems with space, some because of plain old age. Having gone back to review the posts that started sometime back in 2014. I find it amusing that we keep complaining to Comcast, waiting for them to fix a problem that they refuse to admit exists. I can't believe they use a headline above the posts to says "Problem Solved." How's that for arrogance?

 

I returned the X1 box, reveted to the old system, use the larger-size (double) font, and have never looked back. 

 

When Comcast syays they can't do anything about the problem, what they really mean is that the re-programming cost would be just too high. In the same simple words: Too bad. Learn to live with it.

 

That's what you get when you have a true cable monopoly. They do no have to be accountable to their customers. And no, satallite TV, from providers such as Direct, is not the competitive equivalent of a cable network.     

Most Valued Poster

Re: Too small guide letters and black background on guide.


@martin.robbins wrote:

When X1 was first rolled out, Comcast offered a really good deal to subscribers to switch. I took them up on it. However, once installed and tried, both my wife and I found that the font size was too small. When I told Comcast that the older box had a simple way to change font size, just by going to Setup and lthen choosing between single or double size, they, essentially told me, "Too bad. You can either sit closer or get a larger TV set. 

 

Now, several years later, the same complaints keep coming in and Comcast's response remains the same: sorry but that's just the way it is.

 

People come in different sizes, different ages, different viewing habits and, most importantly, different vision. One size does not fit all. There are reasons people watch TV in their homes at different distances, some for convenience, some for eye issues, some for problems with space, some because of plain old age. Having gone back to review the posts that started sometime back in 2014. I find it amusing that we keep complaining to Comcast, waiting for them to fix a problem that they refuse to admit exists. I can't believe they use a headline above the posts to says "Problem Solved." How's that for arrogance?

 

I returned the X1 box, reveted to the old system, use the larger-size (double) font, and have never looked back. 

 

When Comcast syays they can't do anything about the problem, what they really mean is that the re-programming cost would be just too high. In the same simple words: Too bad. Learn to live with it.

 

That's what you get when you have a true cable monopoly. They do no have to be accountable to their customers. And no, satallite TV, from providers such as Direct, is not the competitive equivalent of a cable network.     


Very well written. You would think we were asking for some revolutionary change to be developed. X1 used to have the font options AND closed captioning  for the hearing impaired still does so their arrogance about how we should 'deal' with the small font and terrible color choice for contrast is mind boggling. Just the fact that they can't even bring themselves to comment on this forum says volumes. This is a general user population accessiblity  issue that they ignore but they sure can upgrade and add bells and whistles to kids and latino features. I feel its a discrimination issue. I want all users to have what they need but not at the expense of others. Being able to READ the information is a basic ...my goodness.

 

Regular Visitor

Re: Too small guide letters and black background on guide.

I am so glad I found this forum!!  Comcast must change the guide!!  I have such a problem

with my vision and miss the "'old" large guide that was easy to read!! This new guide

is too small and difficult to read!!  Please help!!!!

Most Valued Poster

Re: Too small guide letters and black background on guide.


@tripplett wrote:

I am so glad I found this forum!!  Comcast must change the guide!!  I have such a problem

with my vision and miss the "'old" large guide that was easy to read!! This new guide

is too small and difficult to read!!  Please help!!!!


Welcome to the world of disgruntled gulde viewers but they aren't going to fix it....they won't even discuss that its a problem.

 

New Poster

Re: Too small guide letters and black background on guide.

for some reason, my guide does not look like the picture posted

 

Contributor

Re: Too small guide letters and black background on guide.

This is my not-so-great-solution-to-the-impossible-to-read-X1 guide-that-Comcast-won't-fix.  I use small binoculars. We have a 42" tv and sit 12 feet away. I am developing cataracts and it will probably be another year before operation which I gather isn't going to solve the too-small-guide problem anyway. It was the only solution we could think of. The voice guide is a distraction and spouse doesn't like it.

Most Valued Poster

Re: Too small guide letters and black background on guide.


@SwoozieB wrote:

This is my not-so-great-solution-to-the-impossible-to-read-X1 guide-that-Comcast-won't-fix.  I use small binoculars. We have a 42" tv and sit 12 feet away. I am developing cataracts and it will probably be another year before operation which I gather isn't going to solve the too-small-guide problem anyway. It was the only solution we could think of. The voice guide is a distraction and spouse doesn't like it.


It is amazing what we have to do to read text isn't it? This is just insane when they could fix it by just allowing font options like they do for Closed Captioning for those who can't HEAR.  I agree about the voice guide....uber annoying.

 

Frequent Visitor

Re: Too small guide letters and black background on guide.

I just got X1. I am watching on a 42 inch tv from less than 10ft away.  The guide is too small and the white on black is too hard to read.  I'm old but I did fine with the older guide and liked it much better than this mismash of information.

New Poster

Re: Too small guide letters and black background on guide.

I would like to add my account info to the list of people with (I guess) less that perfect eyesight.
New Poster

Re: Too small guide letters and black background on guide.

Just because the font is fine for you does not set a standard for others; my tv set is a little older and that is part of it, but the font is still too small anyway, for Me, not you, but for myself and for others, and there ought to be a simple software fix made for making the font bigger, like the last one with omcast was, which was very easy to see

New Poster

Re: Too small guide letters and black background on guide.

Good, that means you are awake and alive; the sheeple will bleat the same old baaaa, just what is 'politically correct'; the truth always comes forth, though, so keep fighting the good fight

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Too small guide letters and black background on guide.


@Notsure2 wrote:

Good, that means you are awake and alive; the sheeple will bleat the same old baaaa, just what is 'politically correct'; the truth always comes forth, though, so keep fighting the good fight


Sorry, I've been following this forum for about two years and I haven't seen any "politically correct" "sheeple" here.  But I am referring to users of X1 like myself.  The red-letter named posters are Comcast employees.  Maybe you are referring to them?


I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Most Valued Poster

Re: Font too small on the X1 Guide Channel


@RobertWy wrote:

That's strange.  Can you turn down the brightness on the TV?


Really Robert? Brightness causing font unreadability? Really? We are so far beyond any tweaks we can do . Its an X1 design problem or should I say 'un-design' since we once had the font options until they took them away

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Font too small on the X1 Guide Channel


@TerriB wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

That's strange.  Can you turn down the brightness on the TV?


Really Robert? Brightness causing font unreadability? Really? We are so far beyond any tweaks we can do . Its an X1 design problem or should I say 'un-design' since we once had the font options until they took them away


Huh?  Did I mistakenly reply to a brightness issue?


I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Most Valued Poster

Re: Font too small on the X1 Guide Channel


@RobertWy wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

That's strange.  Can you turn down the brightness on the TV?


Really Robert? Brightness causing font unreadability? Really? We are so far beyond any tweaks we can do . Its an X1 design problem or should I say 'un-design' since we once had the font options until they took them away


Huh?  Did I mistakenly reply to a brightness issue?


You replied to someone who is having font issues by suggesting the person turn down the brightness as a possible solution. We know that won't work but its nice that you do offer help. There is no solution to the small and blurry fonts except to give us back the ability to change the size and contrast. Still no reasonable response from Comcast on this issue and its been on here for years.

Official Employee

Re: Font too small on the X1 Guide Channel

Hi everyone,

 

In our next release, which should go out to customers in a few weeks, we have a new setting in Comcast Labs that allows users to increase the font size of their Grid Guide. There are three different options, along with the default setting if you wish to return to the look of the Grid Guide that exists today. We know that inability to read the guide has been an issue for some time, and we hope that these changes are a step in the right direction. Once you have had a chance to use this new setting, please post feedback and suggestions in this thread, or feel free to direct message me.

 

Here are the steps to turn the setting on: 

Go to Settings > Comcast Labs > Guide Readability 

 

Thank you,

Sarah

 


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Most Valued Poster

Re: Font too small on the X1 Guide Channel


@ComcastSarah wrote:

Hi everyone,

 

In our next release, which should go out to customers in a few weeks, we have a new setting in Comcast Labs that allows users to increase the font size of their Grid Guide. There are three different options, along with the default setting if you wish to return to the look of the Grid Guide that exists today. We know that inability to read the guide has been an issue for some time, and we hope that these changes are a step in the right direction. Once you have had a chance to use this new setting, please post feedback and suggestions in this thread, or feel free to direct message me.

 

Here are the steps to turn the setting on: 

Go to Settings > Comcast Labs > Guide Readability 

 

Thank you,

Sarah

 


Sarah, I just picked myself off the floor after fainting dead away over this news. The 'dead horse' may be able to finally rest in peace.   Can I be so bold as to assume this will mean that if  I  enlarge the font on the guide-  the 'info' window text will also be larger? Thats the part we just cannot read at all.

 

Will you be alerting us to the timing of this release...PLEASE and Thank You

🤓😀😍🎈🎈🎈

Official Employee

Re: Font too small on the X1 Guide Channel


@TerriB wrote:

@ComcastSarah wrote:

Hi everyone,

 

In our next release, which should go out to customers in a few weeks, we have a new setting in Comcast Labs that allows users to increase the font size of their Grid Guide. There are three different options, along with the default setting if you wish to return to the look of the Grid Guide that exists today. We know that inability to read the guide has been an issue for some time, and we hope that these changes are a step in the right direction. Once you have had a chance to use this new setting, please post feedback and suggestions in this thread, or feel free to direct message me.

 

Here are the steps to turn the setting on: 

Go to Settings > Comcast Labs > Guide Readability 

 

Thank you,

Sarah

 


Sarah, I just picked myself off the floor after fainting dead away over this news. The 'dead horse' may be able to finally rest in peace.   Can I be so bold as to assume this will mean that if  I  enlarge the font on the guide-  the 'info' window text will also be larger? Thats the part we just cannot read at all.

 

Will you be alerting us to the timing of this release...PLEASE and Thank You

🤓😀😍🎈🎈🎈


Can you upload a picture of what you call the 'info' window text? I just want to make sure I know what you are referencing before I respond to your question. 

 

Yes, I will definitely let you know timing once I have a better idea. It will be in a couple of weeks.


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Most Valued Poster

Re: Font too small on the X1 Guide Channel


@ComcastSarah wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@ComcastSarah wrote:

Hi everyone,

 

In our next release, which should go out to customers in a few weeks, we have a new setting in Comcast Labs that allows users to increase the font size of their Grid Guide. There are three different options, along with the default setting if you wish to return to the look of the Grid Guide that exists today. We know that inability to read the guide has been an issue for some time, and we hope that these changes are a step in the right direction. Once you have had a chance to use this new setting, please post feedback and suggestions in this thread, or feel free to direct message me.

 

Here are the steps to turn the setting on: 

Go to Settings > Comcast Labs > Guide Readability 

 

Thank you,

Sarah

 


Sarah, I just picked myself off the floor after fainting dead away over this news. The 'dead horse' may be able to finally rest in peace.   Can I be so bold as to assume this will mean that if  I  enlarge the font on the guide-  the 'info' window text will also be larger? Thats the part we just cannot read at all.

 

Will you be alerting us to the timing of this release...PLEASE and Thank You

🤓😀😍🎈🎈🎈


Can you upload a picture of what you call the 'info' window text? I just want to make sure I know what you are referencing before I respond to your question. 

 

Yes, I will definitely let you know timing once I have a better idea. It will be in a couple of weeks.


Sarah....can't take picture of screen right now but its simple to explain to you. When on the guide and 'info' is pressed, a brief description of the selected program pops up at the bottom of the guide and if you press info again a stand alone pop up window comes up with the complete program description. Just having the font enlarged on the guide entries themselves is of questionable value . I can read the guide pretty well but not the 'info' at all.

Official Employee

Re: Font too small on the X1 Guide Channel

TerriB, Got it, thanks for the detail. The changes we made are only on the Grid Guide screen. The brief description that appears in the lower part of the screen of the Grid Guide is included in the changes. The stand alone pop up window is not included in this first phase of changes. But this is great feedback and is exactly the kind of information we are looking for to help in our next iteration. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Most Valued Poster

Re: Font too small on the X1 Guide Channel


@ComcastSarah wrote:
TerriB, Got it, thanks for the detail. The changes we made are only on the Grid Guide screen. The brief description that appears in the lower part of the screen of the Grid Guide is included in the changes. The stand alone pop up window is not included in this first phase of changes. But this is great feedback and is exactly the kind of information we are looking for to help in our next iteration. 

That makes no sense. Why change just part of it? What good is being able to read the guide and not be able to read the program description? I was excited about this and now I am extremely disappointed.   All the input from users about the font and Comcast only goes half way?

Official Employee

Re: Font too small on the X1 Guide Channel


@TerriB wrote:

@ComcastSarah wrote:
TerriB, Got it, thanks for the detail. The changes we made are only on the Grid Guide screen. The brief description that appears in the lower part of the screen of the Grid Guide is included in the changes. The stand alone pop up window is not included in this first phase of changes. But this is great feedback and is exactly the kind of information we are looking for to help in our next iteration. 

That makes no sense. Why change just part of it? What good is being able to read the guide and not be able to read the program description? I was excited about this and now I am extremely disappointed.   All the input from users about the font and Comcast only goes half way?


Although it is not a difficult change to programmatically increase the font size, it is a huge effort on the testing side. For every screen you change the font size, you have to ensure that the font properly displays and doesn’t run off the screen, clip strangely, etc. It’s not something we can change in a matter of just a month.

 

We also do not have a clear understanding of what design elements are causing customers to have trouble reading the Guide. It may be font size for one person, but color contrast for another person. As many customers have commented in this forum thread, TV’s display interfaces differently. The point of this setting in Labs is to test a few changes and get feedback from customers about what the best solution is before we completely overhaul the entire system.

 

It would be irresponsible to make assumptions about the problem and solution and waste engineering and testing efforts if it doesn’t actually solve the problem.


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!