Community Forum

Display setting: 1080p or 1080i?

Contributor

Display setting: 1080p or 1080i?

I just got X1. I have a Samsung UN46D6000 TV. The tech who installed X1 set the Display setting to 1080p. I know the set is capable of a 1080 resolution, and that virtually all HD is broadcast in 1080i format, but it's my understanding that all TVs convert 1080i to 1080p, so that's the setting I should use. Yes? No?

Regular Contributor

Re: Display setting: 1080p or 1080i?

Be some various opinions on that. I set mine to 1080i, my logic being I want my TV to do most of the scaling, not Comcast's box. That being said, Comcast is apparently on the move to downgrade all their channels to 720p, so who knows what works best. You'll just have to experiment and see what setting looks best to you.

Gold Problem Solver

Try both of them and see if you see a difference.

I doubt you will so either setting is fine.

Conventional wisdom suggests if one is going to be better it will be 1080p but there are variables.
Silver Problem Solver

KNRover wrote:

I just got X1. I have a Samsung UN46D6000 TV. The tech who installed X1 set the Display setting to 1080p. I know the set is capable of a 1080 resolution, and that virtually all HD is broadcast in 1080i format, but it's my understanding that all TVs convert 1080i to 1080p, so that's the setting I should use. Yes? No?

I discovered that my TV accepted a 1080i signal and promptly upconverted it to1080p.

I personally believe that the X1 box should be set for the highest resolution that the TV supports.

In the case of some of my local channels, they are 720p and my TV upconverted them to 1080p.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Expert

comcast has said they are making the 'native' signal delivered 720p60. since that is the case I set mine to 720p so the TV and set top box will see 'native' signal and not process it in any way. 

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here(updated).
Expert

It should be noted the 1080p and 1080i produce the same number of pixels in picture as viewed by your eyes.

1080p takes only 1 refresh to do all pixals. 1080i take 2 refreshes since interlacing produces everyother line of pixals each refresh.

This mattered on earlier televisions with 1080p. Only Blu-ray movies played in 1080p on these televisions. Unless you purchased the top of the line models of the best brands, you could see "jutter" on fast motion films or sports. The larger the screen the more likely the problem.

Now days most 1080p televisions have much faster motion rates so seeing a difference between 1080i and 1080p would be harder to see. 720p would come out looking worse than in the past.

I suppose new versions of the X1 DVR boxes could be set up for 1080p which would allow viewing Blu-Ray movies in 1080p over streaming Internet. You still would only see 1080i over cable or air (antenna).

Expert

MNtundraRET wrote:

It should be noted the 1080p and 1080i produce the same number of pixels in picture as viewed by your eyes.

1080p takes only 1 refresh to do all pixals. 1080i take 2 refreshes since interlacing produces everyother line of pixals each refresh.

This mattered on earlier televisions with 1080p. Only Blu-ray movies played in 1080p on these televisions. Unless you purchased the top of the line models of the best brands, you could see "jutter" on fast motion films or sports. The larger the screen the more likely the problem.

Now days most 1080p televisions have much faster motion rates so seeing a difference between 1080i and 1080p would be harder to see. 720p would come out looking worse than in the past.

I suppose new versions of the X1 DVR boxes could be set up for 1080p which would allow viewing Blu-Ray movies in 1080p over streaming Internet. You still would only see 1080i over cable or air (antenna).

comcast is moving to 720p60. I set all my set top boxes to 720p (the user interface doesn't say if it is 720p60 or 720p<something else>. 1080p is not (yet) used in broadcast nor cable channels. When you set your set top box to 1080p the set top box upscales and if necessary de-interlaces the image into a 'p' (progressive) image stream. Hopefully the 60 images/second of the 720p60 will give a better picture than the 1080i that is likely at near 30 images per second. 

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here(updated).
Regular Contributor

He didn't say he supported it.  He just said how he's dealing with it.

RickGr4 wrote:

Please Rusty,

That is nothing but assumption on your part. Comments like that should wait until we see the finished product. I can be accused of overly supporting Comcast. But in this case you are trying to sell an ice cube in  h**l. Considering the current technology and considering where things are obviously heading, supporting Comcast's decision to 720p is at a minimum naive on your part. DirecTV is already ahead in picture quality and Comcast's decision to go to 720P will only move them farther behind.

Comcast is making a HUGE mistake not moving to 1080p. However I was just told today by a Comcast employee who would be in a position to know this downgrade is being made to free up the bandwidth for 1GB internet speeds.

Please stop trying to support the change to 720p. You are only losing credibility. The only people who may support this change are the people that have small, low end TV sets that would never allow them to see the differences. Those of us that happen to own reference caliber TV sets are not amused or excited about the upcoming changes.

Rustyben wrote:

comcast has said they are making the 'native' signal delivered 720p60. since that is the case I set mine to 720p so the TV and set top box will see 'native' signal and not process it in any way. 

CIAO!

Ed N.