Community Forum

Error code RDK-03004

Regular Visitor

Error code RDK-03004

For the last month about once a week my main X1 DVR box stops receiving its signal and gives me an error code RDK-03004. I've had this same box for about 18 months and had this issue once or twice prior to this last month. My secondary box gives me TV and purchased movies, but obviously, no recordings. I've called customer service each time and we've run through the reboot protocol and signal resending. The previous Ike's, the box comes online anywhere between 8 and 24 hours later. The second call resulted in a service call being scheduled, but because a tech couldn't come for almost a week, the box reset and the call was canceled. The most recent call resulted in being told to take the box to a service center to be exchanged. Does this sound like the box, or an issue with the signal coming into the house and to the box? With the secondary box working I'm a little confused.
Gold Problem Solver

Re: Error code RDK-03004

RDK-03004 is one of the most common X1 error codes. It means that particular X1 box has a poor to unusable connection to the Comcast network. Triple check your connections. Remove any unused splitters.

Unless you are very fluent in troubleshooting AV gear, I suspect you need to call Comcast and get a tech out to your house.

Crutan2943 wrote:
For the last month about once a week my main X1 DVR box stops receiving its signal and gives me an error code RDK-03004. I've had this same box for about 18 months and had this issue once or twice prior to this last month. My secondary box gives me TV and purchased movies, but obviously, no recordings. I've called customer service each time and we've run through the reboot protocol and signal resending. The previous Ike's, the box comes online anywhere between 8 and 24 hours later. The second call resulted in a service call being scheduled, but because a tech couldn't come for almost a week, the box reset and the call was canceled. The most recent call resulted in being told to take the box to a service center to be exchanged. Does this sound like the box, or an issue with the signal coming into the house and to the box? With the secondary box working I'm a little confused.

Expert

Crutan2943 wrote:

To resolve this issue, you can try the following:

• Ensure cable connections are tightly secured.
  • Unplug TV Box from electrical outlet.
  • Wait 10 seconds, then plug back in to restart.

If the issue is still present after the reset, you can temporarily swap the primary and a secondary set top boxes (be sure to use correct power adapter). Does the problem move or say in same place? If moves, box is the issue, if problem is still in same location then it is wiring of coax to the non-working location.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Visitor

We will give that a try. Thanks.
Gold Problem Solver

Rusty makes a good point. Swapping box locations is one of the best tests you can do on your own.

Crutan2943 wrote:
We will give that a try. Thanks.

Regular Visitor

It turns out the box was bad. A tech came out to replace it.
New Poster

same problem here. just exchanged previous box for new one..and still getting same screen RDK-03004.

haven't had any issues for a while until 2-3 days ago.

Gold Problem Solver

Your answer is contained within this thread. You may want to read it...

com-catt wrote:

same problem here. just exchanged previous box for new one..and still getting same screen RDK-03004.

haven't had any issues for a while until 2-3 days ago.

New Poster

TEMPORARY SOLUTION TO RDK-03004

This worked for me... I hope it works for others with this issue.

1. Disconnect the cable from your cable/wi-fi modem.

2. Wait 30 seconds.

3. Re-connect the cable to the modem. Make sure the cable is secure.

4. Using a pen, pencil, or other narrow pointed object, press and hold the recessed "RESET" button on the top rear of the modem for ten seconds (should be directly above the USB port).

5. Wait for the applicable indicators on the front of the modem to light up.

6. Once they are all lit, if your set top box is unplugged from power or off, turn it on.

Once the box finishes the boot sequence, you should have your connection to Comcast servers restored.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: TEMPORARY SOLUTION TO RDK-03004

somnulus wrote:

2. Wait 30 seconds.

4. Using a pen, pencil, or other narrow pointed object, press and hold the recessed "RESET" button on the top rear of the modem for ten seconds (should be directly above the USB port).

6. Once they are all lit, if your set top box is unplugged from power or off, turn it on.

Once the box finishes the boot sequence, you should have your connection to Comcast servers restored.

What does this have to do with the X1 Operating System?    WHat you are describing is a reboot ofd the Interbet modem.... this has nothing to do with X1 as the X1 system communicates within the X1 network with its own internal modem....

New Poster

geek46 wrote:

What does this have to do with the X1 Operating System?    WHat you are describing is a reboot ofd the Interbet modem.... this has nothing to do with X1 as the X1 system communicates within the X1 network with its own internal modem....

The steps I posted here cleared the RDK-03004 error from my system and restored all of my services (TV, phone, and internet).

I posted it here in the event that another user encountered this issue and might possibly resolve their issue by trying these simple steps.

I do not know why it worked, nor do I care; all I care about are results. These steps restored all of my services last night and they are still currently functioning.

Use it or don't use it, that's up to the individual.

New Poster

That worked for me too.  Makes no sense, but if it works, I'll do it for now until the tech comes out on Monday.  Thanks for posting this.  Hopefully other people with this issue find the post.

Regular Visitor

The system is tied to the internet because you can program your DVR from your computer or smartphone.  I too disconnect cable, waited 30 secs, reconnected the cable and reset the modem (not the DVR, but the Modem), and my TV came back on.  Coincidence?  I don't know, but I'm having a Tech come out anyway.

Official Employee

The system is tied to the internet because you can program your DVR from your computer or smartphone

That's actually just tied into your account settings. You probably had a cable on awkwardly.
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Regular Visitor

No, this problem has occurred five times in two months.  The cables have been reconnected several times, and the Modem and DVR have been re-booted seeveral times.   The Tech came out and checked the signal strength and replace a component at the cable connector for the house.  All is now working.  

New Poster

I also found it helpful to unplug and reset my phone / internet modem. I guess the modem was causing some kind of interference to the x1 box. I had tried many resets/reboots on the x1 with no success until I reset the modem and removed the cable for 30 seconds. Whatever is going on, you just can't argue with success.

Regular Visitor

I had Xfinity Tech come out and check signal strengths at the connections.  The signal strength was wrong and they replaced a connector.  Since then I have had no problem.  From what I understand several things can be the cause of this error number. 

New Poster

Thanks so much for the solution to rdk-03004 it worked for me.

New Poster

X1is a piece of junk. I have to reboot one box at least 2times a day and sometimes multiple times at that time. I want my old box back. Clone of the suggested solutions work on a permanent basis. 

Gold Problem Solver

Rmurphree wrote:

X1is a piece of junk. I have to reboot one box at least 2times a day and sometimes multiple times at that time. I want my old box back. Clone of the suggested solutions work on a permanent basis. 

When properly installed, X1 works flawlessly... You may need to get a TECH onsite to diagnose and make repairs to the infrastructure ( inside and/or outside ) for your issues to disappear.

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers,the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing.  Please ensure your post is in the correct Forum to begin with.  Please do not send me Private Messages for personal help but instead use the Forums to allow everyone to read and offer comments to assist you.  Comcast employees are identified with RED lettered User Names.

Regular Visitor

I had Xfinity Tech come out and check signal strengths at the connections.  The signal strength was wrong and they replaced a connector.  Since then I have had no problem.  From what I understand several things can be the cause of this error number.

This was done on May 18th and snce then I've had no problems with this error.

Official Employee

Rmurphree wrote:

You did a self install, and how your cable was configured for your previous Legacy equipment won't necessarily work for the X1 platform. Have a tech out to troubleshoot for you. Out of the equipment you have, only one shows as being online and it has numerous errors. Your modem is also out of spec. I would have a tech out to troubleshoot further.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Frequent Visitor

Whyd oes it show 5 bars when I choose signal strength but I still have to reboot 3-4 times a day?

Gold Problem Solver

Johne3819 wrote:

Whyd oes it show 5 bars when I choose signal strength but I still have to reboot 3-4 times a day?

The signal stength meter is only showing one type of signal, not all of the signals that can cause this issue are adressed with that mini-tool.

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers,the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing.  Please ensure your post is in the correct Forum to begin with.  Please do not send me Private Messages for personal help but instead use the Forums to allow everyone to read and offer comments to assist you.  Comcast employees are identified with RED lettered User Names.

Frequent Visitor

so what's the point of it then?

Frequent Visitor

Here's the DOCSIS results if anyone can help:

Downstream Center Frequency: 645000000 hertz

Downstream received power: -4.5dBmV

Downstream Carrier Lock: operational

Downstream SNR: 35.5 TenthdB

Upstream Center Frequency: 29500000

Upstream Power: 47.0 TenthdBmV

IMG_1581.JPG
New Poster

Worked like charm!! Thank you.

somnulus wrote:

2. Wait 30 seconds.

New Poster

Mine keeps stopping at select ur language..

Silver Problem Solver

Call Comcast and tell them what your issue is.

1-800-xfinity

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
New Poster

The kind of help you will get from the help line will be to set up a home service for a tech to come out. Then you get some person that has not seen the issue before and will not address what is going on, causing another delay and likely much more disruption than just doing the normal reboot functions listed.

Of course, if it is beyond your ability to correct you are forced to use the help they offer. I have had very marginal service at my home. I make this kind of service a very last option.

Silver Problem Solver

It is true that not all Comcast tech's are the same.  My tech was able to identify that the coax drop from the pole to my house had been dined on by the spring squirrels.  He replaced the coax at no charge.

I suggest you try again.

New Poster

I  don't need help now, the solution I posted back at 8-15 still holds up.

New Poster

Thank you....it worked for me today...!
Visitor

I had the RDK 03004 error on 1 TV. The other TVs were fine. I rebooted the box a few times and still the error. I unplugged the modem and replugged it. Then rebooted the box again and it worked.
New Poster

Thanks so much for the post. It worked for me and I'm sure saved me hours of either chat line, or phone conversations with tech. support. It may have even saved me a service call.

Visitor

Like others, this solution makes zero sense to me (modem was working just fine). BUUUUUUTTTTT, it worked. Following these steps, I rebooted the X1 (yet again) and the 03004 message came up (yet again).  10 seconds later (give or take) without any prompting, the X1 rebooted on its own and began operating properly.
geek46 wrote:

somnulus wrote:

2. Wait 30 seconds.

Regular Visitor

I was having the same issue. We have a DRV box, a secondary box and one DTA box. The DVR and DTA boxes were working fine, it was the secondary box that had the issue. I swapped the secondary box with the DTA box and it worked so the issue must be with the box and not the connection. Plan to take the box to Comcast tomorrow and swap it for a new one. Thanks for the idea!Smiley Happy

Visitor

RobertWy suggested unplugging the coaxial cable from the box and touching it, so that it can ground.  This worked for me.  Thanks RobertWy...

Official Employee

I was having the same issue. We have a DRV box, a secondary box and one DTA box. The DVR and DTA boxes were working fine, it was the secondary box that had the issue. I swapped the secondary box with the DTA box and it worked so the issue must be with the box and not the connection. Plan to take the box to Comcast tomorrow and swap it for a new one. Thanks for the idea!Smiley Happy

New Poster

This works.

New Poster

I've had cable in this residence a little over a year. I've been receiving this message off and on for months. First tech guy replaced my box (this is my secondary box, not my dvr) and it worked. Few weeks later, it stopped again. Called them back and the tech that came out says they never should have replaced, the problem was the line coming in the house. I live in a two story and he got under the house and then fished a new line to the bedroom. 2 weeks later, back to the same error. Called again and oddly enough it worked when he got here. 2 days later it stopped again. I've never had a problem with my Wi-Fi or my dvr box. Any thoughts? I have done all the suggested resets, the only thing I haven't done is trade the boxes. With a new line and New box, should I have to do this as well?
Problem Solver

Hello dellnshannon412,

I apologize for any inconvenience this issue may have caused you. Since you have tried everything else, you may want to swap out the boxes. If the problem still exist after that, we will need to reach out to your local office and send out an advanced level tech.

Gold Problem Solver

X1 boxes are more signal sensitive than any other Comcast device. Just because other Comcast devices appear to work does not mean that X1 boxes will work. I may have mentioned this earlier but RDK-03004 is bad signal/wiring/connection related error message.

I estimated there is a roughly 5% chance you have a bad box an a 95% chance the problem is wiring or connection which could be either inside or outside of your house.

I think you are gonna end up needing another tech visit...

dellnshannon412 wrote:
I've had cable in this residence a little over a year. I've been receiving this message off and on for months. First tech guy replaced my box (this is my secondary box, not my dvr) and it worked. Few weeks later, it stopped again. Called them back and the tech that came out says they never should have replaced, the problem was the line coming in the house. I live in a two story and he got under the house and then fished a new line to the bedroom. 2 weeks later, back to the same error. Called again and oddly enough it worked when he got here. 2 days later it stopped again. I've never had a problem with my Wi-Fi or my dvr box. Any thoughts? I have done all the suggested resets, the only thing I haven't done is trade the boxes. With a new line and New box, should I have to do this as well?

New Poster

Thank you! That worked!! Very easy!
New Poster

I just tried this and it worked like a charm!
New Poster

Everyone,

I was having the same issue.  I tried the recommended steps and to my suprise, it worked.  Go figure.  Give it a try, it won't make it any worse. 

Thanks!

New Poster

4 times rebooting the X1 did not work. Reset the modem/wifi, then rebooted the x1 and it worked. Thanks for the tip. Still may need a tech if it keeps happening (2nd time in a week) but at least it's working for now.

Regular Visitor

Fixed it!! Thanks!!
New Poster

Hi.

I've had two of the X1 boxes for a week now and keep getting the RDK-03004 code. Have called for support four times and three of the times they were able to help.  I'm usually on the line with them for about 30 minutes until they send the right signal through and fix the error. This really doesn't bother me if the tech has a sense of humor......luckily three of the four did.  Amazing the one without a sense of humor wasn't able to fix the problem. I'm set up for a Tech to come out over the weekend.

In the meantime I have the Something's not...... message again RDK-03004. I've been trying the different solutions mentioned in this forum. I've looked at both of the boxes and  neither has a reset button.  There is an ethernet connection above the USB port.  Any idea where that reset button could be hiding?  One of the boxes has Samsung and the other is just Xfinity. Appreciate any ideas you may have.

Thanks!

Official Employee

Providence235 wrote:

Hi.

I've had two of the X1 boxes for a week now and keep getting the RDK-03004 code. Have called for support four times and three of the times they were able to help.  I'm usually on the line with them for about 30 minutes until they send the right signal through and fix the error. This really doesn't bother me if the tech has a sense of humor......luckily three of the four did.  Amazing the one without a sense of humor wasn't able to fix the problem. I'm set up for a Tech to come out over the weekend.

In the meantime I have the Something's not...... message again RDK-03004. I've been trying the different solutions mentioned in this forum. I've looked at both of the boxes and  neither has a reset button.  There is an ethernet connection above the USB port.  Any idea where that reset button could be hiding?  One of the boxes has Samsung and the other is just Xfinity. Appreciate any ideas you may have.

Thanks!

You have major signal issues on both your DVR and your modem. The secondary box is totally offline. Are you able to give a little description on how you have your cable configured. Remove any unnecessary splitters to gain back signal levels.

There isn't a reset button on the box itself. I really believe the phone techs that got you going were lucky, nothing should be working or at least working well.