Community Forum

Font too small on the X1 Guide Channel

Frequent Visitor

Re: Just switched to X1 can't read the menu, terrible!!!

I ended up setting it to 480.  I did loose the apps but it did make it easier to read the guide.  

Most Valued Poster

@John3758 wrote:
dzthornton if all you're going to do is argue semantics then there's no point in even replying as you are not contributing or accomplishing anything. If anything I would say you're just trying to agitate others with posts like that.
TerriB, ComcastBrandon apepars to no longer be an employee, however there does appear to be a ComcastBrandonM employee now. Not sure if it's the same person or not.

Perhaps ComcastBrandon pushed for the font issue and they pushed back and 'poof' he was gone. Too bad as he really wanted to help us. I doubt the BrandonM is the same person.

I think we need to move on from the screen shot discussion. I reluctantly stopped beating the dead font horse and yet here we are again. I don't wish to dig up the poor thing again. We have resigned ourselves to not being able to glean program episode info prior to watching. Its a shame but we are weary of walking over to the tv. The one thing we have not done is to use binocs from our chairs 8 feet from the TV. I am just one of so many who have the same issue but unfortunately with Comcast - numbers of unhappy users does get their attention.

Sorry John but you are the one agitating those of us who are already upset that we can't read the text and that is really unproductive. You don't have the font/contrast issue so perhaps its time  you find another subject in which to stir the pot.

Most Valued Poster

John3758 said: The font size is the same as most broadcasters use for their scrolls, so if you can read those, you will be able to see the guide. 

=========

John, Its not so much the SIZE of the text....its the stark white on black that makes it fuzzy and blurry. Actually the font broadcasters use is sometimes smaller than Comcast but the contrast is good so its readable.

Most Valued Poster

Re: Font too small on the X1 Guide Channel

@LucaBrocci wrote:

They need to fix this. Some people have poor eyesight and need to adjust the size of the font in the guide. If the first version had it... why take the option away?? The idea is to improve the platform not take options away. And just because someone here thinks it's fine...and puts down those who think different.....well that shows nothing except arrogance and self righteousness.

PREACH!

New Poster

@RobertWy wrote:

@dzthornton wrote:

NO!  You are not the only one offended.  If John used the proper terminology, he might get some picture of screens...if he weren't so angry.  And so convinced he is right.  I will even abmit he is right about his TVs.  Perhaps he should find another topic.  A screenshot from my computer monitor has nothing to do with the problem.

Computer monitor?  You don't mean you are using a computer monitor with the X1 box?

No, I am not using a computer monitor with the X1 box.  My point is that screenshots are of computer screens, not TVs. I believe John wants shots (photographs) of the Guide and Show Information screens on TVs where they are impossible to read if you are more than 4 feet away.

Expert

@dzthornton wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

@dzthornton wrote:

NO!  You are not the only one offended.  If John used the proper terminology, he might get some picture of screens...if he weren't so angry.  And so convinced he is right.  I will even abmit he is right about his TVs.  Perhaps he should find another topic.  A screenshot from my computer monitor has nothing to do with the problem.

Computer monitor?  You don't mean you are using a computer monitor with the X1 box?

No, I am not using a computer monitor with the X1 box.  My point is that screenshots are of computer screens, not TVs. I believe John wants shots (photographs) of the Guide and Show Information screens on TVs where they are impossible to read if you are more than 4 feet away.

In my opinion, a picture (shot) of a tv screen is indeed a screenshot. The origin might be from using screen 'print' function but it is the same thing, a simple photo of what is on the screen. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Most Valued Poster

@Rustyben wrote:

@dzthornton wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

@dzthornton wrote:

In my opinion, a picture (shot) of a tv screen is indeed a screenshot. The origin might be from using screen 'print' function but it is the same thing, a simple photo of what is on the screen. 

I have taken photos of my TV screen and they never come out that well and I do 'know' how to take good pictures ( saying that before John pipes in and says something about my capability). I used my phone, small digicam and my digital SLR with same results. They sure don't represent what we really see. The Comcast tech that came here many moons ago took one look and said "'whoa.....how do you read that?" I laughed, thanked him and  said "thats why you are here". I have posted many times that after he checked equipment, signal and rebooted,etc he apologized that he could do nothing and suggested I escalate.

Problem Solver

@TerriB wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@dzthornton wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

@dzthornton wrote:

I have taken photos of my TV screen and they never come out that well and I do 'know' how to take good pictures ( saying that before John pipes in and says something about my capability). I used my phone, small digicam and my digital SLR with same results. They sure don't represent what we really see. The Comcast tech that came here many moons ago took one look and said "'whoa.....how do you read that?" I laughed, thanked him and  said "thats why you are here". I have posted many times that after he checked equipment, signal and rebooted,etc he apologized that he could do nothing and suggested I escalate.

Terri, I know it sounds crazy, but have you tried the 720p setting instead of the 1080 setting? It makes mine much less fuzzy even on my 1080p TV.

Most Valued Poster

Terri, I know it sounds crazy, but have you tried the 720p setting instead of the 1080 setting? It makes mine much less fuzzy even on my 1080p TV.

Yep tried it and no help but thanks for the suggestion.

New Poster

Re: Too small guide letters and black background on guide.

Please excuse me and others who have poor vision, smaller than 40" TVs and large rooms.  The font IS too small.

Most Valued Poster

@Diverjim wrote:

Please excuse me and others who have poor vision, smaller than 40" TVs and large rooms.  The font IS too small.

There are many with huge TVs  and perfect vision who can't read the font either and have posted here and its happening all over the country.  Those who have no problem reading the font just don't GET IT and keep hammering on us that we need to prove it with screen shots or get a new box, bigger tv, sit closer, go to the eye doctor,etc . In my opinion they need to keep their comments to themselves.  No matter how many of us there are with various degrees of eyesight and equipment  and cannot read the font - we cannot get Comcast to even acknowledge our plight. We had a Comcast rep compiling data from us last year to escalate the problem but he does not seem to be with them any longer.    <SIGH>

New Poster

Just got the X1 installed yesterday.My wife and I are having trouble reading the guide also.

Most Valued Poster

@fgmudd40 wrote:

Just got the X1 installed yesterday.My wife and I are having trouble reading the guide also.

Ah yes..another unsatisfied user has joined our flock...welcome aboard

New Poster

The font is too small. My TV is big but the font is just too small to read from 20 feet away. I has to change, I really dislike it. 

New Poster

X1 guide font is way to small and not bold enough

The guide is way too small. I just got it and have 30 days to send it back. FIX THE GUIDE FONT! MAKE IT CONFIGURABLE OR YOU CAN HAVE YOUR EQUIPMENT BACK. WHAT USE IS A GUIDE YOU CANNOT SEE OR READ PLAINLY?

Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 guide font is way to small and not bold enough

Assuming you have the resolution of your X1 box set to best fit your TV, there is nothing else you can do about this.

Comcast has not announced any plans to change this so if you are struggling with the guide font size you probably should go back to legacy boxes. In fact, Comcast has been dead silent on this issue.

FYI, X1 may be new to you but it has now been around for well over two years. Comcast is well aware of your concerns. This forum is well aware of your concerns. This issue is far from new...

@BitCop wrote:

The guide is way too small. I just got it and have 30 days to send it back. FIX THE GUIDE FONT! MAKE IT CONFIGURABLE OR YOU CAN HAVE YOUR EQUIPMENT BACK. WHAT USE IS A GUIDE YOU CANNOT SEE OR READ PLAINLY?

Silver Problem Solver

Also, FYI, equipment is not covered in the 30 day thing as equipment can be changed out at any time.

Most Valued Poster

@RickGr4 wrote:

Assuming you have the resolution of your X1 box set to best fit your TV, there is nothing else you can do about this.

Comcast has not announced any plans to change this so if you are struggling with the guide font size you probably should go back to legacy boxes. In fact, Comcast has been dead silent on this issue.

FYI, X1 may be new to you but it has now been around for well over two years. Comcast is well aware of your concerns. This forum is well aware of your concerns. This issue is far from new...

@BitCop wrote:

Rick, Do you think legacy boxes will soon be a thing of the past since X1 is the standard now? Its still boggles my mind that they can't give us back the font/contrast options we had until sometime in 2014.  X1 was to improve our 'viewing' experience and chapter one page one would be being able to VIEW text....n'est pas? X1 has so many great features so this is truly a puzzlement.

Expert

the gray legacy boxes soon will no longer be 'comcast' HD compatible at all (move to different HD encoding and gray boxes can't decode).

the black ones (per other threads) apparently can decode the coming changes. 

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

I know this is off topic but, in addition to the font issue, our DVR has begun dropping recordings in no discernable order and for no discernable reason (disc is at most 70% full).  Most are not available On Demand. And none are available in the Recently Deleted area.

Is this Comcast's way of getting even with me for complaining about the lousy font?  Aaauuuggghh.

Regular Contributor

I used to think the same thing on our X1 DVR.  Over time, I narrowed it down to the following:

1) If I had a program on the record list, it may have not recorded  because the program guide was updated after it went on the record list to show it's a Repeat.  An example is the Carbonarro Effect 1/2 hour show that may have 3 scheduled recordings, but they are all repeats but not noted as repeats when I scheduled them. I set me record options to not record repeats.

2) The program did not record because it ran very late typically due to sports programs running over. The late afternoon Sunday NFL games are a good example. The network tried to catch up, but if the last show in the evening you are recording (say 10 p.m.) has not started, and it's nearing 11 p.m. or midnight, they will show the program at another time or just move the episodes forward on their regular schedule. .

3) In the middle of the night, your X1 system may be rebooted due to software updates. Your system shuts entirely down for a few minutes when this occurs. Do you record in the middle of the night.

4) On a rare occasion, I have seen an error message that says the DVR had a mechanical or systems problem and had to shut down and reboot.

I realize you have have a different problem, but these are things I have found. Good luck.

New Poster

My wife and I both feel the same as you- WAY TOO SMALL! We have to get up and stand in front of our tv in order to read it. I sure hope tech can address this issue

New Poster

I'm so glad you are happy with the font size, but I am not! And no, I won't move on. My tv is new, it's big, I've tried all settings, and the old guide was way more easily viewed from the exact same distence. I've even tried adjusting the black backround (although it helped slightly), it's still not good enough.

New Poster

I also commented on this topic. Can you please include in your report Brandon? Thank you.

New Poster

My tv is 56" and My couch sits 8' from it. The old guide was fine. The new guide, my wife and I both have to get up and stand closer in order to view it.

Silver Problem Solver

@mikoollowrentow wrote:

My tv is 56" and My couch sits 8' from it. The old guide was fine. The new guide, my wife and I both have to get up and stand closer in order to view it.

I assume you are using an HDMI cable?  Which X1 box do you have?

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-hub-vs-companion-box/

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Most Valued Poster

@mikoollowrentow wrote:

I also commented on this topic. Can you please include in your report Brandon? Thank you.

Apparently whatever ComcastBrandon was doing to get this issue taken care of has gone into the circular file. Seems he may not be a rep any longer. I doubt we ever get this option restored.

Most Valued Poster

@mikoollowrentow wrote:

I'm so glad you are happy with the font size, but I am not! And no, I won't move on. My tv is new, it's big, I've tried all settings, and the old guide was way more easily viewed from the exact same distence. I've even tried adjusting the black backround (although it helped slightly), it's still not good enough.

PREACH! Glad you are speaking out about NOT being happy. I am so weary of being told to get bigger better tv/ sit closer/ get glasses checked..blah blah blah. Those who are happy with the size and contrast of the font should just stay out of the conversation...period!! Its like they enjoy irritating us.

New Poster

Xfinity Guide font is difficult to read

Hi,

I've had my X1 box and service for a month, and just got my 85 year old mother upgraded as well. My mom has very good vision, but she and a few of her friends I visited with this past week all are finding the Guide text to be very hard to read.  I am a bit, too.  The font is very thin, and it makes it very hard to read unless you're very close to the screen.  As a comparison, my sister's DirectTV guide has a much thicker-lined font, the x-height is not nearly so tall, and it is much easier to read at a normal viewing range.  If this were fixed, it would be more legible for all X1 customers, but particularly for all the customers with mid-range and distance viewing challenges (which is probably a hefty percentage of the population).

Comcast, please modify the font and weight so that all your customers can enjoy your X1 service. 

New Poster

My in laws are having the same issues. 55" HD TV (brand new), with the couch and recliner about 10 feet from TV. They cannot read the guide.

Most Valued Poster

Re: Xfinity Guide font is difficult to read

@rgarfinkle wrote:

Hi,

I've had my X1 box and service for a month, and just got my 85 year old mother upgraded as well. My mom has very good vision, but she and a few of her friends I visited with this past week all are finding the Guide text to be very hard to read.  I am a bit, too.  The font is very thin, and it makes it very hard to read unless you're very close to the screen.  As a comparison, my sister's DirectTV guide has a much thicker-lined font, the x-height is not nearly so tall, and it is much easier to read at a normal viewing range.  If this were fixed, it would be more legible for all X1 customers, but particularly for all the customers with mid-range and distance viewing challenges (which is probably a hefty percentage of the population).

Comcast, please modify the font and weight so that all your customers can enjoy your X1 service. 

I am assuming you have read the volumes of postings on this subject over the past year or so. Comcast has not offered anything and has not really even commented . At the very least they should restore the font option that used to be under general settings until they removed it.

Silver Problem Solver

@sadiethompson wrote:

My in laws are having the same issues. 55" HD TV (brand new), with the couch and recliner about 10 feet from TV. They cannot read the guide.

I have five HD TV's three are 32", one is 42", and one is 60".  I have had the X1 system for almost three years.  I have poor eyesight and wear glasses.  My whole family has never complained about not reading the Guide on any TV.

It sounds like maybe the TV is not adjusted correctly?  Have they tried an antenna to see if the picture is clearer than their X1 box?

I assume they are using an HDMI cable to connect the X1 box to their TV?

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Most Valued Poster

RobertWy wrote:

sadiethompson wrote:

I have five HD TV's three are 32", one is 42", and one is 60".  I have had the X1 system for almost three years.  I have poor eyesight and wear glasses.  My whole family has never complained about not reading the Guide on any TV.

It sounds like maybe the TV is not adjusted correctly?  Have they tried an antenna to see if the picture is clearer than their X1 box?

I assume they are using an HDMI cable to connect the X1 box to their TV?

Robert,  Speaking of eyesight and reading.....did you really suggest an antenna  to compare with X1?   Reading the guide is a serious problem and that suggestion is just so not helpful and is ludicrous. On the planet I live on antennas are  for non cable channel tuning with digital converter box or before the digital conversion you could hook up directly to the RF input and switch the 'input' on the tv. The converter box is for those who have no cable or in our  case we use a DTV converter box during Comcast outages. The picture is clear once you get the channel tuned in (reminds me of tuning in the 1960s ) and there is  a simple guide but its sure not like the X1 guide and thats the one we can't read. Picture/font quality cannot be compared  between antenna  and X1. I don't know why I am even bothering to reply to such a silly suggestion but felt compelled.

Frequent Visitor

New to the X1 "experience" (two weeks now), and both my husband and I are not at all happy with the Guide font size.......way too small too be legible from a normal viewing distance.

After perusing this forum (although not quite all 12 pages), I say shame on Comcast for continuing to ignore the needs of the many.  Mr. Spock would surely have not approved.

I see that TerriB has been championing this cause for over a year.  

What is it going to take to get Comcast to:  (1) Again acknowledge the issue;  (2) Correct the problem by allowing users to choose our own font sizes?????????

P.S.  Those of you who are satisfied with the font status quo?  Go away and watch your television.

Frequent Visitor

But you finally got the point of what I have been trying to say on this topic since day 1. Comcast may care about this issue but they have no plans to change it. I am just trying to let people down easy. You need to judge X1 on how it appears now, not how you hope or wish it could be.

I AM judging "X1 on how it appears now", and the guide font is quite unsatisfactory!

What is the point of these Comcast forums, if not to alert Comcast to a major issue (major, as in many people are of the same opinion in the forum)?  Yeah, I'm a "newbie" here, that's why I'm asking.

Most Valued Poster

@NIKIBRI wrote:

But you finally got the point of what I have been trying to say on this topic since day 1. Comcast may care about this issue but they have no plans to change it. I am just trying to let people down easy. You need to judge X1 on how it appears now, not how you hope or wish it could be.

I AM judging "X1 on how it appears now", and the guide font is quite unsatisfactory!

What is the point of these Comcast forums, if not to alert Comcast to a major issue (major, as in many people are of the same opinion in the forum)?  Yeah, I'm a "newbie" here, that's why I'm asking.

Thank you for your comments. We have been getting a lot of X1 newbies on this thread and its because of the font/contrast issue. Funny that they can't do anything about it since there was an option in general settings at one time and poof...they took it away. Its not the only useful tool they have taken away..slo mo/frame by frame/buffered recording. No amount of calls/tech visits/letters to the 'powers that be'/posting on the forums seems to do any good. X1 is a great product but they keep adding what many of us call fluff and they don't fix the most useful features they took from us. Its all about getting new customers who don't know what they  lost! Its so frustrating.

Expert
Moved:

New Poster

@walt_pittsburgh wrote:

I used to think the same thing on our X1 DVR.  Over time, I narrowed it down to the following:

1) If I had a program on the record list, it may have not recorded  because the program guide was updated after it went on the record list to show it's a Repeat.  An example is the Carbonarro Effect 1/2 hour show that may have 3 scheduled recordings, but they are all repeats but not noted as repeats when I scheduled them. I set me record options to not record repeats.

2) The program did not record because it ran very late typically due to sports programs running over. The late afternoon Sunday NFL games are a good example. The network tried to catch up, but if the last show in the evening you are recording (say 10 p.m.) has not started, and it's nearing 11 p.m. or midnight, they will show the program at another time or just move the episodes forward on their regular schedule. .

3) In the middle of the night, your X1 system may be rebooted due to software updates. Your system shuts entirely down for a few minutes when this occurs. Do you record in the middle of the night.

4) On a rare occasion, I have seen an error message that says the DVR had a mechanical or systems problem and had to shut down and reboot.

I realize you have have a different problem, but these are things I have found. Good luck.

Thank you for your suggestions.  We've never gotten any error messages.  Perhaps some of the recordings may have been interrupted by the reboot, but not the dozens that have disappeared.  And at one point they have been in the Saved folder (I've even started watching some) and then they just disappear.  I will now take this to another forum.

Frequent Visitor

I got on here to see about changing my font size or even color. The white on black plus the small font is a problem for me. Then if you're trying to find something to watch, while in bed, forget it! 

Hope a resolution is available soon! 

Frequent Visitor

RickGr4

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Maybe you  can see you TV but for the people who can't see it,  doesn't mean they are wrong.. Maybe just move on if topic doesn't concern you 

Frequent Visitor

Funny! I did change the color on the old box... Eggplant was my favorite    😊

Frequent Visitor

I think it's the black background 

Gold Problem Solver

Yes, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. So am I.

Before you make a comment like this, please read more about what I have posted on this issue.

FYI, I know VASTLY more about this issue than just about anyone posting in this forum including you. Rule #1 of speaking in public is you need to know your audience. I do.

Also, I will "move on" when I choose to but not when an uninformed forum newbie tries to tell me I should...

@Tilly11 wrote:

RickGr4

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Maybe you  can see you TV but for the people who can't see it,  doesn't mean they are wrong.. Maybe just move on if topic doesn't concern you 

Expert
Moved:

New Poster

Awful Program Guide

What dummy designed the TV program guide with the small type it's almost impossible to read, and with the blue characters for a selected program.  How about an interface design people can read and use?  I must leave my chair and get close to the TV (large flat-panel set) to read what's on the guide.  An update to the X1 box software must include user settings for font type, size and colors for various program types.  The old TV interface wasn't great but it was better that this unreadable mess.  If it weren't for another person here, I'd gladly ditch the Xfinity TV altogether.  Your human-interface designers should get fired for such poor work.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Awful Program Guide

Does your guide look like this?

X1 Guide: Main guide with a channel row selected.

Frequent Visitor

Yes mine looks like that. Crappy isn't it?

Silver Problem Solver

I have 5 X1 TV's - 3 32", 1 42" and 1 60".

They all look just fine to all the members of my family.  None of them has ever complained about the Guide.

Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

@RobertWy wrote:

Does your guide look like this?

X1 Guide: Main guide with a channel row selected.

Robert...yippee for those who needed to see a shot of this but you are saying your family CAN READ this with no problem....wow. I have been saying its the 'stark' whie on black but mine looks like this shot so I should not have said 'stark'.

Most Valued Poster

@Tilly11 wrote:

I think it's the black background 

Yep its the white on black that is the biggest culprit BUT larger text would sure help