Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

External Hard Drive Support for X1 DVRs (discussion)

Contributor

External Hard Drive Support for X1 DVRs (discussion)

Moved from Service & Equipment thread discussion on this feature with legacy DVRs. 
JaySinCT wrote:
Ted,

I think I covered this before.  I understand the movement toward Cloud useage.  I understand access to DVR'd programming across the net (assuming you have the bandwidth where you are), etc.  However the cost comparison for straight up storage of say a 1TB drive and enclosure vs. monthly add on charges for something that is already inherenting expensive doesn't make for an appealing equation.

Even more so because a premium is usually paid for X1 users as we watch the older technology box GET the very thing X1 users have to wait even further for (if it really is in the plan as you suggest).  Isn't that somewhat backward?  The X1 box is far newer technology, very programmable, etc.  I would think if you can get it working on the much older Motorola boxes that turning a feature which seems, in fact, to already be built in, would be relatively easy.  The flag is already there.. one can see it in diagnostics..

Jay S.
__________________________________________________________________________________
Hi, Jay and ComcastTeds,
I wanted to give a hearty "me too!" to Jay's comments about X1 and the cloud. (I know this is not the X1 forum, but a lot of X1 content seems to creep in...)
Jay, thank you for summarizing it so well. I have been in and around computers since since the late 70s (dinosaur), and the term "cloud" has been around forever. It's really nothing new. In the current (2014) context, it just mean "leave your stuff at somebody else's house (and hope that he's home when you want your stuff, he doesn't move away, or his house doesn't burn down, etc.)". Although our Comcast internet service is pretty good, it DOES have glitches and slowdowns (which would be JUST at the exciting part of my favorite movie, right?) A four terabyte external disk can be had from Costco for just over $100! Why would anyone choose cloud service?
Having said all that: at the moment, I would give in and use cloud service - if it were available! (I live in California, in a small town near Stockton.)
We got rid of our last two SDTVs a few months ago, and now we have three nice new HDTVs to use. However, we wind up watching (and recording) everything in SD because there is so little storage space!
 
Teds:
I do want to thank you for all your efforts to answer everyone's questions, and even sending refreshes to people's DVRs where needed. I'm sure that if you were in charge, the ext. disk fatures for X1 would already be activated!!
Especially if Comcast is unable to offer cloud service to a particular area, they should at least activate the Ext. HD features. In fact, all X1 users should always have this option; if your cloud service is really good and competitive, people will use it because they want to (not becuase Comcast forces them to!)
These problems are enough to make ME consider moving to another recording platform (e.g. TiVo, Hauppage, etc.), which doesn't restrict my storage. I'm sure you can see how this is really not a good situation for Comcast.
A couple questions for you:
(1) Is there a particular forum or post that I should follow in order to get the latest information on the X1 issues? (i.e. something not in the "Motorola/SciAtlanta" area?  :-)
(2) If it's a matter of "nagging" someone to convince them they need to activate the ext HD stuff for X1, who would you suggest we need to contact? (I know, that's probably something you could get in trouble for answering!!) Would it be someone at the upper California levels, like Bryan Byrd?
http://comcastcalifornia.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=65
Or should we be targeting someone closer to the top, in Philadelphia, like Brian L. Roberts, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Comcast Corporation? (Does he accept emails, I wonder?)
(3) I have been told recently by Comcast techs that even having a second HD DVR in a system is not an option. Supposedly, your software simply is not set up to accommodate two HD DVR machines; the two will fight each other for authorization and configuration info, and ultimately one or both will require a factory-reset (blowing out ALL recordings!) Is this your understanding as well?
Thanks,
gb

 

Official Employee

External Hard Drive Support for X1 DVRs (discussion)


gb2K wrote:

JaySinCT wrote:
Ted,

I think I covered this before.  I understand the movement toward Cloud useage.  I understand access to DVR'd programming across the net (assuming you have the bandwidth where you are), etc.  However the cost comparison for straight up storage of say a 1TB drive and enclosure vs. monthly add on charges for something that is already inherenting expensive doesn't make for an appealing equation.

Even more so because a premium is usually paid for X1 users as we watch the older technology box GET the very thing X1 users have to wait even further for (if it really is in the plan as you suggest).  Isn't that somewhat backward?  The X1 box is far newer technology, very programmable, etc.  I would think if you can get it working on the much older Motorola boxes that turning a feature which seems, in fact, to already be built in, would be relatively easy.  The flag is already there.. one can see it in diagnostics..

Jay S.
__________________________________________________________________________________
Hi, Jay and ComcastTeds,
I wanted to give a hearty "me too!" to Jay's comments about X1 and the cloud. (I know this is not the X1 forum, but a lot of X1 content seems to creep in...)
Jay, thank you for summarizing it so well. I have been in and around computers since since the late 70s (dinosaur), and the term "cloud" has been around forever. It's really nothing new. In the current (2014) context, it just mean "leave your stuff at somebody else's house (and hope that he's home when you want your stuff, he doesn't move away, or his house doesn't burn down, etc.)". Although our Comcast internet service is pretty good, it DOES have glitches and slowdowns (which would be JUST at the exciting part of my favorite movie, right?) A four terabyte external disk can be had from Costco for just over $100! Why would anyone choose cloud service?
Having said all that: at the moment, I would give in and use cloud service - if it were available! (I live in California, in a small town near Stockton.)
We got rid of our last two SDTVs a few months ago, and now we have three nice new HDTVs to use. However, we wind up watching (and recording) everything in SD because there is so little storage space!
 
Teds:
I do want to thank you for all your efforts to answer everyone's questions, and even sending refreshes to people's DVRs where needed. I'm sure that if you were in charge, the ext. disk fatures for X1 would already be activated!!
Especially if Comcast is unable to offer cloud service to a particular area, they should at least activate the Ext. HD features. In fact, all X1 users should always have this option; if your cloud service is really good and competitive, people will use it because they want to (not becuase Comcast forces them to!)
These problems are enough to make ME consider moving to another recording platform (e.g. TiVo, Hauppage, etc.), which doesn't restrict my storage. I'm sure you can see how this is really not a good situation for Comcast.
A couple questions for you:
(1) Is there a particular forum or post that I should follow in order to get the latest information on the X1 issues? (i.e. something not in the "Motorola/SciAtlanta" area?  :-)
(2) If it's a matter of "nagging" someone to convince them they need to activate the ext HD stuff for X1, who would you suggest we need to contact? (I know, that's probably something you could get in trouble for answering!!) Would it be someone at the upper California levels, like Bryan Byrd?
http://comcastcalifornia.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=65
Or should we be targeting someone closer to the top, in Philadelphia, like Brian L. Roberts, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Comcast Corporation? (Does he accept emails, I wonder?)
(3) I have been told recently by Comcast techs that even having a second HD DVR in a system is not an option. Supposedly, your software simply is not set up to accommodate two HD DVR machines; the two will fight each other for authorization and configuration info, and ultimately one or both will require a factory-reset (blowing out ALL recordings!) Is this your understanding as well?
Thanks,
gb

 


Thanks for sharing your feedback and your kind words. 

 

With our X1 platform, our intent is to be able to use the cloud for DVR recordings in more and more areas this year. In many areas, the X1 Experience already has a cloud DVR opportunity where individual DVR recordings are not stored on the in-home device. This cloud DVR experience would really negate the need for a limited and physically in-the-home external hard drive and all boxes could be AnyRoom DVRs.

 

Plus the opportunity to retain your DVR recordings should you move or you need to replace the DVR. And the opportunity to access and playback your recordings from any internet-enabled device.

 

The packaging strategy for additional storage space for X1 devices has not yet been announced.

 

Enabling the e-SATA port on the X1 platform for external hard drives is on the X1 product roadmap. There have not been timelines announced publicly for that specific feature.

 

I have shared your feedback above directly with our X1 Product Management team. There are a few threads on Cloud DVR over in our X1 Forum that I know the X1 team is looking at regularly, you can also start up a new thread on External Hard Drives in the X1 Forum.  http://forums.comcast.com/t5/X1/bd-p/X1

 

You can have up to three separate true DVRs on your account with the X1 Platform. 


Thanks again for your patience and feedback as we continue to work to improve the experience.

Contributor

External Hard Drive Support for X1 DVRs (discussion)


ComcastTeds wrote:

 


Thanks for sharing your feedback and your kind words. 

 

...

 

You can have up to three separate true DVRs on your account with the X1 Platform. 


Hi Teds,

Thanks for your further explanations, your "escalation" of my issues to the X1 team, and the links pointing me to a better place.

 

Even though this is still not the right forum (!), would you mind expanding a bit on the topic of having TWO HDDVRs in the same system? That would be ONE way of quickly doubling the available storage space!

 

As it happens, I just moved in February to Sonora, about 300 miles from where I was (Lompoc). My wife had moved to the new location first, so we already had Comcast service (including an HDDVR) in our new location. Because moving was so hectic, I wound up packing my boxes and taking them with me (I still had some content on the DVR that I thought I might want to watch.) So I actually have a second DVR on hand. Both units are the same physical hardware, Model # PX001ANM (Pace), Part # C704338400. Comcast has just now started bugging me about returning everything.

 

I had Comcast techs come out a couple weeks ago, because we were having problems with both AnyRoom DVR and phone functions (they replaced the router, or "Dory" as they like to call them.) At that time, I asked them about installing my second DVR. They stated firmly (and by "they", at one point there were THREE techs here!) that the Comcast system would not support more than one HDDVR on a router (which is where I got the information in my original question.) They mentioned one client they had who lived nearby, who did have 2 HDDVRs in her house. They claimed that they had to go out there every week or so, and had to do factory-resets on both DVRs in order to get them working again (which, of course, destroys all your recordings.) They mused to each other that they wondered why this client insisted on having this setup.

 

Ted, I'm sure you're aware that the training and quality of Comcast field techs... well, I'll just be nice and say that it "varies widely"! It's entirely possible that these guys did not what they were talking about (I understand that Comcast mostly uses contractors to provide service in my area.) I'm sure that I'm TECHNICALLY completely capable of installing a second unit; I just don't know whether you could set up the software on your side for me, or whether it might involve some processes that are proprietary for Comcast and that they therefore would not want to share with me.

 

(1) Could you work with ME on setting up the second unit, as I described above?

 

(2) Is there some way that you could tell ME what is involved in the process of properly installing a second HDDVR, so that I could pass that information along to the tech who would show up to do the install?

 

(3) Is there a department you work with who could manage this from the "top down", and make sure that the person who ultimately comes out to install the second unit has the appropriate information? I do not want a factory-reset to occur on EITHER machine!! (Comcast techs are "trigger-happy" in this regard. In the location I lived before (Lompoc), I somehow had a "legacy" Motorola STB with a Pace HDDVR. The old box somehow lost its config, and Comcast said that they needed to replace the old box with an X1 STB. In order to get AnyRoom DVR working for me, they did a factory reset on my DVR!!! They didn't even ask me first!)

 

==============================

Let me know if you think it would be more appropriate for you to discuss this further with me via email or PM.

 

gb

Official Employee

Re: External Hard Drive Support for X1 DVRs (discussion)


gb2K wrote:

ComcastTeds wrote:

 


Thanks for sharing your feedback and your kind words. 

 

...

 

You can have up to three separate true DVRs on your account with the X1 Platform. 


Hi Teds,

Thanks for your further explanations, your "escalation" of my issues to the X1 team, and the links pointing me to a better place.

 

Even though this is still not the right forum (!), would you mind expanding a bit on the topic of having TWO HDDVRs in the same system? That would be ONE way of quickly doubling the available storage space!

 

As it happens, I just moved in February to Sonora, about 300 miles from where I was (Lompoc). My wife had moved to the new location first, so we already had Comcast service (including an HDDVR) in our new location. Because moving was so hectic, I wound up packing my boxes and taking them with me (I still had some content on the DVR that I thought I might want to watch.) So I actually have a second DVR on hand. Both units are the same physical hardware, Model # PX001ANM (Pace), Part # C704338400. Comcast has just now started bugging me about returning everything.

 

I had Comcast techs come out a couple weeks ago, because we were having problems with both AnyRoom DVR and phone functions (they replaced the router, or "Dory" as they like to call them.) At that time, I asked them about installing my second DVR. They stated firmly (and by "they", at one point there were THREE techs here!) that the Comcast system would not support more than one HDDVR on a router (which is where I got the information in my original question.) They mentioned one client they had who lived nearby, who did have 2 HDDVRs in her house. They claimed that they had to go out there every week or so, and had to do factory-resets on both DVRs in order to get them working again (which, of course, destroys all your recordings.) They mused to each other that they wondered why this client insisted on having this setup.

 

Ted, I'm sure you're aware that the training and quality of Comcast field techs... well, I'll just be nice and say that it "varies widely"! It's entirely possible that these guys did not what they were talking about (I understand that Comcast mostly uses contractors to provide service in my area.) I'm sure that I'm TECHNICALLY completely capable of installing a second unit; I just don't know whether you could set up the software on your side for me, or whether it might involve some processes that are proprietary for Comcast and that they therefore would not want to share with me.

 

(1) Could you work with ME on setting up the second unit, as I described above?

 

(2) Is there some way that you could tell ME what is involved in the process of properly installing a second HDDVR, so that I could pass that information along to the tech who would show up to do the install?

 

(3) Is there a department you work with who could manage this from the "top down", and make sure that the person who ultimately comes out to install the second unit has the appropriate information? I do not want a factory-reset to occur on EITHER machine!! (Comcast techs are "trigger-happy" in this regard. In the location I lived before (Lompoc), I somehow had a "legacy" Motorola STB with a Pace HDDVR. The old box somehow lost its config, and Comcast said that they needed to replace the old box with an X1 STB. In order to get AnyRoom DVR working for me, they did a factory reset on my DVR!!! They didn't even ask me first!)

 

==============================

Let me know if you think it would be more appropriate for you to discuss this further with me via email or PM.

 

gb


I went ahead and moved this part of the thread over to the X1 section and retitled this thread.

 

Let me talk with our California team and get you set up with what you are looking to do. Thanks for your patience.  

 

 

Regular Contributor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for X1 DVRs (discussion)


ComcastTeds wrote:

gb2K wrote:

JaySinCT wrote:
Ted,

I think I covered this before.  I understand the movement toward Cloud useage.  I understand access to DVR'd programming across the net (assuming you have the bandwidth where you are), etc.  However the cost comparison for straight up storage of say a 1TB drive and enclosure vs. monthly add on charges for something that is already inherenting expensive doesn't make for an appealing equation.

Even more so because a premium is usually paid for X1 users as we watch the older technology box GET the very thing X1 users have to wait even further for (if it really is in the plan as you suggest).  Isn't that somewhat backward?  The X1 box is far newer technology, very programmable, etc.  I would think if you can get it working on the much older Motorola boxes that turning a feature which seems, in fact, to already be built in, would be relatively easy.  The flag is already there.. one can see it in diagnostics..

Jay S.
__________________________________________________________________________________
Hi, Jay and ComcastTeds,
I wanted to give a hearty "me too!" to Jay's comments about X1 and the cloud. (I know this is not the X1 forum, but a lot of X1 content seems to creep in...)
Jay, thank you for summarizing it so well. I have been in and around computers since since the late 70s (dinosaur), and the term "cloud" has been around forever. It's really nothing new. In the current (2014) context, it just mean "leave your stuff at somebody else's house (and hope that he's home when you want your stuff, he doesn't move away, or his house doesn't burn down, etc.)". Although our Comcast internet service is pretty good, it DOES have glitches and slowdowns (which would be JUST at the exciting part of my favorite movie, right?) A four terabyte external disk can be had from Costco for just over $100! Why would anyone choose cloud service?
Having said all that: at the moment, I would give in and use cloud service - if it were available! (I live in California, in a small town near Stockton.)
We got rid of our last two SDTVs a few months ago, and now we have three nice new HDTVs to use. However, we wind up watching (and recording) everything in SD because there is so little storage space!
 
Teds:
I do want to thank you for all your efforts to answer everyone's questions, and even sending refreshes to people's DVRs where needed. I'm sure that if you were in charge, the ext. disk fatures for X1 would already be activated!!
Especially if Comcast is unable to offer cloud service to a particular area, they should at least activate the Ext. HD features. In fact, all X1 users should always have this option; if your cloud service is really good and competitive, people will use it because they want to (not becuase Comcast forces them to!)
These problems are enough to make ME consider moving to another recording platform (e.g. TiVo, Hauppage, etc.), which doesn't restrict my storage. I'm sure you can see how this is really not a good situation for Comcast.
A couple questions for you:
(1) Is there a particular forum or post that I should follow in order to get the latest information on the X1 issues? (i.e. something not in the "Motorola/SciAtlanta" area?  :-)
(2) If it's a matter of "nagging" someone to convince them they need to activate the ext HD stuff for X1, who would you suggest we need to contact? (I know, that's probably something you could get in trouble for answering!!) Would it be someone at the upper California levels, like Bryan Byrd?
http://comcastcalifornia.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=65
Or should we be targeting someone closer to the top, in Philadelphia, like Brian L. Roberts, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Comcast Corporation? (Does he accept emails, I wonder?)
(3) I have been told recently by Comcast techs that even having a second HD DVR in a system is not an option. Supposedly, your software simply is not set up to accommodate two HD DVR machines; the two will fight each other for authorization and configuration info, and ultimately one or both will require a factory-reset (blowing out ALL recordings!) Is this your understanding as well?
Thanks,
gb

 


Thanks for sharing your feedback and your kind words. 

 

With our X1 platform, our intent is to be able to use the cloud for DVR recordings in more and more areas this year. In many areas, the X1 Experience already has a cloud DVR opportunity where individual DVR recordings are not stored on the in-home device. This cloud DVR experience would really negate the need for a limited and physically in-the-home external hard drive and all boxes could be AnyRoom DVRs.

 

Plus the opportunity to retain your DVR recordings should you move or you need to replace the DVR. And the opportunity to access and playback your recordings from any internet-enabled device.

 

The packaging strategy for additional storage space for X1 devices has not yet been announced.

 

Enabling the e-SATA port on the X1 platform for external hard drives is on the X1 product roadmap. There have not been timelines announced publicly for that specific feature.

 

I have shared your feedback above directly with our X1 Product Management team. There are a few threads on Cloud DVR over in our X1 Forum that I know the X1 team is looking at regularly, you can also start up a new thread on External Hard Drives in the X1 Forum.  http://forums.comcast.com/t5/X1/bd-p/X1

 

You can have up to three separate true DVRs on your account with the X1 Platform. 


Thanks again for your patience and feedback as we continue to work to improve the experience.


Ted..

 

You keep mixing Apples and Oranges somewhat in this dialogue.  We've acknowledged that there are inherent capabiiities in a cloud based DVR "extension" over the local storage on the box.  We've acknowledged access remotely, as a "backup" of sorts, etc.  What we've (and the older DCxxx family of folks) are discussing in the abilty to increase the localized storage using SATA devices which are, in fact, a significantly less expensive proposition vs. some monthly charge for added cloud storage. Frankly, we don't "roam" that often that accessing our DVR from a remote location is a #1 priority.  I was told recently by an 800# rep who handles X1, that the plan is for 500GB free added on to the existing 500GB I have on my Arris box.  IF true and the 500GB would be free, I think that would be both an incentive (for non X1 users) and a reward (or sorts) for the added expense many X1 users are already paying. IF on the other hand the 500GB (if that's the number) comes with some monthly charge for Comcast to cover the cost of the storage, the internetworking between devices, etc., etc. then we're back to the original discussion, which is a simple on.. One that you have repeatedly "clouded" (pardon the pun) with the cloud story about X1 and DVR..

Best case scenario.. Allow X1 users the ability to use localized external storage.. including the ability to move entries between onobard X1 storage and externally connected storage (this would serve as a local backup).. Secondly, allow users the choice moving items from either local device to a Comast managed Cloud DVR..  In fact, if Comcast want to REALLY allow users the most flexibility, we should be able to access either the internal or external storage from anywhere on the network.

Again Ted, please confine the reply to an externally connected storage device on an X1 box unless, as I mentioned I was told, that Comcast will be "giving" us 500GB of storage in the cloud.  I still believe we would need the ability to move things back and forth between locations, no matter whether that is localized hardware or cloud based.

Thanks!

Jay S.

Contributor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for X1 DVRs (discussion)

{EDIT: had missed some information which WAS moved into this thread. Oops.}

 

Hi Ted and Jay,

 

I agree that it was a good idea to move this section to a new location. Absent that, I think people would have just continued to post where they found OTHER postings about X1 storage!! (Herd mentality and all that...)

 

TedS, you had stated here that X1 would support up to 3 (three) HD DVRs. You then had an Escalations rep (Mark Newey) call me, ostensibly to work with me on getting a second HD DVR set up. The first thing Mark said on his call is that X1 DOES NOT support more than ONE HD DVR!!! This is exactly what I was told by the two techs who had visited my house previously. I wanted to get this on the record somewhere.

 

It's not so much that I'm frustrated with YOU, Ted; I'm frustrated that Comcast does not do a better job of making the most current information available to their own employees. It's not uncommon in these forums to find that a customer had been told one thing by an 800# rep, and something entirely different by an in-person tech, or a different 800# tech, etc. (I have personally experienced this several times now.)

 

Back in the day, I was an administrator/programmer for Lotus Notes (now known as IBM Notes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Notes in case anyone's interested.) I'm not selling anything myself here, but Notes would be a perfect application for storing all this product capability information, and making it available securely to the right people. However, I'm sure that there are now OTHER database applications that could serve equally well. Comcast just needs to face up to the problem, and invest the required money in IT so that it provides accurate, easily-searched information to ALL of its employees. To do otherwise just wastes their customer's time, as well as wasting their employees' time (which Comcast is paying SOMETHING for, right???)

 

Ted, please pass this along to your superiors. And I hope that you will not be telling anyone else that X1 will support up to 3 HD DVRs!   :-)

 

Getting back to the subject of X1 Storage: (!) I again have to say "me too" to all of the comments that Jay S. has so clearly put forth here. His explanation is exactly right: Comcast customers should have the OPTION of whether they want to use Cloud or Local storage. I find it offensive that Comcast HAS the hardware capability (for a local hard disk) built into its current equipment, yet refuses to activate it in hopes of one day obtaining a Cloud customer who can be forced to pay for the service. All I can say is this: Comcast is in the process of trying to complete a merger with TimeWarner, and to the best of my knowledge, this is not a done deal yet. If the higher-ups at Comcast won't take this seriously, maybe we should contact our Federal representatives and let them know what we think of how Comcast does business? Maybe the FCC would be interested in the way Comcast refuses to provide services that are in keeping with current available technology? (And maybe I'm just an optimist...)

 

Thanks,

gb

Regular Contributor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for X1 DVRs (discussion)

GB...

 

Just for the record, I'm a 34 year career IBM'er, retired in 2010... I'm well aware of Notes.  :-)  Was there for (and a part of the negotiations)  the Lotus acquisition.  I actually think Comcast needs a more AI driven database structure... one that can build on a query and reply with best case or most likely relevanty answers..  Something akin to what IBM did with Watson for Jeopardy :-)

But to your point, there is a lot of confusion and contradiction within all departments at Comcast.. sales, technical support, etc..  but I will cut them some slack... some ...  They're big, getting bigger, and I think growing pains is a mild description..  So more to your point, I agree whole heartedly, that now, not later, is the time to fix some of this.  As a programmer myself I don't have to tell you fixing a bug is a whole lot more expensive the further down the cycle you get, whereas finding it early, is usually much cheaper and less likely to have that infamous effect of replication over and over and over..

Jay S.

Problem Solver

Re: External Hard Drive Support for X1 DVRs (discussion)

Just an FYI there are people on this forum who have 3hd dvrs and they work flawlessly. Maybe just the area or signal strength.
Contributor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for X1 DVRs (discussion)


fpirelli wrote:
Just an FYI there are people on this forum who have 3hd dvrs and they work flawlessly. Maybe just the area or signal strength.

Hmmm...this may be an example of one of the real strengths of this Forum!! fpirelli, thank you for bringing this up! (Having said that, I would submit that at this point with the X1 rollout, neither signal strength nor geographic area should be limiting whether or not you can use more than one HDDVR.  :-)   )

 

So, OK, DanS: what do you say to this? I think you need to take this matter to the top of (your) ladder, and try to get a better answer.

 

{Edit: I realized (AFTER hitting "Post", of course) that I might not have been entirely clear here. DanS, I know that you originally said "up to three DVRs." Just to reiterate: the guy from Comcast Corporate Escalations, whom YOU had asked to call me, said that X1 would not support more than one HDDVR. So which Comcast employee am I supposed to trust?

If you have different information about the number of DVRs allowed, please get in touch with Mark Newey and straighten things out. I'm sure you know how to contact him.}

Contributor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for X1 DVRs (discussion)


JaySinCT wrote:

GB...

 

Just for the record, I'm a 34 year career IBM'er, retired in 2010... I'm well aware of Notes.  :-)  Was there for (and a part of the negotiations)  the Lotus acquisition.  I actually think Comcast needs a more AI driven database structure... one that can build on a query and reply with best case or most likely relevanty answers..  Something akin to what IBM did with Watson for Jeopardy :-)

But to your point, there is a lot of confusion and contradiction within all departments at Comcast.. sales, technical support, etc..  but I will cut them some slack... some ...  They're big, getting bigger, and I think growing pains is a mild description..  So more to your point, I agree whole heartedly, that now, not later, is the time to fix some of this.  As a programmer myself I don't have to tell you fixing a bug is a whole lot more expensive the further down the cycle you get, whereas finding it early, is usually much cheaper and less likely to have that infamous effect of replication over and over and over..

Jay S.


Hey, Jay S,

 

I should have KNOWN you were an IBM'er!! (I have no idea what I mean by that...) I was doing Technical Marketing Support for a large software vendor when IBM took over. At first, of course, everyone was afraid of what IBM would do. In the end, however, IBM did a great job with letting Lotus continue to function much as it had. Over time, it was clear that IBM's added resources were a real boon to Notes users.

 

Your point about an AI interface is well taken. That would undoubtedly be better than the simpler Notes lookup. However, I can only write about what I know! And it seems that if Comcast isn't willing to spring for a decent AI interface, a simple repository of data would be way better than the "nothing" they have right now! Appropriately-applied authentication would prevent dumbasses from posting stuff that wasn't true (or at least, their posts would be eminently traceable, so that the author can be spanked.) Editable fields would allow even end-users to add words to a Keywords field.

 

On the other hand, doesn't Steve Ballmer or one of those other Microsoft originals have a big stake in Comcast? That would kinda edge out any IBM solutions, I guess!!  X-P

 

As you saw from fpirelli's post, the misinformation continues. Sighhhh.....

Problem Solver

Re: External Hard Drive Support for X1 DVRs (discussion)


gb2K wrote:

JaySinCT wrote:

GB...

 

Just for the record, I'm a 34 year career IBM'er, retired in 2010... I'm well aware of Notes.  :-)  Was there for (and a part of the negotiations)  the Lotus acquisition.  I actually think Comcast needs a more AI driven database structure... one that can build on a query and reply with best case or most likely relevanty answers..  Something akin to what IBM did with Watson for Jeopardy :-)

But to your point, there is a lot of confusion and contradiction within all departments at Comcast.. sales, technical support, etc..  but I will cut them some slack... some ...  They're big, getting bigger, and I think growing pains is a mild description..  So more to your point, I agree whole heartedly, that now, not later, is the time to fix some of this.  As a programmer myself I don't have to tell you fixing a bug is a whole lot more expensive the further down the cycle you get, whereas finding it early, is usually much cheaper and less likely to have that infamous effect of replication over and over and over..

Jay S.


Hey, Jay S,

 

I should have KNOWN you were an IBM'er!! (I have no idea what I mean by that...) I was doing Technical Marketing Support for a large software vendor when IBM took over. At first, of course, everyone was afraid of what IBM would do. In the end, however, IBM did a great job with letting Lotus continue to function much as it had. Over time, it was clear that IBM's added resources were a real boon to Notes users.

 

Your point about an AI interface is well taken. That would undoubtedly be better than the simpler Notes lookup. However, I can only write about what I know! And it seems that if Comcast isn't willing to spring for a decent AI interface, a simple repository of data would be way better than the "nothing" they have right now! Appropriately-applied authentication would prevent dumbasses from posting stuff that wasn't true (or at least, their posts would be eminently traceable, so that the author can be spanked.) Editable fields would allow even end-users to add words to a Keywords field.

 

On the other hand, doesn't Steve Ballmer or one of those other Microsoft originals have a big stake in Comcast? That would kinda edge out any IBM solutions, I guess!!  X-P

 

As you saw from fpirelli's post, the misinformation continues. Sighhhh.....


What misinformation? I have two dvrs, if I wanted three than I would just call and get it. I would never go to cloud storage. If they tried to force it than I would jump ship.

Regular Contributor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for X1 DVRs (discussion)


gotpizza wrote:

gb2K wrote:

JaySinCT wrote:

GB...

 

Just for the record, I'm a 34 year career IBM'er, retired in 2010... I'm well aware of Notes.  :-)  Was there for (and a part of the negotiations)  the Lotus acquisition.  I actually think Comcast needs a more AI driven database structure... one that can build on a query and reply with best case or most likely relevanty answers..  Something akin to what IBM did with Watson for Jeopardy :-)

But to your point, there is a lot of confusion and contradiction within all departments at Comcast.. sales, technical support, etc..  but I will cut them some slack... some ...  They're big, getting bigger, and I think growing pains is a mild description..  So more to your point, I agree whole heartedly, that now, not later, is the time to fix some of this.  As a programmer myself I don't have to tell you fixing a bug is a whole lot more expensive the further down the cycle you get, whereas finding it early, is usually much cheaper and less likely to have that infamous effect of replication over and over and over..

Jay S.


Hey, Jay S,

 

I should have KNOWN you were an IBM'er!! (I have no idea what I mean by that...) I was doing Technical Marketing Support for a large software vendor when IBM took over. At first, of course, everyone was afraid of what IBM would do. In the end, however, IBM did a great job with letting Lotus continue to function much as it had. Over time, it was clear that IBM's added resources were a real boon to Notes users.

 

Your point about an AI interface is well taken. That would undoubtedly be better than the simpler Notes lookup. However, I can only write about what I know! And it seems that if Comcast isn't willing to spring for a decent AI interface, a simple repository of data would be way better than the "nothing" they have right now! Appropriately-applied authentication would prevent dumbasses from posting stuff that wasn't true (or at least, their posts would be eminently traceable, so that the author can be spanked.) Editable fields would allow even end-users to add words to a Keywords field.

 

On the other hand, doesn't Steve Ballmer or one of those other Microsoft originals have a big stake in Comcast? That would kinda edge out any IBM solutions, I guess!!  X-P

 

As you saw from fpirelli's post, the misinformation continues. Sighhhh.....


What misinformation? I have two dvrs, if I wanted three than I would just call and get it. I would never go to cloud storage. If they tried to force it than I would jump ship.


Gotpizza..

I think you're mixing two of the conversations going on here.  I am looking for SATA activation on the X1 box for local storage.  That is where the cloud conversation comes in, and if cloud is going to make you jump ship, be forewarned, that ship has already sailed.  X1 IS going to have cloud storage (on top of what's in the box - mine is 500G.  I want a solution that allows external storage to be connected, and IF I want cloud storage, that should be a separate discussion..  Comcast should allow us the ability to have both external storage on X1 and Cloud and make things interchangeable.  There are some advantages to cloud storage.. watch DVR material anywhere on multiple devices, backed up media so if you X1 box dies you don't lose everything, etc.  As of now, the only additional storage for X1 that is available is cloud.  According to Ted, turning on external local storage is on the drawing board..  The odd thing is it's being turned on for the older boxes, but not X1.  That's one thread.

The other is GB's issue of being told that X1 will not support multiple HD DVRs in the same household (3 I think is what he's looking for).  His issue is the inconsistent answers from Comcast regarding that.  He got one answer here from Ted, another answer from Comcast support, and yet a contradictory answer from another forum member. 

Think that separates the two..  :-)

Jay S.

Problem Solver

Re: External Hard Drive Support for X1 DVRs (discussion)

jay I was responding to be at the same time, but I was not clear. As for the cloud issue I would jump ship if they forced me to ONLY use the cloud. It would be like using xod , which as you know is to slow to respond. So I hope that Comcast gives us the option to keep using our x1 dvr for local storage. The reason I use the second dvr is that the current companion boxes offered stink. I agree the port should have always been on for use. It makes me wonder is it is a copyright issue, just like the way they removed the component output on the arris box.

 

As for the additional dvrs that the other member wanted to get. That is a uphill battle in some markets. However it can be done anywhere, It just takes the right words. In order to get extra dvr(s) the customer MUST explain to the office of the president that the companion box is too SLOW. That is what it takes.

Valued Contributor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for X1 DVRs (discussion)

You guys do know that the Pace X1 box can accommodate a 2-terabyte drive, don't you?  Comcast may offer to swap drives in the future.  Of course, it wouldn't be for free!  It wouldn't surprise me if that option is provided with whatever network gateway Comcast decides to use with the X2 platform.  At that time, any tuners required will be in the gateway, not in X2 boxes.

Regular Contributor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for X1 DVRs (discussion)


jehill wrote:

You guys do know that the Pace X1 box can accommodate a 2-terabyte drive, don't you?  Comcast may offer to swap drives in the future.  Of course, it wouldn't be for free!  It wouldn't surprise me if that option is provided with whatever network gateway Comcast decides to use with the X2 platform.  At that time, any tuners required will be in the gateway, not in X2 boxes.


I'm aware that some boxes inherently can support larger drives, however I can't see that the cost of "upgrading" through Comcast would be cheaper than adding my own 2TB drive in an e-sata connected enclosure.  Just thinking out loud..

Contributor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for X1 DVRs (discussion)

Hi all,

 

Well I apologize for any additional confusion I've caused. (In my defense, the 3 DVRs thing WAS mentioned earlier in this thread, albeit briefly.) It relates to the topic of "more storage" in that, as an absolutely eye-rolling last resort, I was willing to consider adding another DVR _just_ to be able to access its additional 1/2 gig of disk space!!  (Gack.)

 

It went like this:

(1) Local Comcast techs (onsite to fix something ELSE that Comcast broke) swore on their mother's graves that more-than-one HDDVR would NEVER work on X1. They recited the story of one customer in this geographic area who insisted on having two DVRs, and how they would have to go over there about one a week to factory-reset BOTH DVRs (blowing out all recordings) just to get them both working again.

 

(2) Later, up pops DanS, saying that up to 3 works fine. I asked him what the magic words were in order to make this happen for me. In response, he had Executive Escalations rep Mark Newey call me. Mark promptly piped up with "only one, Highlander." Back to Square One.

 

(3) fpirelli pops up and says "lotsa people have three..."; gotpizza agrees; and here we are!

 

I agree that the relevance to either external disk storage or cloud storage is peripheral at best. I hope this clears up the struggle for everyone, and re-emphasizes that one of the biggest barriers to resolving all these issues is the lack of communication within Comcast!!

 

I had wondered whether the Comcast(Pace) box would accommodate a larger internal HD. However, my previous experience experience along these lines was with a Motorola-based DVR from Verizon FIOS (with a similarly-miserable HD.) Apparently, you can put as big of a disk in there as you want; but due to Verizon's firmware, only the first 500 gigs would be recognized (i.e. whatever came in the unit.) I'm sure that if there is a way for Comcast to do the same, they have done it. I would love to hear from someone who has done this hack and got it to work.

 

gb

Contributor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for X1 DVRs (discussion)

Anybody still following here?   :-)

 

Question: does anybody know what the form factor is for the hard drive used in the Pace units? I guess one would have had to have opened one up in order to know (unless there's a way to determine it through other documentation, etc.) Of course, doing that would void one's warranty, so no one should ever do that...

 

Seagate makes a _6_ terabyte 3.5" drive, and one could even consider buying one and trying it to see if it works (as long as it was returnable.) $300 at NewEgg.

 

Here's a link indicating that Seagate may soon be selling 8TB & 10TB drives:

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/186624-seagate-starts-shipping-8tb-hard-drives-with-10tb-and-ha...

 

Makes one think...

gb

Regular Contributor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for X1 DVRs (discussion)

I'm still here... We haven't heard from Comcast Teds in a while though, that's for sure.  I haven't seen many, in any, updates to the old thread either.  :-(   As for form factor, don't know but judging from the size of the box, I'm guessing it's a 2.5" drive, not a 3.5..  Seagate hasn't been as rock solid as they used to be.  I'm almost entirely Western Digital for my Mac Pro (three RAID boxes plus 4 internal SATA drives).  If a drive goes, which is rare, their RMA process is incredibly fast and no questions asked.
Jay S.

 


gb2K wrote:

Anybody still following here?   :-)

 

Question: does anybody know what the form factor is for the hard drive used in the Pace units? I guess one would have had to have opened one up in order to know (unless there's a way to determine it through other documentation, etc.) Of course, doing that would void one's warranty, so no one should ever do that...

 

Seagate makes a _6_ terabyte 3.5" drive, and one could even consider buying one and trying it to see if it works (as long as it was returnable.) $300 at NewEgg.

 

Here's a link indicating that Seagate may soon be selling 8TB & 10TB drives:

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/186624-seagate-starts-shipping-8tb-hard-drives-with-10tb-and-ha...

 

Makes one think...

gb


 

Official Employee

Re: External Hard Drive Support for X1 DVRs (discussion)


gb2K wrote:

Hi all,

 

Well I apologize for any additional confusion I've caused. (In my defense, the 3 DVRs thing WAS mentioned earlier in this thread, albeit briefly.) It relates to the topic of "more storage" in that, as an absolutely eye-rolling last resort, I was willing to consider adding another DVR _just_ to be able to access its additional 1/2 gig of disk space!!  (Gack.)

 

It went like this:

(1) Local Comcast techs (onsite to fix something ELSE that Comcast broke) swore on their mother's graves that more-than-one HDDVR would NEVER work on X1. They recited the story of one customer in this geographic area who insisted on having two DVRs, and how they would have to go over there about one a week to factory-reset BOTH DVRs (blowing out all recordings) just to get them both working again.

 

(2) Later, up pops DanS, saying that up to 3 works fine. I asked him what the magic words were in order to make this happen for me. In response, he had Executive Escalations rep Mark Newey call me. Mark promptly piped up with "only one, Highlander." Back to Square One.

 

(3) fpirelli pops up and says "lotsa people have three..."; gotpizza agrees; and here we are!

 

I agree that the relevance to either external disk storage or cloud storage is peripheral at best. I hope this clears up the struggle for everyone, and re-emphasizes that one of the biggest barriers to resolving all these issues is the lack of communication within Comcast!!

 

I had wondered whether the Comcast(Pace) box would accommodate a larger internal HD. However, my previous experience experience along these lines was with a Motorola-based DVR from Verizon FIOS (with a similarly-miserable HD.) Apparently, you can put as big of a disk in there as you want; but due to Verizon's firmware, only the first 500 gigs would be recognized (i.e. whatever came in the unit.) I'm sure that if there is a way for Comcast to do the same, they have done it. I would love to hear from someone who has done this hack and got it to work.

 

gb


We are all a bit off-topic from the thread title but I will indulge. 

 

Currently, the status is that not all areas are consistent with this business rule.

 

Customers in our Northeast  Division  (from Maine south to Virginia and east to Ohio) are currently permitted up to three DVRs per account. 

 

Customers in our Central Division ( Florida and north plus west to Louisiana and Arkansas) are moving to match that experience.

 

In our West Division (home of Mark N),  the current limit is one.

 

We are working to get that experience all standardized very soon. Thanks for your patience .

 

 

Frequent Visitor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for X1 DVRs (discussion)

Just a quick note about external storage for the X1 box. I had the earlier iteration and had a 1 terabyte drive connected and working fine (Western Digital) . When I went to the X1 platform it no longer works. There is an esata interface on the X1 box. I only bought the 1TB drive because we go on extensive out-of-town trips and would run out of disk space without it. Now I am facing another long trip without added storage and will get stuff overwritten. Bah, humbug. Improvements? No way.
Problem Solver

Re: External Hard Drive Support for X1 DVRs (discussion)

sorry master bob..Don't think it will change soon. maybe a second dvr is in your future....

Frequent Visitor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for X1 DVRs (discussion)

No way I am going to pay for a second DVR when I have the 1TB drive ready to go.

 

Gold Problem Solver

Re: External Hard Drive Support for X1 DVRs (discussion)

I am very aware that I am jumping into this thread late and I have not read the whole thing. However I would like to add a few points.

Yes, according to Pace's own spec sheets the X1 boxes can accommodate 2TB drives HOWEVER I think the chance that drives will ever become field or user replaceable are slim and none. Why do you think that Comcast uses screws that require special or harder to find tools to take them apart? They simply don't want us getting inside the boxes. They have been using special screws since the early Moto DVRs.

Not to disagree with Teds but I live in MSP and I have three Arris DVRs. So it can be done outside of the areas he mentioned.

 

The decision to not turn on the ESATA port is clearly policy/political and not technical. I can't believe Comcast would knowingly fall so far behind their competition on this issue when the solution appears so simple. I contend Comcast won't turn on the ESATA port until they figure out a way to charge for it. If Teds or anyone else from Comcast has offered the real/true reason this port is not active I have not seen it. Forgive me if I missed it...

Additional hard drive storage space had almost nothing to do with my decision to pursue replacing my Companion boxes with DVRs although I cannot deny the benefits. I replaced my Companion boxes with Arris DVRs because the Companion boxes are fraught with so many other problems. I happen to believe the X1 Companion boxes were not originally designed to be used as terminals to a hub box. I think they were designed to be free standing X1 HD boxes that got pushed ito service as AnyRoom terminals.

The point I am trying to make here is HD storage space aside, multiple Arris DVRs is currently the best way to enjoy the X1 platform. This is X1 at it's current best. The Arris made DVRs have the fewest "issues" of all the current devices Comcast has available and they work just fine as hubs or terminals.

 


jehill wrote:

You guys do know that the Pace X1 box can accommodate a 2-terabyte drive, don't you?  Comcast may offer to swap drives in the future.  Of course, it wouldn't be for free!  It wouldn't surprise me if that option is provided with whatever network gateway Comcast decides to use with the X2 platform.  At that time, any tuners required will be in the gateway, not in X2 boxes.


 

Regular Contributor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for X1 DVRs (discussion)

Rick,

 

And what is the additional charge per month for each of the Arris DVRs?  Not criticizing your decision, but the break even vs. an external drive would seem to favor the external drive solution or, if what I had heard is true, that we'll be getting a 500GB bump in the cloud (without charge)...  Since we have no firm information, and I agree we're no likely to see external HD turned on for X1 anytime soon.. your solution seems the most viable for additional storage..

Jay S.

 


RickGr4 wrote:

I am very aware that I am jumping into this thread late and I have not read the whole thing. However I would like to add a few points.

Yes, according to Pace's own spec sheets the X1 boxes can accommodate 2TB drives HOWEVER I think the chance that drives will ever become field or user replaceable are slim and none. Why do you think that Comcast uses screws that require special or harder to find tools to take them apart? They simply don't want us getting inside the boxes. They have been using special screws since the early Moto DVRs.

Not to disagree with Teds but I live in MSP and I have three Arris DVRs. So it can be done outside of the areas he mentioned.

 

The decision to not turn on the ESATA port is clearly policy/political and not technical. I can't believe Comcast would knowingly fall so far behind their competition on this issue when the solution appears so simple. I contend Comcast won't turn on the ESATA port until they figure out a way to charge for it. If Teds or anyone else from Comcast has offered the real/true reason this port is not active I have not seen it. Forgive me if I missed it...

Additional hard drive storage space had almost nothing to do with my decision to pursue replacing my Companion boxes with DVRs although I cannot deny the benefits. I replaced my Companion boxes with Arris DVRs because the Companion boxes are fraught with so many other problems. I happen to believe the X1 Companion boxes were not originally designed to be used as terminals to a hub box. I think they were designed to be free standing X1 HD boxes that got pushed ito service as AnyRoom terminals.

The point I am trying to make here is HD storage space aside, multiple Arris DVRs is currently the best way to enjoy the X1 platform. This is X1 at it's current best. The Arris made DVRs have the fewest "issues" of all the current devices Comcast has available and they work just fine as hubs or terminals.

 


jehill wrote:

You guys do know that the Pace X1 box can accommodate a 2-terabyte drive, don't you?  Comcast may offer to swap drives in the future.  Of course, it wouldn't be for free!  It wouldn't surprise me if that option is provided with whatever network gateway Comcast decides to use with the X2 platform.  At that time, any tuners required will be in the gateway, not in X2 boxes.


 


 

Expert

Re: External Hard Drive Support for X1 DVRs (discussion)


JaySinCT wrote:

Rick,

And what is the additional charge per month for each of the Arris DVRs?  Not criticizing your decision, but the break even vs. an external drive would seem to favor the external drive solution or, if what I had heard is true, that we'll be getting a 500GB bump in the cloud (without charge)...  Since we have no firm information, and I agree we're no likely to see external HD turned on for X1 anytime soon.. your solution seems the most viable for additional storage..

Jay S.

There is no difference in price per month for the two - Arris and Pace.

Contributor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for X1 DVRs (discussion)

I haven't been able to take time until now to respond to DanS's post. I want to try to give DanS the benefit of the doubt here. However, his answer is a CASE IN POINT for the problems that Comcast has with responding to customer inquiries!! (Which is ALSO discussed in this thread, and therefore (I hold) "on topic.")

 

Dan, do you see how the answer you gave about being able to use 3 DVRs is INCORRECT for maybe 2/3 of your customer base? (I'm guessing here, because I don't really know the numbers for Northeast vs Central vs West.) Look at all the discussion and needless effort that has been thrown into this one subject, by myself and other posters.

 

My point is that Comcast should be making it easy for their customer-contact people to FACT-CHECK what they say before they give an answer, ESPECIALLY if it's going to be posted on a Forum like this where THOUSANDS of people might see it and waste a bunch of effort.

 

I hope you will pass this comment back up the line to your superiors. It is one of Comcast's biggest flaws, I think (certainly in the Top Ten with "not taking advantage of existing, available technology unless they can charge for it.") And if this is something that YOU just failed to check out before you posted, I hope you will keep that in mind for your future postings. Remember that your postings here potentially reach people in ALL regions. Again, I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt.

 

And for future posters in this thread: please specify whether your X1 DVR is an Arris, a Pace, or some other species. Given the circumstances, I guess it would also be helpful if you specified your "region" (just the state would be enough.) I had been told by a Comcast representative that _ALL_ X1 hardware was identical, and was manufactured by Pace. Clearly, this was another instance where a Comcast rep somehow failed to give out correct information. DanS, I don't suppose this will help me much, but I would appreciate it if you could ID which hardware is being used in each of your Regions. Perhaps the areas where 3 DVRs work together are also the regions where all Arris boxes are being used...

 

And Rick: thank you for your very concise contribution to this topic. You were very much on point, whether or not you had read through this (tedious) thread intensively! The Pace set-top boxes (coupled to the Pace HDDVR) do not work that well either. This is something that Comcast COULD fix if they wanted to; however, as long as they have a captive audience, they really don't see the need. How much cheaper (and more efficient) would it have been for them to stick with ONE standard for the X1 regional (central-office) software and home hardware that they already had in one region? (Instead of diversifying to both Pace and Arris, and apparently never being able to work out the major problems in EITHER platform?)

 

 

gb

Regular Contributor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for X1 DVRs (discussion)



RobertWy wrote:


JaySinCT wrote:

Rick,

And what is the additional charge per month for each of the Arris DVRs?  Not criticizing your decision, but the break even vs. an external drive would seem to favor the external drive solution or, if what I had heard is true, that we'll be getting a 500GB bump in the cloud (without charge)...  Since we have no firm information, and I agree we're no likely to see external HD turned on for X1 anytime soon.. your solution seems the most viable for additional storage..

Jay S.

There is no difference in price per month for the two - Arris and Pace.


Robert...

I was refering to the fact that it is a DVR vs. a companion box as far as price..  Rick is using multiple DVRs, not an X1 DVR box and companion boxes (which have no hard drive of their own).

Jay S.

Expert

Re: External Hard Drive Support for X1 DVRs (discussion)


JaySinCT wrote:


RobertWy wrote:


JaySinCT wrote:

Rick,

And what is the additional charge per month for each of the Arris DVRs?  Not criticizing your decision, but the break even vs. an external drive would seem to favor the external drive solution or, if what I had heard is true, that we'll be getting a 500GB bump in the cloud (without charge)...  Since we have no firm information, and I agree we're no likely to see external HD turned on for X1 anytime soon.. your solution seems the most viable for additional storage..

Jay S.

There is no difference in price per month for the two - Arris and Pace.


Robert...

I was refering to the fact that it is a DVR vs. a companion box as far as price..  Rick is using multiple DVRs, not an X1 DVR box and companion boxes (which have no hard drive of their own).

Jay S.


On my bill, my first DVR is included in the package.  My second DVR costs an $17.95/month.  Prices may vary by market.  I'm in Houston.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: External Hard Drive Support for X1 DVRs (discussion)

I am an open book but I would prefer to not discuss pricing in open forum. If anybody has pricing questions please PM me...

 


JaySinCT wrote:

Rick,

 

And what is the additional charge per month for each of the Arris DVRs?  Not criticizing your decision, but the break even vs. an external drive would seem to favor the external drive solution or, if what I had heard is true, that we'll be getting a 500GB bump in the cloud (without charge)...  Since we have no firm information, and I agree we're no likely to see external HD turned on for X1 anytime soon.. your solution seems the most viable for additional storage..

Jay S.

 


RickGr4 wrote:

I am very aware that I am jumping into this thread late and I have not read the whole thing. However I would like to add a few points.

Yes, according to Pace's own spec sheets the X1 boxes can accommodate 2TB drives HOWEVER I think the chance that drives will ever become field or user replaceable are slim and none. Why do you think that Comcast uses screws that require special or harder to find tools to take them apart? They simply don't want us getting inside the boxes. They have been using special screws since the early Moto DVRs.

Not to disagree with Teds but I live in MSP and I have three Arris DVRs. So it can be done outside of the areas he mentioned.

 

The decision to not turn on the ESATA port is clearly policy/political and not technical. I can't believe Comcast would knowingly fall so far behind their competition on this issue when the solution appears so simple. I contend Comcast won't turn on the ESATA port until they figure out a way to charge for it. If Teds or anyone else from Comcast has offered the real/true reason this port is not active I have not seen it. Forgive me if I missed it...

Additional hard drive storage space had almost nothing to do with my decision to pursue replacing my Companion boxes with DVRs although I cannot deny the benefits. I replaced my Companion boxes with Arris DVRs because the Companion boxes are fraught with so many other problems. I happen to believe the X1 Companion boxes were not originally designed to be used as terminals to a hub box. I think they were designed to be free standing X1 HD boxes that got pushed ito service as AnyRoom terminals.

The point I am trying to make here is HD storage space aside, multiple Arris DVRs is currently the best way to enjoy the X1 platform. This is X1 at it's current best. The Arris made DVRs have the fewest "issues" of all the current devices Comcast has available and they work just fine as hubs or terminals.

 


jehill wrote:

You guys do know that the Pace X1 box can accommodate a 2-terabyte drive, don't you?  Comcast may offer to swap drives in the future.  Of course, it wouldn't be for free!  It wouldn't surprise me if that option is provided with whatever network gateway Comcast decides to use with the X2 platform.  At that time, any tuners required will be in the gateway, not in X2 boxes.


 


 


 

Frequent Visitor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for X1 DVRs (discussion)

Teds, any updates on launch date in big south for x1 external hard drive support?

 

Is there a cost for cloud DVR? Are there storage space limitations for cloud DVR

 

-side note: I've got two x1 DVRs but one will only record to the main DVR and not itself. When I called in they said the account is set up for one host and two terminals. It needs to be set up for two hosts one terminal. Then offered to roll a truck to fix that. The offered to roll a truck for an account issue... 

Problem Solver

Re: External Hard Drive Support for X1 DVRs (discussion)


the_brack wrote:

Teds, any updates on launch date in big south for x1 external hard drive support?

 

Is there a cost for cloud DVR? Are there storage space limitations for cloud DVR

 

-side note: I've got two x1 DVRs but one will only record to the main DVR and not itself. When I called in they said the account is set up for one host and two terminals. It needs to be set up for two hosts one terminal. Then offered to roll a truck to fix that. The offered to roll a truck for an account issue... 


If you if you have two x1 dvrs (the larger ones) than each must be set as their own default. So for example your living room must say default dvr :living room, and your bedroom default must say bedroom. you will need to set four shows on one box four on the other , not from a single box. hope this helps.

 

There are talks of integration of dvr managers into one, but it is still in test right now. I suspect that there are still issues in making that work without bugs.

Pizzaman out..

Frequent Visitor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for X1 DVRs (discussion)

Thanks gotpizza! I'll take a look at the boxes when I get home. I take it that's an option in the box itself. Looking at this link I'm unable to check more than one default box at a time. Smiley Wink xfinity.Comcast.net/mytv/cable-boxes/ 

Problem Solver

Re: External Hard Drive Support for X1 DVRs (discussion)


the_brack wrote:

Thanks gotpizza! I'll take a look at the boxes when I get home. I take it that's an option in the box itself. Looking at this link I'm unable to check more than one default box at a time. Smiley Wink xfinity.Comcast.net/mytv/cable-boxes/ 


That thing online is not it at all. That is for what dvr you want to record things to from the online channel listings. I would not use that thing with more than one dvr! Has been know to be unreliable when setting things to record. Go to settings on each box to set default dvr.

Contributor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for X1 DVRs (discussion)


the_brack wrote:

Teds, any updates on launch date in big south for x1 external hard drive support?

 

Is there a cost for cloud DVR? Are there storage space limitations for cloud DVR

 

-side note: I've got two x1 DVRs but one will only record to the main DVR and not itself. When I called in they said the account is set up for one host and two terminals. It needs to be set up for two hosts one terminal. Then offered to roll a truck to fix that. The offered to roll a truck for an account issue... 


They offer to roll a truck on ANYTHING!! It's easier than actually FIXING it; and it tends to deter customers from obtaining results (e.g. "if you keep on complaining, we'll keep on rolling trucks!!") I'm fending off such a truck-roll right now; they know they need to put a recording cable meter on my line, to catch an intermittant that doesn't show up on their remote-monitoring system...

 

gb

Frequent Visitor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for X1 DVRs (discussion)

Found the setting! Thanks so much. Something they could have told me... Sorry for the hijack. 

 

Back on topic! LoL

Teds,

External hard drive eta please for the x1! 

Space caps or limits to cloud DVR?

New Poster

Re: External Hard Drive Support for X1 DVRs (discussion)

When will external hard drive support be added?  500 g is not enough !

 

Thanks!!

Problem Solver

Re: External Hard Drive Support for X1 DVRs (discussion)

No time soon...I suggest getting a second dvr, the added tuners will come in handy in a few weeks! if you switch it with a companion box than it will only cost about $10 more.

Contributor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for X1 DVRs (discussion)


gotpizza wrote:

No time soon...I suggest getting a second dvr, the added tuners will come in handy in a few weeks! if you switch it with a companion box than it will only cost about $10 more.


Just to reiterate: you cannot add a second DVR if you live in the "Western Region". The way that DanS worded his response, it seems that the Midwest and South _MAY_ be able to add one additional DVR. It sounds to me like any such installation in these areas would be chancy and relatively unstable. Only the Eastern region appears to be able to support up to 3 DVRs with stability.

 

I note here that we haven't heard anything back from DanS regarding his rather - "imprecise", let's say - answer to this question about how many DVRs. Dan, anything you'd like to explain about how that happened?

Problem Solver

Re: External Hard Drive Support for X1 DVRs (discussion)


gb2K wrote:

gotpizza wrote:

No time soon...I suggest getting a second dvr, the added tuners will come in handy in a few weeks! if you switch it with a companion box than it will only cost about $10 more.


Just to reiterate: you cannot add a second DVR if you live in the "Western Region". The way that DanS worded his response, it seems that the Midwest and South _MAY_ be able to add one additional DVR. It sounds to me like any such installation in these areas would be chancy and relatively unstable. Only the Eastern region appears to be able to support up to 3 DVRs with stability.

 

I note here that we haven't heard anything back from DanS regarding his rather - "imprecise", let's say - answer to this question about how many DVRs. Dan, anything you'd like to explain about how that happened?


The system will support multiple dvrs in the western region! It is a matter of local management approval! they don't officially allow them where I am as well, but I have more than one! You just have to call the right number and have a valid reason other than storage space!

Contributor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for X1 DVRs (discussion)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
gotpizza wrote:

The system will support multiple dvrs in the western region! It is a matter of local management approval! they don't officially allow them where I am as well, but I have more than one! You just have to call the right number and have a valid reason other than storage space!


  Hmmm, my curiousity is aroused! If you don't mind, gotpizza, would you tell us:

 - what state you're in

 - what make of equipment Comcast is giving you?

 - do you still have any HD STBs, and do they allow you to access both DVRs?

 

I'm not sying that I trust _ANYTHING_ that comes from Comcast; but having pummeled DanS into taking a stand on this, it feels funny to try to swim upstream!

 

Thanks,

gb

Problem Solver

Re: External Hard Drive Support for X1 DVRs (discussion)

south Florida

one arrisdvr

one pace dvr

one pace companion

tried to get a hd stb, however billing codes won't mix

Also I helped guide a friend of mine get a second dvr in cali, It took some doing on his part but he got it!

You have to call philly!

yes they all connect via moca and share the same guide.

Contributor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for X1 DVRs (discussion)

Well, cool! I live in California (I think Stockton is my main "switchboard", although I live over an hour away from there.) Would you mind giving me your friend's city name? At least I can say, "I know that this works here..."

 

Couple other things:

 - what is the "Pace companion"? Is it an STB which is _not_ HD? (I have a Pace STB which is considered to be the X1 hardware, and it_is_ HD. I didn't know they made one that wasn't.)

 

 - what is the phone number in Philly that one needs to call, in order to convince Comcast that one needs a second DVR?

 

Thanks for your help, gotpizza,

gb

Problem Solver

Re: External Hard Drive Support for X1 DVRs (discussion)

Not sure what city he is in. He is in the navy, I will try to look for him on fb to find the answer. The number is 215-286-8960.

Just keep in mind that you will need valid reasons. My reason was at the time they could not get the companion box to respond to commands in a reasonable amount of time. The companion box is sometimes referred to as terminal, client, slave.(the smaller box that you can access your dvr from).

Contributor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for X1 DVRs (discussion)

Thanks.

 

Of course, who knows what Comcast will consider to be a "valid reason" at any point? I wonder if this would qualify:

 

"I'm not able to make full use of the HD services I am being charged for, because you don't provide competitive storage space, you won't enable the already-existing ports on your box to allow an external hard drive, and you are not providing cloud service in my area (and can't say when you will)."

 

Seems reasonable to ME; but I'm sure they wouldn't "get it."

 

gb

Problem Solver

Re: External Hard Drive Support for X1 DVRs (discussion)

cloud service would not give you more space!

Contributor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for X1 DVRs (discussion)

Since Comcast has only rolled out this service in a very limited area (Philly), I don't think anyone knows exactly WHAT this service will look like. However, from the discussions in this thread, it seems that it will look as if you have a larger drive. When you go to look at your "Saved" recordings, you will either see a combination of things that you have recorded to your local drive AND things that you have recorded to the Cloud, or possibly you will see only Cloud content (some posters here have suggested this may happen, and Comcast will simply turn off access to your local hard drive.) Either way, you will just see a virtually-unlimited listing of programs you have recorded (limited only by how much cash you have to fork over to Comcast for the Cloud storage!)

 

There has been some discussion that things that you "record" to the Cloud will be "pooled" (i.e. they will not record 5 million copies of Anger Management, but rather will retain one copy and allow 5 million people access to it. I have no idea whether 5 million people even WATCH Anger Management, but you get the idea.) However, if Comcast does employ this sort of "pooling", the end result will (supposedly) be indistinguishable to the end user. Using this model, it does look like a more-encompassing version of "On Demand" service; however, under this model, Comcast WOULD record a copy of a particular program even if only ONE customer wanted to watch it. 

 

gb

Problem Solver

Re: External Hard Drive Support for X1 DVRs (discussion)

The reason you are not seeing cloud being offered is cause it wont work! It has been tested, but have you seen a single youtube video on the matter. It will not be possible to function the same way we use are dvrs today. therefore will never be accepted as a solution!. What they have in Philly is not cloud storage! it is duel recording, only for the purpose of nutheads who feel they need to watch tv on a cell phone.

Regular Contributor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for X1 DVRs (discussion)


gotpizza wrote:
...only for the purpose of nutheads who feel they need to watch tv on a cell phone.

Come on Pizza, don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel! Smiley Wink

 

Dave

Contributor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for X1 DVRs (discussion)


relaximus wrote:

 


gotpizza wrote:
...only for the purpose of nutheads who feel they need to watch tv on a cell phone.

Come on Pizza, don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel! Smiley Wink

 

Dave


Teehee! I'm with Pizza on the cellphone issue. My vision is not that good, and I can barely even dial on my cellphone! Why would I want to try to watch some nice video on a screen smaller than my hand?!!

 

I'm not a big fan of "cloud" services, either, for more reasons than I care to list here (I think I've listed them out in other posts.) The biggest thing for me is that my files are only available when the Internet service is working - and that's far from 99.9% of the time around here! However, just for the sake of argument: THEORETICALLY, I could currently pay some vendor (let's say Microsoft) enough to secure, say, 4 terabytes of cloud storage for myself. Notwithstanding the expense, that storage could theoretically be available to me for storing and recalling video files. However, at this moment, I would have no more access to that 4Tb of cloud storage than I currently have to my 4Tb hard drive sitting next to the DVR! It's all up to Comcast as to when and how they enable ANY access to anything outside of their DVR box. I would rather have the access to local storage hardware; however, I'd be willing to try anything to get more storage.

Contributor

Re: External Hard Drive Support for X1 DVRs (discussion)

So just to be clear, there are zero X1 boxes with ESATA support, correct?