Community Forum

DVR recordings disappeared

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: DVR recordings disappeared

(FWIW, all of ours also say DVR in the corner when we play them so that doesn't explain the disappearing act.) I private messaged ComcastChe but no response so far. The other Comcast employees in this thread seem to be no longer with the company. Anyone have any success with someone actively helping them? Thanks again!
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: DVR recordings disappeared

I have 2 episodes of Nature: one appears on "Media Room" list and both appear on "All Devices" list of recorded programs.  When I play either one and press the "OK" button after the banner disappears, the word DVR is visible.  There is no cloud symbol.  Not for either program.  

 

I really don't care whether I am watching a cloud or DVR program.  I am only concerned with being able to access the programs I record and watch them when I choose to watch them without worrying about them dropping off my list.

 

Some of my older programs, like NCIS had been programmed to record before the TYVO lawsuit.  After the lawsuit was settled and the RECORD button was returned to the internet interface, I found that those programs were not appearing on the "Media Room" list, but were showing up on the "All Devices" list.  I then cancelled all future recordings of those programs and reprogrammed them through the DVR interface.  They now show up on the "Media Room" list and I do not have to worry about them being auto deleted.  I still find myself periodically comparing the two lists of scheduled programs instead of the saved programs.  That seems to be the best way to see what's going on.  And I have found that the ONLY way to compare the lists is to take a pen and pad and write down each program.  Time consuming, but worth it.  Using the interface to tell you how many programs are on your list doesn't work.

 

This is what works for me and my DVR.  It has been an aggravating journey, but right now I feel I finally have some control over my recorded TV programs.

 

An

Highlighted
Official Employee

Re: DVR recordings disappeared

Hi @abouttogiveup

 

I've been investigating your account and recordings and will have an update shortly. 


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Expert

Re: DVR recordings disappeared


@foxes-1 wrote:

I have 2 episodes of Nature: one appears on "Media Room" list and both appear on "All Devices" list of recorded programs.  When I play either one and press the "OK" button after the banner disappears, the word DVR is visible.  There is no cloud symbol.  Not for either program.  

 

I really don't care whether I am watching a cloud or DVR program.  I am only concerned with being able to access the programs I record and watch them when I choose to watch them without worrying about them dropping off my list.

 

Some of my older programs, like NCIS had been programmed to record before the TYVO lawsuit.  After the lawsuit was settled and the RECORD button was returned to the internet interface, I found that those programs were not appearing on the "Media Room" list, but were showing up on the "All Devices" list.  I then cancelled all future recordings of those programs and reprogrammed them through the DVR interface.  They now show up on the "Media Room" list and I do not have to worry about them being auto deleted.  I still find myself periodically comparing the two lists of scheduled programs instead of the saved programs.  That seems to be the best way to see what's going on.  And I have found that the ONLY way to compare the lists is to take a pen and pad and write down each program.  Time consuming, but worth it.  Using the interface to tell you how many programs are on your list doesn't work.

 

This is what works for me and my DVR.  It has been an aggravating journey, but right now I feel I finally have some control over my recorded TV programs.

 

An


there is only 'one' recording. you are seeing it on the all devices and on the separate device you selected. the home X1 equipment will play the home DVR copy if available. power failures and other events can cause your home DVR to not have a copy. in that case the home X1 equipment will 'fall back' to the cloud DVR copy and play that copy.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: DVR recordings disappeared

I could not possibly have had that many power failures or other events.  Once I re-programmed all of my older programs through the DVR interface, there were no more programs deleting themselves and the recordings showed up where I expected them to.  I don't think that was coincidence.

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: DVR recordings disappeared

I have had this issue before but wrote it off to user error!! LOL My issue might seem like a variation of other reported issues. On my DVR say there are episodes 1-12 of Van Helsing. I watch the first 5 and looked ahead and saw episode 7 and 9 were missing. All other are still there 5, 6, 8 and 10-12. When I go to list episodes, 7 and 9 are now listed as availble to buy. Even on the NBC app it says video no longer available. So could the issue maybe be related to content owner just pulling the content's availability? Just wondering how they would know I have a copy on my DVR? The wife now wants to watch everything before it disappears which sort of defeats the purpose of a DVR!!!

Highlighted
Expert

Re: DVR recordings disappeared


@Vinsterx wrote:

I have had this issue before but wrote it off to user error!! LOL My issue might seem like a variation of other reported issues. On my DVR say there are episodes 1-12 of Van Helsing. I watch the first 5 and looked ahead and saw episode 7 and 9 were missing. All other are still there 5, 6, 8 and 10-12. When I go to list episodes, 7 and 9 are now listed as availble to buy. Even on the NBC app it says video no longer available. So could the issue maybe be related to content owner just pulling the content's availability? Just wondering how they would know I have a copy on my DVR? The wife now wants to watch everything before it disappears which sort of defeats the purpose of a DVR!!!


change your recording series option to 'new and repeats'. as the shows run over and over during the summer you can pick the missing episodes back up.  you could try a free trial of syfy when you have time to binge.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

Re: DVR recordings disappeared

I am having the same problem. New DVR box in last month or so, only one box, only record from box (not internet), box never above 30% full, and recordings disappear for no reason. When you pay hundreds of dollars per month, you expect the service to work. Comcast, why haven't you fixed this?!?! It's clearly been a problem for years now. This didn't happen until I recently got the new box. Unacceptable. Might be time to switch to youtubetv.
Highlighted
Expert

Re: DVR recordings disappeared


@soannoyed1927 wrote:
I am having the same problem. New DVR box in last month or so, only one box, only record from box (not internet), box never above 30% full, and recordings disappear for no reason. When you pay hundreds of dollars per month, you expect the service to work. Comcast, why haven't you fixed this?!?! It's clearly been a problem for years now. This didn't happen until I recently got the new box. Unacceptable. Might be time to switch to youtubetv.

are you in a multi-person living environment (apartment/condo)? you may just be missing a POE filter so others can see/remove your device's recordigs).



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

Re: DVR recordings disappeared

No.
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: DVR recordings disappeared

This issue just happened to me. Not amused at all!!
There was a programme that was on about 4 months ago and it just vanished. That and a bunch more. Had plenty space left in dvr.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: DVR recordings disappeared

I am back again. Several more recordings disappeared after 6 weeks without a problem. I try to delete other stuff to clear space and I get an error message saying I need to reboot my box. I am so disappointed in this service. Given how widespread this apparently is, I wonder if it is even fixable...
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: DVR recordings disappeared

Is anyone tracking the networks the shows were on where this happens?   I had not had this problem in years, but recently started recording RuPaul's Drag Race and a couple have disappeared by themselves.  They record normally and  can be watched from the DVR copy while still recording but later they are just gone. 

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: DVR recordings disappeared

This happens to us every few months or so. We will go from 89 percent down to 65. Old stuff is there, new stuff is gone. We call every time and they cant tell us anything except to reboot and that never works. They never tell us what happened and always seem clueless. It happened again last night. Lots of our kiddo shows and movies just gone.
Highlighted
Expert

Re: DVR recordings disappeared

are the 'current' (older) recordings set to keep for one year? 



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: DVR recordings disappeared

Add me to the list of customers with vanishing DVR recordings. Went from 86% to 44% with no warning, around 6/24/2020. The supposed one year time limit doesn't apply, as our oldest recording is from December of 2017. We did not record anything new that might have caused automatic deletions. Can my problem be investigated, please?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: DVR recordings disappeared

I still have an older non-X-1, non-Internet connected Motorola DCX3501/RNG200N DVR, which was still available when I replaced an even older one of the same model that was starting to fail. I specifically wanted this DVR for a couple reasons, one being that I could pass through the native signal from the cable without it being converted in the box, which is a sort of moot point now theat Comcast reencodes everything and converts it down to 720p anyway at the head end, although it's still a good function to have. The other reason is because it is not connected to Internet storage, and the automatic deletions after a year, which I was told can be extended another year by starting to play the video after you get a warning, which I don't know is true because I don't have an X-1 box. Anyway, I always have the shows recorded set to save until I delete, but recently I noticed that a couple of programs at least, both from CBS, were no longer on the DVR. One was a 60 Minutes program that was over a year old, and the other was a CBS Sunday Morning program that was only a month or two old. I checked my DVR history, which would at least show it for the recent program, and there's no record of it being deleted, which there would have been if I had deleted it. I wonder if there's some special under the table arrangement with CBS for this type of behavior. My DVR did recently get up over 85% full, but it should never delete a recording without warning me to delete something because it was reaching capacity. There were also a couple of electrical power interruptions for about 40 seconds and other shorter ones that rebooted the box, but again that should never affect DVR recordings. I know that I recently deleted a lot of older recordings that I didn't need anymore, and some were two or three years old, so I don't have anything before 2020 currently on the box, but that may be because I deleted them. This box is not supposed to automatically delete old recordings. Which is what it did with the 60 Minutes show, unless I deleted it and forgot. But it definitely deleted the recent CBS Sunday Morning program with no input from me and left no record of it being deleted.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: DVR recordings disappeared

To your points, the x1gv4 X1 box is really pretty good at upscaling things so you probably wouldn't miss the native resolution output (although I agree that should have been kept as an option).  And it retains your local copies of recordings even if the cloud copy is deleted for exceeding time limits.

 

And I solved my own mystery of deleted recordings I mention earlier - it turned out my son had watched and deleted them remotely using an app and his secondary login.   I guess we had both set the recording without noticing it was already set.