Community Forum

Font too small on the X1 Guide Channel

Expert

Re: Too small guide letters and black background on guide.

@TerriB wrote:

@Queen-Evie wrote:

Off topic but letting you know that the Nanny filter has gone haywire.

It's flagging words that are not bad words.

For example, last night I got flagged for using the words channel and bill.

Someone else got flagged or using the word history.

This has been reported to ComcastJessie.

THANK GOODNESS. Its is censoring almost everything today.   I could not believe it.  Check you PM for a phrase it censored on me. I tried to show it here but of course it got flagged. (NEVER MIND...the benign phrase I wanted to share with you cannot be used in a PM either..duh on me.) This is ABSURD behavior and needs to STOP.

yeah something is definitely broken. I did a screen capture and sent that to comcastIrma you might want to do that too as something is wrong.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

@Rustyben wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@Queen-Evie wrote:

Off topic but letting you know that the Nanny filter has gone haywire.

It's flagging words that are not bad words.

For example, last night I got flagged for using the words channel and bill.

Someone else got flagged or using the word history.

This has been reported to ComcastJessie.

THANK GOODNESS. Its is censoring almost everything today.   I could not believe it.  Check you PM for a phrase it censored on me. I tried to show it here but of course it got flagged. (NEVER MIND...the benign phrase I wanted to share with you cannot be used in a PM either..duh on me.) This is ABSURD behavior and needs to STOP.

yeah something is definitely broken. I did a screen capture and sent that to comcastIrma you might want to do that too as something is wrong.

The Filter issue has been fixed.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

Re: MAKE THE USER GUIDE LARGER (font?) FOR VIEWING.

@ComcastMatthew wrote:

If you are having difficulty reading X1 font please reach out to https://www.comcastsupport.com/ChatEntry/Default.aspx?Trouble.Accessibility|form to chat with an Accessibility Agent.

For all the good I suspect it will do, I did "reach out" to an Accessibility Agent and express my frustrations. They say they have "escalated my complaint." So we'll see. However, if Rick is correct, Comcast has at least admitted behind the scenes that they have no plans to address this. Awesome. 

For everyone here with great vision who thinks if you don't have a problem with something, no one else can either - what gives? I mean seriously! 

I deliberately spent a lot of money upgrading both my televisions to large flatscreens BECAUSE I could not see very well. The one in my bedroom is a 720p 37" and I sit between 5-10 feet from it. The one in my living room is a 1080p 42", and I sit about 7-10 feet from it. Whether that's recommended, ideal, or whatever, it is what it is, and it has worked great for me. All the way up until now. Now I am constantly squinting my eyes, tilting my head, and leaning closer to the TV just to try to read what it says. Half the time I give up in frustration and disgust. 

I thought I was "upgrading" to the X1 from the old DVR platform! And I will say, it has a lot of nice features! In many ways, I am very happy. But where I am frustrated is in the lack of customization in 2016! Customizing to our individual likes and NEEDS should be a given with the technology of today. So not being able to manually set the time for the daily updates on my boxes, and not being able to READ the Guide or Descriptions is maddening. And frankly, it's not acceptible. 

Fix it, Comcast!

Highlighted
Problem Solver

Hello Kaniac,

I apologize for any frustration. We will pass along your feedback. We do offer voice remote and speaking guide that may help.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee.
I no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions
may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered?
Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Gold Problem Solver

@ComcastMatthew wrote:

Hello Kaniac,

I apologize for any frustration. We will pass along your feedback. We do offer voice remote and speaking guide that may help.

Voice guidance is not an ideal solution because it is flawed. All it does is tell you the time slot, how long it runs,  name of program, channel number, press OK to view program options. It does NOT give program information (what the episode is about).

If you go to a show in progress and press info, the voice does say what the episode is about.

So if you want to set up your recordings for later, you still have to read the episode description on the guide.

Personally, voice guidance is annoying. I turned it off long ago.

Most Valued Poster

@Queen-Evie wrote:

@ComcastMatthew wrote:

Hello Kaniac,

Voice guidance is not an ideal solution because it is flawed. All it does is tell you the time slot, how long it runs,  name of program, channel number, press OK to view program options. It does NOT give program information (what the episode is about).

If you go to a show in progress and press info, the voice does say what the episode is about.

So if you want to set up your recordings for later, you still have to read the episode description on the guide.

Personally, voice guidance is annoying. I turned it off long ago.

TOTALLY agree...Needing larger/clearer font is not helped by voice remote . Voice remote helps find things not make program information better. Voice guidance does not give program/episode infor and OH YES..voice guidance is super annoying.

Most Valued Poster

@ComcastMatthew wrote:

Hello Kaniac,

Neither the voice remote nor the annoying speaking guide do anything to describe the program's content. I love the voice remote for finding things and HATE the speaking guide.

Contributor

Look, Comcast needs to give font size adjustment choices for users. The latest and greatest equipment does not offer that? With the daily night time updates I deal with each night I get home from work, accepting it is for improving things, I can't fathom why they will not give text size adjustment to users.
This MUST be implemented and soon. With all the elderly now having no choice but to upgrade to and equipment they will be complaining in ever increasing numbers. Look at automotive tech and how they have to implement changes so users can actually use the systems or they lose mega sales and get horrendous reviews and ratings.
My 2 yr old cell phone has font size options out the wazoo.
Comcast, listen to your subscribers about what they want. You are making great mobile apps, TV equipment is really good too. Just add font adjustment.
Tags (1)
Most Valued Poster

@Neverendingmods wrote:
Look, Comcast needs to give font size adjustment choices for users. The latest and greatest equipment does not offer that? With the daily night time updates I deal with each night I get home from work, accepting it is for improving things, I can't fathom why they will not give text size adjustment to users.
This MUST be implemented and soon. With all the elderly now having no choice but to upgrade to and equipment they will be complaining in ever increasing numbers. Look at automotive tech and how they have to implement changes so users can actually use the systems or they lose mega sales and get horrendous reviews and ratings.
My 2 yr old cell phone has font size options out the wazoo.
Comcast, listen to your subscribers about what they want. You are making great mobile apps, TV equipment is really good too. Just add font adjustment.

Welcome to the large community of those of us who have begged and pleaded for font/contrast options like we used to have until mid 2014 with X1. Never have found out why they removed it from general settings. Its an accessibility issue travesty.

We never hear from Comcast on this issue but its one of the biggest complaints on this forum.  Falls on deaf ears...oh..that reminds me....those with hearing loss have many font/contrast options by the way.

Visitor

I, as well have font size issues. We are an older couple and our vision isn't what it once was. We would like to increase font size on the guide. I understand that you are 37 years old and you deemed yourself a veteran of your field, congrats. I am a 55 year old military veteran and a 30 year veteran of my field. I'm not bragging or putting people down. I will leave that to you, kind sir. We are just looking for answers to increase the font size on the X1 operating system and it seems they have done away with that. The old system worked fine. We got in this mess to save money. No response necessary. Canceling my com-mess subscription soon.

Silver Problem Solver

@BlairC91 wrote:
I, as well have font size issues. We are an older couple and our vision isn't what it once was. We would like to increase font size on the guide. I understand that you are 37 years old and you deemed yourself a veteran of your field, congrats. I am a 55 year old military veteran and a 30 year veteran of my field. I'm not bragging or putting people down. I will leave that to you, kind sir. We are just looking for answers to increase the font size on the X1 operating system and it seems they have done away with that. The old system worked fine. We got in this mess to save money. No response necessary. Canceling my com-mess subscription soon.

So far, Comcast has not provided us with any way to increase the font size.

But I think they are working on a solution that may or may not address your issue.

(I am 77 years old with poor eyesight but I am able to see the Guide on all four of my LED TV's.  My point is that my PERSONAL opinion is that there must be an issue with your equipment and your setup.)

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Font too small on the X1 Guide Channel

I noticed that my Guide was more difficult to see if I had the X1 box resolution set to something my TV didn't support.  My example was that I had the X1 box set to 1080p and my TV only supported 720p.  Once I changed the X1 box, the text was much easier to read.

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-video-display

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Most Valued Poster

@RobertWy wrote:

I noticed that my Guide was more difficult to see if I had the X1 box resolution set to something my TV didn't support.  My example was that I had the X1 box set to 1080p and my TV only supported 720p.  Once I changed the X1 box, the text was much easier to read.

I have one SD set and its always been on 720p and font is as bad on it as it is on the HD sets.

Gold Problem Solver

TB,

Setting an SD TV to 720 would be incorrect. It should be set to 480i...

@TerriB wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

I have one SD set and its always been on 720p and font is as bad on it as it is on the HD sets.

New Poster

new TV Guide

The TV Guide is nearly impossible to read, especially on our smaller bedroom TVs.  Is there any way to increase the font or any other way to make it easier to read?  I need to stand right next to my TV to see it.  It's very frustrating and I don't even want to watch the TV anymore.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: new TV Guide

@bird0606 wrote:

The TV Guide is nearly impossible to read, especially on our smaller bedroom TVs.  Is there any way to increase the font or any other way to make it easier to read?  I need to stand right next to my TV to see it.  It's very frustrating and I don't even want to watch the TV anymore.

There is no way to increase the font.  Question: do you have your X1 box set to the resolution your TV supports?

Most Valued Poster

@RobertWy wrote:

@bird0606 wrote:

There is no way to increase the font.  Question: do you have your X1 box set to the resolution your TV supports?

@RobertWy wrote:

@bird0606 wrote:

If he has  an HD tv and wants to have HD resolution  he needs 1080p. I will bet the farm that rany esolution changes will NOT help read the stark white on black background.  I have SD and HD and no matter what resolution...cannot read it.

I want to add something. We lost sound for some network reason last night for a few minutes so I  turned on Closed Captioning. The font that was showing  for CC is about the size of the guide and info font and its white on black but HOLY MOLEY....we could read it just fine. Its is wider and bolder and that seems to make a difference. SO.....why can't Comcast make the guide/info font look like CC font since they obviously know how to do it. It just cannot be rocket science and as I have pointed out before - under CC options you can change the font and the background extensively. Deaf people have many viewing options and thats wonderful  but don't the rest of us deserve it too?  For my $200 a month I should be able to at least READ the guide and show information...my goodness.

New Poster

I have no idea.  Would the technician have done that when he installed the new equipment?  How do I check that?

Silver Problem Solver

New Poster

why did you bother to respond at all, Robert?

Gold Problem Solver

It appears to me that Robert is attempting to help you. You asked a question. Robert provided a link to valuable information that responded directly to a question you asked.

I have a different view of this. In order to drive a car, you need to have certain basic knowledge. You need to know what the controls of the car do. Well I happen to think that understanding how to check/set the resolution of today's HD video components is something that EVERYONE should know. In my opinion, it is as basic as knowing how to start a car.

Thanks for trying to help people Robert. Please keep up with your efforts.

@bird0606 wrote:

why did you bother to respond at all, Robert?

Frequent Visitor

bird0606 asked HOW to make the guide font bigger.

Robert replied with there is no way to do that, then mentioned resolution.

Some back and forth followed with a link to instructions for resolution changes, another asking why Robert replied, then with Rick saying Robert is trying to help.

Help with what? The original question was about font size.

Why mention changing the resolution when there is no way to increase it? Changing the resolution doesn't make it bigger.

People should stop posting do this and do that for things the simply do not work.

Gold Problem Solver

Some back and forth followed with a link to instructions for resolution changes, another asking why Robert replied, then with Rick saying Robert is trying to help.

Why mention changing the resolution when there is no way to increase it? Changing the resolution doesn't make it bigger.

People should stop posting do this and do that for things the simply do not work.

That is incorrect.

Depending upon the TV being used, the age of the TV and the type of connection (input) being used, the resolution setting of the cable box COULD influence picture size and therefore font size.

Robert acknowledged the X1 guide font size can't be changed. The link Robert posted has the potential to help a few people and he was simply making sure all bases were covered.

Most Valued Poster

@RickGr4 wrote:

That is incorrect.

Depending upon the TV being used, the age of the TV and the type of connection (input) being used, the resolution setting of the cable box COULD influence picture size and therefore font size.

Robert acknowledged the X1 guide font size can't be changed. The link Robert posted has the potential to help a few people and he was simply making sure all bases were covered.

Changing resolution on SD or HD sets does not make it easier to read the too starkly skinny white on black font. Yes I am a parrot.

Most Valued Poster

@stanooch0829 wrote:

AMEN......nothing makes the font bigger no matter what settings are used. We need options to change the font like they have for Closed Captioning.

Expert

@TerriB wrote:

@stanooch0829 wrote:

AMEN......nothing makes the font bigger no matter what settings are used. We need options to change the font like they have for Closed Captioning.

Terri now that the DTAs have the RoVI style guide with colors etc it really makes me miss having that on the X1. not adding much to the thread saying so, but there it is anyway.

New Poster

I'm done with this so-called "problem-solving" site.  What a joke.

New Poster

Zoom guide

Hello,

I am having difficulty seeing the guide on my 31" t.v.  The names of shows are kind of small.

Is there a way to increase the size of the guide so that I can read it better, without increasing

the size of the t.v. show itself?

Thanks for your help.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Zoom guide

Sorry, the size cannot be changed.

Silver Problem Solver

@JamesOliver wrote:

Hello,

I am having difficulty seeing the guide on my 31" t.v.  The names of shows are kind of small.

Is there a way to increase the size of the guide so that I can read it better, without increasing

the size of the t.v. show itself?

Thanks for your help.

I have a 32" TV and I am able to read the guide, but I have to be pretty close.

Is the X1 box set to the resolution of the TV?  Mine is 720p and if I set my X1 box to 1080 it makes the Guide harder to read.

https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-video-display

New Poster

How do I set the dpi to a different setting?

Thanks

Silver Problem Solver

@JamesOliver wrote:

How do I set the dpi to a different setting?

Thanks

Follow the link I posted.

New Poster

Thank you.

Gold Problem Solver

Mr Oliver,

Assuming your TV is connected properly and your X1 box is set to a resolution that matches your TV, there are no further adjustments.

This issue is a "hot topic" in this forum and plenty has been written about it. I suggest you do some reading in this forum if you require any more information.
Most Valued Poster

@RickGr4 wrote:

TB,

Setting an SD TV to 720 would be incorrect. It should be set to 480i...

@TerriB wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

Rick, When an SD set is changed to 420p there are no apps so obviously we never kept that setting on our one SD set.The font gets a bit bigger on the guide itself but that has never been our issue. The font on the 'info' screen is still too small and fuzzy with the blazing white narrow font on black with 420p.

Problem Solver

The font size in the photo in this Comcast blog post is so large I thought it might interest those in this thread: http://corporate.comcast.com/news-information/news-feed/comcast-to-trial-x1-video-platform-for-busin...

Now, this could be a sign of something new coming, or Marketing trying to make things seem easier to read, so take it with lots of salt.

Frequent Visitor

I have to agree, the issue with font size is an issue but a much bigger issue is the black background and no way of changing this.  For those with astigmatism, it is very difficult to read white text on black backgrounds.  If it is possible to just change the background color to blue or any other color, that could solve some of the issues here and may even make the decription font size "look" larger. 

My other huge complaint is that there is no option to turn off network logos and use the old code names like we used to have with the older boxes.  The problem is that while some network logos are easy to read (like Fox and HBO), some channels like Esquire Network and Comedy Central where the aspect ratio of the font is very wide makes it appear tiny in the guide and therefore is impossible to read.    I see that the ability is in the system to use channel aliases instead of graphic logos as my PEG channel is done that way. 

It's sad that the old equipment that I replaced had more options than X1. 

Most Valued Poster

@MichikoMD wrote:

I have to agree, the issue with font size is an issue but a much bigger issue is the black background and no way of changing this.  For those with astigmatism, it is very difficult to read white text on black backgrounds.  If it is possible to just change the background color to blue or any other color, that could solve some of the issues here and may even make the decription font size "look" larger. 

My other huge complaint is that there is no option to turn off network logos and use the old code names like we used to have with the older boxes.  The problem is that while some network logos are easy to read (like Fox and HBO), some channels like Esquire Network and Comedy Central where the aspect ratio of the font is very wide makes it appear tiny in the guide and therefore is impossible to read.    I see that the ability is in the system to use channel aliases instead of graphic logos as my PEG channel is done that way. 

I agree about the black background being one of the big factors.  I never thought about astigmatism but you are correct!

I also agree about the network logos. There are so many new networks on cable which is a good thing but when I look for them after seeing a commercial/previe........can't read on the guide to find them unless I go right up to the screen. So tired of wearing out the carpet to read the guide and the info screen....not my idea of good exercise.

New Poster

@MichikoMD wrote:

Wow! I guess I was away from Comcast so long I missed that Network Logo trick.  

Off topic, but inspired by this post, I'd like to turn off the network logos that populate a larg corner of the screen.  When you get that, scrolling weather, scrolling updates, scrolling whatever, sometimes you can only view about 1/2 the screen.  Bah humbug.

Problem Solver

Hi MichikoMD,

Thank you for your feedback regarding X1 Guide Font size. Comcast does not control the network logos. Please contact the network regrading turning off network logos. 

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee.
I no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions
may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered?
Mark a post as the Best Answer!
New Poster

Who gives a xxxx if someone can read it on their 40 inch TV. And so what if it's not a "NEW" issue. Other people can't read ot and it should be an option. What a stupid comment. It wasn't too small on the OLD DVR service. They MADE it small on THIS service.  

New Poster

Totally useless since it's not a screen cap of you sitting in the normal distance of people who watch tv. 

Silver Problem Solver

? Do you mean like this?

IMG_2335.JPG

Most Valued Poster

@alyr wrote:

Who gives a xxxx if someone can read it on their 40 inch TV. And so what if it's not a "NEW" issue. Other people can't read ot and it should be an option. What a stupid comment. It wasSMEn't too small on the OLD DVR service. They MADE it small on THIS service.  

DOUBLE AMEN

PREACH!

Most Valued Poster

@scjohnson312 wrote:

The font size in the photo in this Comcast blog post is so large I thought it might interest those in this thread: http://corporate.comcast.com/news-information/news-feed/comcast-to-trial-x1-video-platform-for-busin...

Now, this could be a sign of something new coming, or Marketing trying to make things seem easier to read, so take it with lots of salt.

Wow...nice  big thick clear font. IF THEY DARE give business customers a better font and not residential customers.....!!!!!! I can't put the words I want to say on here but I am sure the intent is understood.

Expert
Moved:

Post Removed for deliberately bypassing the Language Filter which is against Forum Guidelines. Guidelines can be viewed here: http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Forum-Community/Forums-Policy-and-Guidelines/td-p/2618379

New Poster

@Kaniac wrote:

@ComcastMatthew wrote:

If you are having difficulty reading X1 font please reach out to https://www.comcastsupport.com/ChatEntry/Default.aspx?Trouble.Accessibility|form to chat with an Accessibility Agent.

For all the good I suspect it will do, I did "reach out" to an Accessibility Agent and express my frustrations. They say they have "escalated my complaint." So we'll see. However, if Rick is correct, Comcast has at least admitted behind the scenes that they have no plans to address this. Awesome. 

For everyone here with great vision who thinks if you don't have a problem with something, no one else can either - what gives? I mean seriously! 

I deliberately spent a lot of money upgrading both my televisions to large flatscreens BECAUSE I could not see very well. The one in my bedroom is a 720p 37" and I sit between 5-10 feet from it. The one in my living room is a 1080p 42", and I sit about 7-10 feet from it. Whether that's recommended, ideal, or whatever, it is what it is, and it has worked great for me. All the way up until now. Now I am constantly squinting my eyes, tilting my head, and leaning closer to the TV just to try to read what it says. Half the time I give up in frustration and disgust. 

I thought I was "upgrading" to the X1 from the old DVR platform! And I will say, it has a lot of nice features! In many ways, I am very happy. But where I am frustrated is in the lack of customization in 2016! Customizing to our individual likes and NEEDS should be a given with the technology of today. So not being able to manually set the time for the daily updates on my boxes, and not being able to READ the Guide or Descriptions is maddening. And frankly, it's not acceptible. 

Fix it, Comcast!

This is EXACTLY the same for me!!!  Everything else is great!! But not being able to READ the Guide is maddening!! And not acceptible.

New Poster

@RobertWy wrote:

? Do you mean like this?

IMG_2335.JPG

Yes, this.  This kinda proves our point.  Even the program names are unreadable.

Silver Problem Solver

@dzthornton wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

? Do you mean like this?

IMG_2335.JPG

Yes, this.  This kinda proves our point.  Even the program names are unreadable.

Mine is bright enough that I can read the Guide when I sit in the chair.

Others have said it isn't bright enough.

Most Valued Poster

@RobertWy wrote:

@dzthornton wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

? Do you mean like this?

IMG_2335.JPG

Mine is bright enough that I can read the Guide when I sit in the chair.

Others have said it isn't bright enough.

Mine is too bright....blinding white thin font that blurs itself right out!