Community Forum

DVR is not recording the buffered portion of a live program

Silver Problem Solver

Re: DVR is not recording the buffered portion of a live program

@joeydijulio wrote:

My point is there should be differance between DVR and OnDemand.

If everything is recorded by default (which, it probably nearly already is anyway, when you take into account the millions upon millions of customers, I'm sure that a high percentage of everything broadcast across all channels / locales is already being recorded by at least one subscriber, which of course means it's being synced to the cloud DVR and stored centrally anyway - today!), then there is absolutely no need for local storage whatsoever. All it becomes is a matter of indexing.

Functionally, when people want to "record" something all they are doing in effect by saying "record this show" is simply telling Comcast you'd like to bookmark something that has already been (or, in the case of live, in the process of being) recorded in the cloud DVR library. You can then replay at your leisure, just as you do today. If you start the show halfway through and hit record, no biggie. You're simply bookmarking the already recorded / already recording show in cloud DVR. No muss, no fuss. Easy peasy.

It's a very simple design: Record everything possible by default in Cloud DVR. Get rid of hard drives in all DVRs. If people want "DVR service" their set-top-box is allowed to tap into the cloud DVR content. If they don't want "DVR service" that same set-top-box isn't allowed to tap into the cloud DVR service. Done.

If they are concerned about keeping around content that NOBODY has bookmarked / recorded, simply purge data after, say, a week or a month if there is no record requests at all.

This is the epitiomy of "Keep It Simple, Stupid".

I believe that is the long-range direction Comcast is going.  Eventually, the STB will not have a hard drive.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

Currently cloud DVR recordings are accessed via the apps on your Apple or Android devices using the Xfinity TV apps or through the computer on the website. But I've heard very soon there should be an update that makes them available on the DVRs too. You'll see a cloud symbol next to the recording to indicate it's on the cloud.
Silver Problem Solver

@igp6 wrote:
Currently cloud DVR recordings are accessed via the apps on your Apple or Android devices using the Xfinity TV apps or through the computer on the website. But I've heard very soon there should be an update that makes them available on the DVRs too. You'll see a cloud symbol next to the recording to indicate it's on the cloud.

I saw a post from someone who had that symbol.  It may be a "rolling" update across the markets.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Expert

you can 'see' it by unplugging your DVRs and recording a short show in progress like TVLand. Once it is completed, plug back in DVR and check recordings. When you play back what you recorded while the DVR(s) was unplugged the status bar will show the cloud symbol, and if you have on the comcast labs transport bar the cloud symbol will be in upper left corner.

edit:" by record i mean run the TV app and hit record on a live program on for example TVLand.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Most Valued Poster

@Rustyben wrote:

you can 'see' it by unplugging your DVRs and recording a short show in progress like TVLand. Once it is completed, plug back in DVR and check recordings. When you play back what you recorded while the DVR(s) was unplugged the status bar will show the cloud symbol, and if you have on the comcast labs transport bar the cloud symbol will be in upper left corner.

edit:" by record i mean run the TV app and hit record on a live program on for example TVLand.

You had me worried there for a minute....can't record if the DVR is unplugged....lol.  So you are saying I can record the show after it starts and the entire content will be on the cloud if I access via the app or the pc?

Frequent Visitor

Even worse, this worked on my old Motorola DVRs.  I had to switch to x1 to keep my HD channels.  I just did this on 9/20/2016.

FYI, My DVR boxes have 1.66.10 FW and XRE 280.  So it is not fixed yet.

I have 2 main DVR X1 boxes because the slave/companion boxes don't have component video output.  My old DLP HD TV doesn't have hdmi In, only component and dvi.  I was told that the x1 boxes couldn't be set to output a 1080i signal required by my old set so I bought 2 new HD TVs.  I needed 2 master DVR boxes because the companion box doesn't have digital audio out or component out. My av receivers are old and don't have hdmi in.  It turns out that the main boxes can be set to 1080i so I could have used my old DLP HD TV and my newer HD TV would have worked with the DVR boxes.  This was all due to the information I got from a chat with support online.  So, I lost the ability to record the buffer and had to buy 2 new TVs based on incorrect information from CS. 

Frequent Visitor

@RobertWy wrote:

@igp6 wrote:

I saw a post from someone who had that symbol.  It may be a "rolling" update across the markets.

It hasn't happened yet here in Saint Johns,  FL

Frequent Visitor

@ComcastNickM wrote:

Hi all,

Sorry about the wait here. I can confirm that the functionality to capture the portion of the program in the buffer as part of the recording has been removed for both policy and product reasons. This change now provides a consistent recording experience from all set-top boxes in the home due to the fact that the Cloud version of the recording would not contain the time-shift buffer. In addition, this helps us pave the way for some exciting new functionality that we are working on with our Cloud DVR.

I understand this may be frustrating to a lot of users who found the buffer recording very useful, so I am here to hopefully shed some light on any feedback, concerns, questions, etc. I'd like for us to be as transparent as we possibly can here, so feel free to ask away.

Thanks,

-Nick

I had 2 DVR boxes installed on 9/20/2016 and can't record the buffer on either one so it is not just to provide a "consistent recording experience from all set-top boxes in the home".

Frequent Visitor

2 more upset 12-year customers (wife and I). Had triple play ($$$) and 2 Motorola DVRs. One with add-on WD HD (Comcast approved) to expand capacity. Worked fantastic. Never ran out of space. THEN, the monopoly started putting a message on our TV that would not go away without user action, several times an hour. Translated into English it basically said upgrade equipment or "could" lose HD. JUST press these buttons and we will send self-install upgrade equipment to X1. Became an incredible nuisance.

After researching X1, OK sounds good. Probably time to upgrade. To be fair, self-install 2 DVRs and one non-DVR went perfectly and without a hitch (I use my own router. Router in xfinity modem turned off by Comcast techs when I added triple play years ago because of it and never any problems).

What CUSTOMERS would EVER have thought buffered live recordings would go bye-bye WITH UPGRADED CAPABILITIES? Certainly won't find that on X1 marketing and FAQ pages. Buffered recordings is an absolute necessity for my wife and I.

Besides local news and such which is not on demand, many many WeatherChannel shows aren't on demand. Likewise many other "specialty" channels. Many times we tune in and then want the whole show on whatever is not on demand. Don't tell us we don't. That is OUR choice as customers to make.

Don't really care about technical excuses and technological REGRESSION of capabilities in order to PROGRESS. Wow. Doublespeak. We want live buffering back. WE ARE THE CUSTOMERS. I grew up in retail and customers went elsewhere when the product wasn't available and/or customer service was bad. Do you think they would come back? Now I'm an engineer.

In our area, Comcast IS a monopoly and the only viable choice. No where else to go to. Because of that, they need to be better than this. THEY is both top-down and bottom-up. Starting at the highest corporate office.

I will ignore replies trying to justify. I want solutions, not excuses. And within my lifetime would be preferable. I can just imagine my customers response if I told them I had to take away capability in order to make them progress. I used to be adamant about the government staying out of cable. Now since they act like monopolies (really? look at who owns who and how many corporations they own), I have about-faced. This doesn't help.

Gold Problem Solver

X1 may be new to you but it is now over three years old.

Your concern is well known and has been widely discussed here.

@facmanzoo wrote:

2 more upset 12-year customers (wife and I). Had triple play ($$$) and 2 Motorola DVRs. One with add-on WD HD (Comcast approved) to expand capacity. Worked fantastic. Never ran out of space. THEN, the monopoly started putting a message on our TV that would not go away without user action, several times an hour. Translated into English it basically said upgrade equipment or "could" lose HD. JUST press these buttons and we will send self-install upgrade equipment to X1. Became an incredible nuisance.

After researching X1, OK sounds good. Probably time to upgrade. To be fair, self-install 2 DVRs and one non-DVR went perfectly and without a hitch (I use my own router. Router in xfinity modem turned off by Comcast techs when I added triple play years ago because of it and never any problems).

What CUSTOMERS would EVER have thought buffered live recordings would go bye-bye WITH UPGRADED CAPABILITIES? Certainly won't find that on X1 marketing and FAQ pages. Buffered recordings is an absolute necessity for my wife and I.

Besides local news and such which is not on demand, many many WeatherChannel shows aren't on demand. Likewise many other "specialty" channels. Many times we tune in and then want the whole show on whatever is not on demand. Don't tell us we don't. That is OUR choice as customers to make.

Don't really care about technical excuses and technological REGRESSION of capabilities in order to PROGRESS. Wow. Doublespeak. We want live buffering back. WE ARE THE CUSTOMERS. I grew up in retail and customers went elsewhere when the product wasn't available and/or customer service was bad. Do you think they would come back? Now I'm an engineer.

In our area, Comcast IS a monopoly and the only viable choice. No where else to go to. Because of that, they need to be better than this. THEY is both top-down and bottom-up. Starting at the highest corporate office.

I will ignore replies trying to justify. I want solutions, not excuses. And within my lifetime would be preferable. I can just imagine my customers response if I told them I had to take away capability in order to make them progress. I used to be adamant about the government staying out of cable. Now since they act like monopolies (really? look at who owns who and how many corporations they own), I have about-faced. This doesn't help.

Most Valued Poster

@facmanzoo wrote:

----------------------------

Like Rick said the removal of the live buffer feature has been widely discussed and fussed about on here. I assume you have read some of the posts and the 'ratioanale' for why they took it away. Its not the only useful feature we have lost in the last year or so and brace yourself....there will be more.  We have lost real slo mo, frame by frame, live buffer recording and  font options (they have given us a partial fix in Labs but it took years to get it) just to name a few.  They add bells and whistles  and fluff aimed at specific target audiences that do not benefit the universal user.  And we have many bugs that are not fixed. Welcome to the jungle!

Most Valued Poster

I have been watching with great interest the  COX cable  new Contour platform commercials. In the Wash DC area certain areas are only Cox and certain are only Comcast. The Contour platform looks exactly like X1......equipment, screens,  voice remote, number of tuners, etc.  From what I have read the operation is a mirror of X1 .  For the heck of it I googled  'Contour recording a show that has already started' and guess what? Look below!

"Note: The DVR will record the show from the beginning if it has been tuned to the channel from the time the show began"

http://www.cox.com/residential/support/tv/article.cox?articleId=325d2c30-5c45-11df-ed4d-000000000000

So I have to ask Comcast...HUH?

Diamond Problem Solver

@TerriB wrote:

I have been watching with great interest the  COX cable  new Contour platform commercials. In the Wash DC area certain areas are only Cox and certain are only Comcast. The Contour platform looks exactly like X1......equipment, screens,  voice remote, number of tuners, etc.  From what I have read the operation is a mirror of X1 .  For the heck of it I googled  'Contour recording a show that has already started' and guess what? Look below!

"Note: The DVR will record the show from the beginning if it has been tuned to the channel from the time the show began"

http://www.cox.com/residential/support/tv/article.cox?articleId=325d2c30-5c45-11df-ed4d-000000000000

Did you happen to also Google if Cox has a cloud dvr? They don't....

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Most Valued Poster

@CCAndrew wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

Did you happen to also Google if Cox has a cloud dvr? They don't....

Andrew....thanks for the quick response. No they don't yet and guess their customers will be on a rampage once that happens to them like it did to us. Still not sure I totally understand why having the cloud keeps us from having a buffer but there are lots of things in life I don't understand. 😒🤔😭😰😥😩

Gold Problem Solver

If I had a choice between buffering and cloud DVR, I would choose buffering every time....
Most Valued Poster

@RickGr4 wrote:
If I had a choice between buffering and cloud DVR, I would choose buffering every time....

My Man! From your lips to Comcast's ears!

Problem Solver

@RickGr4 wrote:

Sorry, but I would choose Cloud DVR. It's great for watching when away from home (vacation, business, etc).

The bottom line is why can't they do both? I know the excuse already, "to keep things in sync", but is that really important. I'm sure they could easily add a disclaimer on the Cloud DVR stating that Cloud recordings may not include the buffered portion. See, simple fix.

And, there are already things that aren't in sync between the Cloud and physical DVR.

Regular Visitor

I recently in the last month exchanged my Motorola DVR's for the XG1 units thinking this would be an upgrade and I could save some money with one less DVR. To my dismay I also discovered the X1 DVR's don't record the buffered portion of a live show. Most shows that I would use this great feature (that was available in the past) for are not ON DEMAND shows. Have you ever had to fast foward an "On Demand" show to get past the part you don't want to see -- 2X max is alittle limiting of your time.

I could have the TV on a channel and go in and out of the room doing other things like grilling out and if something of interest came on I could just hit record and play the whole show back later. 

Comcast has to remember that they have been advertizing that "Google Fiber"  is coming to town( Atlanta ) --but oh they don't have the CLOUD features. Well MAYBE we don't all need the "cloud features" so it might be bye bye Comcast.

Expert

@bob_pe wrote:

I recently in the last month exchanged my Motorola DVR's for the XG1 units thinking this would be an upgrade and I could save some money with one less DVR. To my dismay I also discovered the X1 DVR's don't record the buffered portion of a live show. Most shows that I would use this great feature (that was available in the past) for are not ON DEMAND shows. Have you ever had to fast foward an "On Demand" show to get past the part you don't want to see -- 2X max is alittle limiting of your time.

I could have the TV on a channel and go in and out of the room doing other things like grilling out and if something of interest came on I could just hit record and play the whole show back later. 

Comcast has to remember that they have been advertizing that "Google Fiber"  is coming to town( Atlanta ) --but oh they don't have the CLOUD features. Well MAYBE we don't all need the "cloud features" so it might be bye bye Comcast.

Fwiw, TiVo/RoVi own the patent to that function and the patent is being enforced with the X1 equipment. However TiVos patent on most DVR technology (frame by frame, recording of buffer on hot-record, swapping between available tuners and associated buffers, and others expire by the end of 2018. As the patents fall off, Comcast will be free to add the features to the X1 and later set top boxes.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Regular Visitor

AHA the truth finally filters out. If they had said this in the first place they would not look so stupid.

Come on Comcast man up we're not little kids. Just give us the real facts.

Regular Contributor

Biggest problem with this would be response time.  When I hit "Pause," I obviously want it to pause, not continue for another X seconds before pausing.  Or, when fast-forwarding through commercials, when I press "Play" I want to resume watching the program, not continue fast-forwarding at the 4X speed for another 15 seconds.

@joeydijulio wrote:

My point is there should be differance between DVR and OnDemand.

If everything is recorded by default (which, it probably nearly already is anyway, when you take into account the millions upon millions of customers, I'm sure that a high percentage of everything broadcast across all channels / locales is already being recorded by at least one subscriber, which of course means it's being synced to the cloud DVR and stored centrally anyway - today!), then there is absolutely no need for local storage whatsoever. All it becomes is a matter of indexing.

Functionally, when people want to "record" something all they are doing in effect by saying "record this show" is simply telling Comcast you'd like to bookmark something that has already been (or, in the case of live, in the process of being) recorded in the cloud DVR library. You can then replay at your leisure, just as you do today. If you start the show halfway through and hit record, no biggie. You're simply bookmarking the already recorded / already recording show in cloud DVR. No muss, no fuss. Easy peasy.

It's a very simple design: Record everything possible by default in Cloud DVR. Get rid of hard drives in all DVRs. If people want "DVR service" their set-top-box is allowed to tap into the cloud DVR content. If they don't want "DVR service" that same set-top-box isn't allowed to tap into the cloud DVR service. Done.

If they are concerned about keeping around content that NOBODY has bookmarked / recorded, simply purge data after, say, a week or a month if there is no record requests at all.

This is the epitiomy of "Keep It Simple, Stupid".

CIAO!

Ed N.
Frequent Visitor

Not recording the buffered portion is very irritating, but I've found that it's just one of several downgrades with the X1 box:

1. As mentioned above, can no longer record back to the beginning of a show.

2. Can no longer frame by frame slow motion.

3. Can no longer have multiple named Favorite Channel lists.

4. Can no longer set show reminders.

5. Watchlist is no longer available.

6. Can no longer add an external hard drive

7. Not sure if this one is just my own learning issue, but "new releases" no longer means "new releases". Instead, it now means newly added. If I want to check new movie releases, it's very frustrating to sort through a bunch of 30-year-old movies.

Silver Problem Solver

@Glen20 wrote:

Not recording the buffered portion is very irritating, but I've found that it's just one of several downgrades with the X1 box:

1. As mentioned above, can no longer record back to the beginning of a show.

2. Can no longer frame by frame slow motion.

3. Can no longer have multiple named Favorite Channel lists.

4. Can no longer set show reminders.

5. Watchlist is no longer available.

6. Can no longer add an external hard drive

7. Not sure if this one is just my own learning issue, but "new releases" no longer means "new releases". Instead, it now means newly added. If I want to check new movie releases, it's very frustrating to sort through a bunch of 30-year-old movies.

Reminders have returned.

Expert
Moved:

Contributor

I see 3 years of people asking for this and still it's the same way, no recording of the buffered portion of the show.  Should we take the hint and shut up?  For 200 bucks a month,  ahhh no, can an actual comcast rep do something? Please?!  BTW clicked on the address for the moved post and was told I did not have the authority to go there.  Dang it respect my ATHORITIE!

Expert

@rthbear wrote:

I see 3 years of people asking for this and still it's the same way, no recording of the buffered portion of the show.  Should we take the hint and shut up?  For 200 bucks a month,  ahhh no, can an actual comcast rep do something? Please?!  BTW clicked on the address for the moved post and was told I did not have the authority to go there.  Dang it respect my ATHORITIE!

Tivo's enforcement of their 'time machine' patents end by end of 2018. Hopefully we will have the feature 'back' again after that (in local DVR at least, cloud DVR probably can't do that feature).

Tags (1)
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

So, it is 2017 and we are waiting for Xfinity to come and install our tv and internet service today.  Was excited about the x1, but now I learn that the x1 does not have a feature that we use constantly on our 1995 dvr, the ability to record buffered content.   From what I read, it seems the X1 is a step backward on several fronts.  So, here I am researching other options, Directv and Dish, before I even get the Xfinity service.   It s likely we will "ditch" Xfinity tv in the near future, if I can find a good line of sight for satellite.  

Expert

@dusty65 wrote:

So, it is 2017 and we are waiting for Xfinity to come and install our tv and internet service today.  Was excited about the x1, but now I learn that the x1 does not have a feature that we use constantly on our 1995 dvr, the ability to record buffered content.   From what I read, it seems the X1 is a step backward on several fronts.  So, here I am researching other options, Directv and Dish, before I even get the Xfinity service.   It s likely we will "ditch" Xfinity tv in the near future, if I can find a good line of sight for satellite.  

Comcast is having to comply with TiVo's patents on 'time machine' functions. These patents expire during 2017/2018 and I hope at that time Comcast adds it back to the home DVR function along with slomo, reverse, frame by frame, etc.

New Poster

So new to Comcast coming over from Cox for the last decade. Not only does it not record buffered content - but for me even more egregious - it doesn't buffer content from the previous channel. On Cox Contour I could flip threw 6 different channels (as long as I wasn't recording anything) and it would buffer every single one of those six channels for an hour. So if I am watching 6 college football games, I could flip back to a channel and rewind 20 minutes to catch whatever I may have missed. 

This is so obnoxious. And if it's a patent issue - why does it not apply to Cox? 

This thread started 2+ years ago and we're still waiting on a fix? Seriously? 

Expert

@DavidUter wrote:

So new to Comcast coming over from Cox for the last decade. Not only does it not record buffered content - but for me even more egregious - it doesn't buffer content from the previous channel. On Cox Contour I could flip threw 6 different channels (as long as I wasn't recording anything) and it would buffer every single one of those six channels for an hour. So if I am watching 6 college football games, I could flip back to a channel and rewind 20 minutes to catch whatever I may have missed. 

This is so obnoxious. And if it's a patent issue - why does it not apply to Cox? 

no official employee has given the reason although TiVo (Rovi) has sued many companies over their Time-Machine patents. Comcast appears not to want to enter into contracts to use the patent Intellectual Property covered under those patents. Note that many of Tivo's patents expire during 2017 and 2018.

Contributor

Thank you I appreciate the information so much

New Poster

@DavidUter wrote:

So five months later and still just as annoyed as before. Can't believe they haven't figured this out. One of these days a MSO is going to check all the boxes. They all leave something to be desired one way or the other with tech and options. 

Expert

@DavidUter wrote:

@DavidUter wrote:

So five months later and still just as annoyed as before. Can't believe they haven't figured this out. One of these days a MSO is going to check all the boxes. They all leave something to be desired one way or the other with tech and options. 

it seems that the patent will have to expire before it is added back if they want to add it at all. It would create a problem in that the cloud DVR won't be aware of the buffer in the home DVR.

Frequent Visitor

I believe your right. I hear their newest DVRs, which are the first ones capable of 4K, which right now is only streaming from Netflix, are hard-driveless.
Expert

@igp6 wrote:
I believe your right. I hear their newest DVRs, which are the first ones capable of 4K, which right now is only streaming from Netflix, are hard-driveless.

all X1 DVRs have a 500GB hard drive.

Most Valued Poster

@DavidUter wrote:

=======Did your Cox Contour buffer recordings? That was a truly dramatic loss for so many of us on X1. I miss it every single day.   I ask because we were told on the forums that  Cox did not have it. That is amazing that you could have live buffer on 6 channels...wow. From the tv ads it appears that Contour is a clone of X1 in appearance and operation.

Where I live in N. Va depending on where you live its either Comcast or Cox...they do not serve the same areas. 

New Poster

wrote:

=======Did your Cox Contour buffer recordings? That was a truly dramatic loss for so many of us on X1. I miss it every single day.   I ask because we were told on the forums that  Cox did not have it. That is amazing that you could have live buffer on 6 channels...wow. From the tv ads it appears that Contour is a clone of X1 in appearance and operation.

Yes. Cox Contour would buffer six channels at the same time for an hour each. 

Most Valued Poster

wrote:

wrote:

Yes. Cox Contour would buffer six channels at the same time for an hour each. 

Let me clarify my question. Did Cox Contour allow you to record the  buffered portion of a program you were watching  back to the beginning of the program? We used to be able to just press record and the recording buffer would do that and it was a great feature. They took it away about 2 yrs ago and said it was a patent thing.

New Poster

As far as I recall I could record the buffer on all six tuners. Certain I could rewind and watch the buffer on all tuners, but not certain I could record. This was Cox in Los Angeles FWIW. 

Most Valued Poster

wrote:

As far as I recall I could record the buffer on all six tuners. Certain I could rewind and watch the buffer on all tuners, but not certain I could record. This was Cox in Los Angeles FWIW. 

Ok thanks

New Poster

The last date I see on this topic is Feb 2018. Has there been a resolution to the problem of the X1 platform not recording the buffered portion of a live program? I have returned to Comcast after over two years away with DirecTV, and find that I am experiencing the loss of a feature that I used frequently. I was surprised to find that it had been removed from Comcast's service. I am more surprised, by reading through this forum, to find that this has been going on for customers who had already switched to new X1 equipment while I was still with Comcast.

My initial action, when I discovered the problem, was to ask for an older DVR, but that didn't give me back the functionality of recording a program from the beginning. I was only told that the feature had been removed. I have had lots of follow-up calls from customer service, but no one can tell me when the feature will be re-added to my service. From the info on this forum, if the TIVO patent expired in 2018, then Comcast should be able to fix this now.

Anyone know anything more about this now?

Diamond Problem Solver

Sorry, nothing has changed regarding that functionality.

New Poster

Andrew... Is there a plan to add this feature back?  

Diamond Problem Solver

From a technician’s point of view, I doubt it.

Most Valued Poster

@CCAndrew wrote:
From a technician’s point of view, I doubt it.

Andrew- from a techniican's point of view can you elaborate please. Isnt' this function tied to the patent issue?  I thought I read/heard that this was moving along to a decision.  This was one of the best features of DVR recording.

Thanks

Diamond Problem Solver

There isn’t anything to elaborate on, we were told and it was explained on this forum years ago why the feature was removed. Whether it was tied to something else is unknown but the feature was removed and this thread started in 2015, years before present litigation started. Don’t go by rumors.
This 4 year old thread is now closed.