Community Forum

Duplicate Recordings

Regular Contributor

Duplicate Recordings

This has been an ongoing issue in which the DVR menu shows I’m recording the same show, episode and channel twice. It’s not actually recording both program because how could the DVR actually record the same channel at the same time twice?! Generally if I back and go back it’ll only show one but this continues to happen.
09AD408B-37B5-4532-A591-788CE6DBCE24.jpeg
88B15C1D-537B-4C2A-B46F-C5EACFD7E473.jpeg
Expert

Re: Duplicate Recordings

@DigitalGENOcyde wrote:
This has been an ongoing issue in which the DVR menu shows I’m recording the same show, episode and channel twice. It’s not actually recording both program because how could the DVR actually record the same channel at the same time twice?! Generally if I back and go back it’ll only show one but this continues to happen.

you can go to device settings, bottom menu choice "Sync DVR" and see if that clears it up. it is likely that an XRE version update is seeing both the in-home DVR recording and the separate cloud recording as two different entries.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Gold Problem Solver

Which shows in particular exhibit this problem? If a Comcast employee jumps in here they will ask.
Regular Contributor

Happens with all shows.
Expert

@DigitalGENOcyde wrote:
Happens with all shows.

I've seen it since latest xre version update 98.1.2 on xg1v4, xg1v3. stream app and roku show only one in progress.

edit:  and only while recordings in progress. in last 3 minutes only shows one (my default is to add 3 minutes to all recordings, and that does not affect cloud recordings).

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Gold Problem Solver

Assuming you have unplugged the DVR from AC power and done a full reboot?

X1 boxes use a clould based guide and they have proven to be extremely signal sensitive. Many (most) X1 issues can be traced to deficient signal levels.

Have you ever had your signal levels checked on-site by a Comcast tech?

@DigitalGENOcyde wrote:
Happens with all shows.

Official Employee

Greetings DigitalGENOcyde! I appreciate you taking the time to reach out to us here on the forums. I apologize to hear you are having issues with the recordings showing up twice. If what has been suggested by Rustyben and RickGr4 have not resolved the issue I can take a little bit further look into things to see what could be going on. Feel free to send me a PM with your first and last name so I may further assist you.

To send a private message, please click my name "ComcastMichael" then select "Send a Message" on the right side.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

No this is still an ongoing issue and it has been for at least a month now. It’s easy to correct usually if you just back out of the menu and then go back in it’ll update the way it should be, but just thought somebody at Comcast should know that there seems to be some sort of bug. Another issue I’ve noticed is oftentimes programs in the DVR won’t show the description/details what it’s about, but some others do and then if you play the recording it will show the info. What’s worse is that if you try pressing info while in the DVR menu it’ll actually collapse the line and when you’ve got TV shows with multiple epoxies it brings you back to the beginning of the list. Can be a pain if you’ve got to scroll through several of them.
Official Employee

T Hanks for confirming and explaining the additional details of your DVR issues, DigitalGENOcyde. Have you yet replaced / swapped this DVR in effort to alleviate the issues you have seen? 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Just an FYI - I have also noticed duplicate recordings showing.

Silver Problem Solver

@tonya.whaley wrote:

Just an FYI - I have also noticed duplicate recordings showing.

Just to be clear, are you saying the duplicates are on multiple channels?  Can you give us an example?

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

The original poster showed a photo which is the perfect example of what is occurring.  While  a show is recording, there are 2 entries for it appearing in the recording list.  Once the show has recorded, there is then a single entry.

Official Employee

Thanks for the update tonya.whaley!

Can anyone experiencing this issue tell me when you started noticing it? Does it tend to happen with any specific shows or is it random? The next time it happens, can you try checking the stream app or any other boxes to see if there are duplicate listings there too or if its just that one box?

Expert

@ComcastTambrey wrote:

Thanks for the update tonya.whaley!

Can anyone experiencing this issue tell me when you started noticing it? Does it tend to happen with any specific shows or is it random? The next time it happens, can you try checking the stream app or any other boxes to see if there are duplicate listings there too or if its just that one box?

on stream app last time it happened only one was showing there. when it was at the same time on the X1 set top box one had 'finished' (at the top) and 2nd listing was still recording. it appears that when the autopad is on (setting ignored by cloud  secheduler) that the display shows both the home and cloud recordings. once the in-home DVR ended recording only had one listing (the longer in-home recording). 

Official Employee

I really appreciate the report on your findings Rustyben! I think you are on the right track here. It sounds like this is only an issue when a recording has autopad on the home DVR listing but the cDVR listing does not. I know the relation between the home and cloud DVR is a bit like a one-way mirror where home can see cloud but cloud can't see home and files are non-transferable. It still seems odd that home is showing the recording status of cloud but I will reach out and try to get clarification if this is just a result of the way the system is designed, or if this is an issue that needs to be repaired. 

Gold Problem Solver

I use Auto Pad 100% of the time but I have never seen this issue.

Wonder if it has anything to do with the DVR or cloud being full. I never let my DVR go beyond 80%.
Expert

@RickGr4 wrote:
I use Auto Pad 100% of the time but I have never seen this issue.

Wonder if it has anything to do with the DVR or cloud being full. I never let my DVR go beyond 80%.

I'm at 35% with 4 DVRs so not full DVR issue at least that i've seen. since both XRE and firmeare have changed I haven't seen the problem even while 'looking' for it at the top of the hour while recordings go into autopad in the home. might have been a temp issue. I note too that now I'm getting the ghost deleted recordings issue again (have to 'refresh DVR' under device settings to remove the already deleted recording from the current recordings list. 

Regular Contributor

Here’s another bug I’ve been seeing that’s also happening in the DVR menu. Again it’s showing two duplicate recordings but really only recording one of them, but this time they’re actually showing on two separate lines instead of being consolidated in one line like what’s supposed to happen when there’s multiple recordings of the same program.
68EBBDD4-7FD8-4CC5-9515-244CCE7635DB.jpeg
Expert

@DigitalGENOcyde wrote:
Here’s another bug I’ve been seeing that’s also happening in the DVR menu. Again it’s showing two duplicate recordings but really only recording one of them, but this time they’re actually showing on two separate lines instead of being consolidated in one line like what’s supposed to happen when there’s multiple recordings of the same program.

it appears to 'just' be showing the cloud copy and local copy being recorded. when both are finished (different times depending on autopad settings) then only one is shown. Each time i've seen it on my X1's it had one completed other still recording.

Official Employee

Hello all, we do not have an update on this quite yet, but once we do, we will post any feedback here. Thank you and we appreciate your patience while we further investigate this. 

Official Employee

Hello all! I wanted to provide an update letting you know that we were not able to duplicate this on our end, but we did confirm it should not be functioning this way. We can also confirm, that this will be fixed with future updates that are pushed out. I apologize for any inconvenience or frustration this may cause in the meantime. Please let us know if you have any further questions, we're here to help. Thank you and we appreciate you choosing Comcast as your provider.