Community Forum

Font too small on the X1 Guide Channel

New Poster

Re: Font too small on the X1 Guide Channel

I agree.  The X1 font is too small. Customers should have a font size setting option. 

Problem Solver

Romsteve

Thanks for reaching out to us regarding this issue.  I have added your request to my report.

Thanks

Brandon

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee.
I no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions
may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered?
Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Silver Problem Solver

Add me to the list of people that wants to be able to adjust font size.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Most Valued Poster

I am thrilled to see more and more customers posting the need to be able to adjust the font after all the negative  pushback I have received over the past few months.  Those of you who are happy and have beat me to death over this need PLEASE don't go over why we don't need to be able to adjust again. I just had to comment on the increase in user input. Makes me smile.

Problem Solver

@TerriB wrote:

I am thrilled to see more and more customers posting the need to be able to adjust the font after all the negative  pushback I have received over the past few months.  Those of you who are happy and have beat me to death over this need PLEASE don't go over why we don't need to be able to adjust again. I just had to comment on the increase in user input. Makes me smile.

She's baaaccckk !!!!    Just kidding TerriB !!  How you doing??

Fred

Most Valued Poster

@fpirelli wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

Fred

Hi Fred, have been trying to hold myself back but just could not resist. The ole horse is not being beat again....lol.

Gold Problem Solver

Not to be a downer here...

But if Brandon is still compiling his report, the return of guide font size adjustability is at least months away if not more. My concern is how serious Comcast is about this issue. What will happen if guide software gets off the cloud and back on the box? What will happen if Comcast's talks with TiVo move further. Personally, I think Comcast has too much goin on (in comparison to the resources they are willing to devote to X1) to take the guide font size issue seriously. I hope I am wrong but I don't think I am.

Also, I haven't said much about this but this December I plan to jump on the TiVo bus along with Shane the Pizzaman. X1 is too basic for me. It doesn't do enough. It doesn't offer enough settings and adjustability. The fact that all of the ports are turned off is starting to bug me. X1 is simply too watered down for me. If Comcast could somehow combine the best of X1 along with the best of legacy boxes, I would stay. But I think human beings will be traveling at warp speed before Comcast gets X1 right...

@TerriB wrote:

@fpirelli wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

Fred

Hi Fred, have been trying to hold myself back but just could not resist. The ole horse is not being beat again....lol.

Most Valued Poster

@RickGr4 wrote:

But if Brandon is still compiling his report, the return of guide font size adjustability is at least months away if not more. My concern is how serious Comcast is about this issue. What will happen if guide software gets off the cloud and back on the box? What will happen if Comcast's talks with TiVo move further. Personally, I think Comcast has too much goin on (in comparison to the resources they are willing to devote to X1) to take the guide font size issue seriously. I hope I am wrong but I don't think I am.

Also, I haven't said much about this but this December I plan to jump on the TiVo bus along with Shane the Pizzaman. X1 is too basic for me. It doesn't do enough. It doesn't offer enough settings and adjustability. The fact that all of the ports are turned off is starting to bug me. X1 is simply too watered down for me. If Comcast could somehow combine the best of X1 along with the best of legacy boxes, I would stay. But I think human beings will be traveling at warp speed before Comcast gets X1 right...

@TerriB wrote:

@fpirelli wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

Fred

Rick, At this point I am just glad that someone in Comcast is compiling information for the font adjustment even if it takes a while.

If you go TIVO does it 'fit' with Comcast ? I don't know much about it except that you pay monthly.

Gold Problem Solver

Terri,

I think Shane knows more about the monthly charges than I do. I know he will be paying a bit less per month overall. You need to pay subscription fees to TiVo but you get to remove DVR, HD box and AnyRoom charges for your Comcast bill. You need to add CableCARD charges to your Comcast bill. By the time it is all said and done, I believe your total monthly bill is slightly less having TiVo DVRs.

You still need to deal with Comcast in regards to CableCARDs and the programming package you are on. Comcast still gets a lions share of your money, but at least you own your DVRs and every review I have read says TiVo still has the best DVR out there. They should...TiVo holds many important DVR patents which some forum members believe has Comcast's hands tied when it comes to X1.

By switching over to TiVo, you certainly are not leaving Comcast. You are just leaving their DVR and cable box service.

@TerriB wrote:

@RickGr4 wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@fpirelli wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

Fred

Rick, At this point I am just glad that someone in Comcast is compiling information for the font adjustment even if it takes a while.

If you go TIVO does it 'fit' with Comcast ? I don't know much about it except that you pay monthly.

Most Valued Poster

@RickGr4 wrote:

Terri,

I think Shane knows more about the monthly charges than I do. I know he will be paying a bit less per month overall. You need to pay subscription fees to TiVo but you get to remove DVR, HD box and AnyRoom charges for your Comcast bill. You need to add CableCARD charges to your Comcast bill. By the time it is all said and done, I believe your total monthly bill is slightly less having TiVo DVRs.

You still need to deal with Comcast in regards to CableCARDs and the programming package you are on. Comcast still gets a lions share of your money, but at least you own your DVRs and every review I have read says TiVo still has the best DVR out there. They should...TiVo holds many important DVR patents which some forum members believe has Comcast's hands tied when it comes to X1.

By switching over to TiVo, you certainly are not leaving Comcast. You are just leaving their DVR and cable box service.

I wish you and Shane good luck with the Tivo.

Problem Solver

You don't save money if you only are using one box. If you are paying additional stb/DVR fee like most of us are now than you pay about the same a month. Just keep in mind that the newer tivo unit don't support sd tv sets.....I guess they think if you have the money to spend on a Dvr than you already have a real tv...

Problem Solver

Thank you Robert.

You were actually already on my report. 

My report has a good amount of information on it, and I will be emailing it out to my Accessability Supervisor today.

I'll post back when I hear something!

Thanks for all the information

Brandon

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee.
I no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions
may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered?
Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Expert

@RickGr4 wrote:

I just might be buying a ticket on that BUS as well....    Perfect timing for a Christmas Gift to myself!!!   <VBG>

-=Ray=-

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Most Valued Poster

@gotpizza wrote:

You don't save money if you only are using one box. If you are paying additional stb/DVR fee like most of us are now than you pay about the same a month. Just keep in mind that the newer tivo unit don't support sd tv sets.....I guess they think if you have the money to spend on a Dvr than you already have a real tv...

Hey now....watch the 'real tv' crack!. I  felt a strong yank on  my chain as only you can!  I don't have a need for Tivo and my large screen SD set is as real as it gets. When it takes a dirt nap we will upgrade.  Comcast DVR takes care of our needs except for the quirks with recordings and so forth. We can record all we need/want on one DVR.

Problem Solver

Terri sorry about the confusion at that. That was posted so you didn't go out and buy one to find out it won't work on your TV..I thought you would kick out of the real TV thing...
Most Valued Poster

@gotpizza wrote:
Terri sorry about the confusion at that. That was posted so you didn't go out and buy one to find out it won't work on your TV..I thought you would kick out of the real TV thing...

Yes dear I got such a kick out of it I wanted to kick you......lol. We have learned so much about each other on here haven't we? I remember checking out Tivo when I bought this tv and loved the idea since we didn't have DVRs back then but didn't want to pay the monthly charges. We all have to get/use what works best for us.

New Poster

Re: Font too Large on the X1 Guide Channel

I have the opposite problem. My x1 was reset last night and now the font in the guide is massive! To the point where I can only view one hour at at time. Has anyone encountered this and is there a way to fix?

Problem Solver

I want to add something here. As some of you know I have Tivo along side my x1. I can see the tivo text much better than the x1. I have measured the size and boldness and size of the text( in case you ask I used a micrometer on my 160" screen).

The difference is the font is white on blue( really close to the legacy blue).So maybe there is something with the white on black issue!

Most Valued Poster

@phpeck wrote:

I have the opposite problem. My x1 was reset last night and now the font in the guide is massive! To the point where I can only view one hour at at time. Has anyone encountered this and is there a way to fix?

I have to assume your tongue is in your cheek and you are yanking chains.  No one else has reported this and Comcast has done nothing to allow us to adjust nor have they changed the font. What version are you on now? I would be thrilled to have to scroll to see more than one line at a time IF IT MEANT I COULD READ THE GUIDEAND PROGRAM INFO.

Most Valued Poster

@gotpizza wrote:

I want to add something here. As some of you know I have Tivo along side my x1. I can see the tivo text much better than the x1. I have measured the size and boldness and size of the text( in case you ask I used a micrometer on my 160" screen).

The difference is the font is white on blue( really close to the legacy blue).So maybe there is something with the white on black issue!

===============

OMG Shane, you actually are coming round to my way of thinking that it may be all about the contrast??? What is with the new poster saying they have HUGE FONT?????

Problem Solver

@TerriB wrote:

@phpeck wrote:

I assume you are kidding??? No one else has reported this and Comcast has done nothing to allow us to adjust the tiny font. What version are you on now? I would be thrilled to have to scroll to see more than one line at a time IF IT MEANT I COULD READ THE GUIDE.

terri they are having the ZOOM in bug that everyone was getting last week!

Most Valued Poster

@gotpizza wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@phpeck wrote:

I assume you are kidding??? No one else has reported this and Comcast has done nothing to allow us to adjust the tiny font. What version are you on now? I would be thrilled to have to scroll to see more than one line at a time IF IT MEANT I COULD READ THE GUIDE.

terri they are having the ZOOM in bug that everyone was getting last week!

WHEW...thanks for clearing that up. I was ready to put a noose around my neck.

Problem Solver

Yes I have always thought this, it just took me getting tivo to confirm this. Here is a link a want you to check out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9vpphb2NXo

Most Valued Poster

We must stop using the subject that says Font too Large now that we know its the zoom bug. Just having the words Font too Large is the worst thing in the world for Comcast to see being posted. We will NEVER get them to allow us to adjust .

Most Valued Poster

@gotpizza wrote:

Yes I have always thought this, it just took me getting tivo to confirm this. Here is a link a want you to check out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9vpphb2NXo

I LOVE THE WHITE ON "LEGACY' BLUE...CLEAR AS A BELL

Problem Solver

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQVlOflMOqI

Here is a better link which shows the guide better. just so you know they show what they call the live guide, but it also has the traditional grid style guide as well.

DISCLAIMER: This link is placed here to show the difference in color contrast, not to endorse Tivo!

In saying that I hope you understand the slight topic change!

New Poster

Re: Font too SMALL on the X1 Guide Channel

@TerriB wrote:

We must stop using the subject that says Font too Large now that we know its the zoom bug. Just having the words Font too Large is the worst thing in the world for Comcast to see being posted. We will NEVER get them to allow us to adjust .

I am not amused by the change of topic from small font size to large font size.  If you don't have the problem, lucky you!  Stop  interferring, go away and let the rest of us try to get Comcast to pay attention to a real problem.

Gold Problem Solver

Personally I don't think Comcast is taking this issue seriously and I HIGHLY doubt that guide font size adjustment will return.

I believe that those of you waiting for this are going to be waiting for a very long time. I suggest you go back to legacy boxes or change over to TiVo.

Most Valued Poster

@dzthornton wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

I am not amused by the change of topic from small font size to large font size.  If you don't have the problem, lucky you!  Stop  interferring, go away and let the rest of us try to get Comcast to pay attention to a real problem.

I am not amused either and we need Comcast to NOT see the word TOO LARGE anywhere...

Problem Solver

Re: Font is microscopic on the X1 Guide Channel

Is this title better? 

Problem Solver

Pizza gotta love your sense of humor.

Fred
Expert

@RickGr4 wrote:

Personally I don't think Comcast is taking this issue seriously and I HIGHLY doubt that guide font size adjustment will return.

I believe that those of you waiting for this are going to be waiting for a very long time. I suggest you go back to legacy boxes or change over to TiVo.

CHRISTMAS !!!!   I can't wait to open my gift under the tree!!!!!   <VBSEG>

-=Ray=-

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Most Valued Poster

@gotpizza wrote:

Is this title better? 

You never cease to amaze me....roll on.

Problem Solver

Ray I would not get the six tuner model...some still claim to issue with it...

Terri good luck with the font battle...Maybe it is time to drive to philly!

Problem Solver

My little 4 tuner Romio I has given zero issues so far. There are still issues with the 6 tuners especially it seems with the cable cards. And it's not limited to Comcast.
Fred
Most Valued Poster

@gotpizza wrote:

Ray I would not get the six tuner model...some still claim to issue with it...

Terri good luck with the font battle...Maybe it is time to drive to philly!

I can get to their Regional HQ in Manassas, Va  in 15 minutes! Thats where that senior citizen  lady who made the national news a couple of years ago took her equipment and slammed it on a corporate officer's desk. They arrested her but she got what she wanted. She became my hero.

Gold Problem Solver

Hmmm,

Comcast multi stream CableCards are supposed to support six channels yet X1 boxes use five of their six tuners. Now we learn that six tuner TiVo boxes are having problems with Comcast CableCards? Maybe now we know why Comcast did not activate all six tuners in the X1 DVRs...

Sorry for the thread hijack...

@fpirelli wrote:
My little 4 tuner Romio I has given zero issues so far. There are still issues with the 6 tuners especially it seems with the cable cards. And it's not limited to Comcast.
Fred

Problem Solver

@RickGr4 wrote:

Hmmm,

Comcast multi stream CableCards are supposed to support six channels yet X1 boxes use five of their six tuners. Now we learn that six tuner TiVo boxes are having problems with Comcast CableCards? Maybe now we know why Comcast did not activate all six tuners in the X1 DVRs...

Sorry for the thread hijack...

@fpirelli wrote:
Fred

The issue exist with time Warner customers as well. for some reason the cards get flaky after the 6th tuner is used..Most are able to use 5 of of 6 with the tivo.

Regular Visitor

Re: Too small guide letters and black background on guide.

Please include my wife and I regarding the guide font size issue. We have a 40 inch led that has excellent resolution.
Expert

@RobertWy wrote:

I'm not sure any PC monitor will give the same clarity as a TV.  This is a close copy of what I see.  My whites are a lot brighter, though.

http://media2.comcast.net/anon.comcastonline2/support/help/faqs/x1/HOW6958_x1_guide.png

@vic007 wrote:

Yes, I already PM'ed Brandon.  By the way, it is a 40" NEC monitor that I also use as a TV, and it's picture quality is otherwise very good.

Robert,
I truly believe you juist NAILED IT....   PC Monitors are orinigally set for VGA/Graphics...   within each monitor is the abiity to CHANGE almost every aspect of that graphic delivery.....   And NO.... a pc monitor is NOT the ame as anything devloped with a Tuner installed (LCD/LED/PLASMA/etc...)
Me thinks, if more people were to more closely examine the configuration changes that can be made within each MONITOR, the problem would go away for those who made the decision  to use a monitor versus a TV device...
-=Ray=-

Expert

@gotpizza wrote:

Thank you for getting rid of outdated threads..Now maybe I will wake up to only 30 emails not 60!!!

Shane,

You can fix that in your forum preferances.....  I did mine!!!!

-=Ray=-

Expert

on version 04e the text in the guide appears 'white' until you highlight it (changes to blue) then navigate off and it becomes nearly black dark gray on black). what happened?

Gold Problem Solver

Earlier today I watched the Formula 1 Brazilian Grand Prix with a very good friend that just last week switched from DirecTV to X1.

Funny but one of the first things he said was how clear and legible the X1 guide is..................

New Poster

POSSIBLE work around solution for those with older (or smaller) TVs.  Go to Xfinity > Settings (wheel icon) > Device Settings > Video Display > then change your display to 4:3, 480p or 4:3, 480i...basically mess around with those display settings as well as the Zoom function on that same menu.  While this doesn't change the font, it does make the guide clearer and larger as it was a bit squished on the default setting (I think the default was 16:9, 720p...at least for my TV).  

Contributor

Changed background.....fonts still too small,  We are getting frustrated....also, phone call listings are too small....have to get up; and see who's calling!   We lose picture at times and the remote is hard to read....give me my old service back....or fix it!

Gold Problem Solver

It won't be fixed soon if ever. You probably should consider going back to legacy boxes. Comcast doesn't care. You are paying them roughly the same amount of money...

@lwms41 wrote:

Changed background.....fonts still too small,  We are getting frustrated....also, phone call listings are too small....have to get up; and see who's calling!   We lose picture at times and the remote is hard to read....give me my old service back....or fix it!

New Poster

Add me to the list also.  I cannot read the guide on a smaller TV from across the room.  I would love to be able to adjust the font.

New Poster

I too am still having issues with this.  I have tried to selfsource the solution, but seee that the font size for the X1 is a real chore.  Some additional items that I found I didn't like with the X1 box, was that the groupings from the old xfinity boxes are no longer available on the new.  Though I will eventually learn the new, I miss some of my prior items.

Contributor

Yes, I certainly agree with you on allcounts....Comcast said this new program would enhance my tv viewing...but if anything it made it worse....Still not happy....

Highlighted
New Poster

I'm 57 years old, recently changed from regular Comcast to X1 and I cannot read the guide from my normal distance.  I signed a 2 year contract, but this is a deal breaker and I may just switch to U-Verse.  I cannot read the guide from normal distance where I could previously.  Why isn't Comcast doing something about this longterm known issue.  Saying you noted it, isn't dong anything about it.