Community Forum

Font too small on the X1 Guide Channel

Most Valued Poster

Re: Too small guide letters and black background on guide.


@geek46 wrote:
Flaming / Baiting Post Removed. Be nice!

I just want it known that it was NOT me who flamed. I got email notice of a post from Corey  and when I went to look at it the forum told me I could not access the post. I see why now knowing that it was removed.  I figured Corey was not going to leave me alone and  I was prepared not to take his bait any longer. I have not said anything out of turn about our issue with the font/contrast and where Comcast puts its emphasis.

 

If Comcast moderators have a problem with me I would appreciate being directly approached. Seeing a post removed with my name on it is not fun because no one knows it was not my post that was flaming unless I speak up. I do not like being put on the defensive over something I did not do

 

 

 

Contributor

Re: Too small guide letters and black background on guide.

Getting back to the original topic, I first encountered this when my wife and I went for a Triple Pay deal last Year (2015).  We had to downgrade TV boxes (and service) to solve it.  So, now we have a Triple Play minus X1 package.

 

I'd say "try binoculars" as a "solution", but that would probably occasion another flame.  Seriously, I'm trying to help find a non-Comcast solution

 

Comcast, why not publish information that tells us the characteristics of TVs on which the font is known to work?  Or, perhaps those users that have no problem could pubish their TV's information:  Make, Model, Oh and Year built (this might be important as the issue might be limited to particular, older TVs).  That discussion, seems to me, might bear fruit.  And might also help developers find the cause.

 

For those having the problem, I would also like the same data, identifying that the data is associated with a nonworking situation.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Too small guide letters and black background on guide.

I would be happy to include all my information, if it would help.  But the last picture in this thread shows a real problem.  But NONE of my five TV's have that user's issue.  I have been participating in this forum for two + years and I have no clue why some TV's have the issue and the majority of the (five million?) users don't have it.

 

 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Contributor

Re: Too small guide letters and black background on guide.

RobertWy, I have no idea,either.  But please go  ahead with your TVs' info.  If others do that, we might be able to get some data that helps.  Oh, and the model number and manufacture date of you X1 boxes might be helpful, also. 

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Too small guide letters and black background on guide.

60" Samsung 1080P 3D LED HDMI to Pace V1 DVR

 

42" Vizio 1080P LED HDMI to Pace V1 DVR

 

32" Vizio 1080P LED HDMI to XG2v2 

 

32" Vizio 720P LED HDMI to XG2v2

 

40" Dynex 720P HDMI to XG2v2

 

Edit:

I don't have Guide problems on any of these TV's.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Contributor

Re: Too small guide letters and black background on guide.

Thanks.  Anyone else?

Frequent Visitor

Re: Too small guide letters and black background on guide.

Problem resolved, I moved my easy chair to the middle of the room 6 feet from the TV.

Regular Contributor

Re: Too small guide letters and black background on guide.


@MycroftXX wrote:

Getting back to the original topic, I first encountered this when my wife and I went for a Triple Pay deal last Year (2015).  We had to downgrade TV boxes (and service) to solve it.  So, now we have a Triple Play minus X1 package.

 

I'd say "try binoculars" as a "solution", but that would probably occasion another flame.  Seriously, I'm trying to help find a non-Comcast solution

 

Comcast, why not publish information that tells us the characteristics of TVs on which the font is known to work?  Or, perhaps those users that have no problem could pubish their TV's information:  Make, Model, Oh and Year built (this might be important as the issue might be limited to particular, older TVs).  That discussion, seems to me, might bear fruit.  And might also help developers find the cause.


Here are mine:

 

Panasonic PT/AX100U 720P projector from 2007

TCL L40FHDF12TA 40" 1080P tv from 2012

TCL Roku TV 55FS4610R 55" 1080P tv from 2015

 

I don't have the guide problem on any of these.

Most Valued Poster

Re: Too small guide letters and black background on guide.

Its  interesting to see what kind of tv sets people have and that they have no problem reading the guide/info but do we really think this is getting to  the root cause for those who do have the problem?   Almost sounds like a conspiracy theory that Comcast X1 only supports certain makes/models/ sizes and are in cahoots with the manufacturers. Sorry but I don't believe these lists are going to change anything or helping to solve the problem . Regardless of what the cause may be and I doubt we ever find out.... the solution is to just give those with a viewing problem back the options to change the font/contrast just like the existing ones for those with a hearing problem

 

I guess after page after page of tv lists the next step will be for someone to ask those with the font issue to list their sets and then someone will want a little program written to  see how many sets are in both lists . And then what? Go to Comcast with this or the manufacturers or the FCC? Really folks? I believe in going outside the box to find causes and solutions but this all seems to be busy work and mostly for those who do not have the issue in the first place .  The happy users are stirring the pot and why is beyond me.

Regular Contributor

Re: Too small guide letters and black background on guide.

I think what Mycroft is try to accomplish is to see if we can find 2 people with the same sets where one has the problem and the other doesn't.  I really believe that the problem has nothing to do with people's TVs and that it is actually a problem with Comcast servers.

Expert

Re: Too small guide letters and black background on guide.


@CoreyD wrote:

I think what Mycroft is try to accomplish is to see if we can find 2 people with the same sets where one has the problem and the other doesn't.  I really believe that the problem has nothing to do with people's TVs and that it is actually a problem with Comcast servers.


Just for the sake of clarificartion, what grounds makes you believe the cloud delivered guide is a server issue for font/readability at the end-user?


The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information - (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers, the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing. Comcast Official Employees (OE) are identified with RED lettered User Names. Comcast Appointed Experts are identified with GREEN lettered User Names.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

Re: Too small guide letters and black background on guide.


@geek46 wrote:

@CoreyD wrote:

I think what Mycroft is try to accomplish is to see if we can find 2 people with the same sets where one has the problem and the other doesn't.  I really believe that the problem has nothing to do with people's TVs and that it is actually a problem with Comcast servers.


Just for the sake of clarificartion, what grounds makes you believe the cloud delivered guide is a server issue for font/readability at the end-user?


The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information - (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers, the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing. Comcast Official Employees (OE) are identified with RED lettered User Names. Comcast Appointed Experts are identified with GREEN lettered User Names.


I have seen people comment that they have no problem reading text on other services (Netfix, Hulu, etc.) so that would lead me to believe that it's either their X1 box, which would mean that there are a lot of defects out there, or a problem with local/regional servers.

Regular Contributor

Re: Too small guide letters and black background on guide.

To elaborate even further, in the time that I've spent reading the many problems people have related to server access (guide problems, on demand problems, channel switching problems, etc.) I'm starting to get the feeling that Comcast is having fragmentation issues.  Obviously, they have many servers around the country, and people seem to experience random problems that many other people aren't seeing.  Is it so hard to believe that these servers have the occasional glitch which causes issues for some but not everyone?  It's not for me.

Most Valued Poster

Re: Too small guide letters and black background on guide.

We can read any text presented on all three of our tvs which are different sizes unless it X1 guide/info  ( and no I will not list the brand names because its irrelevant). I repeat...never had a problem reading anything that is not part of the X1 guide features. This past week we had a blizzard and there was  constant scrawl at the top and two or three lines of it at the bottom. At times there was more text than picture and none of it was fuzzy or blurry regardless of the size and we could read it just fine. Used same eyes, sat same distance from screen, same lighting.

 

Its not the viewer or the distance or the tv equipment....its X1.

 

Contributor

Re: Too small guide letters and black background on guide.

First of all, TerriB, I DO have the problem.  Rather, I DID, because I had to downgrade our TV boxes to old ones.  Now we have a Triple Play minus one package and are paying more for it.  So the comment about those that don't have the problem playing around is false.

 

Second, CoreyD's point about servers is credible, but without data it's only a theory.

 

Third, TerryB, I don't consider this just busywork.  I used this technique, successfully, for many years as a software developer to determine the cause of perplexing problems.  Unless we have some idea of the cause, there is NOTHING that can be done, so we are all wasting our breath.

 

Fourth, I have no illusions that this will pressure Comcast into doing anything.  The FCC doesn't care about this kind of issue nor do the manufacturers.

 

Fifth, what harm does it do to attempt an analysis which might pinpoint a cause, and help us find a way to work around it?

 

Sixth, it is clear that something is going on within the X1 system and Comcast either will not or cannot do anything about it.  Whether it is endemic to the entire system, or only affects a limited number of customers is not the point.  We, the customers, are left with a defacto situation and no commitment by our supplier to resolve it.   What can we do?  Obviously, we can change services, and that is just what many may have already done.  Or, we can seek to figure out, from our side of the fence, whether there is a workaround we can live with.  I, for one, think that action I can, and know how to, take is preferable to this continual complaining.

 

Seventh, the point about only collecting data on one side of the issue is valid.  I amend my previous post to include both side, working and not working.

Most Valued Poster

Re: Too small guide letters and black background on guide.


@MycroftXX wrote:

First of all, TerriB, I DO have the problem.  Rather, I DID, because I had to downgrade our TV boxes to old ones.  Now we have a Triple Play minus one package and are paying more for it.  So the comment about those that don't have the problem playing around is false.

 

Second, CoreyD's point about servers is credible, but without data it's only a theory.

 

Third, TerryB, I don't consider this just busywork.  I used this technique, successfully, for many years as a software developer to determine the cause of perplexing problems.  Unless we have some idea of the cause, there is NOTHING that can be done, so we are all wasting our breath.

 

Fourth, I have no illusions that this will pressure Comcast into doing anything.  The FCC doesn't care about this kind of issue nor do the manufacturers.

 

Fifth, what harm does it do to attempt an analysis which might pinpoint a cause, and help us find a way to work around it?

 

Sixth, it is clear that something is going on within the X1 system and Comcast either will not or cannot do anything about it.  Whether it is endemic to the entire system, or only affects a limited number of customers is not the point.  We, the customers, are left with a defacto situation and no commitment by our supplier to resolve it.   What can we do?  Obviously, we can change services, and that is just what many may have already done.  Or, we can seek to figure out, from our side of the fence, whether there is a workaround we can live with.  I, for one, think that action I can, and know how to, take is preferable to this continual complaining.

 

Seventh, the point about only collecting data on one side of the issue is valid.  I amend my previous post to include both side, working and not working.



----
You decided to downgrade to get rid of the problem and thats your choice. I don't think that what you call complaining is worse than doing what you did. I will not comment further because you are out of line with me and I will  not give you the audience you seek.
Contributor

Re: Too small guide letters and black background on guide.

Thank you.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"But I'm just a soul whose intentions are good
Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood"  - The Animals

New Poster

The Guide on Xfinity

PLEASE work on making the guide more viewable.  The Black background against white tiny lettering makes it almost impossible to read.  Why not emulate what Direct Tv or other providers use to make the guide more readable.  Seriously, this is a real problem that needs to be addressed.  It's the worst part of your service.

New Poster

guide on x1

the guide is hard fo me to see is there a way to make it bigger ?

Expert

Re: guide on x1


@elijah2009 wrote:

the guide is hard fo me to see is there a way to make it bigger ?


There are no adjustments that can be made to the Guide....(font, color, size,etc)


The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information - (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers, the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing. Comcast Official Employees (OE) are identified with RED lettered User Names. Comcast Appointed Experts are identified with GREEN lettered User Names.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Font size on guide

PLEASE make it a priority to update the font size on the guide!! we really hate our new system for not being able to read it. all the features are great if you can see them to use them!!! Help  please work on making the guide easier to see. make viewng the guide have choices on how to view. for example displaying only 3 channels at a time with larger font. please do asap, we are miserable!!!

New Poster

Background for Guide

I am trying to change the background color of th Guide Screen. Have changed the setting so the background is not so dark but that does very little.  The Guide is very difficult to read with the current colors and the white print is so small I have to stand directly in front of the TV to read this.  Many of my friends complain about the same thing.  I am a new customer and would like to know if there is a way to change the background color and size of the print.  This is very fustrating.  Thank you

Expert

Re: Too small guide letters and black background on guide.


@CoreyD wrote:

I think what Mycroft is try to accomplish is to see if we can find 2 people with the same sets where one has the problem and the other doesn't.  I really believe that the problem has nothing to do with people's TVs and that it is actually a problem with Comcast servers.


I would posit that the issue is the TV setup (brightness, contrast, sharpness, video processing settings (like game vs cinema), gamma levels, white(level) balance, backlight proper setting, and distance to viewing.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

guid font size

Please look into making the font size in the guide adjustable.   My new X1 Box is great but the font is too small to read comfortablely with out getting up and walking closer to the screen.  I see that this hav been an issue for many viewers.  I hope this can be addressed soon.  

Expert

Re: guid font size


@Ltrinkaus wrote:

Please look into making the font size in the guide adjustable.   My new X1 Box is great but the font is too small to read comfortablely with out getting up and walking closer to the screen.  I see that this hav been an issue for many viewers.  I hope this can be addressed soon.  


it is a web (HTML) formatted page not a software adjustable presentation. The web page is viewable on the x1 equipment, xtv.comcast.net, or any smart device using the app xfinity TV.

 

when equipment is available that is Vidi-Path-certified (DLNA), it will display it precisely the same with the familiar menus (no apps) we see today.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Re: Too small guide letters and black background on guide.

OK, I have read through all the posts on this thread and noticed a number were copied from other threads, as well.  I followed links to see screens and read information on CNET.

 

I still maintain that, contrary to TerriB's insitence that Comcast fix it, this issue will not be resolved within the remaining life of the cosmos, if Comast is doing it.  So, the question still remains, what to do?

 

I have read all the posts about TV setup, size, viewing dx, etc, and it seems that they may be onto something.  I'm going to see if my local Comcast store would be willing to let me bring in my Sony, which I guarantee had the symptom when I left X1, and hook it to one of their demo cable boxes.  If so, I may be able to figure out which TV settings, if any, actually affect the problem.

 

I'm going in.  Wish me luck.

Regular Visitor

menu visual sharpness clarity

Although I do not have an HD TV, the text words on actual programs are sharp and clear, which I feel shows that the fault is not my TV.  The text on the TV guide part is hard to read and somewhat blurry. Anyway to make the words easier to read?

Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: menu visual sharpness clarity

Post the model of the cable box and how it's connected to the TV.

Most Valued Poster

Re: Too small guide letters and black background on guide.


@MycroftXX wrote:

OK, I have read through all the posts on this thread and noticed a number were copied from other threads, as well.  I followed links to see screens and read information on CNET.

 

I still maintain that, contrary to TerriB's insitence that Comcast fix it, this issue will not be resolved within the remaining life of the cosmos, if Comast is doing it.  So, the question still remains, what to do?

 

I have read all the posts about TV setup, size, viewing dx, etc, and it seems that they may be onto something.  I'm going to see if my local Comcast store would be willing to let me bring in my Sony, which I guarantee had the symptom when I left X1, and hook it to one of their demo cable boxes.  If so, I may be able to figure out which TV settings, if any, actually affect the problem.

 

I'm going in.  Wish me luck.

 

MycroftXX...I only insist that Comcast should fix the problem because its their job and they  took away the font options from X1 so should resurrect the code for the option.  No one from Comcast has ever stated that they can't do that since they don't care to address the issue at all.

 

Your idea is wonderful but don't ask their permission to take your tv to them. Want to make a statement? March in there with your set and request a hookup. That will GET their attention. I don't have a car big enough to carry a tv set to them or trust me I would do it.


 

Most Valued Poster

Re: Too small guide letters and black background on guide.


@Rustyben wrote:

@CoreyD wrote:

I think what Mycroft is try to accomplish is to see if we can find 2 people with the same sets where one has the problem and the other doesn't.  I really believe that the problem has nothing to do with people's TVs and that it is actually a problem with Comcast servers.


I would posit that the issue is the TV setup (brightness, contrast, sharpness, video processing settings (like game vs cinema), gamma levels, white(level) balance, backlight proper setting, and distance to viewing.


Rusyben.....if we can read all the fonts on our tv sets except X1 guide then its not the tv setup. I think most of us have tried everything to increase the readability and please stop telling us to sit closer.

Regular Visitor

Re: menu visual sharpness clarity

on front it says "XG1-A and it is connected from the box directly to the TV with a coax cord. I have already tried changing the background darkness with the settings as I saw suggested, but it didn't help much

Silver Problem Solver

Re: menu visual sharpness clarity

A coax connection is not very good.  Does your TV have either component or composite connections that match what the X1 box has?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

Re: menu visual sharpness clarity


@Tim12715 wrote:

on front it says "XG1-A and it is connected from the box directly to the TV with a coax cord. I have already tried changing the background darkness with the settings as I saw suggested, but it didn't help much


the real problem is resolution. it has been said many times on forums that comcast seems to have designed the x1 (menu for example) for HD and it really isn't very good for SD. I would add "especially if connected by coax cable". The possible resolution (detail) in picture and color is astoundingly different for 262 1/2 scan lines per field interlace and 1080 lines per picture. it is like printing a picture with an old dot matrix printer as compared to a new inkjet or laser printer. You just can't get much detail (meaning looks fuzzy) out of old NTSC interlaced TV. The best bet would be a DTA which has a menu in many/most markets now that includes a program guide and is designed for SD.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Most Valued Poster

Re: menu visual sharpness clarity


@Rustyben wrote:

@Tim12715 wrote:

on front it says "XG1-A and it is connected from the box directly to the TV with a coax cord. I have already tried changing the background darkness with the settings as I saw suggested, but it didn't help much


the real problem is resolution. it has been said many times on forums that comcast seems to have designed the x1 (menu for example) for HD and it really isn't very good for SD. I would add "especially if connected by coax cable". The possible resolution (detail) in picture and color is astoundingly different for 262 1/2 scan lines per field interlace and 1080 lines per picture. it is like printing a picture with an old dot matrix printer as compared to a new inkjet or laser printer. You just can't get much detail (meaning looks fuzzy) out of old NTSC interlaced TV. The best bet would be a DTA which has a menu in many/most markets now that includes a program guide and is designed for SD.


Why are we back to discussing SD vs HD sets? Since we have had many post their tv type please show me those that are SD and/or those who have voiced their displeasure with the font/contrast and have SD. We are way beyond SD being the issue.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: menu visual sharpness clarity

I would bet that every X1 customer that uses an SD TV will be unhappy with it.  The legacy and SD DTA's work much better with SD TV's.

 

I know because I had an SD TV and it was unacceptable with X1.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Most Valued Poster

Re: menu visual sharpness clarity


@RobertWy wrote:

I would bet that every X1 customer that uses an SD TV will be unhappy with it.  The legacy and SD DTA's work much better with SD TV's.

 

I know because I had an SD TV and it was unacceptable with X1.


 I have not seen anyone in a very long time who  reports the problem and says they have SD set and many have posted the type of HD set they have. We used to have a large SD set and X1 worked absolutely perfectly except for the font issue. Thought HD would fix the problem but it didn't and I am not going to get into technical specs about my sets. Its non productive.

New Poster

Tv guide is very hard to read when is comcast going to fix problem

I  just got a x1 box, the tv guide is so hard to see, the letters are a blur, to small to read, I  pay good money for this service. This needs to be fixed  so far I have been told , yes we know there is a problem.

New Poster

Re: Tv guide is very hard to read when is comcast going to fix problem

I agree. Comcast needs to provide options to make the guide size adjustable (for example, zoom in on the selected program or show fewer programs and make each listing larger). 

 

When will these features be available?

New Poster

Re: Font too small on the X1 Guide Channel

Go to preferences and turn down the transparency (so you can't see the program behind the guide).  That will increase the contrast.

 

I'd love it if they'd go back to the original guide views which were easy to read -- OR -- at the very least, let the new guide fill the whole screen and get rid of the bottom nonsense.  If I wanted the bottom info, I'd prefer to press the info button for a pop-up -- please.

 

 

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Font too small on the X1 Guide Channel

I fine this post very interesting.

"Go to preferences and turn down the transparency (so you can't see the program behind the guide).  That will increase the contrast."

This comment makes me wonder about the quality of TV you have and how you have the picture settings adjusted.

I have four X1 boxes in my house. I have my X1 boxes set to background setting 1 which means I can see the program in the background. The guide is still PERFECTLY legible on all four of my TVs.

If you need to set the X1 guide so you can't see the program in the background there is something wrong with your TV or how you have the picture settings adjusted.


@bb88keys wrote:

Go to preferences and turn down the transparency (so you can't see the program behind the guide).  That will increase the contrast.

 

I'd love it if they'd go back to the original guide views which were easy to read -- OR -- at the very least, let the new guide fill the whole screen and get rid of the bottom nonsense.  If I wanted the bottom info, I'd prefer to press the info button for a pop-up -- please.

 

 







 

Contributor

Re: Font too small on the X1 Guide Channel

Having to adjust your TV to read simple TEXT  is nuts. It should be easy to read at any setting. Every other text is easily read just not the X1 guide provided by Comcast. Hence it is the way Comcast provide the guide TEXT. 

Just saw an annoying text ad show for an up coming tv show on the bottom of the program I'm watching. It was clear as a bell. It the X1 guide that is imprecise.

Please stop telling us we should be able to read the guide. It just fills up our forum with junk.

You have no skin in this problem please but out.

( or do you provide the guide service to Comcast?).

thank you

warren

Expert

Re: Font too small on the X1 Guide Channel


@Warren505 wrote:

Having to adjust your TV to read simple TEXT  is nuts. It should be easy to read at any setting. Every other text is easily read just not the X1 guide provided by Comcast. Hence it is the way Comcast provide the guide TEXT. 

Just saw an annoying text ad show for an up coming tv show on the bottom of the program I'm watching. It was clear as a bell. It the X1 guide that is imprecise.

Please stop telling us we should be able to read the guide. It just fills up our forum with junk.

You have no skin in this problem please but out.

( or do you provide the guide service to Comcast?).

thank you

warren


for a test, while watching live TV, go into the diagnostic screen. (long press exit for 3-4 seconds, release and quickly press and release down down 2). when the white popup screen comes up hit the OK button. then press down (to get to a screen with data - will be in-band). are those easy to read? 

 

hit exit to go back to live tv.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Most Valued Poster

Re: Font too small on the X1 Guide Channel


@Warren505 wrote:

Having to adjust your TV to read simple TEXT  is nuts. It should be easy to read at any setting. Every other text is easily read just not the X1 guide provided by Comcast. Hence it is the way Comcast provide the guide TEXT. 

Just saw an annoying text ad show for an up coming tv show on the bottom of the program I'm watching. It was clear as a bell. It the X1 guide that is imprecise.

Please stop telling us we should be able to read the guide. It just fills up our forum with junk.

You have no skin in this problem please but out.

( or do you provide the guide service to Comcast?).

thank you

warren


Thank you Warren, there is a long history of those who do not have skin in this game and insist there is something wrong with our tvs/settings/eyes/distance from tvs and its tiring. Those who  don't have the problem should stop interjecting! Its not helping us one bit. Like you I can read all other small text on the tv BUT not the X1 guide info. Its even more disturbing that the font optioin was there until 2014 and they took it away.

Contributor

Re: Font too small on the X1 Guide Channel

I was watching NBC ( on 803) HD. 

Got to the digonostic screen.

The font is hard to read too.

I can read if I concentrate.  The white background is sort of grey not bright white.

 

i notice the time line on bottom of regular pic when you hit ok is the same fuzzy edged font as the guide.

its this fuzzy edge and inconsistent Brightness of the colors that makes it difficult to view.

 

It's  like the text in the guide , time line etc is not in the same HD or same quality as the tv.

The text is like looking at an old computer CRT mono color screen from the 80's.

when we had to look at those computer screens , sometimes green, you has to be 2 feet from the screen to see the simple text we were typing in those days......

is this the problem, the text is not generated in HD because it a overlay on the screen and not part of the real picturer?

warren

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Font too small on the X1 Guide Channel

My comments were directed to bb88keys exclusively (which is the reason I quoted his/her post)...

I was not trying to tell anyone else anything other than I CAN read the guide (even without my glasses). 

I have been selling TVs for 39 years along with designing and installing high end theater systems. I know exactly why people are having issues reading the X1 guide.

As long as we are talking about "filling this forum with junk", I have a different view of this. Through their silence, Comcast has made it clear and obvious they have no plans to change this. I was told by a Comcast employee (who happens to be in a position to know all about this) a little over a year ago that Comcast had not even given this issue serious consideration and there were no plans to devote any resources to changing it. The X1 guide is what it is and should be judged how it appears now.

My point is this: people who think they can "browbeat" Comcast into changing the X1 guide font are wasting their time and essentially filling this forum with a different form of junk...



@Warren505 wrote:

Having to adjust your TV to read simple TEXT  is nuts. It should be easy to read at any setting. Every other text is easily read just not the X1 guide provided by Comcast. Hence it is the way Comcast provide the guide TEXT. 

Just saw an annoying text ad show for an up coming tv show on the bottom of the program I'm watching. It was clear as a bell. It the X1 guide that is imprecise.

Please stop telling us we should be able to read the guide. It just fills up our forum with junk.

You have no skin in this problem please but out.

( or do you provide the guide service to Comcast?).

thank you

warren









Expert

Re: Font too small on the X1 Guide Channel


@Warren505 wrote:

I was watching NBC ( on 803) HD. 

Got to the digonostic screen.

The font is hard to read too.

I can read if I concentrate.  The white background is sort of grey not bright white.

 

i notice the time line on bottom of regular pic when you hit ok is the same fuzzy edged font as the guide.

its this fuzzy edge and inconsistent Brightness of the colors that makes it difficult to view.

 

It's  like the text in the guide , time line etc is not in the same HD or same quality as the tv.

The text is like looking at an old computer CRT mono color screen from the 80's.

when we had to look at those computer screens , sometimes green, you has to be 2 feet from the screen to see the simple text we were typing in those days......

is this the problem, the text is not generated in HD because it a overlay on the screen and not part of the real picturer?

warren


when you go up close (foot) from the TV do the fonts look fuzzy on the edges? are you watching a projection or LCD TV ?



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Re: Font too small on the X1 Guide Channel

To rusty Ben,

Regular led tv , did not know anybody still used projection tv's

panasonic veria 31 or 37 can't remember.

and it stays fuzzy and varying brightness letters close up.

warren

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Font too small on the X1 Guide Channel

When viewed on an HD TV set, the X1 guide font should not be "fuzzy". It should be nearly as clear and crisp as text is on a computer monitor.

Warren, have you CONFIRMED you are actually using an HDMI connection? Are you turning your TV to channel 3 in order to see your cable TV picture?

Also, where is your TV's sharpness level set to? If a TV's sharpness level is set too high, fuzzy text with jagged edges is one of the most noticeable negative effects. With most of today's TV sets, the halfway point (50%) should be considered maximum. Anything beyond that can create fuzzy text. I usually have the sharpness adjustment on my TVs set to 25% to 40%...



@Warren505 wrote:

To rusty Ben,

Regular led tv , did not know anybody still used projection tv's

panasonic veria 31 or 37 can't remember.

and it stays fuzzy and varying brightness letters close up.

warren







Most Valued Poster

Re: Font too small on the X1 Guide Channel


@RickGr4 wrote:

My comments were directed to bb88keys exclusively (which is the reason I quoted his/her post)...

I was not trying to tell anyone else anything other than I CAN read the guide (even without my glasses). 

I have been selling TVs for 39 years along with designing and installing high end theater systems. I know exactly why people are having issues reading the X1 guide.

As long as we are talking about "filling this forum with junk", I have a different view of this. Through their silence, Comcast has made it clear and obvious they have no plans to change this. I was told by a Comcast employee (who happens to be in a position to know all about this) a little over a year ago that Comcast had not even given this issue serious consideration and there were no plans to devote any resources to changing it. The X1 guide is what it is and should be judged how it appears now.

My point is this: people who think they can "browbeat" Comcast into changing the X1 guide font are wasting their time and essentially filling this forum with a different form of junk...



@Warren505 wrote:

Having to adjust your TV to read simple TEXT  is nuts. It should be easy to read at any setting. Every other text is easily read just not the X1 guide provided by Comcast. Hence it is the way Comcast provide the guide TEXT. 

Just saw an annoying text ad show for an up coming tv show on the bottom of the program I'm watching. It was clear as a bell. It the X1 guide that is imprecise.

Please stop telling us we should be able to read the guide. It just fills up our forum with junk.

You have no skin in this problem please but out.

( or do you provide the guide service to Comcast?).

thank you

warren

=====

Hey there my friend Rick,

There are still too many of us who cannot read the font regardless of the size/type tv or how much we adjust it or where we sit. More and more new X1 users are adding their stories. Not talking about browbeating Comcast but for heaven's sake why can't they just put the font options back that they took away! Such a simple thing to allow changes to fonts/contrasts. Just like the recording buffer, slo mo and frame by frame...they keep eliminating universal basic functionality and adding fluff for targeted audiences. I know they don't give a hoot as long as we keep sending in the money.

 

Terri










 

Contributor

Re: Too small guide letters and black background on guide.

Just an update.  I have been busy with other things, and not able to get to a Comcast store, yet.  I expect to have some time this week to try it.


@MycroftXX wrote:

OK, I have read through all the posts on this thread and noticed a number were copied from other threads, as well.  I followed links to see screens and read information on CNET.

 

I still maintain that, contrary to TerriB's insitence that Comcast fix it, this issue will not be resolved within the remaining life of the cosmos, if Comast is doing it.  So, the question still remains, what to do?

 

I have read all the posts about TV setup, size, viewing dx, etc, and it seems that they may be onto something.  I'm going to see if my local Comcast store would be willing to let me bring in my Sony, which I guarantee had the symptom when I left X1, and hook it to one of their demo cable boxes.  If so, I may be able to figure out which TV settings, if any, actually affect the problem.

 

I'm going in.  Wish me luck.