Community Forum

Font too small on the X1 Guide Channel

Expert

Re: Too small guide letters and black background on guide.

@TerriB wrote:

My tv screen looks like the one just posted.  Blurry unless I am a foot from the screen. I take exception that some think I am not willing to post a screen shot of my TV. I just don't see the need. Some of us have done this in the past and nothing has been done regardless of whether  it could be a technical issue or not. No one at Comcast has offered to assist us with the font/contrast issue no matter how many complain. We just want options to change font/contrast . The option used to be under general settings but was removed in 2014.  Those who report  are from all over so I am pretty sure its not technical.

hi, can you go to apps, weather, select extended forecast. all readible there including wind and humidity etc?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Most Valued Poster

@Rustyben wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

My tv screen looks like the one just posted.  Blurry unless I am a foot from the screen. I take exception that some think I am not willing to post a screen shot of my TV. I just don't see the need. Some of us have done this in the past and nothing has been done regardless of whether  it could be a technical issue or not. No one at Comcast has offered to assist us with the font/contrast issue no matter how many complain. We just want options to change font/contrast . The option used to be under general settings but was removed in 2014.  Those who report  are from all over so I am pretty sure its not technical.

hi, can you go to apps, weather, select extended forecast. all readible there including wind and humidity etc?

Yes we can get to and read all that just fine. Even the guide itself is not that bad but the program information even when pressed second time to get the whole pop up window is blurry and the white font blares out at us! If I could tone down the font contrast or change the color of the font and the pop up window background it would be fine. Would love a larger font but just not having the white blare out at us would work. Not looking for magic, just readability. And yes we have tried all the different backgrounds and brightness.

Expert

@TerriB wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

Yes we can get to and read all that just fine. Even the guide itself is not that bad but the program information even when pressed second time to get the whole pop up window is blurry and the white font blares out at us! If I could tone down the font contrast or change the color of the font and the pop up window background it would be fine. Would love a larger font but just not having the white blare out at us would work. Not looking for magic, just readability. And yes we have tried all the different backgrounds and brightness.

you mean go to the guide, select a program listing (like bonanza) and hit info two times? if so it appears to be same color but the font there is not good and probably could be double that size in font. Doesn't 'blare' for me. the show name is Blue and large very readable, episode is in 1/2 bright 'gray' and the text is white /bright but ok i'll say it is a bit harder to read on my 32 inch about 10 feet from my eyes.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Most Valued Poster

@Rustyben wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

you mean go to the guide, select a program listing (like bonanza) and hit info two times? if so it appears to be same color but the font there is not good and probably could be double that size in font. Doesn't 'blare' for me. the show name is Blue and large very readable, episode is in 1/2 bright 'gray' and the text is white /bright but ok i'll say it is a bit harder to read on my 32 inch about 10 feet from my eyes.

Pressing info once and/or twice is when the white on black is blurry. If the font were a bit larger perhaps we could deal with the contrast or if the contrast were different perhaps we could deal with the font size. Perhaps I should have said 'glaring' white on black instead of blaring.

Expert

@TerriB wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

Pressing info once and/or twice is when the white on black is blurry. If the font were a bit larger perhaps we could deal with the contrast or if the contrast were different perhaps we could deal with the font size. Perhaps I should have said 'glaring' white on black instead of blaring.

info and info-info to me (white on black) is perfect and clear. i'm on 2 cheap newish Vizio's and one older sharp. not sure why they don't use at least double the space for info-info though

New Poster

X1 Guide

Spoke with a Comcast Rep. about how to make the Font larger on the new X1 Guide --- it's difficult for some of us Senior Citizens to read compared to the old guide.  She informed that she didn't think there was a way to do that (after we'd spent several minutes going through the
Settings options) and that they'd get back to me.

Does anyone know how to make the font(s) larger on the Guide?

Thank you.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 Guide

There are no adjustments for the X1 guide font. Comcast has said nothing on this issue which would suggest they have no plans to change it.

FYI, this subject is discussed quite often in this forum. In fact there is now a permanent "sticky" thread at the top of this forum. Feel free to read it if you would like to learn more about this issue.

@SilkPony wrote:

Spoke with a Comcast Rep. about how to make the Font larger on the new X1 Guide --- it's difficult for some of us Senior Citizens to read compared to the old guide.  She informed that she didn't think there was a way to do that (after we'd spent several minutes going through the

Thank you.

Expert

@SilkPony wrote:

Thank you.

when you press the xFinity button>>Apps>>Weather and the app starts can you read the print on that nicely? select 'extended' and see if it is clear (white on Gray boxes). All readable?

Also do you have a laptop or tablet or smart phone you can use for a guide? comcast has apps available for the smartphone that are very easy to use and very clear.

Most Valued Poster

@Rustyben wrote:

@SilkPony wrote:

Thank you.

when you press the xFinity button>>Apps>>Weather and the app starts can you read the print on that nicely? select 'extended' and see if it is clear (white on Gray boxes). All readable?

Also do you have a laptop or tablet or smart phone you can use for a guide? comcast has apps available for the smartphone that are very easy to use and very clear.

I object to having to use another device to read the darn text. We pay royally for X1 and should be able to read the information on the TV since thats the viewing device we are paying for especially since they used to have font options under 'general settings' and took them away.

Most Valued Poster

@SilkPony wrote:

Thank you.

X1 used to have the options and they removed them. Can't believe the rep didn't know there is no way to do it and wasted your time. You have joined a large group who cannot read the text but seems they have no interest in bringing options  back.  Its not just seniors like you and me and its not the size of the TV either or how far you sit from the screen. In my case I feel is the stark contrast of the white on black in the program information windows. Its makes it blurry.

Expert

@TerriB wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@SilkPony wrote:

Thank you.

I object to having to use another device to read the darn text. We pay royally for X1 and should be able to read the information on the TV since thats the viewing device we are paying for especially since they used to have font options under 'general settings' and took them away.

hi terri, I ask to use the weather app as it has a lot of text on different backgrounds. It can test if there is some kind of blooming issue with a TV (fuzzy due to over-driven contrast for example). The weather text is separate and just an indication of what is clear to the viewer.

Most Valued Poster

@Rustyben wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@SilkPony wrote:

Thank you.

hi terri, I ask to use the weather app as it has a lot of text on different backgrounds. It can test if there is some kind of blooming issue with a TV (fuzzy due to over-driven contrast for example). The weather text is separate and just an indication of what is clear to the viewer.

I understand! Our weather app is very clear and easy to read

New Poster

Just switched to X1 can't read the menu, terrible!!!

Can't take this small font for the menu in X1, even if it was a clearer, different font, and bigger it would be better.  Now I wish I didn't switch.  TERRIBLE

Expert

Re: Just switched to X1 can't read the menu, terrible!!!

@jack40 wrote:

Can't take this small font for the menu in X1, even if it was a clearer, different font, and bigger it would be better.  Now I wish I didn't switch.  TERRIBLE

would you try the reference test in post 508 just above your post and report what you find?

Most Valued Poster

@jack40 wrote:

The number of us who have the same problem is growing so much we could start our own small country. Don't let anyone tell you that your TV is too small, you sit too far away or you need new glasses...BUNK.

Silver Problem Solver

@TerriB wrote:

@jack40 wrote:

The number of us who have the same problem is growing so much we could start our own small country. Don't let anyone tell you that your TV is too small, you sit too far away or you need new glasses...BUNK.

Yet you still refuse to post screenshots.

My X1 menus are crisp and sharp, and so are every other X1 box that I've ever seen from friends and family. The letters are not blurry, and the contrast is fine, I can read the words on any screen anywhere from 3 feet to 15 feet away from my own 50 inch Samsung LED TV.

It's also difficult to tell if the bluriness is due to the camera used to take the screenshot, or the X1 box or TV having the issues, but screenshots would at least give us a general idea if there's something wrong.

Frequent Visitor

Well RickGr4 YOU might be able to read it just fine but my old eyes - and many other people's -can't. My TV is set up just fine and has an excellent picture. The old blue background was much better than the current black one and the font needs to be adjustable. There is no reason background color and font size can't be adjustable. Now it's time for YOU to move on.

Gold Problem Solver

Why the heck are you taking potshots at me? For the most part I support being able to adjust the X1 guide font size. However I have been told that it would be a massive undertaking and investment on Comcast's part and they have no plans (that I am aware of) to change anything in regards to guide font.

Yes, I happen to think the X1 guide font is fine as it is now. I am 55 and I have roughly 20/80 vision without my glasses. I often watch TV without my glasses. Yet I can read the X1 guide font on a 40" TV from 13 to 14 feet away.

I completely understand that some people have issues with the X1 guide font. But I don't. Please don't criticize me simply because Comcast has not announced any plans to change this. I am just trying to let people down easily.

PS. If I "move on" it will be because I choose to, not because a newbie to this forum might have issues with my "style".

@Sandykp wrote:

Well RickGr4 YOU might be able to read it just fine but my old eyes - and many other people's -can't. My TV is set up just fine and has an excellent picture. The old blue background was much better than the current black one and the font needs to be adjustable. There is no reason background color and font size can't be adjustable. Now it's time for YOU to move on.

Frequent Visitor

I am a newbie when it comes to posting but I'm not a newbie to this site. You pick on other people but you can't take it apparently. That was my point. I sit 13' from a 43" Pioneer plasma TV that has an excellent picture. Yes I wear contacts and I have one distance eye and one close eye not that that makes a difference. What matters is that I get a headache trying to read the guide and I'm not alone in hating it.  Looking at the dates on some of these posts though it's apparent that Comcast doesn't give a rat's behind about fixing it or pleasing their customers. No surprise there. 

Gold Problem Solver

Of course I can take it. In fact I have mellowed in my old age. Are you interested in hearing how I REALLY feel about this issue or should I stick with my politically correct version?

But you finally got the point of what I have been trying to say on this topic since day 1. Comcast may care about this issue but they have no plans to change it. I am just trying to let people down easy. You need to judge X1 on how it appears now, not how you hope or wish it could be.

My goal is very simple. I fight battles I have a chance to win. I try to help people where I can make a difference. The X1 guide font size issue is a battle we cannot win.

X1 is Comcast's top secret baby. They are developing it behind closed doors and under lock and key. There is no indication they are listening to outside input. Sorry but complaining about the X1 guide font size is a waste of time and energy.

I just read an article from last July that Comcast was installing 30,000 X1 boxes PER DAY. They are approaching 10 million X1 boxes in service. HOWEVER Comcast has also said the "churn" (returns) of the X1 platform are lower than any previous platform. That simply means a vast majority of people like X1.

I am sorry that you have issues with the X1 guide but most people don't. You can always go back to legacy boxes. I am sure Comcast has plenty of them laying around.

@Sandykp wrote:

I am a newbie when it comes to posting but I'm not a newbie to this site. You pick on other people but you can't take it apparently. That was my point. I sit 13' from a 43" Pioneer plasma TV that has an excellent picture. Yes I wear contacts and I have one distance eye and one close eye not that that makes a difference. What matters is that I get a headache trying to read the guide and I'm not alone in hating it.  Looking at the dates on some of these posts though it's apparent that Comcast doesn't give a rat's behind about fixing it or pleasing their customers. No surprise there. 

Most Valued Poster

@John3758 wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@jack40 wrote:

Yet you still refuse to post screenshots.

My X1 menus are crisp and sharp, and so are every other X1 box that I've ever seen from friends and family. The letters are not blurry, and the contrast is fine, I can read the words on any screen anywhere from 3 feet to 15 feet away from my own 50 inch Samsung LED TV.

It's also difficult to tell if the bluriness is due to the camera used to take the screenshot, or the X1 box or TV having the issues, but screenshots would at least give us a general idea if there's something wrong.

There is no need for me to post a screenshot to  prove one darn thing and I don't appreciate the word 'refused'. If all of us who cannot read the font would do that this forum would be clogged with them. Some have posted screenshots and thats enough. Why would we say we can't read it unless we can't? We are not posting about it to hear ourselves!

Happy that you can read it all.

New Poster

font size on Guide

Is there any way to enlarge the font size on the guide? Very small.

New Poster

New X1 TV box

I just received the new X1 box.  The GUIDE which shows all the networks and programs by time is hard to read.  The font size is much smaller than my older box guide.   I used to be able to read all the characters from 20 feet away, now I need to be within 10 feet to see them.  Is there any way to increase the font size of these characters?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: New X1 TV box

Not at this time.  Th X1 Guide has gone through some changes since I got it two and a half years ago.

The X1 system doesn't display well on SD TV's. If you can get your old Legacy boxes back, that would be a good idea.

Many, many people have posted here about the font on the Guide.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

Re: Font too small on the X1 Guide Channel

Include me on the "displeased about too small font size" list !
Regular Contributor

I have seen other systems that let you resize the guide by choosing how much info is displayed, but obviously Comcast is not concerned enough with this to build this into the software.  Surprising since this topic is so many pages long.  They would probably prefer that you get a bigger TV.

Silver Problem Solver

@TerriB wrote:

There is no need for me to post a screenshot to  prove one darn thing and I don't appreciate the word 'refused'. If all of us who cannot read the font would do that this forum would be clogged with them. Some have posted screenshots and thats enough. Why would we say we can't read it unless we can't? We are not posting about it to hear ourselves!

Except the people that posted screenshots are of the ones that have no issues.

Yes, you are basically refusing to post a screenshot. The wording is accurate.

We don't need everyone to post a screenshot, just a few people.

Most Valued Poster

@John3758 wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

Oh just stop it. Several with the font issue have indeed posted screenshots and having more do it is redundant. Those who don't have the problem and  post screenshots are not helping one bit. I am happy for those who can read the text.  Proving to you and a couple of others who keep wanting to see more screenshots to show we can't see the text is not going to get it fixed.  Its just silly that some  think we are 'stirring the pot'. I  don't need to  post a screenshot to prove the situation exists.  What is it about 'we can't read it' that you don't understand?  More and more who are just getting X1 are posting that they can't read it .

Those who call or have had a tech come out are told "you need a new box" and the box is NOT the problem. There are no adjustments a tech can do that we users have not already tried. Their time is  better spent where they can be effective. The simple solution to the font issue is to make it adjustabe. Its another in a long list of functions that were taken away. This one is an accessibility/disability issue so should be a top priority. Goodness knows there is a garden of text/contrast adjustments for those who can't HEAR.

Comcast rep has gathered data from a lot of us and I think they believe us but just aren't going to do anything. I have  given up and when you keep poking the bear you  remind us how miserable it is not to be able to read the text from more than 2 feet from the screen. Lets move along.

Most Valued Poster

@CoreyD wrote:

I have seen other systems that let you resize the guide by choosing how much info is displayed, but obviously Comcast is not concerned enough with this to build this into the software.  Surprising since this topic is so many pages long.  They would probably prefer that you get a bigger TV.

Other users have suggested we sit closer, get our eyes checked and of course get a bigger tv. I pay almost $200 a month and reading the info is so very basic regardless of tv size. Many who have huge screens are having the problem so size doesn't matter.  Pushback from those who have no font issues has been  that if we could resize the guide less lines of info would be displayed. My pushback to them is if you don't have the font issue then you wouldn't be adjusting it.  Everyone scrolls down the guide so a few less lines is not an issue to be able to read it. FYI....I can read the guide fine. Its the program info that is small and blurry....I think its the contrast more than the text size but hard to tell since its so blurry.

Most Valued Poster

Re: New X1 TV box

There used to be a feature to change the font/contrast but its been removed. Welcome to the long list of those who cannot read the info. You are lucky to be able to read at 10 feet...lol.

@Dale84 wrote:

I just received the new X1 box.  The GUIDE which shows all the networks and programs by time is hard to read.  The font size is much smaller than my older box guide.   I used to be able to read all the characters from 20 feet away, now I need to be within 10 feet to see them.  Is there any way to increase the font size of these characters?

New Poster

@John3758 wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

If you insist on the wording being accurate, what you want people to post are pictures of their screens, not screen shots.  There IS a difference.  Pictures of the screen depend entirely on the camera used to take them, and so are most likely not an accurate representation of what actually appears on the screen.  

Most Valued Poster

@dzthornton wrote:

@John3758 wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

If you insist on the wording being accurate, what you want people to post are pictures of their screens, not screen shots.  There IS a difference.  Pictures of the screen depend entirely on the camera used to take them, and so are most likely not an accurate representation of what actually appears on the screen.  

You are absoutely correct . I have taken photos of my screen with two different cameras and they don't do justice to what is on there. Don't know how else to do it.

Problem Solver

This may sound crazy, but try setting X1 to 720p. I find text to be much more crisp at this setting. I believe this is because the guide is rendered at 720p and then scaled to whatever resolution is selected.
Most Valued Poster

@scjohnson312 wrote:
This may sound crazy, but try setting X1 to 720p. I find text to be much more crisp at this setting. I believe this is because the guide is rendered at 720p and then scaled to whatever resolution is selected.

Its not crazy and it does make it better but you lose many features...can't remember which ones but I know I had to go back to 1080 right away when I tried the 720 months ago.

Silver Problem Solver

Stop arguing over semantics, 

Most Valued Poster

@John3758 wrote:

You act like I am a singlevoice crying out in the wilderness.Search the forums for 'font too small' and you will find about 100 discussion threads. I am not going to waste hours of my time searching for screenshots to satisfy your curiousty. If you don't have the font issue why do you even care? Being an agitator and stirring the pot ls not productive and its tiring.

You have a 100% inaccurate impression of me as a consumer. I am a 69 yr old retired telcom network engineer and a strong woman with a voice BUT I have never called and yelled at Comcast or any vendor for that matter. I get things done by being really  nice when I call for help and it usually works but not with functions Comcast has taken away and I am not alone by any means.  I had Comcast long long before they were Comcast and was content until X1.  We got it mainly for the DVR multi recording function. When Comcast started removing features my feathers got ruffled but  my discontent was displayed on the forums as I got no where thru proper channels with Comcast itself. I hoped that my peers might somehow help.

CNET had an article in Oct 2013 showing the font/contrast options under general settings complete with screen shot of the instructions (it is no longer on their site of course). When we got X1 in April 2014 all was well until they changed the guide format of S.A. boxes to emulate Motorola. For a while we could switch to the old guide but then they took that option away so I called. They came to the house and changed out the practically brand new box but it made no difference. Tech saw what I saw and suggested I call and have ticket written/escalated so I did but nothing came of it. My household was in an uproar over the font. Different ages/sexes/visions and no one could read it. There are only two of us now. I visited friends in my coverage area and 2 of 3 had the font issue but never called anyone about it. They did like we did...walked up to the set to read it....I call that nonsense!    I got involved in the forums and found that there were many with the font issue and knowing that the forums are a microcosm of users I knew it had to be a huge issue. The more that got X1 the more negative input we got on the forums. I visited the cust svc center to discuss the issue and they said they would send it 'up the chain' but I never heard anything.

Unlike when dealing directly with a vendor I can be stronger voiced on forums since they are my peers. I  have been  pushed back on by my guru friends on this forum and we debate issues but its all good natured and I have their respect.

Speak up guys....support me here! You 'know' me!!

Last year one of the Comcast  forum reps got interested and compiled data from us about the font issues and was going to try to help. He got a lot of input iand that included screen shots that had been posted. I am going to PM him to see if he has the shots or knows where they may be just so you can satisfy your curiousty . We  also had new generations of the Lithium forums so the screen shots may have been lost as have many other kinds of posted images  but I can assure you they existed and quite frankly whether you believe me or not will not cause lost sleep on my part nor does it change the font issue being real. I have no explanation as to why some have the problem and some don't.   A couple month ago when I visited my new and very nice cust svc center to get a voice control remote I  discussed the issue and they were very cordial as was I. One of the reps said he had heard the font complaint before. They said they would send it 'up the chain' but I never heard anything. Those who can't read the font have all sorts and sizes of TV sets and sit at different distances. We all deserve to be able to read program information.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

The X1 menu is difficult to read.  They need to have options to adjust the text menu.  My wife is discusted and wants to drop Comcast altogether.  The Xfinity App is the only thing keeping her from doing this, but aren't we paying for this service?

Most Valued Poster

@Bob35 wrote:

The X1 menu is difficult to read.  They need to have options to adjust the text menu.  My wife is discusted and wants to drop Comcast altogether.  The Xfinity App is the only thing keeping her from doing this, but aren't we paying for this service?

Thanks for joining the ranks of the disgusted! The list grows almost daily of those who cannot read the text but Comcast still has not addressed it. One basic about the guide and info should be that we should be able to READ whats there. I guess thats asking too much.

New Poster

xfinity 1

Very recently I had the DVR box changed to the upgraded version Xfinity 1. It enabled us to have High Deffinition which is a nice feature. However, when getting accustom to the new format it became obvious that the new " Guide"  screen has a much smaller font that is on a black background.

It is very difficult to read...even though the distance from our TV is the same. From where we have always sat the room, we now have to get up and go closer to the TV just to read the guide. This is very disapointing and when I brought this to the attention of the comcast representatives they said that many other people have complained as well.

It seems that for people who may not have this problem... they wouldn't object to a larger print in the guide, but it would help tremendously for those who do have that problem.

Having the Xfinity service is quite costly, so something should be done to accomidate those who are having such a hard time reading the guide screen.

Thank you.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: xfinity 1

If you change your screen resolution to 720p, does it make it easier to read?

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-video-display

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Silver Problem Solver

@TerriB wrote:

@John3758 wrote:

You act like I am a singlevoice crying out in the wilderness.Search the forums for 'font too small' and you will find about 100 discussion threads. I am not going to waste hours of my time searching for screenshots to satisfy your curiousty. If you don't have the font issue why do you even care? Being an agitator and stirring the pot ls not productive and its tiring. I'm not saying you're alone, I'm saying that if you (and everyone else having the issue) refuse to post screenshots in a public area, how can you expect people to believe you? How do you know there's not just a technical issue that is taking Comcast forever to figure out, and fellow users might have a solution already?

You have a 100% inaccurate impression of me as a consumer. I am a 69 yr old retired telcom network engineer and a strong woman with a voice BUT I have never called and yelled at Comcast or any vendor for that matter. I get things done by being really  nice when I call for help and it usually works but not with functions Comcast has taken away and I am not alone by any means.  I had Comcast long long before they were Comcast and was content until X1.  We got it mainly for the DVR multi recording function. When Comcast started removing features my feathers got ruffled but  my discontent was displayed on the forums as I got no where thru proper channels with Comcast itself. I hoped that my peers might somehow help.

CNET had an article in Oct 2013 showing the font/contrast options under general settings complete with screen shot of the instructions (it is no longer on their site of course). When we got X1 in April 2014 all was well until they changed the guide format of S.A. boxes to emulate Motorola. For a while we could switch to the old guide but then they took that option away so I called. They came to the house and changed out the practically brand new box but it made no difference. Tech saw what I saw and suggested I call and have ticket written/escalated so I did but nothing came of it. My household was in an uproar over the font. Different ages/sexes/visions and no one could read it. There are only two of us now. I visited friends in my coverage area and 2 of 3 had the font issue but never called anyone about it. They did like we did...walked up to the set to read it....I call that nonsense!    I got involved in the forums and found that there were many with the font issue and knowing that the forums are a microcosm of users I knew it had to be a huge issue. The more that got X1 the more negative input we got on the forums. I visited the cust svc center to discuss the issue and they said they would send it 'up the chain' but I never heard anything.

Unlike when dealing directly with a vendor I can be stronger voiced on forums since they are my peers. I  have been  pushed back on by my guru friends on this forum and we debate issues but its all good natured and I have their respect.

Speak up guys....support me here! You 'know' me!!

Last year one of the Comcast  forum reps got interested and compiled data from us about the font issues and was going to try to help. He got a lot of input iand that included screen shots that had been posted. I am going to PM him to see if he has the shots or knows where they may be just so you can satisfy your curiousty . You can also look in your sent items folder unless you deleted those. I never delete things from my sent folder. We  also had new generations of the Lithium forums so the screen shots may have been lost as have many other kinds of posted images  but I can assure you they existed and quite frankly whether you believe me or not will not cause lost sleep on my part nor does it change the font issue being real. I have no explanation as to why some have the problem and some don't.   A couple month ago when I visited my new and very nice cust svc center to get a voice control remote I  discussed the issue and they were very cordial as was I. One of the reps said he had heard the font complaint before. They said they would send it 'up the chain' but I never heard anything. Those who can't read the font have all sorts and sizes of TV sets and sit at different distances. We all deserve to be able to read program information.

I've already posted some possible fixes elsewhere, which some people seem to find makes it better.

If your TV is not HD, then make sure you have the box set to 480i, and hooked up via coax/RCA.

If your TV is HD, try setting the screen resolution to 480 and back to 1080 and hooked up via HDMI/Component.

The font size is the same as most broadcasters use for their scrolls, so if you can read those, you will be able to see the guide. 

Regular Visitor

When is Comcast going to address the issue with the Channel Guide too small font size?

Yes, I am aware there are many many threads regarding the issue customers are having reading the channel guide because the font size is too small. I am more disgusted with Comcast than I was before I started searching for help with this issue. So, for months customers have been complaining about this problem and all Comcast does to address the issue is to say that at this time the channel guide font size is not adjustable. I am now officially convinced that the only thing Comcast is concerned about is making money, certainly not customer satisfaction.

I have one question... when is Comcast going to address this issue?  BECAUSE I CAN'T READ THE GUIDE ON MY HD TV!

Silver Problem Solver

Re: When is Comcast going to address the issue with the Channel Guide too small font size?

@sluers wrote:

Yes, I am aware there are many many threads regarding the issue customers are having reading the channel guide because the font size is too small. I am more disgusted with Comcast than I was before I started searching for help with this issue. So, for months customers have been complaining about this problem and all Comcast does to address the issue is to say that at this time the channel guide font size is not adjustable. I am now officially convinced that the only thing Comcast is concerned about is making money, certainly not customer satisfaction.

I have one question... when is Comcast going to address this issue?  BECAUSE I CAN'T READ THE GUIDE ON MY HD TV!

Only a Comcast mod can answer that question, as you probably know.

The best thing is to do what users did with reminders; keep asking your question.

Until Comcast comes out and actually says they can't do anything about the readability, there is hope. <vbg>

I still agree that screenshots will drive the issue home to Comcast and give them something to work with.

We saw that happen with the stereo/surround issue; they finally found the issue with their system and fixed it.  There are still customers who have an EDID issue that usually takes a customer-purchased connector to fix.

Frequent Visitor

Re: xfinity 1

Thank you . . . This did help.

Frequent Visitor

They need to fix this. Some people have poor eyesight and need to adjust the size of the font in the guide. If the first version had it... why take the option away?? The idea is to improve the platform not take options away. And just because someone here thinks it's fine...and puts down those who think different.....well that shows nothing except arrogance and self righteousness.

Most Valued Poster

John,

Are you serious that  the long list of those who have expressed frustration and displeasure with not being able to read the guide and program info are NOT to be believed because we are not posting more screen shots?  So basically you are calliing us liars. Am I the only one totally offended? Screen shots have been posted and/or shared with  Comcast reps.  Comcast does indeed believe we can't read it but they aren't going to do anything about it. Their silence tells that tale.  As forum members and customers for a very long time we have shared possible solutions like settings work arounds but nothing helps. We have called with our issue and had techs come to look and they can't do anything (changing the box does not help) and they ask us to call back and escalate so we do.  Other than the blurry small font on the guide program info I have clear beautiful crisp picture, color,etc. I can read tiny little print on network scrawls at the bottom and top of the screen so its NOT my eyes.  Signal strength  at my house is just fine. Could read the guide and info just fine before they changed it.

"I'm not saying you're alone, I'm saying that if you (and everyone else having the issue) refuse to post screenshots in a public area, how can you expect people to believe you? How do you know there's not just a technical issue that is taking Comcast forever to figure out, and fellow users might have a solution already?"

I don't delete from my sent folder either. Sept 2014 was when  I PM'd Comcast Brandon with  account/technical information for his 'study' that he requested from those with the problem. I PM'd him  last  week  for status but he has not been on the forums for quite a while per another Comcast rep.  Therefore I  cannot get feedback  on what if anything he did with the data so many of us provided to him. I don't know who you think you are to hammer on me but its time you backed off and directly address others with the issue in the same brash way you address me and tell them to post screen shots or whatever . Seems others are timid to support my pushback to you so maybe if you offend them directly they will respond.

"You can also look in your sent items folder unless you deleted those. I never delete things from my sent folder"

Most Valued Poster

@LucaBrocci wrote:

They need to fix this. Some people have poor eyesight and need to adjust the size of the font in the guide. If the first version had it... why take the option away?? The idea is to improve the platform not take options away. And just because someone here thinks it's fine...and puts down those who think different.....well that shows nothing except arrogance and self righteousness.

As X1 has evolved they have taken away font options, slo mo, frame by frame and the all important recording buffer and I am sure more of what we really needed/enjoyed will be plucked from the platform. They keep adding bells and whistles for  specific demographics which is fine but why take away 'core' features that benefit everyone? When I see commercials for new things they think will wow their potential customers I bristle.

New Poster

@TerriB wrote:

John,

Are you serious that  the long list of those who have expressed frustration and displeasure with not being able to read the guide and program info are NOT to be believed because we are not posting more screen shots?  So basically you are calliing us liars. Am I the only one totally offended? Screen shots have been posted and/or shared with  Comcast reps.  Comcast does indeed believe we can't read it but they aren't going to do anything about it. Their silence tells that tale.  As forum members and customers for a very long time we have shared possible solutions like settings work arounds but nothing helps. We have called with our issue and had techs come to look and they can't do anything (changing the box does not help) and they ask us to call back and escalate so we do.  Other than the blurry small font on the guide program info I have clear beautiful crisp picture, color,etc. I can read tiny little print on network scrawls at the bottom and top of the screen so its NOT my eyes.  Signal strength  at my house is just fine. Could read the guide and info just fine before they changed it.

"I'm not saying you're alone, I'm saying that if you (and everyone else having the issue) refuse to post screenshots in a public area, how can you expect people to believe you? How do you know there's not just a technical issue that is taking Comcast forever to figure out, and fellow users might have a solution already?"

NO!  You are not the only one offended.  If John used the proper terminology, he might get some picture of screens...if he weren't so angry.  And so convinced he is right.  I will even abmit he is right about his TVs.  Perhaps he should find another topic.  A screenshot from my computer monitor has nothing to do with the problem.

Silver Problem Solver

dzthornton if all you're going to do is argue semantics then there's no point in even replying as you are not contributing or accomplishing anything. If anything I would say you're just trying to agitate others with posts like that.
TerriB, ComcastBrandon apepars to no longer be an employee, however there does appear to be a ComcastBrandonM employee now. Not sure if it's the same person or not.
Silver Problem Solver

@dzthornton wrote:

NO!  You are not the only one offended.  If John used the proper terminology, he might get some picture of screens...if he weren't so angry.  And so convinced he is right.  I will even abmit he is right about his TVs.  Perhaps he should find another topic.  A screenshot from my computer monitor has nothing to do with the problem.

Computer monitor?  You don't mean you are using a computer monitor with the X1 box?