Community Forum

Font too small on the X1 Guide Channel

Regular Visitor

Re: Just switched to X1 can't read the menu, terrible!!!

Exactly right Terri-I like the common sense way you think! More like most of my comments get deleted...I can be very impatient and very vocal with condescending know-it-alls. :-)
Regular Visitor

EXACTLY - right?! Like...WHAT has been solved, pray tell? Lol.
Regular Visitor

The fact that this topic was marked solved, when it hasn't been solved, is off-topic?
Most Valued Poster

@orlisgal wrote:
The fact that this topic was marked solved, when it hasn't been solved, is off-topic?

======
From what I have been told a rep can mark a topic as solved and its VERY MISLEADING. This is one topic that should be at the top of the list of NOT SOLVED.
Me talk  common sense?  Been called a lot of things on here and never heard that one before and now we are a group of TWO who think so....lol.
I am sorry that many of your posts get deleted. I tend to run my mouth too and never know when the censors will pop in.  I despise people who don't have the problem and and tell us  its US AND NOT THE PLATFORM.  If you don't have the problem....shut it! Its hard to control ones temper when a huge corp like Comcast takes a lot of money from us every month and we can't do the most basic thing..READ the guide or program info. Its absolutely ridiculous that this is not being addressed and fixed.We are not asking them to spin thread into gold. We have the right to be able to READ the  $^&(*(*&&( font

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Dropped mic...TerriB. You are spot on!
New Poster

is there a way to make the print larger on tv

i just got that x1 box and the print is so small you can't even read it.  is there any way to make it larger.  also i was told you can go on facebook thru the tv with the x1 box.  is there any extra charge for this?  thanks  donna

Expert

Re: is there a way to make the print larger on tv

@nupeedog3 wrote:

i just got that x1 box and the print is so small you can't even read it.  is there any way to make it larger.  also i was told you can go on facebook thru the tv with the x1 box.  is there any extra charge for this?  thanks  donna

can not change size of menu text, information text etc. 

re: charges the facebook will show you pictures and each bite used for facebook counts toward your montly bucket of data amount.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

problem not solved font and clarity of guide cannot be changes .

I went to the start of this thread and clicked on 'solution' it took me to  Comcast Andrew

who probably incorrectly marked this as solved ( I guess solved means nothing can be done!)

I think we have to keep starting new threads without the solved title so it might get attention.

comcast Andrew wrote

ComcastAndrew
Posted by
ComcastAndrew
‎06-22-2014 02:29 PM

OFFICIAL EMPLOYEE
Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.
Great Job! Your reply has been accepted. Thank you for helping and Congrats on your 1st Solution.
Communication is Key. Way to go, keep it up. Congrats on 100 Replies! View All

Message 854 of 857 (22,969 Views)
Re: Font too small on the X1 Guide Channel
Options
‎06-22-2014 11:54 AM

"Guide" is not an option in my Tools/Preferences Menu. Any other ideas? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

The original post was back when there was 2 types of guides, now there's only 1. As of now, you can't change font

I For one am changing back to Fios at the end of my 2 year contract or even before if I can be go thru the hassle

warren

New Poster

These posts are 2 years old. Why has nothing ever been done about this issue. I want a discount for this exceptionally poor service!!
Expert

@jsmp2016 wrote:
These posts are 2 years old. Why has nothing ever been done about this issue. I want a discount for this exceptionally poor service!!

@I suggest you take your complaint striaght to Comcast @ 1-800-266-2278 or 1-800-934-6489.  Complaining in these peer-to-peer support areas falls on deaf ears....

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information - (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers, the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing. Comcast Official Employees (OE) are identified with RED lettered User Names. Comcast Appointed Experts are identified with GREEN lettered User Names.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

how can you change the font size on the tv menu

How can you change the font size on the tv menu?  Tv menu font is way too small and hard to read and find what I need. Does the bigger size remote for disabilities have voice control?

I have only had the X1 set up for a day and hate it already. I'm thinking about going back to the old one. In the old one the menu is much easier to read, much easier to find programs, and is faster when looking for things. X1 so far is a huge disappointment. the only reason I got it is beacause I can tape more shows and access them from bedroom TV but I'm starting to think it may not be worth it because the set up on this is not disability friendly.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: how can you change the font size on the tv menu

There is no option to change the font size on the Guide.  Sorry.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

Font size

I cant freaking see the guide the font size is too small!

Tags (1)
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Font size

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/Font-too-small-on-the-X1-Guide-Channel/m-p/2043527#M10462

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Visitor

LETTERS ARE TO SMALL

The words are to small to read, there should be options to make your fonts bigger. Are there any suggesions and also there shold be a better pamphlet with all features and information on how to use X1. I don't know most features so I called comcast,(BIG MISTAKE),they knew nothing.Finding out I knew more than comcast didn't settle to good with me!  picgifs-smileys-8950529.gif

Silver Problem Solver

Re: LETTERS ARE TO SMALL

Your picture did not post. 

New Poster

MAKE THE USER GUIDE LARGER (font?) FOR VIEWING.

I recently converted to the X1 Preferred Double Play w/ Voice Remote.  When I press the guide button, the view is half the size of the previous version I had.  Is there a way to make the guide appear larger on screen?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: MAKE THE USER GUIDE LARGER (font?) FOR VIEWING.

@Dippy1Doo wrote:

I recently converted to the X1 Preferred Double Play w/ Voice Remote.  When I press the guide button, the view is half the size of the previous version I had.  Is there a way to make the guide appear larger on screen?

Do you have an older TV with a square screen?

Frequent Visitor

Comcast still hasn't acknowledged that there's a problem
Most Valued Poster

@RobertWy wrote:

@Dippy1Doo wrote:

Robert...please don't go down this road again about the type and size of the tv making the font unreadable. Its been proven time and time again that its NOT the tv and you are not being helpful pushing back with that tired old issue. Also...square tv screen?  Even old tvs have rectangular screens unless its a real antique from the 1950s.

I continue to marvel at new users joining the large X1 population who hate the font/guide yet Comcast won't turn up its hearing aid.

Problem Solver

Hello All,

We cannot change font size at this time. If you are having difficulty reading X1 font please reach out to https://www.comcastsupport.com/ChatEntry/Default.aspx?Trouble.Accessibility|form to chat with an Accessibility Agent.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee.
I no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions
may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered?
Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Expert
Moved:

Expert
Moved:

Re: how can you change the font size on the tv menu

Frequent Visitor

Will it do any good?   This has been going on for over a year!

Gold Problem Solver

@ComcastMatthew wrote:

Hello All,

We cannot change font size at this time. If you are having difficulty reading X1 font please reach out to https://www.comcastsupport.com/ChatEntry/Default.aspx?Trouble.Accessibility|form to chat with an Accessibility Agent.

Please explain HOW that will help with the small X1 font issue.

What will the Accessibility Agents be able to do about it when there is nothing they can do other than "note the issue and pass it along to the correct department so they can handle it" and "I apologize for the issue this is causing you"?

Contacting that department will be an exercise in futility unless they have a magic wand to wave or keys on a keyboard they can press to make it bigger.

Comcast needs to step up to the plate, realize that a lot of customer do have vision issues and change it so it is actually accessible to them.  Of course I am not surprised that it has not been done by now-Comcast routinely changes things without taking vision issues into consideration.

Most Valued Poster

The font issue is indeed an accessibility issue but the only accessiblity that Comcast takes care of is hearing impairment and there are lots of font size/color options in Closed Captioning which I always say makes zero sense for those who can't hear . If they don't consider vision an issue than I doubt talking to that dept would help. I am sure they have heard this before.

@Queen-Evie wrote:

@ComcastMatthew wrote:

Hello All,

What will the Accessibility Agents be able to do about it when there is nothing they can do other than "note the issue and pass it along to the correct department so they can handle it" and "I apologize for the issue this is causing you"?

Contacting that department will be an exercise in futility unless they have a magic wand to wave or keys on a keyboard they can press to make it bigger.

Comcast needs to step up to the plate, realize that a lot of customer do have vision issues and change it so it is actually accessible to them.  Of course I am not surprised that it has not been done by now-Comcast routinely changes things without taking vision issues into consideration.

Regular Contributor

@Queen-Evie wrote:

@ComcastMatthew wrote:

Hello All,

Maybe he figures that when you're upset about something, sometimes it's good just to talk to someone.  But in this case it's just a useless diversion.

New Poster

@RobertWy wrote:

Really, Robert?  Again?

Gold Problem Solver

Those of you who have no issues with the guide font size:

In March 2015 I said this, and it still applies

@Queen-Evie wrote:

I've only had X1 since Feb. 14th.

The small font size was one of the first things I noticed. Yes, I went through the settings and saw no way to change it.

I suppose I could pull out the binoculars and use that when I want to see the info.

No, I do not need new glasses. Even if I did, it would not increase the size.

Sitting closer will allow it be seen more easily, but that won't increase the size. And if I did sit closer to the tv, my chair would be in front of the couch, which would block the tv from those sitting on the couch.

The tv in the bedroom I could always move the tv stand to the middle of the room, thus having to walk around it.

Bigger tv's-I don't need nor do I want bigger tv's. The one's I have now are the perfect sizes for the rooms they are in.

Those who have no dogs in this fight need to take their dogs home.

So please stop telling me and others we need bigger TV's. Don't tell us to go through tv settings or whatever else you say will solve the issue. IT DOES NOT WORK!!!!

Most of all, stop discounting our very real vision issues, which if you do not have consider yourself lucky.

Even people without vision issues find it hard to see.

Do NOT tell us to go back to the Legacy boxes. If we wanted to do that we would have already done it by now.

Do NOT tell us to get a TIVO. Some of us cannot afford the upfront cost of a TIVO.

Do NOT tell us to switch providers. I have no desire to switch to Direct TV or Dish, which are my only options.

Stop asking if  we have the older TV with a square screen.  As I stated in another post in this topic, I did have an "older TV" in one room when X1 was installed.  There was NO difference between the guide font on it and the other tv that is a larger flat panel.  And when I had to replace the older tv 2 or 3 day after the X1 install, I got a nice new 30 something inch flat panel that is the perfect size for that room. The font size on the new tv was the same size as it was on the OLD tv.

Stop telling us we need a bigger TV.  My 3 tv's are all different sizes-font is the same on all of them.

One of my friends has a gigantic tv and the font size on it is the same as it is on mine, and still to small for me to see on that HUGE set.

Yippee for all of you who think it is fine.  At least have some consideration for those who think it is NOT ok.

Let us clamor for a way to make it  bigger without y'all telling us you think there is nothing wrong with it or get a bigger tv or with your silly questions or to do this and that which DOES NOT WORK.

Gold Problem Solver

I fall into the camp of "I am fine with it as it is now". I understand people have issues with the X1 guide. HOWEVER we need to be accurate here. Queen Evie this comment is completely incorrect:

"Stop telling us we need a bigger TV.  My 3 tv's are all different sizes-font is the same on all of them.

One of my friends has a gigantic tv and the font size on it is the same as it is on mine, and still to small for me to see on that HUGE set."

I just used a tape measure to compare the X1 font sizes on my 50" and 40" TV sets. The font sizes are ENTIRELY different. They are much larger on the 50" set.

I have said this before and I will say it again. I was told by people that are in a position to know that Comcast does not view this as a problem and more importantly they are not working on it. I was told it would be a "massive undertaking that we have neither the budget or manpower to accomplish".

Peeps unless something has changed recently, Comcast has absolutely no plans to change th X1 guide font......

@Queen-Evie wrote:

Those of you who have no issues with the guide font size:

In March 2015 I said this, and it still applies

@Queen-Evie wrote:

I've only had X1 since Feb. 14th.

The small font size was one of the first things I noticed. Yes, I went through the settings and saw no way to change it.

I suppose I could pull out the binoculars and use that when I want to see the info.

No, I do not need new glasses. Even if I did, it would not increase the size.

Sitting closer will allow it be seen more easily, but that won't increase the size. And if I did sit closer to the tv, my chair would be in front of the couch, which would block the tv from those sitting on the couch.

The tv in the bedroom I could always move the tv stand to the middle of the room, thus having to walk around it.

Bigger tv's-I don't need nor do I want bigger tv's. The one's I have now are the perfect sizes for the rooms they are in.

Those who have no dogs in this fight need to take their dogs home.

So please stop telling me and others we need bigger TV's. Don't tell us to go through tv settings or whatever else you say will solve the issue. IT DOES NOT WORK!!!!

Most of all, stop discounting our very real vision issues, which if you do not have consider yourself lucky.

Even people without vision issues find it hard to see.

Do NOT tell us to go back to the Legacy boxes. If we wanted to do that we would have already done it by now.

Do NOT tell us to get a TIVO. Some of us cannot afford the upfront cost of a TIVO.

Do NOT tell us to switch providers. I have no desire to switch to Direct TV or Dish, which are my only options.

Stop asking if  we have the older TV with a square screen.  As I stated in another post in this topic, I did have an "older TV" in one room when X1 was installed.  There was NO difference between the guide font on it and the other tv that is a larger flat panel.  And when I had to replace the older tv 2 or 3 day after the X1 install, I got a nice new 30 something inch flat panel that is the perfect size for that room. The font size on the new tv was the same size as it was on the OLD tv.

Stop telling us we need a bigger TV.  My 3 tv's are all different sizes-font is the same on all of them.

One of my friends has a gigantic tv and the font size on it is the same as it is on mine, and still to small for me to see on that HUGE set.

Yippee for all of you who think it is fine.  At least have some consideration for those who think it is NOT ok.

Let us clamor for a way to make it  bigger without y'all telling us you think there is nothing wrong with it or get a bigger tv or with your silly questions or to do this and that which DOES NOT WORK.

New Poster

Oops.  I kudo-ed the wrong person.  Ignore it, Rick.

New Poster

Re: Too small guide letters and black background on guide.

John 3758 suggested: 

If the size of the font is too small then...
If your TV is not HD, then set your box to 480i.
If your TV is HD, then set your box to 480i then back to 1080.

This worked for me!  Thank you!

Silver Problem Solver

32" TV - picture taken at a distance of 12 feet.

IMG_2335.JPG

Most Valued Poster

@ylla1 wrote:

John 3758 suggested: 

If the size of the font is too small then...
If your TV is not HD, then set your box to 480i.
If your TV is HD, then set your box to 480i then back to 1080.

This worked for me!  Thank you!

If you set non HD tv to 480i you lose  some of X1's useful  features. I can't recall specifically but I know that it was not acceptable and we were even more unhappy after trying that on our former large screen SD set.

New Poster

Looks like this has been going on for 1 1/2 years with no fix. I had old box replaced (due to it not suddenly not working) with x one without being told anything about it.
I agree this new guide is tiny, black & white & very hard to see.
I hate it!
The problem is that x one broadcasts in 1080p if you choose that option, which is crisper than 1080i, which is the best the old legacy boxes can do.
My son has a larger tv & sits closer.
He likes the guide just fine & loves the 1080p. I would gladly go back to the old box with the large, easy to read guide, but the store says my boxes have to be all x one or all old legacy style.
One more bad feature: you can turn on the x one cable box with the remote but you can't turn it off with the remote. Left them on overnight
And they were hot as a stove.
I called Comcast about these issues and the rep said they'd heard similar complaints and just to find a board to post on. She said they did not have any other way to take complaints. She also said she thought "in a few months" they "might" be upgrading the x one system but didn't sound sure or know if it included a better, larger guide, or remote turn off of the box.
Problem Solver

Hello Shay10,

I apologize for any inconvenience this issue may have caused you. The font size of the XFINITY X1 On-Screen Guide cannot be changed at this time. Customers who have difficulty reading on-screen text may benefit from enabling Voice Guidance, the talking guide feature on X1 - see X1 Talking Guide: The Voice Guidance Feature for more.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee.
I no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions
may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered?
Mark a post as the Best Answer!
New Poster

Font size

Font size on guide is to small. How do we make it bigger?
Expert
Moved:

TV font size

New Poster

I take issue with not just the font size, which is rather small and very thin/fine, but also the background color.  White on a dark background will result in the letters burning into your retinas.  When you look away from the white letters after a good 15 seconds of viewing, you can see the letters still in your eyes.  The general layout is alright (cheap looking like someone didn't know how to master the Excel spreadsheet program--and foolishly modeled the channel guide after the Excel spreadsheet program layout-- but alright, whatever) but there should be color and font options for the guide.  

Some people are not gifted with miraculously marvelous vision nor have some had lasik surgery to provide them with marvelous vision.  I personally need glasses and while i can read the font just fine size wise up close, the background color (dark, cold, dead black/dark grey) is brutal with that bright white font.  A more bold lettered white font (in a nice Times New Roman instead of a sad, spindly Arial) with a nice sage green background would be fantastic for me.  Options are nice to have and sometimes are necessary for those that can't see well or don't want their retinas burned out with bright white fonts set against a dark background.  The transparency setting is pretty cool, i'll give Xfinity that one, you can watch your movie while you fiddle with the guide and other stuff; but again, different guide color/style options would be great.

I'm using a huge modern projection screen Mitsubishi tv here and find the letters a tad too small and thin to be seen adequately from across the room.  They kind of blur together due to the brightness of the white and the twiggy font.  I'm young, motivated, i can move my behind closer to the tv if i need to to see the listings, however, there are older folks, such as my mum, that can't do that and are thus stuck with not being able to view the listings properly.  A remedy to this problem would be rather easy to accomplish with some good developer programming and easy in-box updates for the customers.  It is obviously a very popular complaint which means it should be addressed.  Xfinity doesn't want us all running off to At&t now do they?  Or maybe Dish or, if all else fails, Netflix for the win.

Now Xfinity, do note how brutally painful it is to your retinas to view this dark, small font against this glowing white forum background.  It's very similar to what we customers go through with the X1 channel guide.

Most Valued Poster

@AquilusDomini wrote:

I take issue with not just the font size, which is rather small and very thin/fine, but also the background color.  White on a dark background will result in the letters burning into your retinas.  When you look away from the white letters after a good 15 seconds of viewing, you can see the letters still in your eyes.  The general layout is alright (cheap looking like someone didn't know how to master the Excel spreadsheet program--and foolishly modeled the channel guide after the Excel spreadsheet program layout-- but alright, whatever) but there should be color and font options for the guide.  

Some people are not gifted with miraculously marvelous vision nor have some had lasik surgery to provide them with marvelous vision.  I personally need glasses and while i can read the font just fine size wise up close, the background color (dark, cold, dead black/dark grey) is brutal with that bright white font.  A more bold lettered white font (in a nice Times New Roman instead of a sad, spindly Arial) with a nice sage green background would be fantastic for me.  Options are nice to have and sometimes are necessary for those that can't see well or don't want their retinas burned out with bright white fonts set against a dark background.  The transparency setting is pretty cool, i'll give Xfinity that one, you can watch your movie while you fiddle with the guide and other stuff; but again, different guide color/style options would be great.

I'm using a huge modern projection screen Mitsubishi tv here and find the letters a tad too small and thin to be seen adequately from across the room.  They kind of blur together due to the brightness of the white and the twiggy font.  I'm young, motivated, i can move my behind closer to the tv if i need to to see the listings, however, there are older folks, such as my mum, that can't do that and are thus stuck with not being able to view the listings properly.  A remedy to this problem would be rather easy to accomplish with some good developer programming and easy in-box updates for the customers.  It is obviously a very popular complaint which means it should be addressed.  Xfinity doesn't want us all running off to At&t now do they?  Or maybe Dish or, if all else fails, Netflix for the win.

Now Xfinity, do note how brutally painful it is to your retinas to view this dark, small font against this glowing white forum background.  It's very similar to what we customers go through with the X1 channel guide.

---

Oh my goodness...you resurrected the dead horse they keep wanting me to leave in the grave in the most eloquent way and I thank you.

So many of us have those same issues and you may have come up with the root cause..THE FONT ITSELF.   The blinding white on black and blurry font have been my main 'shout outs' amd YES having a nice thick font rather than the thin thready blurry font thats there now would make it oh so much better. Its so hard to believe they cannot do something but as you have probably determined by this long topic....there has never been any offer to even investigate the problem/solution. I really think you have hit the nail squarely on the head about the FONT ITSELF.  Kudos to you.

Gold Problem Solver

White on black is fine for me although I do understand it is a problem for some.

My main complaint is that info is to small.

The other thing is when going through the guide and highlighting a program the title turns blue. The blue on black does not work for me.

Most Valued Poster

@Queen-Evie wrote:

White on black is fine for me although I do understand it is a problem for some.

My main complaint is that info is to small.

The other thing is when going through the guide and highlighting a program the title turns blue. The blue on black does not work for me.

I agree that the font is indeed too small. That and the white on black is a nightmare for so many of us. I do think that using a bolder thicker font would help alot. I would take any change if it would help.

Contributor

On‎ 09-19-2014ComcastBrandon wrote: 

Please keep in mind this issue might not be fixed by dinnertime

Might not, huh? Quite an understatement, I'd say... 

Most Valued Poster

@Kaniac wrote:

On‎ 09-19-2014ComcastBrandon wrote: 

Please keep in mind this issue might not be fixed by dinnertime

Might not, huh? Quite an understatement, I'd say... 

PREACH!!!

Contributor

Thanks, Terri!

I keep trying to submit a reply to ComcastMatthew, and the filter keeps telling me I have "used a bad word" and to "clean it up!" What? No bad words here! 

I deleted the first word they implied was bad, which wasn't at all, and now they are honing in on another. Also not a bad word. I don't know what to make of it! I just want to share my experience with the font size.  It's totally clean! 

Gold Problem Solver

Off topic but letting you know that the Nanny filter has gone haywire.

It's flagging words that are not bad words.

For example, last night I got flagged for using the words channel and bill.

Someone else got flagged or using the word history.

This has been reported to ComcastJessie.

Most Valued Poster

@Kaniac wrote:

Thanks, Terri!

I keep trying to submit a reply to ComcastMatthew, and the filter keeps telling me I have "used a bad word" and to "clean it up!" What? No bad words here! 

I deleted the first word they implied was bad, which wasn't at all, and now they are honing in on another. Also not a bad word. I don't know what to make of it! I just want to share my experience with the font size.  It's totally clean! 

Some of the censored words are just ridiculous. We spend more time cleaning up words that don't need it to satisfy the censors. Usually it tells you what the 'bad' word is and you will just have to react to their very strict censors and change the words.

OMG...it censored what they said was a bad word so I had to change it to strict. It was not a bad word.  They are going way over the top with this stuff.

Most Valued Poster

@Queen-Evie wrote:

Off topic but letting you know that the Nanny filter has gone haywire.

It's flagging words that are not bad words.

For example, last night I got flagged for using the words channel and bill.

Someone else got flagged or using the word history.

This has been reported to ComcastJessie.

THANK GOODNESS. Its is censoring almost everything today.   I could not believe it.  Check you PM for a phrase it censored on me. I tried to show it here but of course it got flagged. (NEVER MIND...the benign phrase I wanted to share with you cannot be used in a PM either..duh on me.) This is ABSURD behavior and needs to STOP.

Contributor

Thanks, QE! Those are EXACTLY the types of words it keeps tsk-tsking me about! So bizarre. And irritating. 

Contributor

@TerriB wrote:

you will just have to react to their very strict censors and change the words.

In another message I tried sending someone else, but was again stopped by the filter, they captured the entire (pretty short) email as the "bad word." Not a single remotely bad word among them.

This is fun.