Community Forum

Do I need to split my recordings between my three DVR's

Silver Problem Solver

Do I need to split my recordings between my three DVR's

I get a tuner not available message and have to cancel a recording to free up a channel.

If I spread my scheduled recordings over the three DVR's, will that alleviate the issue?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

Re: Do I need to split my recordings between my three DVR's

@RobertWy wrote:

I get a tuner not available message and have to cancel a recording to free up a channel.

If I spread my scheduled recordings over the three DVR's, will that alleviate the issue?

x1 spreads out recordings to available DVRs based on available disk space. if you have hot recordings and set 6 on one box then all tuners on that box are in use. if you schedule then scheduler should spread them out. do you have xi3/D/xi5/xi6 set top boxes?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Silver Problem Solver

@Rustyben wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

x1 spreads out recordings to available DVRs based on available disk space. if you have hot recordings and set 6 on one box then all tuners on that box are in use. if you schedule then scheduler should spread them out. do you have xi3/D/xi5/xi6 set top boxes?

Nope; just three DVR's and one XG2.

Now I have to figure out how to cancel and reschedule all my recordings.

Thanks for the verification; I was afraid that was the answer.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Expert

@RobertWy wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

during reboot (usually overnight) the 'planned' recording for each DVR is sent to the DVR from the scheduler-in-the-cloud server. when you replace a DVR, that is why you do the menu option 'sync DVR'. was it one of your DVRs that was out of tuners? or the xg2? did you look to see how many tuners in use recordings? nothing should be borrowing any tuners from any of your DVRs sinc eyou don't have xi3/d/5/6.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Silver Problem Solver

@Rustyben wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

during reboot (usually overnight) the 'planned' recording for each DVR is sent to the DVR from the scheduler-in-the-cloud server. when you replace a DVR, that is why you do the menu option 'sync DVR'. was it one of your DVRs that was out of tuners? or the xg2? did you look to see how many tuners in use recordings? nothing should be borrowing any tuners from any of your DVRs sinc eyou don't have xi3/d/5/6.

I happened to notice there is a drop-down that shows which recordings are scheduled for each X1 box.  I will use that to delete/reschedule my recordings across my devices.

Expert

@RobertWy wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

I happened to notice there is a drop-down that shows which recordings are scheduled for each X1 box.  I will use that to delete/reschedule my recordings across my devices.

that is where it is scheduled to be recorded? only hot (hit record buttons) are 'stored' on the DVR being used as far as we've ever been told.

Silver Problem Solver

Yep.  I did some juggling yesterday by deleting a series and rescheduling it on a different X1 box and the schedule now shows it is scheduled on the new X1 box and is no longer appearing on the old X1 box.

Expert

@RobertWy wrote:

Yep.  I did some juggling yesterday by deleting a series and rescheduling it on a different X1 box and the schedule now shows it is scheduled on the new X1 box and is no longer appearing on the old X1 box.

i have 4 DVRs (the drop down lists 5 but one that doesn't exist has no recordings. the 4 individual listings cover about 45 recordings. the all is 235. it isn't accurate and is not the 'priority' list. good chatting with you.