Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Does The 4K Box Upscale to 4K?

New Poster

Does The 4K Box Upscale to 4K?

I don't know if anyone has asked this question before, But I wanted to know if the 4K box upscales to 4K when watch TV, I already know that the only 4K contact that I can watch on the box is youtube and netflix. My 1080p TV's looks great, but my 4K looks a little blurry at time. I just wanted to know before I get it and pay more for it, if it doesn't help the picture, thanks.

Problem Solver

Re: Does The 4K Box Upscale to 4K?

@coolcolorblack wrote:

I don't know if anyone has asked this question before, But I wanted to know if the 4K box upscales to 4K when watch TV, I already know that the only 4K contact that I can watch on the box is youtube and netflix. My 1080p TV's looks great, but my 4K looks a little blurry at time. I just wanted to know before I get it and pay more for it, if it doesn't help the picture, thanks.

Are you sure you are a 4K signal output from anyone posting a 4K video. When first watching a 4K video use your Select button. There should a "4 K" icon at the end of the video title. If you see only HD icon the broadcast will be something less than 4K. Select the Options icon below the buffer line. Then select 4K just right of it. It opens up a window checked with actual resolution being out-put to your TV by You Tube. Now select "2160P" for 4K output. The video should now play the video in actual 4K.

If the video stops for "loading" you may not have enough broadband speed to play the video in 4K. The selection of 4K output is not automatic by You Tube. It might be based on the last person out-puting that video.

If you are not getting a good picture using the "You Tube" app on your 4K television, things will only be worse using the 4k DVR.

Valued Contributor

Copied my answer to a previous past:

The XG1v4 allows you to upconvert the standard Comcast signal to 4K and output that to your TV, if that is your preference (That's what I do).  Some like that a 4K signal is input into their TV and think that offers a better picture than inputting a 1080 signal and letting the TV upconvert.  Others think that the TV does a better job at upconverting.

The only recent time that Comcast has produced an actual 4K HDR signal for us to watch was during the winter olympics, several events were broadcast on a tape delay basis and were available on demand but they all dissapeared as soon as the olympics were over.  That picture was very good and it is unfortunate that Comcast does not seem willing to do anything more for their customers wanting a 4K picture. 

Netflix, Amazon, YouTube and several other providers all offer 4K signals for some of their programming.  The XG1v4 allows you to get a 4K picture on YouTube and Netflix, although the Apps for these services that are on my TV look better than the one on from the Comcast box.

I suppose that if Comcast ever does actually offer something in 4K, it would be nice to have the STB that would allow you to watch it.

Problem Solver

Since Comcast has no 4K (or 1080p) programing now, it makes no sense to output 4K from the box. The best choice would be either 1080i, or 720p. One thing to keep in  mind is if Comcast delivered either 1080p or 2160p (4K), the box would have to be set at the highest resolution in order to pass the signal to the television.

If you own a high quality 120 Hz UHD television like: Samsung, Sony, or LG OLED, letting the television is always best. If you own a cheaper 60 Hz. UHD television you might check which setting works best from the 4K DVR.

Expert

@MNtundraRET wrote:

Since Comcast has no 4K (or 1080p) programing now, it makes no sense to output 4K from the box. The best choice would be either 1080i, or 720p. One thing to keep in  mind is if Comcast delivered either 1080p or 2160p (4K), the box would have to be set at the highest resolution in order to pass the signal to the television.

If you own a high quality 120 Hz UHD television like: Samsung, Sony, or LG OLED, letting the television is always best. If you own a cheaper 60 Hz. UHD television you might check which setting works best from the 4K DVR.

please never select 1080i for a digital TV it will add so many motion/artifact issues.

Problem Solver

@Rustyben wrote:

@MNtundraRET wrote:

please never select 1080i for a digital TV it will add so many motion/artifact issues.

Rusty:

If that is the case. Why would the box have a 1080i setting?

Maybe it doesn't, I do not use any X1 cable boxes yet.

Expert

@MNtundraRET wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@MNtundraRET wrote:

Rusty:

i think 1080i was intended to be compatible with 1080i TV's.

Problem Solver

@RobertWy wrote:

@MNtundraRET wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@MNtundraRET wrote:

Rusty:

i think 1080i was intended to be compatible with 1080i TV's.

Robert:

There is no 1080i television. The 1080p televisions came out a few years after the first 720p televisions. Blu-ray players (1080p) came out shortly after to supply programs in 1080p.

Sending out television signals for 1080p televisions in interlace fashion "over the air" has always worked fine since the mid 2000's. It also worked fine for cable under MPEG2. Using a Blu-ray player of course produced the best picture possible for 1080p televisions.

The problem for Comcast, and others, has been the need for space to handle all of what they wish to offer now and their idea of the future. Comcast's move from MPEG2 to MPEG4 is most likely more of an obstacle than originally visioned. If I understand Rusty correctly he seems to think they may ultimately bail out of traditional cable television.

In my post here I was just suggesting people test each output of any cable-box to see what actually produces the best picture (or audio) for their particular UHD television.

Expert

Interesting.  I thought my old TV did 1080i.

Problem Solver

@RobertWy wrote:

Interesting.  I thought my old TV did 1080i.

I just bought my first Blu-ray player at Chrismas 2015. I was a 3D Blu-ray player to use with my just ordered 3D UHD 65 inch curved Samsung television. So I never saw anything better than the 1080i signal on my 2005 40 inch Sony Bravia 1080p television. The new Sony 1080p models were just being delivered to Best Buy at that time. They also had the 720p Sony models at that time. I still have that television sitting side by side with my 65 inch Samsung television.

The Samsung is still working fine on the original back-light. Remember how Best Buy and others were trying to charge us $600. / year for warranty to cover back-light they claimed would only last about 2 years?  Smiley Wink

Valued Contributor

@MNtundraRET wrote:

I have an LG OLED, C7 model, and I output 4K from the XG1v4 and am quite happy with how it looks.  Comcast's signal overall is inferior to every other provider you can think of but for regular old ESPN, CNN, channels like that, I have the STB do the upconverting and have no problem with that.  High end 4K TV's like the LG OLED or Sony OLED work best when a 4K signal is input. 

I would suggest that everyone try what you like the best, but it has been my experience that the picture can be adjusted to look the best when a 4K signal is input as opposed to a 1080p and letting the TV do the upconverting.  With Comcast's garbage signal, either option works well.

Expert

@MNtundraRET wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@MNtundraRET wrote:

Rusty:

there are still some crt type analog devices being used - one's i've seen are usually projectors.