Community Forum

FIFA soccer games broadcast in 4K but in stereo only?

Frequent Visitor

FIFA soccer games broadcast in 4K but in stereo only?

I am watching  he USWNST match vs. France in 4K.  I couldn’t believe when I realized the sound was terrible...it appears it’s only being broadcast in 2.0 Stereo.  I checked my Denin receiver thinking something was wrong, but nothing appeared out of the norm.  When I switched back to Fox in 1080, the sound was restored to 5.1.

Whats going on?  Is Xfinity trying to save bandwidth by sending the 4K picture with only 2.0 audio?  My X1v4 box is set to expert mode...I tried the Auto detect mode, and it made no difference.  

Expert

Re: FIFA soccer games broadcast in 4K but in stereo only?

@amnlupiano wrote:

I am watching  he USWNST match vs. France in 4K.  I couldn’t believe when I realized the sound was terrible...it appears it’s only being broadcast in 2.0 Stereo.  I checked my Denin receiver thinking something was wrong, but nothing appeared out of the norm.  When I switched back to Fox in 1080, the sound was restored to 5.1.

Whats going on?  Is Xfinity trying to save bandwidth by sending the 4K picture with only 2.0 audio?  My X1v4 box is set to expert mode...I tried the Auto detect mode, and it made no difference.  

1>   If you are not using a correct type of HDMI cable capable of 4K (video & audio) signals you could be downgraded for either.

2>   FOX channels have always been 720p or 420p output depending on shows.

3>   Some brands of HDMI cables may not carry all the frequencies required for both 4K and 5.1 or better surround sound. You get what you pay for with TV's audio systems.

So far no complaints like yours found here.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

I (thought) I was using a quality HDMI cable, but it may be an issue.  I interestingly, when I watch the games on Demand, the picture is 4K and the sound is 5.1.  It’s almost as if the 4K picture consumes all available bandwidth when being broadcast live.  Nevertheless, I will try to swap HDMI cable to see if that changes anything.  

Frequent Visitor

So, I installed a new, 4K certified HDMI cable...and it still doesn’t work.  As a test, I watched several 4K programs on demand...all broadcast in 4K with a 5.1 soundtrack.   I even rewatched the FIFA 4K soccer games...they all broadcast in 5.1

So, whatever the issue is, it seems to be an issue with Xfinity and how they are broadcasting the 4K program.  

Expert

@amnlupiano wrote:

So, I installed a new, 4K certified HDMI cable...and it still doesn’t work.  As a test, I watched several 4K programs on demand...all broadcast in 4K with a 5.1 soundtrack.   I even rewatched the FIFA 4K soccer games...they all broadcast in 5.1

So, whatever the issue is, it seems to be an issue with Xfinity and how they are broadcasting the 4K program.  

I cannot use the 4K DVR to watch the soccer in 4K, but I can tell you the soccer game is televised over local FOX channel in 720p and in D.D. audio 5.2. I get the same signal whether watching over Comcast cable or over the air.  My television shows video and audio signals it receives. The rear surround speakers are outputting at a lower volume than the front speakers. It seems the setup for pickup of audio in the stadium is the problem. Not a Comcast cable problem.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Fox is broadcasting all the FIFA matches in native 4K in addition to “standard” hi-def.  What you are seeing is correct...the standard HD channel is coming across with the 5.1 sound track.  It’s when you select the 4K Fox broadcast that the issue is seen...only 2.1. If you watch the match after it ends on demand, the 5.1 signal is present...it’s only when live. 

Expert

@amnlupiano wrote:

Fox is broadcasting all the FIFA matches in native 4K in addition to “standard” hi-def.  What you are seeing is correct...the standard HD channel is coming across with the 5.1 sound track.  It’s when you select the 4K Fox broadcast that the issue is seen...only 2.1. If you watch the match after it ends on demand, the 5.1 signal is present...it’s only when live. 

Maybe other people watching in 4K were just happy to see the matches "live" in 4K. They may have ignored the audio and have not complained here.