Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

DVR recording are not being recorded locally

Regular Visitor

DVR recording are not being recorded locally

I can test for this.  Because when I fast forward thru a DVR and it looks like a slide show in fast motion.  Then the recording isn't really on my device.

This happens if you have a bunch of recordings.  Then swap your box for a new one.  All your recordings are still there, but there not actually on the box anymore.

Anyway I don't know why this is happening though. 

Official Employee

Re: DVR recording are not being recorded locally

Did you swap your DVR recently?
Regular Visitor

No, I was giving that as an example.  Same box for a few years now

This just started happening last week.

Expert

@Galvin wrote:

No, I was giving that as an example.  Same box for a few years now

This just started happening last week.

you don't state your equipment model numbers but what you describe could be two different things.

1) in home DVR did not record the program for some reason and the X1 set top box you are watching played back the available cloud recording (stereo only).

2) the set top box you are watching can not communicate with the in-home DVR so it plays the cloud recording.

note that you can determine you are watching the cloud DVR copy of a recording while playing the recording normally press the OK button. Upper left will have a white cloud icon + DVR or just DVR.

Regular Visitor

Theres no cloud icon.  Just that when I fast forward.  Its not smooth, it like a slide show in fast motion.  The box should be able to record 6 shows at once.  So I'm not going over the limit.

Its just weird.  Not sure what the info is of the box.  Just that its an X1 from a few years ago.

Expert

@Galvin wrote:

Theres no cloud icon.  Just that when I fast forward.  Its not smooth, it like a slide show in fast motion.  The box should be able to record 6 shows at once.  So I'm not going over the limit.

Its just weird.  Not sure what the info is of the box.  Just that its an X1 from a few years ago.

what equipment do you have? some of the small set top boxes 'take' a tuner from the DVR. the XG2 has tuners to loan out to free up the DVR from having to provide tuners. I've never seen that jerkiness when watching a recording that wasn't cloud. are you sure what you were watching said just DVR? on demand has that same snapshot preview that you describe while fast forwarding.

Regular Visitor

Theres no jerkyness when watching, but its harder to fastforward thru, since its not smooth. It skips thru fewer frames when you go to 4speed.  Its more annoying.

The box is all in one.  It doesn't need anything else. I've been told this one has 6 tuners.  This was new at the time. Around 2 years ago.  The one before that one was a lot bigger.  It has voice.  Just called X1