Community Forum

Font too small on the X1 Guide Channel

Contributor

Re: Too small guide letters and black background on guide.

Hi

if you know so much about this forum would you please use your skills to get a response from the Comcast management on the subject.

we need a response one way or another.

I'm coming up on one year with the X1 and I'll be going back to Fios soon if I don't see a reason to stay with Comcast.

tks

Contributor

Re: Just switched to X1 can't read the menu, terrible!!!

Hi TerriB, the font is not just poor contrast but it appears that the brightness of each letter varies not only form the one next to it but within the actual letter itself.

I wonder if it is partly caused by have the program playing in the background. I reduced the background program to the lowest brightness ( so that it's almost invisible) but I think it is effecting the letters in the text.

Tks

Regular Contributor

Re: Font too small on the X1 Guide Channel

@TerriB wrote:

@Tilly11 wrote:

I think it's the black background 

Yep its the white on black that is the biggest culprit BUT larger text would sure help

I'm sure someone probably said it already (I'm not going to read through dozens of pages to see), but if the white on black is the root of the problem, has anyone tried adjusting the background?  I can't remember exactly what they call the setting, but it's the one that allows what's showing on TV to be seen through the guide (and anything else that's on top of the picture).  A slight adjustment will make the black a little gray and that may help.

Most Valued Poster

@CoreyD wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@Tilly11 wrote:

I think it's the black background 

Yep its the white on black that is the biggest culprit BUT larger text would sure help

I'm sure someone probably said it already (I'm not going to read through dozens of pages to see), but if the white on black is the root of the problem, has anyone tried adjusting the background?  I can't remember exactly what they call the setting, but it's the one that allows what's showing on TV to be seen through the guide (and anything else that's on top of the picture).  A slight adjustment will make the black a little gray and that may help.

I have adjusted the background to every one they have and I am not the only one who has tried them. Does not help

Most Valued Poster

@Warren505 wrote:

Hi

if you know so much about this forum would you please use your skills to get a response from the Comcast management on the subject.

we need a response one way or another.

I'm coming up on one year with the X1 and I'll be going back to Fios soon if I don't see a reason to stay with Comcast.

tks

Who are you addressing??

Silver Problem Solver

IMG_1513.JPG

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Silver Problem Solver

That is a better example of what mine looks like.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Contributor

Sorry the reply function was not working

i was trying to send the message to RickGr4 who

comented on tilly11. As follows:

Yes, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. So am I.

Before you make a comment like this, please read more about what I have posted on this issue.

FYI, I know VASTLY more about this issue than just about anyone posting in this forum including you. Rule #1 of speaking in public is you need to know your audience. I do.

Also, I will "move on" when I choose to but not when an uninformed forum newbie tries to tell me I should...

Tilly11 wrote:
RickGr4
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Maybe you can see your TV but for the people who can't see it, doesn't mean they are wrong.. Maybe just move on if topic doesn't concern you

Contributor

Why does the reply function not put posts in right order?

warren505

Most Valued Poster

Re: Just switched to X1 can't read the menu, terrible!!!

@Warren505 wrote:

Hi TerriB, the font is not just poor contrast but it appears that the brightness of each letter varies not only form the one next to it but within the actual letter itself.

I wonder if it is partly caused by have the program playing in the background. I reduced the background program to the lowest brightness ( so that it's almost invisible) but I think it is effecting the letters in the text.

Tks

Warren, I have had my screen look as many ways as possible and nothing makes the font easy to read.

Most Valued Poster

@Warren505 wrote:

Sorry the reply function was not working

i was trying to send the message to RickGr4 who

comented on tilly11. As follows:

Yes, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. So am I.

Before you make a comment like this, please read more about what I have posted on this issue.

FYI, I know VASTLY more about this issue than just about anyone posting in this forum including you. Rule #1 of speaking in public is you need to know your audience. I do.

Also, I will "move on" when I choose to but not when an uninformed forum newbie tries to tell me I should...

@Tilly11 wrote:
RickGr4
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Maybe you can see your TV but for the people who can't see it, doesn't mean they are wrong.. Maybe just move on if topic doesn't concern you

Thanks

Most Valued Poster

@RobertWy wrote:

IMG_1513.JPG

NOW THATS what I would like to see..crisp and clear and readable. The first one you posted was a mirror image of what we see here.

New Poster

Yes, that is what I, too, would like to see.  How did you have to manipulate the image?  There is NO way the guide and program information on any of my TVs is this legible!

Frequent Visitor

Please make it FULL screen

Contributor

And how would I do that?

there is no such function for the TV screen unless you mean the. Aspect ratio options

New Poster

X1 guide font to small

I see that there has been issues with this for couple of years and nothing solved. I just got x1 boxes last week, guide is black with white letters and has ridiculously small font. I have had a headache since the first day I got the boxes. With all the complaints, do they have any desire to change this? I would hate to go back to my old boxes for this reason.

Most Valued Poster

@dzthornton wrote:

Yes, that is what I, too, would like to see.  How did you have to manipulate the image?  There is NO way the guide and program information on any of my TVs is this legible!

Ditto...no way I have ever seen it look like this

Most Valued Poster

Re: X1 guide font to small

@TL333 wrote:

I see that there has been issues with this for couple of years and nothing solved. I just got x1 boxes last week, guide is black with white letters and has ridiculously small font. I have had a headache since the first day I got the boxes. With all the complaints, do they have any desire to change this? I would hate to go back to my old boxes for this reason.

Not only don't they have a desire to change this - they don't even seem to recognize that we have the problem. One Comcast rep was working on a 'case' a year or so ago to submit the specific input we gave him but he doesn't seem to be around anymore and we heard nothing. Keep in mind that in the first year of X1 there were options to change font and contrast. No explanation when they removed the options from the general settings.

Most Valued Poster

@safety1 wrote:

Please make it FULL screen

Can you clarify what you mean please. Make 'what' full screen?

Expert

@Warren505 wrote:

warren505

The REPLY function places a message according to the timestamp....  To reply to a person, use the QUOTE function so that your post addresses who you are replying to.  

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information - (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers, the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing.  Please ensure your post is in the correct Forum to begin with.   Please do not send me Private Messages for personal help but instead use the Forums to allow everyone to read and offer comments to assist you. 
******* Comcast Official Employees (OE) are identified with
RED lettered User Names. *******

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

@geek46 wrote:

@Warren505 wrote:

warren505

The REPLY function places a message according to the timestamp....  To reply to a person, use the QUOTE function so that your post addresses who you are replying to.  

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information - (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers, the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing.  Please ensure your post is in the correct Forum to begin with.   Please do not send me Private Messages for personal help but instead use the Forums to allow everyone to read and offer comments to assist you. 
******* Comcast Official Employees (OE) are identified with
RED lettered User Names. *******

Thank you that helps,

for anybody else the 'quote' button does not show up until you hit reply 

Silver Problem Solver

Maybe the problem is that some TV's don't have a way to increase contrast to make the Guide more legible.

All of my TV's are LED and they have very good contrast.

And others here with plasmas also don't have what might be a "contrast issue".

Most Valued Poster

@RobertWy wrote:

Maybe the problem is that some TV's don't have a way to increase contrast to make the Guide more legible.

All of my TV's are LED and they have very good contrast.

And others here with plasmas also don't have what might be a "contrast issue".

Our led tvs have excellent contrast and they do have a way to change the contrast but the only contrast issue we have is the X1 guide/info and fiddling with the tv contrast will not fix that.

Problem Solver

LED TVs tend to dim the screen by default when there is a lot of black. Yours is probably doing this. There are settings to disable this but they aren't always called the same thing.
Most Valued Poster

@scjohnson312 wrote:
LED TVs tend to dim the screen by default when there is a lot of black. Yours is probably doing this. There are settings to disable this but they aren't always called the same thing.

I am not sure to whom you were replying. We don't see the dimming you speak of but dimming is NOT the issue with X1 font/contrast. Its an X1 issue  ......plain and simple.

Silver Problem Solver

With  all due respect,

Have you checked your TV to see if it has some kind of dimming feature?  Maybe it is an automatic feature and there is no way to control it with any of the TV settings.

Most Valued Poster

@RobertWy wrote:

With  all due respect,

Have you checked your TV to see if it has some kind of dimming feature?  Maybe it is an automatic feature and there is no way to control it with any of the TV settings.

With even more due respect it doesn't matter whether the tv has the dimming feature because its not the reason we can't read X1 guide/program info. We can read all small text on the tv other than X1 guide/info

New Poster

TV guide size

I just installed the new X boxes and the guide screen is very hard to read. Can the font size be enlarged to see better?

Silver Problem Solver

OK, here is an untouched picture of my main TV from about 8 feet away.

IMG_1974 (1).JPG

Frequent Visitor

Doesn't look all that  good even on that larger-than-life set...

Most Valued Poster

Re: TV guide size

@cookiewookie wrote:

I just installed the new X boxes and the guide screen is very hard to read. Can the font size be enlarged to see better?

Welcome to the world of the hard to read font! This forum has more than a dozen pages of complaints and Comcast has not addressed the issue.

Most Valued Poster

@RobertWy wrote:

OK, here is an untouched picture of my main TV from about 8 feet away.

IMG_1974 (1).JPG

Its fuzzy to me even on that huge screen.  Doesn't matter but that must be an old shot - that football game that shows recording was in early October

Problem Solver

@TerriB wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

With  all due respect,

With even more due respect it doesn't matter whether the tv has the dimming feature because its not the reason we can't read X1 guide/program info. We can read all small text on the tv other than X1 guide/info

Honestly, this sounds even more like the TV then.. The guide is much darker than the other menus, which would trigger this behavior. It is probably called Dynamic Contrast or something similar if you couldn't find the setting.

Expert

looks pretty sharp to me (I mean not fuzzy). good contrast set up.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Silver Problem Solver

@Rustyben wrote:

The "fuzziness" comes from the iPhone camera.  I was trying to show how much contrast all my TV's have.

It's not that fuzzy in person.

Most Valued Poster

@scjohnson312 wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

With  all due respect,

Honestly, this sounds even more like the TV then.. The guide is much darker than the other menus, which would trigger this behavior. It is probably called Dynamic Contrast or something similar if you couldn't find the setting.

I really appreciate your coaching but its not a dimming issue. We can't read it on any of the 3 TVs....too small and the white on black is just awful contrast.  The only TV I can read pretty well on is the 23" in the kitchen but only because we are always close to the screen. It is well established that legions of users cannot read the guide and more new users are adding their voice every day.  Perhaps others will see your dimming advice and try it

Regular Contributor

Is it possible that the issue is only with certain models?  With all the different DVR, non DVR, and companion box models, it could be that only cetain models have this problem.  I have a Pace v3 DVR on and old Panasonic 720P projector, and 2 Xi3s on low end LED TVs, and on all three screens the guide info is perfectly clear.

Most Valued Poster

@CoreyD wrote:

Is it possible that the issue is only with certain models?  With all the different DVR, non DVR, and companion box models, it could be that only cetain models have this problem.  I have a Pace v3 DVR on and old Panasonic 720P projector, and 2 Xi3s on low end LED TVs, and on all three screens the guide info is perfectly clear.

Good point. Not sure we who have the font problem have shared what box we have. I have Arris X1 box and no fancy smancy tvs. Two 23" and one 42".

What are you using a projector for? I used to use Panasonic projectors at work but never heard of this as part of  cable system but then again I am not an expert by any means. Just an average X1 user household who watches a lot of TV (retired) and we use the DVR a lot!

New Poster

@RobertWy wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

The "fuzziness" comes from the iPhone camera.  I was trying to show how much contrast all my TV's have.

Thus my previous point that any picture of my TV screens showing the actual illegible guide & program descriptions would be blamed on the camera by our Comcast apologists.

Most Valued Poster

@dzthornton wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

Thus my previous point that any picture of my TV screens showing the actual illegible guide & program descriptions would be blamed on the camera by our Comcast apologists.

Yep tis true....many want screen shots but then they are not 'acceptable' by those who do not have the readability issue.  I will stand my ground that those who can read just fine need to stop nay-saying and challenging those who cannot read regardless of eyesight/type and size of tv/distance from tv,etc. If we can't read it...WE CAN'T READ IT.  It has become very clear that Comcast does not intend to give us back the options to change the font and contrast unless we are deaf since they have given the deaf lots of CC options.  Its a visual accessibility issue and discriminatory.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I just wanted to add my voice to the chorus complaining about the small, distressed-looking font of the program guide on the X1 box. I upgraded to the X1 box two days ago and while I love many of the X1 features, the font problem is really unpleasant.

Earlier tonight, the X1 box died after only 2 days of use so I went back to the old non-X1 box that I hadn't returned yet. The old program guide is so much easier to read, so I'm going to stick with this old box, even though it means giving up all of X1's bells and whistles.

UPDATE: While at the Xfinity store today, I asked them to display the X1 program guide on one of their TVs. It looked terrific -- so much better than it had looked on mine. I have a flat screen HD TV, so I'm not sure what the problem is. But obviously, many other people are having it as well. I have no problems with text legibility on any of the streaming boxes I use (Roku, etc).

Frequent Visitor

The font is unreadable unless up close.  Too small and not bold enough.  Otherwise I think I like X1 .  On Demand takes a little getting used to.

New Poster

How old are you?  I am 46.  I have a HD 40" TV - and the font is too small for me to comfortably read.  At 3ft, I can read it.  At 10ft - if I try hard and long enough, I generally make it all out.

I think it is inexcusable after all this time there are so very little options regarding user viewing comfort.  I've only had X1 less than a week, and I am ready to switch back.  I like X1 - but it is not worth the aggravation.  I get just as many features and better fonts with my Samsung DVD player.

There needs to be color, size, font, and other options.  It is just a common request that most people are asking for.  Have been asking for apparently since X1 came out.

This conversation is not getting old, sadly the people paying for the service are - and that includes me.

Frequent Visitor

I have four different TV's different sizes and brands.  It's better and worse on some, not good on any.  The older version of the guide was fine on all.  Go back to that/

Most Valued Poster

@jhevener wrote:

How old are you?  I am 46.  I have a HD 40" TV - and the font is too small for me to comfortably read.  At 3ft, I can read it.  At 10ft - if I try hard and long enough, I generally make it all out.

I think it is inexcusable after all this time there are so very little options regarding user viewing comfort.  I've only had X1 less than a week, and I am ready to switch back.  I like X1 - but it is not worth the aggravation.  I get just as many features and better fonts with my Samsung DVD player.

There needs to be color, size, font, and other options.  It is just a common request that most people are asking for.  Have been asking for apparently since X1 came out.

This conversation is not getting old, sadly the people paying for the service are - and that includes me.

PREACH! It is truly a sad state of affairs that we can't get options to perform a basic task...ABILITY TO READ.  As long as the money keeps coming in they turn a deaf ear. The distressing thing is that the options were there in the early days of X1 and they have offered absolutely no explanation or comments on the issue.

New Poster

Display size of guide screen

the font on the guide screen is too small to read. Can I increase the size of the font? or increase the overall size?

Expert

Re: Display size of guide screen

@caviston wrote:

the font on the guide screen is too small to read. Can I increase the size of the font? or increase the overall size?

Unfortunately there is no adjustment that can be made to the Guide's size or font and you are not the first to report this....

Take a look at this Thread in the X1 forum:  http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/Font-too-small-on-the-X1-Guide-Channel/m-p/2043527#U2043527

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information - (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers, the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing.  Please ensure your post is in the correct Forum to begin with.   Please do not send me Private Messages for personal help but instead use the Forums to allow everyone to read and offer comments to assist you.  Comcast Official Employees (OE) are identified with RED lettered User Names. Comcast Appointed Experts are identified with GREEN lettered User Names.

New Poster

Font Size on Guide

Can the font size of the guide be changed? Or can you change the amount of listings on the guide to better read choices?

it is too small to read on my 2 smaller tvs.  HELP

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Font Size on Guide

The font size can't be changed.  I wonder if you could exchage your X1 box for a Comcast legacy box, which works better with small TV's.

Ask for equipment upgrades, I think.

1-877-896-8678

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Display size of guide screen

There is no option to change the Guide.

Is your X1 box set for the correct setting for your TV?

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-video-display/

All my TV's support 1080p60z but the default is 720p so I had to change the setting.