Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Fast Forward No Longer Smooth

Valued Contributor

Fast Forward No Longer Smooth

For the last two days, both of my DVRs (xg1-v4) which had very smooth fast forward in all speeds, is now choppy, like individual frames in speeds 2, 3 and 4.

I'm in South Florida.

Accepted Solutions
Valued Contributor

Re: Fast Forward No Longer Smooth - RESOLVED

I wrote this to the Comcast reps here on this forum:

Hi JoeTru and Teds-

A rep contacted me on Monday by phone.  Online, both of you reached out through this forum to help with the FF choppiness.  

On Monday night, part of the 1800 homes in our community lost service for about two hours.  When the service returned about 9PM, the problem NO LONGER existed.  I don't know if this was in any way related to the problem I experienced, and I surely hope my neighbors don't find out it was my problem that disconnected them for two hours.  Smiley Happy

Either way, I have to commend you for the speed at which this problem was addressed and corrected.  

Thank you to you all for this fine customer service.

Lee

All Replies
Expert

Re: Fast Forward No Longer Smooth

You could try a reboot of the v4 and a re-pairing of the remote.

Valued Contributor

I've done a system refresh, reset the remotes and CS went through both from their end.  We had awful rain on Tuesday, which is when this started.  Tech is due today.  Most times, LIVE TV plays FF smoothly, sometimes not.  Recorded material in FF is stuttered frames.

Contributor

please let us know of the outcome

Valued Contributor

Tech just left, saw what I was talking about, but did not see any problems with signal quality.

It's frustrating when the problem is subtle (although with this present issue, very rough on the eyes.)

Expert

@LeeSoFL wrote:

For the last two days, both of my DVRs (xg1-v4) which had very smooth fast forward in all speeds, is now choppy, like individual frames in speeds 2, 3 and 4.

I'm in South Florida.

record or watch a 'just' recorded show. FF should be fine. the cloud DVR recordings are streamed from the cloud DVR (verify by hitting the OK button while playing and note the white cloud icon in front of the letters "DVR"). 

Valued Contributor

I tried that, and there was no indication of cloud related playback.  Every program recorded showed only "DVR."  What I did find is that broadcast network's shows recorded on DVR, had smooth FF on all speeds.  Almost all other channels like HBO, CNN, MSNBC, HGTV, etc (which also list as DVR, not cloud) had choppy, skipped frame FF on x2, x3 and x4.  The first press on any playback is always smooth and "glidey."

This whole thing was very similar to Xfinity DVR startup about five years ago.  When you had more than one DVR in the house, somehow they weren't communicating well with eachother, and the symptom was exactly like I'm having now.  I even disconnected one DVR but it didn't correct the choppy Fast Forward.

Expert

I have escalated your issue to the Comcast Team available to these forums. Check back often for a reply in this thread from a Comcast Official Employee.

Valued Contributor

Thank you.

Official Employee

Hello LeeSoFL. Our next step is going to be to swap out your DVR. I can assist with this. Please send me a private message and include your full name, service address, and account number so I can assist you. 

Valued Contributor

Re: Fast Forward No Longer Smooth - RESOLVED

I wrote this to the Comcast reps here on this forum:

Hi JoeTru and Teds-

A rep contacted me on Monday by phone.  Online, both of you reached out through this forum to help with the FF choppiness.  

On Monday night, part of the 1800 homes in our community lost service for about two hours.  When the service returned about 9PM, the problem NO LONGER existed.  I don't know if this was in any way related to the problem I experienced, and I surely hope my neighbors don't find out it was my problem that disconnected them for two hours.  Smiley Happy

Either way, I have to commend you for the speed at which this problem was addressed and corrected.  

Thank you to you all for this fine customer service.

Lee