Community Forum

Different kinds of DVR's ?

Regular Contributor

Different kinds of DVR's ?

My 4 year old DVR is giving me problems and needs to be replaced.   Currently, when I record a show, it is labled DVR and only shows the cloud version if there is a playback problem. Is there a newer version of my DVR/Box that only makes cloud recordings? I have the one with digital optical out.  I ask because I already attempted to replace it once, and tried 5 times to make a new recording-all had a cloud-DVR instead of just DVR.  I thought something was wrong with the new  box and had my old one reinstalled.

Expert

Re: Different kinds of DVR's ?

@tbill1 wrote:

My 4 year old DVR is giving me problems and needs to be replaced.   Currently, when I record a show, it is labled DVR and only shows the cloud version if there is a playback problem. Is there a newer version of my DVR/Box that only makes cloud recordings? I have the one with digital optical out.  I ask because I already attempted to replace it once, and tried 5 times to make a new recording-all had a cloud-DVR instead of just DVR.  I thought something was wrong with the new  box and had my old one reinstalled.

when you make a recording, it is both recorded in the home on your physical DVR and in the cloud (as a backup in only stereo audio). if you swap out the DVR you will at first have only the cloud DVR recordings available to watch and they will be in 2.0 stereo. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Hello tbill1. We appreciate you visiting and posting on our Forums. I can assist with troubleshooting your DVR issues. 

What Rustyben has stated is a valid point: "when you make a recording, it is both recorded in the home on your physical DVR and in the cloud (as a backup in only stereo audio). if you swap out the DVR you will at first have only the cloud DVR recordings available to watch"

If you would like me to review your account health and further troubleshoot your issue, please reach out to me via private message and include your full name so I can assist you. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@tbill1 wrote:

when you make a recording, it is both recorded in the home on your physical DVR and in the cloud (as a backup in only stereo audio). if you swap out the DVR you will at first have only the cloud DVR recordings available to watch and they will be in 2.0 stereo. 

Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@tbill1 wrote:

Thanks, I'm well aware that transferred recordings to a new box are cloud recordings.  I'm referring to when the tech is at my house and I just record any channel to see what happens.  I bring this up because I saw somewhere where Xfinity had a box without a hard. drive that only made cloud recordings. Are you saying all Xfinity dvrs have a hard drive? what is this all about?

https://www.theverge.com/2013/6/11/4418868/comcast-xi3-dvr-ditches-hard-drive-puts-your-recordings-i...

Expert

@tbill1 wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@tbill1 wrote:

Thanks, I'm well aware that transferred recordings to a new box are cloud recordings.  I'm referring to when the tech is at my house and I just record any channel to see what happens.  I bring this up because I saw somewhere where Xfinity had a box without a hard. drive that only made cloud recordings. Are you saying all Xfinity dvrs have a hard drive?

yes. the new xg1v4 4k/UHD capable seems to have an SSD drive (no spinning disks) but no verification of that specification so far.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@tbill1 wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@tbill1 wrote:

Thanks, I'm well aware that transferred recordings to a new box are cloud recordings.  I'm referring to when the tech is at my house and I just record any channel to see what happens.  I bring this up because I saw somewhere where Xfinity had a box without a hard. drive that only made cloud recordings. Are you saying all Xfinity dvrs have a hard drive?

yes. the new xg1v4 4k/UHD capable seems to have an SSD drive (no spinning disks) but no verification of that specification so far.

What is this all about?  

https://www.theverge.com/2013/6/11/4418868/comcast-xi3-dvr-ditches-hard-drive-puts-your-recordings-i...

Regular Contributor

@ComcastJoeTru wrote:

Hello tbill1. We appreciate you visiting and posting on our Forums. I can assist with troubleshooting your DVR issues. 

What Rustyben has stated is a valid point: "when you make a recording, it is both recorded in the home on your physical DVR and in the cloud (as a backup in only stereo audio). if you swap out the DVR you will at first have only the cloud DVR recordings available to watch"

So was I correct in rejecting a replacement box/DVR as defective- that would  make test recordings that were only cloud recordings and not show as "DVR" ?

Expert

@tbill1 wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@tbill1 wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@tbill1 wrote:

What is this all about?  

that is a 2013 article. Comcast now has an instant TV product that can be used with their xfinity internet to have maximum 2 devices 'streaming' (no set top box) and a cloud lite DVR with 2 tuners maximum and 20 hours of storage. add one set top box DVR and you get cloud DVR 60 hours, up to 6 tuners, and home DVR that can hold 100+ hours and 5.1 stereo for cable channels.

Expert

@tbill1 wrote:

@ComcastJoeTru wrote:

So was I correct in rejecting a replacement box/DVR as defective- that would  make test recordings that were only cloud recordings and not show as "DVR" ?

what was the model number?

Regular Contributor

I don't have t

@Rustyben wrote:

@tbill1 wrote:

@ComcastJoeTru wrote:

Sorry, I have no reason to have that, as I made him take the box back.  As I said before, I made at least 5 short test recordings and every one had a cloud-no plain DVR designation.  The tech kept insisting the box had no hard drive and that all "cloud only" recordings was normal.

Highlighted
Expert

@tbill1 wrote:

I don't have t

@Rustyben wrote:

@tbill1 wrote:

@ComcastJoeTru wrote:

Sorry, I have no reason to have that, as I made him take the box back.  As I said before, I made at least 5 short test recordings and every one had a cloud-no plain DVR designation.  The tech kept insisting the box had no hard drive and that all "cloud only" recordings was normal.

I saw a thread/post a very long time ago that said in one market they had that x2 like service but no details about it or if it is still 'sold' as a package. the instant TV lets you use Roku or the TV's app store (if available) to run the stream app. 

Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@tbill1 wrote:

I don't have t

@Rustyben wrote:

@tbill1 wrote:

@ComcastJoeTru wrote:

I saw a thread/post a very long time ago that said in one market they had that x2 like service but no details about it or if it is still 'sold' as a package. the instant TV lets you use Roku or the TV's app store (if available) to run the stream app. 

The box/dvr he tried to give me looked exactly like my old one-which he said also didn't have a hard drive.  My old one always had a dvr designation when I made a recording-not cloud

Gold Problem Solver

At this point you don't want cloud only recording capability. Cloud recordings have noticably poorer picture quality (barely 480p) and the sound is simple stereo (no DD 5.1).

@tbill1 wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@tbill1 wrote:

I don't have t

@Rustyben wrote:

@tbill1 wrote:

@ComcastJoeTru wrote:

The box/dvr he tried to give me looked exactly like my old one-which he said also didn't have a hard drive.  My old one always had a dvr designation when I made a recording-not cloud

Regular Contributor

@RickGr4 wrote:

At this point you don't want cloud only recording capability. Cloud recordings have noticably poorer picture quality (barely 480p) and the sound is simple stereo (no DD 5.1).

@tbill1 wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@tbill1 wrote:

I don't have t

@Rustyben wrote:

@tbill1 wrote:

@ComcastJoeTru wrote:

I know I don't.  It gets very uncomfortable when the tech spends 15 minutes for everything to load on the new DVR and then I tell him I don't want it because of that (cloud) and he keeps insisting that it is normal and I am wrong to not want it.

Expert

@tbill1 wrote:

@RickGr4 wrote:

@tbill1 wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@tbill1 wrote:

I don't have t

@Rustyben wrote:

@tbill1 wrote:

@ComcastJoeTru wrote:

I know I don't.  It gets very uncomfortable when the tech spends 15 minutes for everything to load on the new DVR and then I tell him I don't want it because of that (cloud) and he keeps insisting that it is normal and I am wrong to not want it.

Take a phone photo of the bottom of the 'no dvr' box if you get a chance. all have clocks but the new one that has a viewed from front shape of

_____

\------/  with one green LED on middle front.

Regular Contributor

Take a phone photo of the bottom of the 'no dvr' box if you get a chance. all have clocks but the new one that has a viewed from front shape of

_____

I don't know what you mean by "no DVR box"  Do you mean no hard drive, because I have seen written  that all the DVRs still have hard drives. 

Expert

@tbill1 wrote:

_____

I don't know what you mean by "no DVR box"  Do you mean no hard drive, because I have seen written  that all the DVRs still have hard drives. 

The DVR that the tech said had no DVR (that set top box).

Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@tbill1 wrote:

_____

But he was wrong.  My DVR that needs to be replaced ( I still have it) has the  "DVR"  designation on all the recordings.  The other replacement  DVR that he said had no hard drive and only made test cloud recordings was never accepted and is long gone.

Diamond Problem Solver

@tbill1, did you ever send ComcastJoeTru your account info? He may be able to see what the tech tried to install.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

o

@CCAndrew wrote:
@tbill1, did you ever send ComcastJoeTru your account info? He may be able to see what the tech tried to install.

No, because I am working with Comcast Ella.

Expert

@tbill1 wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@tbill1 wrote:

_____

But he was wrong.  My DVR that needs to be replaced ( I still have it) has the  "DVR"  designation on all the recordings.  The other replacement  DVR that he said had no hard drive and only made test cloud recordings was never accepted and is long gone.

the 'dvr' means it is watching a video from your home's DVR(s) not that it 'is' a DVR. 

there are two types of X1 set top boxes. first is a DVR (hub) and another hub non-DVR Xg2 (has tuners it can loan out). the second type is companion set top box (xi3/xid/xi5/xi6) that uses the tuner/internet connection and access to any home DVRs of a hub. currently the only X1 DVRs have a clock OR is a new Xg1v4 4k/uhd with one small rectangular power LED in the middle front of the set top box.

Regular Contributor

@

the 'dvr' means it is watching a video from your home's DVR(s) not that it 'is' a DVR. 

there are two types of X1 set top boxes. first is a DVR (hub) and another hub non-DVR Xg2 (has tuners it can loan out). the second type is companion set top box (xi3/xid/xi5/xi6) that uses the tuner/internet connection and access to any home DVRs of a hub. currently the only X1 DVRs have a clock OR is a new Xg1v4 4k/uhd with one small rectangular power LED in the middle front of the set top box.

He could not have given me the Xg1V4k/uhd because that doesn't have Digital Optical out and the replacement box he attempted to give me did.

Diamond Problem Solver

Could it have been an XG2? It fits with what you describe was happening.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

@CCAndrew wrote:
Could it have been an XG2? It fits with what you describe was happening.

Nope,  I have 2 XG2's and they are consideribly smaller with no clock.  The box/DVR  he unwrapped looked very similar to the one I have.

Official Employee

Hello all,

We don't have any DVR boxes that only make Cloud recordings and don't have a physical hard drive. I can't really say what exactly was happening with the DVR box but a system refresh could resolve the issue. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.