Community Forum

Font too small on the X1 Guide Channel

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Too small guide letters and black background on guide.

Someone locked down the thread... Oh well...

@TerriB wrote:

BRIEF HYJACK....something happened to the forum title  'Slow Motion Replay-Lost."  The reply button at the top is shaded out and there is no way to reply to any message. I know there was some heated discussion going on between two users but thats no reason to close the discussion. Anyone have a clue? Many of you are on that thread such as .....gotpizza and Rick

Regular Visitor

Re: Font too small on the X1 Guide Channel

I too recently subscribed and can't read guide. Very frustrating. Hopefully this will get corrected very soon. I can't read guide unless i stand in front of TV.
Gold Problem Solver

Send ComcastBrandon a private message with your concerns...

@Staynbusy wrote:
I too recently subscribed and can't read guide. Very frustrating. Hopefully this will get corrected very soon. I can't read guide unless i stand in front of TV.

Most Valued Poster

@RickGr4 wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

BRIEF HYJACK....something happened to the forum title  'Slow Motion Replay-Lost."  The reply button at the top is shaded out and there is no way to reply to any message. I know there was some heated discussion going on between two users but thats no reason to close the discussion. Anyone have a clue? Many of you are on that thread such as .....gotpizza and Rick

Well boo on that. Maybe thats Comcast's way of saying we are NOT going to get Slo Mo back...lol

Most Valued Poster

When I messaged Comcast Brandon with my account and contact info about this issue  as he requested in this thread  below is his response. PLEASE help with input to him as it appears we may be getting somewhere. HELP those of us who need to be able to adjust the font...PLEASE

From Brandon: "I have added your account information as well as your specific requests to the report. Tell your friends! The larger the report the more noise we make in the engineers' drawing room."

Most Valued Poster

ComcastBrandon is building a case for the engineers to give us capability to change font size on guide and show/movie information.

Refer to this for more info and click on his name to message him: http://forums.comcast.com/t5/X1/Too-small-guide-letters-and-black-background-on-guide/td-p/2305777

When I messaged Comcast Brandon with my account and contact info about this issue  as he requested in this thread  below is his response. PLEASE help with input to him as it appears we may be getting somewhere. HELP those of us who need to be able to adjust the font...PLEASE

From Brandon: "I have added your account information as well as your specific requests to the report. Tell your friends! The larger the report the more noise we make in the engineers' drawing room."

Problem Solver

@TerriB wrote:

To be quite honest with you I don't have your issue with the font but I have to really admire your persistence.  Good for you.

Fred

Problem Solver

@TerriB wrote:

@RickGr4 wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

Well boo on that. Maybe thats Comcast's way of saying we are NOT going to get Slo Mo back...lol

There is another thread on slow mo.

Regular Visitor

Hi Brandon:
Options
‎09-24-2014 01:23 AM

Gold Problem Solver

Please send Brandon an email with your concerns...

@Staynbusy wrote:
Hi Brandon:
Options

Expert

@Staynbusy wrote:
Hi Brandon:
Options

What size TV are you using? How far away are you sitting from the screen? Is there overhead or window light hitting the screen?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Gold Problem Solver

Rustyben,

I have been all over the screen size vs. viewing distance issue of the guide font size issue in other threads. I even went to the trouble of measuring fonts sizes on the screen and comparing it to the legacy guide. The people who are having issues with this do not agree with the screen size vs. viewing distance  theory and some are offended by the thought of it.

I happen to think this IS a viewing distance vs. screen size issue along with picture settings and age of the TV. But there is a group of people who passionately disagree. We can provide all the evidence and proof we want. This group of people simply does not agree. Let's not offend them any further by rehashing this issue.

@Rustyben wrote:

@Staynbusy wrote:
Hi Brandon:
Options

What size TV are you using? How far away are you sitting from the screen? Is there overhead or window light hitting the screen?

Most Valued Poster

@Rustyben wrote:

@Staynbusy wrote:
Hi Brandon:
Options

Can we please stop interrogating  each about tv size/distance/glare,etc when it comes to the font size needs. Have we not proven on several threads on this subject after measuring and testing distance  and changing backgrounds,etc time and time again that none of the 'specifics' make a bit of difference? The old horse needs a rest and I should know since I resurrected it enough times.. Bottom line from an ever growing number of  customers especially those just getting X1 is that we need font adjustment option. I will repeat one more time; if you are happy with your font bless you but for the rest of us please do not undermine our progress toward getting this fixed.
Most Valued Poster

My thanks to Andrew and Fred for giving me the recent kudos on my last post.

Highlighted
Problem Solver

@TerriB wrote:

My thanks to Andrew and Fred for giving me the recent kudos on my last post.

Terri I loved the part of the dead horse.  Having a rough day needed the chuckle.  I agree that the tv size has been well beyond used.  Time to get it done and move on.  Obvious enough people are effected lets get this done. 

Fred

Problem Solver

WORD TO YOUR MOTHER!

Problem Solver

Yes, as Terri states I am collecting data for the engineers regarding X1 Guide Font Size.  Please use this thread to discuss that topic.

For slow mo discussions, we already have a thread open for a discussion this topic:

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/X1/Slow-Motion-Replay-Lost/td-p/2296295

The moderators on this forum will post in the above thread when we hear updates regarding this issue.   Comcast is aware of the demand for this feature and is working on adding it back in future firmware updates.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee.
I no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions
may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered?
Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Problem Solver

Thank you for getting rid of outdated threads..Now maybe I will wake up to only 30 emails not 60!!!

Problem Solver

Thank you StaynBusy I have added your information to my report. 

Most Valued Poster

@fpirelli wrote:

Terri I loved the part of the dead horse.  Having a rough day needed the chuckle.  I agree that the tv size has been well beyond used.  Time to get it done and move on.  Obvious enough people are effected lets get this done. 

Fred

Fred, I have been told by friends I missed my calling as a stand up comic but just for you guys I will be in the lounge all this week and next week. Free admission too.
New Poster

I SO agree! Using Dish I had no problems reading he guide. This guide, especially where it is blue on black, is beyond terrible!
Most Valued Poster

@Dahlia115 wrote:
I SO agree! Using Dish I had no problems reading he guide. This guide, especially where it is blue on black, is beyond terrible!
----------------------------
Welcome to the ever growing group of those of us who NEED option to change font. Please see message 18 in this thread and provide ComcastBrandon with your information

Problem Solver

Thank you Dahlia.  I have added your info to my report.  Thank you for letting me know

Brandon

Regular Contributor

We just got X1 a couple of weeks ago.   I could not agree more about the font size.  I also quit using the X1 Closed Caption option and went back to the TV closed caption.  The X1 misses a lot of dialog and when it tries to catch up the words stay on the screen for maybe a half a second.  Can you tell I'm a senior citizen and have a hearing problem!  Overall, we are very happy with X1 for the first couple of weeks.  Oh, did I forget to mention we apparently lost our Favorite List in the last day.  When I tried to pull up the favorite list GUIDE - GUIDE - STAR, I was presented with a hint on how to add favorites.  When I went to the standard guide and picked a channel we had on the list and marked it as a favorite, I could then go to the favorite guide and saw just the one channel. 

Valued Contributor

I can't believe all of the discussion regarding font size.  IMHO, if you want the font size bigger, get a bigger TV!
My son loaned me a 32" LCD TV to use until I get the FBU board that I sent out for repair back and installed. This temporary measure is necessary since my wife and I are TV addicts. Even with the much smaller screen, I still have no difficulty reading the menus for 12' away.  I am 75 and my eyeglasses prescription is up to date.  Check the link below for a photo:

http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj628/jehill39/KDL55XBR8%20every%206th%20line%20dark/IMG_0241_zp...

Problem Solver

Thank you Walt

I appreciate your concern.  Your information and suggestions have been added to my report.  Thank you for your contribution.

The list is growing!  But we'll need more user on the list to make a real difference.  Send your friends!

Brandon

Gold Problem Solver

Brandon,

I hope you realize this entire exercise is ridiculous and unnecessary. The members of this forum should not be required to "sell" Comcast on this issue. Comcast should certainly know by now and understand how important this is. Nobody should be required to create a business case on this issue.

The original X1 guide had the ability to adjust guide font size. But we were forced to stop using the original guide. I contend this is because Comcast "bought" the original guide and they are developing the new guide in house.

This is a perfect example of why Comcast has the well deserved reputation as being one of the worst customer service companies in the USA.

You have mentioned that you are "compiling a report for your supervisors". Why don't you make this easy and give your supervisors my contact information... I would be happy to provide any and all details they require...

@ComcastBrandon wrote:

Thank you Walt

I appreciate your concern.  Your information and suggestions have been added to my report.  Thank you for your contribution.

The list is growing!  But we'll need more user on the list to make a real difference.  Send your friends!

Brandon

Most Valued Poster

@jehill wrote:

I can't believe all of the discussion regarding font size.  IMHO, if you want the font size bigger, get a bigger TV!
My son loaned me a 32" LCD TV to use until I get the FBU board that I sent out for repair back and installed. This temporary measure is necessary since my wife and I are TV addicts. Even with the much smaller screen, I still have no difficulty reading the menus for 12' away.  I am 75 and my eyeglasses prescription is up to date.  Check the link below for a photo:

http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj628/jehill39/KDL55XBR8%20every%206th%20line%20dark/IMG_0241_zp...

Sorry but you are way off the mark on this one. Larger TV does NOT fix the problem. We have users on these forums with huge sets who cannot read the show info window.   Its an accessibiity issue and needs to be addressed and is very important to a large group of us on the forums and more and more as customers change to X1.

Those who are happy with their font size should just enjoy it and not get into it with those of us who are having problems. There is no value added by what you said. Its not  a problem for you so why interject?

Valued Contributor

All positive responses with feedback and suggestions are definitely appreciated. The font size is a community issue which a number of customers have an issue with, I can agree that getting a larger television will not solve the issue, we need a firmware push to allow the change to become an option again. Thanks folks for those responses, keep em coming be sure to provide Brandon with details. 

Problem Solver

I have an a idea, way not just allow the original x1 guide to be placed on boxes until it can be figured out. I myself would love to have my 7 lines of guide to return! 

Most Valued Poster

@gotpizza wrote:

I have an a idea, way not just allow the original x1 guide to be placed on boxes until it can be figured out. I myself would love to have my 7 lines of guide to return! 

Not a bad idea at all. By the way this thread was closed due to original issue supposedly being answered and  I disagreed so I pushed back and got it re opened. I was very happy that they listened to me.

New Poster

@TerriB wrote:

Not a bad idea at all. By the way this thread was closed due to original issue supposedly being answered and  I disagreed so I pushed back and got it re opened. I was very happy that they listened to me.

Thank you, TerriB, for pushing back.  There was certainly no solution offered by Comcast, or anyone else.

Gold Problem Solver

I am guessing that Comcast's license to use the original guide has expired and if they put it back in circulation it would cost them a fortune and probably land them in court.

@gotpizza wrote:

Silver Problem Solver

Rick,

Why would it be expired?  Aren't there tons and tons of legacy boxes with the "old" guide?

@RickGr4 wrote:

I am guessing that Comcast's license to use the original guide has expired and if they put it back in circulation it would cost them a fortune and probably land them in court.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Official Employee

Rick,

Why would it be expired? Aren't there tons and tons of legacy boxes with the "old" guide?

I believe Rick is referring to the original X1 guide, not the guide that's currently on Legacy equipment

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Problem Solver

here is a link to a guy who is still able to get it for the xod portion.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29549636-X1-X2-Old-X1-Guide-Appears

Most Valued Poster

@gotpizza wrote:

here is a link to a guy who is still able to get it for the xod portion.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29549636-X1-X2-Old-X1-Guide-Appears

That is very interesting but unfortunately unless we live in the Orlando area we can't check that out. and if I have a similar channel I would not know where to look.  If the old guide is 'baked' in the box like you said on DSL forum why can't they just pull coding out and program into the new guide.  Our Comcast rep forum friends talk about engineers having to change things. I think it just needs programmers' talents. I was a telcom network design engineer and our purpose was to work with  programmers  to input them with  what the customers needed/wanted and they figured out how to code it. It was all about the customer...what a unique thought process.   Comcast engineers should do same and provide programmers with a list of prioritized needs  and include some that are actually useful.  I have never seen anything discussed/requested for some of the 'enhancements' they have made in recent months so I wonder where they got the requests and why they took features away at the same time they added some. Much of what they have added is fluff IMHO.

New Poster

You can count me amoung those who find the guide difficult to read. It bugs my eyes out.

I'm not sure if the problem is the font size per se or some other aspect such as contrast as some have suggested.

I think thicker, bolder lettering and perhaps changing color are things that may help.

Problem Solver

Thank you John

I have added your comments to my report.

Regular Contributor

It seems I have resurrected a known problem.  If I may add a couple of other suggestions for enhancements.

1) In X1, once you select your favorite list for the guide view, keep it until I select the full guide list.  I realize prior to X1, the problem was the same.  You had to keep selecting your favorite list every time you asked to see the channel lineup.

2) Prior to X1, I was able to page back below the lowest channel in the guide. In effect a revolving wheel back or forward.  Now, if I am on challel 2, I cannot page backward to the highest channel.  This is a real pain if I want to see the movie channels that are typically high in the list, with the exception of Encore. I know you can always type the channel, and it will take you to that area of the guide, but a simple page back is much easier.

Expert

@walt_pittsburgh wrote:

It seems I have resurrected a known problem.  If I may add a couple of other suggestions for enhancements.

1) In X1, once you select your favorite list for the guide view, keep it until I select the full guide list.  I realize prior to X1, the problem was the same.  You had to keep selecting your favorite list every time you asked to see the channel lineup.

2) Prior to X1, I was able to page back below the lowest channel in the guide. In effect a revolving wheel back or forward.  Now, if I am on challel 2, I cannot page backward to the highest channel.  This is a real pain if I want to see the movie channels that are typically high in the list, with the exception of Encore. I know you can always type the channel, and it will take you to that area of the guide, but a simple page back is much easier.

re: #2, what version of xre (Gear>about) is your X1 box.. Mine is 1.45.06 and it keeps favorite chans just like you ask.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Problem Solver

@walt_pittsburgh wrote:

Walt in a recent survey I took , the question about the "rollover guide" was brought up! So with that said they Know it is an issue now! Many questions were asked about the guide, recording procedure, and xod. I believe they are looking into revamping the whole thing. As an eta on that , only Comcast would know!

Regular Contributor

Where do I find the version number? X1 system just installed 2 weeks ago. Thanks to all for your input.
Silver Problem Solver

The Gear Icon (Settings) when you press the red xfinity button on the remote.  Then go to About.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Contributor

Running same version as you, and it shows updated on Sept 18, 2014 which is 2 days after initial X1 installation.  Just so we are clear about favorites, I am not losing my favorite list, I just have to keep selecting it when I go to the guide.  Although, I did see a couple of times the first push of the GUIDE did show favorites only, but I have not seen this happening for several days.  And as I mentioned in an earlier post, I did lose my favorite list completely about a week ago.  I did not reprogram it for 2 or 3 days to see if it would come back, and finally entered the 75 or so channels again as favorites.

As far as the rollerball effect on the guide, I thought the "autotune to HD" may have had something to do with it, but it did not make a difference.  We only "autotune to HD" on one TV.

Most Valued Poster

@RobertWy wrote:

The Gear Icon (Settings) when you press the red xfinity button on the remote.  Then go to About.

Or you can use the yellow 'A' triangle to get to 'about'

UPDATE WITH 1.45.07...The 'A' triaiangle only gives 'help' now.

New Poster

So does anyone actually know if anything is going to happen on the this terrible guide? I just switched to Xfinity TV and I hate to think this will send me back to Dish, but it probably will!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Problem Solver

I do my best try to help folks on here everyday, but it would be wrong for me say that x1 is better than hopper. I had the hopper, it is one of the best DVRs ever made. It is hard say when Comcast will overhaul their guide, but one would think it is long over due. Most of the people that would say they are happy with it, never had the hopper..
New Poster

We switched to X1 at the end of August. Very unhappy with the guide...it's pretty basic to be able to customize the font size and colors. Disappointed that this is not an option. And as many others have posted, the screen size does not help and shouldn't even matter anyway.  I hope to see updates on this very soon. 

Problem Solver

Sonoma

I appreciate your concern regarding font size on the X1 Guide.  You have been added to my report.

Thank you

Brandon