Community Forum

DirecTv to Xfinity

Highlighted
New Poster

DirecTv to Xfinity

I currently have Xfinity for my phone and internet, but am now leaving DirecTV and setting up Xfinity tv. I have 6 sets that are currently wired for DirecTV and have been told that the house wiring would be used to supply the signal to the STBs. However, I need to get the signal connected at the Xfinity box. All boxes and splitters are within 2 feet of each other at the back of the house. There is a directv junction with 4 cables from the dish split off to 2 cables out. Those 2 cables then run to 2 4 way splitters. 1 of them has 4 cables out to the 4 sets in the house, with the other splitter having 2 lines out to the 2 sets in the garage. My theory is that I can hook the orange coax from the pole to a 3 way splitter. From that splitter have the 1 cable out to the internet, and the other 2 would go out to the existing 4 way splitters that feed the set supply. Am I wrong?
Expert

Re: DirecTv to Xfinity

@Dbarnes67 wrote:
I currently have Xfinity for my phone and internet, but am now leaving DirecTV and setting up Xfinity tv. I have 6 sets that are currently wired for DirecTV and have been told that the house wiring would be used to supply the signal to the STBs. However, I need to get the signal connected at the Xfinity box. All boxes and splitters are within 2 feet of each other at the back of the house. There is a directv junction with 4 cables from the dish split off to 2 cables out. Those 2 cables then run to 2 4 way splitters. 1 of them has 4 cables out to the 4 sets in the house, with the other splitter having 2 lines out to the 2 sets in the garage. My theory is that I can hook the orange coax from the pole to a 3 way splitter. From that splitter have the 1 cable out to the internet, and the other 2 would go out to the existing 4 way splitters that feed the set supply. Am I wrong?

when the tech comes for the install it is likely that a zero-gain amplified splitter will be installed and it includes non-powered outlet for the modem.. the splitters if you use them would need to be checked to be sure they are designed for signal frequency of at least 1002 mhz. A POE grounded filter must also be installed where the signal enters the home.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

I don't have a tech coming out to install. They gave me the self install kit even though I told the rep that I currently only have internet and phone through Xfinity and would prefer to have a Tech come out.
The splitter I was looking at getting was rated 5-2300Mhz. As far as a filter, there is currently nothing in the line unless it is at the pole origination.
If there was a way to post pics, I could show you exactly what I currently have.
Expert

@Dbarnes67 wrote:
I don't have a tech coming out to install. They gave me the self install kit even though I told the rep that I currently only have internet and phone through Xfinity and would prefer to have a Tech come out.
The splitter I was looking at getting was rated 5-2300Mhz. As far as a filter, there is currently nothing in the line unless it is at the pole origination.
If there was a way to post pics, I could show you exactly what I currently have.

they will come out and put in a POE (required). the POE will keep all your MoCA traffic in your home and keep out other neighbor's MoCA signals (can cause weird issues like watched shows you didn't watch, recordings you didn't set, etc). the splitter you listed is fine for frequency range

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!