Community Forum

Disappearing recordings

New Poster

Disappearing recordings

We have an X1 DVR. Lately several shows keep disappearing after they have successfully recorded even though they are set to be saved for a year not to be deleted if space is needed. This evening I had just recorded the new episode of Dr. Who, and I was in the middle of watching it when I had to pause it for a while. I went back to it about 30 minutes later, and it was gone. This is not the first time this is happened. Could you please explain?

Official Employee

Re: Disappearing recordings

Hi, jmmcbandz - Do you save each of your recording as "save for a year"? How much free space do you have on your DVR? 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

There was still 3% space left, but the recordings that disappeared were all set to be saved for a year. I checked after they successfully recorded and were saved initially. I would assume that if all the existing recordings were set to be saved for a year, if there s not enough room for additional recordings, the new recordings just wouldn't be recorded.
Silver Problem Solver

@ComcastElla wrote:

Hi, jmmcbandz - Do you save each of your recording as "save for a year"? How much free space do you have on your DVR? 

I lost a saved series recording but I can't check to see what it was set for now that it is gone.

It sounds like maybe the default has changed.  I will do some testing after Thanksgiving.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Official Employee

@jmmcbandz - 3% left is not enough. The DVR saves some space for future recordings. It will record and then delete a recording if there is no space. Actually, if you don't have enough space it will cause a lot of issues and we don't recommend it. If you would like to get more space, you can get an additional DVR. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Silver Problem Solver

@ComcastElla wrote:

@jmmcbandz - 3% left is not enough. The DVR saves some space for future recordings. It will record and then delete a recording if there is no space. Actually, if you don't have enough space it will cause a lot of issues and we don't recommend it. If you would like to get more space, you can get an additional DVR. 

I had all 8 episodes of Yellowstone in my Recordings folder and they just disappeared and there is no way to recover them.  I have three DVR's and about 30% used.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Expert

@RobertWy wrote:

@ComcastElla wrote:

I had all 8 episodes of Yellowstone in my Recordings folder and they just disappeared and there is no way to recover them.  I have three DVR's and about 30% used.

try rebooting them all and then checking each to see if the recordings are still 'there' (on that machine). did you look in deleted files? were they a year old?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Silver Problem Solver

@Rustyben wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

@ComcastElla wrote:

try rebooting them all and then checking each to see if the recordings are still 'there' (on that machine). did you look in deleted files? were they a year old?

That will require some coordinaton with everyone.  I'll give it a try.  

Yellowstone is not that old.  The first episode aired in June.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellowstone_(U.S._TV_series)

Official Employee

@RobertWy - Did the episodes disappear from the physical DVR or Cloud? 

Silver Problem Solver

@ComcastElla wrote:

They disappeared from the Saved/Recordings folder and they are not any of my X1 devices.

How long are Save/Recordings supposed to remain?  And BTW, those Saved/Recordings never appeared in the Saved/Recordings Recently Deleted folder.

Expert

@RobertWy wrote:

@ComcastElla wrote:

They disappeared from the Saved/Recordings folder and they are not any of my X1 devices.

How long are Save/Recordings supposed to remain?  And BTW, those Saved/Recordings never appeared in the Saved/Recordings Recently Deleted folder.

i've never had that happen. once i had to go to a particular DVR to play a recording that didn't show up anywhere on the other x1 equipment at all. i use when space is needed and have some nearly 6 months old still not removed from home DVRs.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Silver Problem Solver

@Rustyben wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

@ComcastElla wrote:

i've never had that happen. once i had to go to a particular DVR to play a recording that didn't show up anywhere on the other x1 equipment at all. i use when space is needed and have some nearly 6 months old still not removed from home DVRs.

And that has been my experience up to now.  I wonder if there is something special about Paramount recordings.  I should try watching an episode and then see how long it stays in the Saved/Recordings folder.  But that will take a LOT of time.

Official Employee

@RobertWy - Apologies for the delayed reply. Let me take a closer look at your recordings. Could you please send me a private message with your full name? Thank you!

Silver Problem Solver

@ComcastElla wrote:

@RobertWy - Apologies for the delayed reply. Let me take a closer look at your recordings. Could you please send me a private message with your full name? Thank you!

Done.

Official Employee

@RobertWy - Thank you! I got it and replied back. 

Silver Problem Solver

@ComcastElla wrote:

I spoke to tech support.  It appears the Cloud is the cause of my saved recordings being deleted.  Since it can hold only 60 hours, it deletes the oldest ones to make room for the newer ones.  The only way I can watch those that are deleted is to hope they appear in On Demand.  In the case of Yellowstone, all eight episodes are in On Demand.

Expert

@RobertWy wrote:

@ComcastElla wrote:

I spoke to tech support.  It appears the Cloud is the cause of my saved recordings being deleted.  Since it can hold only 60 hours, it deletes the oldest ones to make room for the newer ones.  The only way I can watch those that are deleted is to hope they appear in On Demand.  In the case of Yellowstone, all eight episodes are in On Demand.

the home DVRs are not affected by cloud auto delete for room. if someone deletes the program on cloud DVR then it will delete on the home DVRs. 

New Poster

The automatic deletion from the cloud has never affected the home DVR before. There are always more recordings on the DVR than on the cloud. And, it's the newest recordings getting deleted. I assume this must be a malfunction in the X1 DVR. It is 2 or 3 years old at this point. I am hoping to avoid having to replace it since a lot of saved recordings will be lost. I assume there is no way to move old recordings onto a new DVR.
Expert

@jmmcbandz wrote:
The automatic deletion from the cloud has never affected the home DVR before. There are always more recordings on the DVR than on the cloud. And, it's the newest recordings getting deleted. I assume this must be a malfunction in the X1 DVR. It is 2 or 3 years old at this point. I am hoping to avoid having to replace it since a lot of saved recordings will be lost. I assume there is no way to move old recordings onto a new DVR.

it is possible that someone that has access to your stream (your username or secondary emails on your account) is viewing/deleting the programs. If you keep up with the known recordings (when recorded-day-time, channel, program name, episode etc) then an Official employee can look at the logs and determine 'how' it was deleted. 

Silver Problem Solver

I might have found the culprit; recently, I replaced one of my X1 DVR's with a 4k DVR.  That might have deleted my Yellowstone series.

Official Employee

@Rustyben - If the episode was recorded a long time ago (more than 3 months) - we can't always check it and we escalate it to the Tech Support. 

@RobertWy - Please keep an eye on your recordings and let me know if you will see any new examples of missing recordings. 

Silver Problem Solver

@ComcastElla wrote:

@Rustyben - If the episode was recorded a long time ago (more than 3 months) - we can't always check it and we escalate it to the Tech Support. 

@RobertWy - Please keep an eye on your recordings and let me know if you will see any new examples of missing recordings. 

I certainly will, but I really don't expect any issues until I replace my third DVR with the 4K DVR.