Community Forum

Font too small on the X1 Guide Channel

New Poster

Increase the font on TV guide

Is there a way to increase the font on the TV listings guide?

New Poster

Re: Too small guide letters and black background on guide.

I just got X1 today and I agree: the guide font is almost impossible to see. This is a very old post that I'm replying to. Has nothing been done to fix it?
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Increase the font on TV guide

@kewingga wrote:

Is there a way to increase the font on the TV listings guide?

Sorry, there is no way to change it.

Be sure your Settings match the resolution of your TV.

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-video-display/

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

X1 font on guide too small

Like many others, The X1 guide font is not readable to me unless I get out of the chair and

stand in front of the TV, had no problem with my old box. I sure hope Comcast is working on this issue.

I like very much the rest of the features on the X1 system.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: X1 font on guide too small

@jldi wrote:

Like many others, The X1 guide font is not readable to me unless I get out of the chair and

stand in front of the TV, had no problem with my old box. I sure hope Comcast is working on this issue.

I like very much the rest of the features on the X1 system.

It has been an issue for more than a year, so I don't know whether they are working on it.

What size and type of TV do you have?  My smallest TV is a 32" LED but the contrast on the Guide is excellent and I can see it at a distance.

The white lettering on the Guide is very bright against a black background.  Can you try changing the TV's contrast or other settings?

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 font on guide too small

My TV is a 42 inch LCD. The program guide may be very readable for younger viewers but some

of us seniors have a problem reading from a distance. My old comcast box, the program guide

was very readable. You are right that part of the problem may be the black background.

Hopefully if Comcast allows users select font they will also be able to select background color.

New Poster

Brandon please add my household to this issue of too small of font and maybe needs a different color choice for words. I'm debating weather to set this other box up in the bedroom or not.  When I told my husband, I couldn't believe Comcast hadn't even thought about the visually impaired people.( and you really don't need to be technally visually impaired to not beable to see this guide clearly) he told me that's Comcast for you. 

Expert

@moon57 wrote:

Brandon please add my household to this issue of too small of font and maybe needs a different color choice for words. I'm debating weather to set this other box up in the bedroom or not.  When I told my husband, I couldn't believe Comcast hadn't even thought about the visually impaired people.( and you really don't need to be technally visually impaired to not beable to see this guide clearly) he told me that's Comcast for you. 

FYI-  Brandon is no longer listed as a Comcast Official Employee in these forums.

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information - (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers, the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing. Comcast Official Employees (OE) are identified with RED lettered User Names. Comcast Appointed Experts are identified with GREEN lettered User Names.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Most Valued Poster

Geek46, do you know why this font issue is marked SOLVED on the first page? Its certainly not solved by any stretch of the imagination and I would love to know who marked it that way.  I guess its been that way for a while but I just noticed it.   I am replying to you directly becvause  with the latest forum changes the place at the end to add comments is GONE. Sometimes we just want to offer something and its not a reply to anyone specific. This is not good. I will post that issue to the forum thread.

New Poster

FONT SIZE OF THE G U I D E is unreadable 40 inch Sony tv NOT HD Picture size set to S D

The TV Guide an not be read when the box is set to SD format for a 40" SONY TV none HD.

What can we do?

Run down in the basement 4 stories down so I can read the GUIDE on my HD TV there? only time its clear.

I have tried all the Picture resolutions on the 40" sony SD TV and none can be read.

Bad enough training my wife with the new remote and she can not read the guide.

How can you release and Brag about a X!  product that does not work with every type of  TV even when you offer SD formatting.

The TV GUIDE the most looked at thing on TV?

Expert

@TerriB wrote:

Geek46, do you know why this font issue is marked SOLVED on the first page? Its certainly not solved by any stretch of the imagination and I would love to know who marked it that way.  I guess its been that way for a while but I just noticed it.   I am replying to you directly becvause  with the latest forum changes the place at the end to add comments is GONE. Sometimes we just want to offer something and its not a reply to anyone specific. This is not good. I will post that issue to the forum thread.

The original Post was made on 2-18-2014 by "Dmcj".  This was back when X1 had 2 types of Guides.  ComcastAndrew answered the OP that only 1 Guide is now available and so "Dmcj" marked it as Solved.  All easily traced by reviewing the 1st page of the Thread.  I saw your post in the Xfinity.com Forum.

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information - (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers, the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing. Comcast Official Employees (OE) are identified with RED lettered User Names. Comcast Appointed Experts are identified with GREEN lettered User Names.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

I gave up.  Took my X1 gear back to the local comcast office.  Back to using my old gear with my nice size fonts in the guide.  What a shame.  This is a problem that has been complained about for years.  And, apparently deaf ears.  Even on my 50" HD Smart TV - X1 was just too small too comfortably read at more than about 5 feet.

Silver Problem Solver

@jhevener wrote:

I gave up.  Took my X1 gear back to the local comcast office.  Back to using my old gear with my nice size fonts in the guide.  What a shame.  This is a problem that has been complained about for years.  And, apparently deaf ears.  Even on my 50" HD Smart TV - X1 was just too small too comfortably read at more than about 5 feet.

If it is any consolation, I thnk you did the right thing.  X1 is not compatible with ALL equipment.

Most Valued Poster

@jhevener wrote:

====

What did they have to say when you gave your reason for returning the equipment? You have the kind/size tv that should be perfect for X1. I don't know why RobertWy thinks your equipment may not be compatible. If yours isn't then no one's should be.

Silver Problem Solver

@TerriB wrote:

@jhevener wrote:

====

What did they have to say when you gave your reason for returning the equipment? You have the kind/size tv that should be perfect for X1. I don't know why RobertWy thinks your equipment may not be compatible. If yours isn't then no one's should be.

Except that the majority ot TV's ARE compatible.  We just can't pinpoint the reason why a small percentage of TV's aren't.  But, bottom line, if someone can't see the Guide well enough, then they should find alternatives.  TiVo is not an alternative for some, but it is for others, as an example.

Most Valued Poster

@RobertWy wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@jhevener wrote:

====

Except that the majority ot TV's ARE compatible.  We just can't pinpoint the reason why a small percentage of TV's aren't.  But, bottom line, if someone can't see the Guide well enough, then they should find alternatives.   

====

Thats my point Robert.....the majority of TVs are compatible so WHY are so many people not able to read the font? Lets not get into who has what brand,etc. Its a widespread issue as you know. I am not sure I will ever get to the point of reverting back to non X1 because of it. We just don't bother to walk up to read the program info anymore.

Frequent Visitor

I have 4 TV's none of which seem to be compatable with X1.  Does that mean we should all return our equipment?

Silver Problem Solver

It might be an option.  I am not going to say any more than that.  It is your decision.

Most Valued Poster

@mlubera wrote:

I have 4 TV's none of which seem to be compatable with X1.  Does that mean we should all return our equipment?

========

PREACH!

New Poster

Re: Just switched to X1 can't read the menu, terrible!!!

Posters have asked for an image.  This is how bad our program guide is.

image.jpeg
Most Valued Poster

Rob, many of us feel your pain 200% but Comcast has not engaged us about this issue and its been on the forums for a very long time.

New Poster

In response to the poster who commented the issue is marked "solved", I think it is because there is no solution.

See the attached screen shot from xfinity's "help" page...

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-font-size-of-the-on-screen-guide

image.jpeg
Silver Problem Solver

@RobW15 wrote:

Thank you very much for showing us what your are seeing.  I completely agree that is unacceptible. 

Why yours is so much different than the majority of the X1 users can only be answered by some Comcast person who know the workings of the X1 system.

Sharing your pictures may be what the Comcast Moderators can use to alert them to your issue.

FYI, some X1 users have found out they cannot use a computer terminal as a display device for X1.  I am not saying that is what is causing your issue.

Thanks again.

Frequent Visitor

Rob -

Is your TV an older standard definition TV?  I have an older standard definition TV connected to my RNG150 X1 cable box and my guide looked just like that until I changed the resolution output to 480p.  

There are still some screens with smaller fonts that are hard to read, but changing the resolution made a huge difference.

If you go to Settings --> Video Display --> Video Output Resolution, what option is currently selected?

Most Valued Poster

RobertWy, We had Comcast Brandon very interested in our issue and he gathered screen shots and account and TV particulars from a bunch of us and wrote up something he was going to 'go to bat' for us with but nothing came of it obviously and he is no longer a Comcast rep. He was the only one to take up our cause and its been a long time ago.

Expert

@RobW15 wrote:

ok that TV screen is either defective or not set up (yet). you need to use the remote and adjust brightness and contrast. If you have access to netflix they have a test pattern you can use to properly set up both.

edit: ok is it an LED wide screen monitor with 1080 set?

Frequent Visitor

While I agree with you and think it looks fine as it is, I do believe that there should be more accessibility settings for Comcast customers that have issues seeing a skinny white font on a black background.

I have Google this issue and found no settings that can be changed to resolve this issue.
Most Valued Poster

I am 95% confident there is little that can be done with TV  settings to help with the X1 guide 'readabiltiy' issue . Well meaning posters who do NOT have the font problem are trying to advise but nothing has worked for anyone so far. The ONLY solution is the ability to change the contrast and font size and Comcast does not seem willing to even address it.

New Poster

Re: Font too small on the X1 Guide Channel

I totaly agree .mi just got my old settop replaced with the new X1 one .nfonts are too small and tried wcbunch of eettings trying to increwse font size with no luck. The guid also doesnt have color codding like the old one had which nhighlighted movies and sporting events. I miss those features.so far im not a fan of X1 its miseing some basic usibility features and is not as intuitive as asvertised..
Most Valued Poster

@Sideflicker wrote:
I totaly agree .mi just got my old settop replaced with the new X1 one .nfonts are too small and tried wcbunch of eettings trying to increwse font size with no luck. The guid also doesnt have color codding like the old one had which nhighlighted movies and sporting events. I miss those features.so far im not a fan of X1 its miseing some basic usibility features and is not as intuitive as asvertised..

Font options are pretty basic needs. Not like they have to re-invent the wheel to do it since X1 had the option in its first year...grrrr.

Official Employee

@RobW15 wrote:

RobW, can you tell me the make and model of your TV where you see that Guide?

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Is there any dates that can be provided as to when we will have the option to change the font, and the background colors on the guide?   It's hard to say "let's move on" when absolutely nothing has been said.   

New Poster

Please add another to your list of font complaints.  I sure hope you guys can address this really soon.   We do have a large flat screen and we are watching it the proper distance away.   It's really bad.   Hurry please!

Frequent Visitor

To ComcastSarah.

The problem is not with the size or resolutions of our TV's. Most of us have the same TV's that we

had before upgrading to the X1 box. With the old box the guide was very easy to read, very hard

with the X1 box. The X1 box IS THE PROBLEM. Please talk with your supervision to address this

problem. I may downgrade to go back to my old box if this issue is not resolved.

Expert

@pnkcraven wrote:

Please add another to your list of font complaints.  I sure hope you guys can address this really soon.   We do have a large flat screen and we are watching it the proper distance away.   It's really bad.   Hurry please!

on your device settings screen, what is the resolution you have selected? (like 720? or 1080?)

Official Employee

@jldi wrote:

To ComcastSarah.

The problem is not with the size or resolutions of our TV's. Most of us have the same TV's that we

had before upgrading to the X1 box. With the old box the guide was very easy to read, very hard

with the X1 box. The X1 box IS THE PROBLEM. Please talk with your supervision to address this

problem. I may downgrade to go back to my old box if this issue is not resolved.

I understand. But if those experiencing the issue can send their make, model of TV, resolution, etc., it would be helpful. The screenshot that was posted looks incredibly distorted, and this is not how it looks on any of my TVs on X1 in my house, or in the office. As much information as possible is very much appreciated. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I have Sharp Aquos 30" HDTV

Gold Problem Solver

I have avoided commenting on this issue for a variety of reasons. HOWEVER, this is CLEARLY a TV setting or TV health issue. Something is gravely wrong with this TV set.

From the pictures you posted, it appears this is a 4/3 TV set which would suggest it is also an SD TV set. Regardless of that, there is something not working properly with this TV set or it's settings. Would you please post the exact model number of this TV set???

It almost looks like a DLP TV with a defective color wheel...

What type of connection are you using? Are you using any video adapters or converters?

@RobW15 wrote:

Problem Solver

It looks to me like an SD TV, with the X1 set to an HD resolution.
Most Valued Poster

Comcast Sarah,

Last year Comcast Brandon gathered account info, tv set data and screen shots from a whole bunch of us to build a case to get help for the font/contrast issue.He seems genuinely eager to get us some attention. Nothing came of it and he is not longer a Comcast rep.  Maybe he pushed too hardand took a hit for it?  This problem has been going on ever since the font options were removed from  X1 General settings in 2014 with no explanation. It boggles my mind that its like we are asking for the re-invention of the wheel when all we want is to be able to adjust the size and contrast of the text so we can READ the guide and program info without putting our nose on the screen.  Its a ridiculous situatio we find ourselves in. Those with hearing problems have so many options to change the font/contrast in Closed Caption settings which will NEVER make sense to me.

As for the pushback about type of TV sets......READ the complaints and you will see that 99% come from those with large HD sets so its NOT about the darn monitor type nor the distance from the tv nor the tv settings for contrast/resolution. JEEZ.......so weary of the same old pushback that is non productive and  usually from those who DO NOT have the readability issue so what the heck do they know about  what we see anyway?

Lastly,   Screen shots do NOT depict reality of what we see in person and should not be used to diagnose. There is no way to get a photo of what is really going on.

Frequent Visitor

I agree not being able to read the guide has nothing to do TV..It's the X1 Need to be able to make font bigger..Differnt color would be good too..

New Poster

WHY has Comcast made it impossible to adjust the type size on the Guide screen? Did you do NO RESEARCH at all on visibility? Those little white letters on a jet black background are very frustrating. It seems disrespectful to your audience to make such limited visibility on your Guide screen, since everybody has to use it all the time. And the fact that nobody picked up on this in the R&D phase shows a real hole in your management expertise. I would like to see fewer propaganda letters from your V.P. and more actual results with your audience in mind.

New Poster

We have a 32" set at the foot of the bed and it is an HD screen. The font is too small. For someone to post that they personally have no problem with it does not address the fact that so many Comcast customers are having a hard time over it. Look at all the online entries on this issue. THIS IS YOUR CUSTOMER BASE. Dismissing a widespread concern like this is arrogant, regardless of what you personally can or cannot see on the screen.

Expert

@Anthony68 wrote:

We have a 32" set at the foot of the bed and it is an HD screen. The font is too small. For someone to post that they personally have no problem with it does not address the fact that so many Comcast customers are having a hard time over it. Look at all the online entries on this issue. THIS IS YOUR CUSTOMER BASE. Dismissing a widespread concern like this is arrogant, regardless of what you personally can or cannot see on the screen.

you can not change the font size background etc on the guide.

Most Valued Poster

@Rustyben wrote:

@Anthony68 wrote:

you can not change the font size background etc on the guide.

Rustyben...I am sure that those new to this forum have read about the history of this issue and  are well aware we can't change the font/contrast but that does not mean anyone should stop pushing back on Comcast about it and trying to get them to listen and react. I am glad to see more and more new people coming on here to voice their opinions.

Regular Contributor

I know that this is a frustrating problem, and I'm not saying that anyone that has it isn't entitled to some sort of remedy, but Comcast has millions of subscribers and this thread has 695 posts.  Even if every post was a different person, and even if you multiply that by 100, it's still a small minority having the problem.  If Comcast can't duplicate it in R&D, they can't understand how to fix it.  This is just one more log on the fire that proves that the X1 platform is far (really, really far) from state of the art.  Maybe in another few years, but I wouldn't hold out hope.

Most Valued Poster

@CoreyD wrote:

I know that this is a frustrating problem, and I'm not saying that anyone that has it isn't entitled to some sort of remedy, but Comcast has millions of subscribers and this thread has 695 posts.  Even if every post was a different person, and even if you multiply that by 100, it's still a small minority having the problem.  If Comcast can't duplicate it in R&D, they can't understand how to fix it.  This is just one more log on the fire that proves that the X1 platform is far (really, really far) from state of the art.  Maybe in another few years, but I wouldn't hold out hope.

Corey... I would bet that those with the font/contrast problem are in the tens of thousands. How many customers actually use these forums to voice their issues? There are only 5300 TOTAL forum members and the topics are all over the map so the numbers that report on the font/contrast are a small minority of the users. How many call cust svc instead and techs are sent only to say there is nothing they can do about it.  How many have been promised Tier 2 or 3 escalation on tickets submitted and never heard about them again? I have used all the communication methods at my disposal and its  a bottomless pit.  Many escalate all the way up the food chain (I have done it myself) but nothing comes of it.

R&D does not need to come up with a fix....the font options were in place for X1 under general settings until they removed it in 2014 but they kept the font/contrast options for those who can't HEAR. HUH? CNET even had  X1 screen shots and instructions to change font options.

Regular Contributor

@TerriB wrote:

@CoreyD wrote:

Corey... I would bet that those with the font/contrast problem are in the tens of thousands. How many customers actually use these forums to voice their issues? There are only 5300 TOTAL forum members and the topics are all over the map so the numbers that report on the font/contrast are a small minority of the users. How many call cust svc instead and techs are sent only to say there is nothing they can do about it.  How many have been promised Tier 2 or 3 escalation on tickets submitted and never heard about them again? I have used all the communication methods at my disposal and its  a bottomless pit.  Many escalate all the way up the food chain (I have done it myself) but nothing comes of it.

R&D does not need to come up with a fix....the font options were in place for X1 under general settings until they removed it in 2014 but they kept the font/contrast options for those who can't HEAR. HUH? CNET even had  X1 screen shots and instructions to change font options.

If you believe that this is a widespread problem that Comcast is ignoring, then maybe a class action lawsuit is in order.  This issue has persisted through many updates to the equipment, so it's apparent that Comcast is not concerned with addressing the issue.  And ranting in this forum, while it relieves stress, is not getting anything accomplished.

If you do the math in my post you see that I agree that tens of thousands could have this problem.  Still a small percentage of the 22+ million customers that they have.

Most Valued Poster

@CoreyD wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@CoreyD wrote:

If you believe that this is a widespread problem that Comcast is ignoring, then maybe a class action lawsuit is in order.  This issue has persisted through many updates to the equipment, so it's apparent that Comcast is not concerned with addressing the issue.  And ranting in this forum, while it relieves stress, is not getting anything accomplished.

If you do the math in my post you see that I agree that tens of thousands could have this problem.  Still a small percentage of the 22+ million customers that they have.

--------------------------

No sir it is not ranting. We have geniune issues with not being able to read the guide and program info which is the basis of using X1 for heaven's sake. We have to raise our voices or what is a forum for? Its not for 'oh gee golly wow all is well in X1 land'. Having the  ability to use a cable programming guide is a basic 'right' of all cable subscribers. If you think that is a rant then so be it. I don't care what the % is of the customer base. They keep adding bells and whistles and fluff for very small microcosms of the user base but can't help us READ.  Feature upgrades and new stuff for kids and latino users seem to be all they care about. I want every user to have a good experience AND all users should be able to read the darn thing regardless of the language they are seeing. My goodness!

Expert
Moved: