Community Forum

Disable/lock/block cloud DVR in one room, possibly with MoCA filters?

Highlighted
New Poster

Disable/lock/block cloud DVR in one room, possibly with MoCA filters?

Hi gang,

Was finally forced to upgrade to X1 because they couldn't solve the problem any other way. Problem is I have two separate apartments in my home sharing the cable, and one of them is a vacation rental... and the guests in the rental can now see/delete everything I record.

This is not ideal. 

I can find several posts saying "there's no way to get around that, go buy a TiVo." Unacceptable! If there's no official Comcast way, is there not a trick to at least get close? For example: I can't put a child lock on the Saved/DVR section (WHY is that the only thing I can't lock), but could I somehow have it permanently default the filter to show only "news programs" or something so at least guests would really have to go digging to find my recordings?

Or: I saw it briefly suggested in one post that putting MoCA filters on the backs of my two cable boxes would prevent them from sharing content. Any merit to that plan? It seems like it might cause other problems in the process, but might be problems I can live with if it actually works.

Thanks in advance! Let's get creative!

Expert

Re: Disable/lock/block cloud DVR in one room, possibly with MoCA filters?

@GeeThanksComcas wrote:

Hi gang,

Was finally forced to upgrade to X1 because they couldn't solve the problem any other way. Problem is I have two separate apartments in my home sharing the cable, and one of them is a vacation rental... and the guests in the rental can now see/delete everything I record.

This is not ideal. 

I can find several posts saying "there's no way to get around that, go buy a TiVo." Unacceptable! If there's no official Comcast way, is there not a trick to at least get close? For example: I can't put a child lock on the Saved/DVR section (WHY is that the only thing I can't lock), but could I somehow have it permanently default the filter to show only "news programs" or something so at least guests would really have to go digging to find my recordings?

Or: I saw it briefly suggested in one post that putting MoCA filters on the backs of my two cable boxes would prevent them from sharing content. Any merit to that plan? It seems like it might cause other problems in the process, but might be problems I can live with if it actually works.

Thanks in advance! Let's get creative!

why not put in an HD DTA (basic cable) it would have access to your subscription but not your X1 DVR nor on-demand etc.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Diamond Problem Solver

There are no workarounds, it’s meant to be a whole home system.
Using Rustyben’s suggestion is next best but DTAs only broadcast up to Digital Starter and no access to Premium Channels.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
New Poster

I understand what it's meant to be, but it clearly doesn't work for all homes--the thousands of forum posts (on this site and others) suggest I'm not alone on this.

And presumably there's no hope this is a feature that will ever be added? Not looking for separate DVRs or anything complex, just extending the child lock functionality to include the DVR/"Saved" area. I shouldn't have to switch back to U-Verse just to solve this very basic problem. Or can I disconnect the cloud back-up entirely?

Expert

@GeeThanksComcas wrote:

I understand what it's meant to be, but it clearly doesn't work for all homes--the thousands of forum posts (on this site and others) suggest I'm not alone on this.

And presumably there's no hope this is a feature that will ever be added? Not looking for separate DVRs or anything complex, just extending the child lock functionality to include the DVR/"Saved" area. I shouldn't have to switch back to U-Verse just to solve this very basic problem. Or can I disconnect the cloud back-up entirely?

you can mix 'x1' and non-x1 (put non-x1 in the rental without a DVR perhaps? the legacy non-X1 won't see nor have access to the X1 recrodings.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!