Community Forum

DVR is not recording the buffered portion of a live program

Most Valued Poster

Re: DVR is not recording the buffered portion of a live program

@Rustyben wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

There is no 'list' of those of us who are really upset that the recording buffer was taken away. The messages we post  are not forwarded to anyone in Comcast. They are sometimes read by Comcast reps and they may offer rationale for removal of features but thats as far as it goes. We don't have a vehicle to ask for/demand/request/beg for useful features to be brought back and thats the WHOLE PROBLEM.

from many previous threads, it appears to be a patent issue with TiVO. Just wondering what 'we' would be willing to pay extra for the feature per DVR or account? I'd pay $1/month more for it. and for ability to switch at will to any one of the tuners (also TiVO) with all 6 being buffered automatically.

I would happily pay an extra buck and maybe we should take up a collection on Go Fund Me so they could settle their blankeyblank patent issue.

New Poster

I like the X1 platform and the On Demand is great but the feature mentioned here is definitely missed.  I didn't switch from Wow to Comcast until April so I never had it on Comcast but I did on Wow and used it often.  Not being able to rew or ff live TV on the companion boxes is something I miss even more.  Wow's UltraTV did it so why can't Comcast's?  The other thing that's missing that I had on Wow was being able to permanently change the guide to hide channels to which I don't subscribe.  If it wasn't for the difference in price, I would have already switched back to Wow and I am considering doing so anyway.  Maybe Comcast should ask it's customers what features they want instead of just deciding for us.  I'm a busy person because of my work so I get interrupted by phone calls while watching live TV quite often (especially during sporting events).  I can pause what I'm watching but sometimes after I've paused it, I have to leave.  I can start recording but I miss everything between the time I paused it and the time I hit record.  Sometimes that can be several minutes or even more.  That's crappy.  I think most of us are smart enough to know there's a difference between the in home DVR and the cloud DVR so to think we need both to be "a consistent recording experience" is ludicrous.  Please Comcast, listen to your customers and give this feature back.  Otherwise, you might just lose us.

Silver Problem Solver

@dhoose wrote:

I like the X1 platform and the On Demand is great but the feature mentioned here is definitely missed.  I didn't switch from Wow to Comcast until April so I never had it on Comcast but I did on Wow and used it often.  Not being able to rew or ff live TV on the companion boxes is something I miss even more.  Wow's UltraTV did it so why can't Comcast's?  The other thing that's missing that I had on Wow was being able to permanently change the guide to hide channels to which I don't subscribe.  If it wasn't for the difference in price, I would have already switched back to Wow and I am considering doing so anyway.  Maybe Comcast should ask it's customers what features they want instead of just deciding for us.  I'm a busy person because of my work so I get interrupted by phone calls while watching live TV quite often (especially during sporting events).  I can pause what I'm watching but sometimes after I've paused it, I have to leave.  I can start recording but I miss everything between the time I paused it and the time I hit record.  Sometimes that can be several minutes or even more.  That's crappy.  I think most of us are smart enough to know there's a difference between the in home DVR and the cloud DVR so to think we need both to be "a consistent recording experience" is ludicrous.  Please Comcast, listen to your customers and give this feature back.  Otherwise, you might just lose us.

Comcast will only lose customers who have other options.  There is quite a large segment of the USA that only has them.

For the technical people, cord-cutting is growing.

My oldest son only has Comcast Internet (his only option in his apartment),  He can watch just about any live TV show and he watches movies that I can't get without renting or buying them.

I think Comcast will adjust to meet the changing landscape, but some areas of the USA are difficult to service.  The infrastructure to extend Comcast into low-density areas costs a lot and if there aren't enough customers to pay for the infrastructure, Comcast will bypass them.

Comcast Gigabit is coming, but it will not be easy to offer it to EVERY Comcast customer.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

@dhoose wrote:

you can request that your rn150 satellite/companion box(es) be changed out to xi3 set top boxes. they come with a viewing buffer (trick play) but hitting record won't capture the buffer.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

@RobertWy wrote:

@dhoose wrote:

Comcast will only lose customers who have other options.  There is quite a large segment of the USA that only has them.

My oldest son only has Comcast Internet (his only option in his apartment),  He can watch just about any live TV show and he watches movies that I can't get without renting or buying them.

I think Comcast will adjust to meet the changing landscape, but some areas of the USA are difficult to service.  The infrastructure to extend Comcast into low-density areas costs a lot and if there aren't enough customers to pay for the infrastructure, Comcast will bypass them.

Comcast Gigabit is coming, but it will not be easy to offer it to EVERY Comcast customer.

I can remember when people used to be excited to get Comcast.  After AT&T BI bought Media One (which was an excellent cable company) and then let it languish, and lots of other cable companies were trying to figure out new options, when Comcast came in it was a big deal usually.  That was the mid 2000s.  In this decade, pretty much everyone hates them.

The problem is, for all intents, they are a utility but aren't really treated that way anymore because they've gotten too big.  "Too big to fail".  I also remember when towns could force a cable company to do x, y, and z.  Not anymore.  The fact that comcast bought NBC, and hence NBC news and Meet the Press, doesn't help either.  There have been a lot of stories by serious journalists about how Comcast uses their news organization as a "carrot and stick" to get people like the FCC to do what they want.  Note that the encryption of all stations, rolling back advancements of a couple of decades, happened after they had a controlling interest in NBC, and effectively locking people into their equipment and heavyhandedness.  We essentially have a tax on every TV we use in the house because you can no longer watch anything without their boxes, which are probably paid for the first 3-6 months of their lives.  Used to be you'd have a box in the living room for extras and other TVs in the house were just connected to cable.

They force us to use their equipment, which they charge more and more for, then remove features one by one. And they nickle and dime us to death. Why on earth are we still paying an "HD technology fee"?  I could see it a decade ago, but that is normal TV now and any costs they had in converting are long ago paid for.

It's ridiculous as is their excuse for not allowing buffering.  "We want the experience for those using internet recording and dvrs to be the same".  Too bad the cost isn't the same!  We are paying for a full fledged dvr and it should behave as such.

Gold Problem Solver

I have mentioned these two things before and I will post them again:

1. Everyday it becomes more clear that with X1, Comcast is caving in to TiVo patents.

2. X1 was never envisioned to be a product for enthusiasts. It is a watered down product that is designed to be "foolproof" for the masses. X1 was not designed to be a cutting edge experience. It was designed to cut costs, reduce truck rolls and calls into phone centers.

X1 it is what it is, not what we hoped it could be... The more I think about it, the more I truly believe that Comcast shut off the record buffer because they are submitting to TiVo patents.

@snowrain wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

@dhoose wrote:

I can remember when people used to be excited to get Comcast.  After AT&T BI bought Media One (which was an excellent cable company) and then let it languish, and lots of other cable companies were trying to figure out new options, when Comcast came in it was a big deal usually.  That was the mid 2000s.  In this decade, pretty much everyone hates them.

The problem is, for all intents, they are a utility but aren't really treated that way anymore because they've gotten too big.  "Too big to fail".  I also remember when towns could force a cable company to do x, y, and z.  Not anymore.  The fact that comcast bought NBC, and hence NBC news and Meet the Press, doesn't help either.  There have been a lot of stories by serious journalists about how Comcast uses their news organization as a "carrot and stick" to get people like the FCC to do what they want.  Note that the encryption of all stations, rolling back advancements of a couple of decades, happened after they had a controlling interest in NBC, and effectively locking people into their equipment and heavyhandedness.  We essentially have a tax on every TV we use in the house because you can no longer watch anything without their boxes, which are probably paid for the first 3-6 months of their lives.  Used to be you'd have a box in the living room for extras and other TVs in the house were just connected to cable.

They force us to use their equipment, which they charge more and more for, then remove features one by one. And they nickle and dime us to death. Why on earth are we still paying an "HD technology fee"?  I could see it a decade ago, but that is normal TV now and any costs they had in converting are long ago paid for.

It's ridiculous as is their excuse for not allowing buffering.  "We want the experience for those using internet recording and dvrs to be the same".  Too bad the cost isn't the same!  We are paying for a full fledged dvr and it should behave as such.

Contributor

Re: Record does not the buffer anymore

@RobertWy wrote:

I wonder if the Legacy system has the same restriction.  That would indicate a possible link to TiVo.

If by the "Legacy system", you mean the old Motorola hardware... then, yes, that hardware had the ability to record the buffer back to the program start time. My wife & I used to use that feature quite a bit. It is yet another lost feature since we have 'upgraded' to X1. There is certainly a lot that we like, and we are adjusting to life with X1. That said, some of the lost things - like this one - we really don't like.

Frequent Visitor

switch back & the bill goes down???  not for me......this is exactly what I wanted to do pretty much 2 mos into swapping my previous Legacy box out for the supposedly new & improved x1......not so I found out.....in fact quite the oppo....my bill would actually go up by approx $10/mos give or take...or so I've been told.  Unreal eh?

Ya just gotta "love" how they pigeon hole you into the new stuff.....which isn't as advertised as we come to find after a mos or two.

FiOs......where oh where are you???  Or how about Google's Fiber...soon to be in CA (San Jose) ....please...please will some provider give comcast/xfin a run for their broadband money.  After well over a decade of pretty consistent poor customer service, pricey hardware that never runs as advertised & feeling as if we continue to get less for more (they can bring back the buffering if they truly wanted to....sorry but I have a very hard time w/the legal/courts reasoning/excuse...I'm sure that's what the rep who has finally appeared here was instructed to relay to us...it's just that I just have a hard time believing this is truly the case) ....we've been ready for a change for sometime now.  I still say things would improve on most fronts if only there was some decent high speed competition in our mrkt.....until then....X1Fubar I (& we) remain......sigh!!  

Frequent Visitor

apologies w/my prev post....I was replying to Nukular's comment which was at the end of his/her post...

Maybe time to move back to a 10 year old motorola box....it can do it and my bill will be lower."

Like I say.....if only I could go back to the Legacy Box.....can you believe if I did (which I'm not really sure is even possible these days?) our bill would actually go up.....unreal!!  Then again it goes right along what comcast seems to be all about these days....."less for more" 

Gotta say though....a go fund me for the buffering issue.....too funny.....indeed much truth is said in jest.

Frequent Visitor

@ComcastNickM wrote:
Unfortunately due to a mix of technical and policy reasons based on some court rulings, we can't move those into the cloud. Thus, the decision was made to cut the TSB part of the recording so we don't create an inconsistent experience.

Just came here in search of an explanation for the loss of recording the buffered portion of a live program and found this thread.  Just finished reading it and believe I understand the reasoning, but am curious about the court rulings ComcastNickM mentioned.  Several people have mentioned they believe part of the reason this was removed may have something to do with TIVO patent conflicts. I'm curious to read more about that and have not had any luck locating information about it online.  Is there an article or a specific court ruling I could look up?  

Frequent Visitor

@RickGr4 wrote:

I know Comcast would never ever do it but I would love to see a list of changes and concessions Comcast is currently making as a result of TiVo patents. Who knows, maybe the reminder system (or lack of) is a concession to TiVo...

Check out the forum thread below for a Big discussion on this issue with a few explanations from a customer service rep.  It sound like it was done mainly to maintain consistency between what's recorded locally and what's stored in the cloud.  It sounds like the Cloud DVR portion does not have the ability to record the buffered portion, only the live portion from the moment the record button is pressed.  So if the local DVR recorded the buffered portion, it would be out of sync with the Cloud DVR recording.  Several people mention court rulings having some influence on the decision to disable this feature as well some possible TIVO patent conflicts.  Can anyone provide me a link to where I can read more about this TIVO patent issue and what "court rulings" might be in play.  Just curious to know more about this issue.  Thanks.

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/DVR-is-not-recording-the-buffered-portion-of-a-live-program/td-p/249...

New Poster

Had enough with this issue.  Bye-bye X1, Hello Tivo Bolt.

New Poster

Agreed, Tivo Bolt I guess.

Terrible; it is like we are back to VCR tech.

Regular Visitor

Wow, I thought it was just me.  I was shocked the first time I hit the "record" button 10 minutes into a program and only got the recording from that moment.  Frankly, the "improved" functions of the x1 dvr don't compensate for the loss of buffer recording.  This is an example of an unresponsive corporation telling the consumer what's best for him. 

Frequent Visitor

I think xfin is doin their very best at changing the ol' saying of "the more things change, the more they stay the same" to "the more things change, the worse they get".....& frankly, they've been doin a bang up job @ the ladder.  Sounds like Tivo was well ahead of the competition on this one (buffering).  Good....it's about time someone starts pushing them around some...what I've been sayin for sometime now....xfin needs some decent broadband competition before we start seeing any real meaningful changes to the services offered & the price points for said "services".  It'll be interesting to see what, if anything happens once Google Fiber makes its' way into more regional mrkts......1 gig for both in & outbound (1K)Mbps.....man alive will our Vonage line be loven life then.....tick-tock....   

Most Valued Poster

@x1fubar wrote:

@I think xfin is doin their very best at changing the ol' saying of "the more things change, the more they stay the same" to "the more things change, the worse they get".....& frankly, they've been doin a bang up job @ the ladder.  Sounds like Tivo was well ahead of the competition on this one (buffering).  Good....it's about time someone starts pushing them around some...what I've been sayin for sometime now....xfin needs some decent broadband competition before we start seeing any real meaningful changes to the services offered & the price points for said "services".  It'll be interesting to see what, if anything happens once Google Fiber makes its' way into more regional mrkts......1 gig for both in & outbound (1K)Mbps.....man alive will our Vonage line be loven life then.....tick-tock....   

Well said!  We had font options/recording buffer/slo mo/frame by frame and these features were so useful and loved!  One by one they took them away and then raised the cost of the service.  Comcast has a monopoly in many areas unless you want a dish. I have FIOS in my area but their version of triple play is more expensive and their new a-la-carte is so confusing. I already pay $200 and that is more than ENOUGH. I am happy with Comcast  digital phone, HSI and quality of the programming itself and the picture is flawless ....now if only I could slo down the playback,  read the guide and program info and have a buffer. I can dream but those are being washed away with my tears

New Poster

Wow.  I cannot believe this issue has been floating around for over a year.  I switched to X1 from Fios 2 months ago, and the first thing I noticed was buffering disappeared if you swapped between channels, switched to on-demand, etc. Channel continued to buffer on Fios no matter what you did.  Then one day the ability to switch back and forth and maintain buffering disappeared on the slave boxes and Fios had could not figure out why. That and cost are the reasons I switched. On X1, buffering disappears the second you do anything, but I just cannot understand why it will not record the buffered content.  I just did a chat w support and they are clueless. I gave a link to this forum which includes dozens of customers having the same issue, but they think it's my box.  They keep saying "let me troubleshoot the effected device." If it were only my device there wouldn't be posts about this issue for the past year. They said they will escalate the issue to the "Higher Fix Team" which sounds like something made up on the fly.  Never heard of the Higher Fix Team department.

Diamond Problem Solver

There isn't anything wrong with your boxes, that feature was removed months ago.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Well, then, UNremove it.

Most Valued Poster

@Madnomadtoo wrote:

Well, then, UNremove it.

======

You made my day! Short and to the point! Recording buffer was one of the most useful features  of X1 and when they removed it these forums were flooded with protests but nothing has happened to restore it. Its a real negative.

Contributor

I agree that the recording buffer was a nice HAVE that went away, but let's not exaggerate about the "flood of protests". There are probably over 10,000,000 X1 boxes deployed and only 120 posts in this thread complaining about it.  Simple math would tell you that is a complaint ratio of about 0.0012%.  That seems more like a pin hole rather than a flood.

Expert
Moved:

Most Valued Poster

@MisterEGas wrote:

I agree that the recording buffer was a nice HAVE that went away, but let's not exaggerate about the "flood of protests". There are probably over 10,000,000 X1 boxes deployed and only 120 posts in this thread complaining about it.  Simple math would tell you that is a complaint ratio of about 0.0012%.  That seems more like a pin hole rather than a flood.

You are way overthinking this! You actually counted the posts? OMG.

I bet the majority of users don't even know about the forums. Being that those who are active in  these forums have voiced themselves tells me its a hot topic. God knows how many others have called about it. If you didn't like or use the buffer then it does not pertain to you. If you really want to spend the time and count...the topic appears in forums other than X1 and replies should be counted- not just the original post . I am not going to play math with you....not constructive. Bye Felicia

Contributor

Manipulating numbers and counting posts???  Ha, ha. First place there are over 5 million forum members, so yes, I think a vast number of average users come to the forum.

members.jpg 

Secondly, I didn't need to count posts.  All I needed to do was look at the message count in the thread itself.

messagecount.jpg

See where I got the 120 from????  So even if it's 120 posts out of over 5 million members, still makes for a very small percentage. Definitely not the "flood" that you quoted in the thread.  

Most Valued Poster

@MisterEGas wrote:

Manipulating numbers and counting posts???  Ha, ha. First place there are over 5 million forum members, so yes, I think a vast number of average users come to the forum.

members.jpg 

Secondly, I didn't need to count posts.  All I needed to do was look at the message count in the thread itself.

messagecount.jpg

See where I got the 120 from????  So even if it's 120 posts out of over 5 million members, still makes for a very small percentage. Definitely not the "flood" that you quoted in the thread.  

==============
My goodness ..so you are the 'determinator' of what a word like flood or any other descriptive term means?  And please do not quote Webster. I am post grad college educated and can figure that out for myself. I was trying to be cute about you counting and it was not me who mentioned manipulating.  You used a message count on one thread under one title and that is not indicative of  the pushback on this subject. There are many threads with different titles in the forums that contain discussion on the recording buffer.

I am not going to find them all for you and list them. Depending on how you word a search this topic comes up all over the place . Here is just one....

Recording a live show - doesn't start at the beginning of the show, like it used to

You can rail back at me all your want to. It does not diminish the fact the recording buffer is a major concern for a large number of users and who really knows how many there may be. Its DVR basics and we lost it.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Just to clear something up. The live TV buffer recording feature was NOT removed because of a court ruling, patent dispute or any other legal reason. To everyone on this forum who is speculating that Comcast had no choice but to remove this feature because of legal reasons, please stop. You are just giving Comcast an excuse to do whatever they want to the customers who pay good money for their service. Comcast's old dual tuner HD DVRs still have this feature, as do most other service providers. It has nothing to do with TiVo patent disputes. There are only two simple and easily avoidable reasons for removing the live TV buffer recording feature. The first, as you've probably already heard, is cloud DVR. A very, very simple solution to this problem would be to simply only store in the cloud DVR the recordings that have started from the beginning of the program or recordings that have been scheduled in advance and exclude from the cloud DVR any and all recordings that were started after the beginning of the program while saving the entire program, including the portion from the live TV buffer, in the local storage of the X1 DVR in your home, thus eliminating the "inconsistency" between the cloud DVR and your local DVR. As for the difference in the used storage capacity between the cloud DVR and your local DVR, this doesn't really seem like a problem to me especially when you consider that X1 customers can have between 1 and 3 DVRs in their home, which affects how much storage is available to you anyway, but if it's really that big of a problem for Comcast, simply match the used storage status of the cloud DVR to that of the local DVR, I know Comcast has the ability to read that info from the local DVR. What this means is if the local DVR is 80% full and the cloud DVR is only 70% full, just match the cloud DVR's storage status to 80% full so that the local DVR and the cloud DVR have the same storage status. Again, it doesn't seem necessary to have the storage status on the cloud DVR and local DVR match, but if that's what Comcast wants it's an easy fix. The second reason Comcast removed the live TV buffer recording feature is that the companion boxes can't record the live TV buffer because the buffer on the companion boxes is stored in their own flash memory that's separate from the DVR's storage and thus can't be saved to the DVR. The solution to this is to simply forget about it. The live TV buffer on the companion boxes is already shorter than the buffer on the DVR, the companion boxes can't be and aren't expected to be exactly the same as the DVR. Crippling the DVR to match the companion boxes is obviously a much worse option than having the DVR being capable of one function that the companion boxes can't do. Especially, such a basic and expected DVR function. Comcast will get far, far more complaints about the DVR not having this function than they will about the companion boxes lacking it. I hope that someone will forward my thoughts to the people at Comcast who make these decisions. Removing such a basic DVR function from Comcast's flagship TV product was a very big mistake that Comcast needs to fix.

Expert

most of those TiVo patents expire during late 2016 and late 2018 so not long before they can be used free of charge by comcast

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Bring back buffer recording

Since most of us know the ridiculous reasons why Comcast removed the live TV buffer recording feature more than a year ago, I would like everyone who wants this basic DVR function restored to make their voices heard on this thread so Comcast can count how many of its customers are displeased and upset by this absurd decision.

Regular Contributor

Re: Bring back buffer recording

@Whythisnowork wrote:

Since most of us know the ridiculous reasons why Comcast removed the live TV buffer recording feature more than a year ago, I would like everyone who wants this basic DVR function restored to make their voices heard on this thread so Comcast can count how many of its customers are displeased and upset by this absurd decision.

Only one problem with that... Comcast doesn't care about customer satisfaction.

Most Valued Poster

Re: Bring back buffer recording

@Whythisnowork wrote:

===========

You are assuming that our voices are heard and Comcast actually reacts to our needs. I think we know from the long standing 'dead horse' issue of font and contrast options that no amount of voicing our displeasure has worked so far.  Forum members have also called, written letters to corporate and nothing ever happens to restore the features/options  that have been taken from us. We can't even get explanatory feedback that makes any sense.

Regular Visitor

wrote: I understand this may be frustrating to a lot of users who found the buffer recording very useful, so I am here to hopefully shed some light on any feedback, concerns, questions, etc. I'd like for us to be as transparent as we possibly can here, so feel free to ask away.

ComcastNickM referenced "exciting new functionality that [Comcast is] working on with [the] Cloud DVR", but he did not explain how those changes will either replace or enhance the functionality for which we are looking. The ability to record a current program from the beginning was part of the legacy digital DVR.

Since most people do not watch live television as frequently as in the past, and we certainly do not run to the TV to watch shows on time, the ability to record from the beginning a program already in progress is extremely useful. Many of the large networks lock down their content, and Comcast does not make all episodes available to its customers. For that reason, I am interested in learning more about the enhancements about which ComcastNickM is speaking.

Regular Visitor

I appreciate Nick's attempt to serve. He mentioned an inconsistency between DVR and cloud recordings. I have experienced several instances in which the DVR captures the entire program, but I am unable to stream the entire program to a cloud device like a tablet or phone.

As an example, when our family recorded the Live event of "The Wiz", the DVR had the recording in it's entirety, while only 4 minutes of it would show on a tablet or phone.

The way we watch TV has definitely become an "On-Demand" style, but live TV still has it's value. Does Comcast have plans to address the lost functionality about which this thread is composed?

Silver Problem Solver

@GScafidi1 wrote:

I appreciate Nick's attempt to serve. He mentioned an inconsistency between DVR and cloud recordings. I have experienced several instances in which the DVR captures the entire program, but I am unable to stream the entire program to a cloud device like a tablet or phone.

As an example, when our family recorded the Live event of "The Wiz", the DVR had the recording in it's entirety, while only 4 minutes of it would show on a tablet or phone.

The way we watch TV has definitely become an "On-Demand" style, but live TV still has it's value. Does Comcast have plans to address the lost functionality about which this thread is composed?

@GScafidi1 wrote:

We are not privy to any future plans until they are made public.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Regular Visitor

Thanks again to Nick. I'll continue to track for any new information that is relevant to my request.
Most Valued Poster

I have been seeing all kinds of ads on tv for Cox Contour and gee...looks like X1 clone. Decided to do on line chat and  found out that their DVR service does not allow live program recording buffer and they have the cloud. I asked about any TIVO 'legality' issues and they said 'no'. I didn't ask when they got cloud technology but in Sept 2015 this was posted in their 'how to'   ....................check out the NOTE.

Record the show you are watching or viewing in the on-screen guide.
  1. Press REC on the Cox remote control.

Result: The Record window displays with the show title in the header and Record this show selected.

2. Press SELECT on the remote to begin recording.

Note: The DVR will record the show from the beginning if it has been tuned to the channel from the time the show began.

Frequent Visitor

Yeah my understanding of the issue is that it's not that the DVR can't do it, It's that the buffered portion cannot be recorded in the cloud, and Comcast is choosing to have the cloud and the DVR recordings synced up the same. I just wish they would re-enable the feature with the understanding that only the live portion would be recorded to the cloud and that your cloud recordings may not always sync up. I'm learning to live with it though. I'm finding most of what I record is available on demand if I miss part of it.
Most Valued Poster

@igp6 wrote:
Yeah my understanding of the issue is that it's not that the DVR can't do it, It's that the buffered portion cannot be recorded in the cloud, and Comcast is choosing to have the cloud and the DVR recordings synced up the same. I just wish they would re-enable the feature with the understanding that only the live portion would be recorded to the cloud and that your cloud recordings may not always sync up. I'm learning to live with it though. I'm finding most of what I record is available on demand if I miss part of it.

Yes but On Demand is a pain to FF and RW.

What I frequently want to be able to record/buffer is when I see something on the news and want my husband to see it. Used to be able to record it and then just go to the spot I wanted him to see.

Regular Visitor

Well, for what's it's worth, this has been my SOP.  I have a cheap dedicated laptop next to the X1 box.  This box is one of the older ones with component outputs, which go into my Hauppauge HD PVR, then to USB on the laptop.  When I decide I need to record a show from the start, I rewind the X1 to the beginning of show, then hit "record" on the Hauppauge software.  Have an HDMI cable from laptop to TV on HDMI2 to watch it later.  This is more expensive, but I had the HD PVR and laptop anyway, so why not?  And if it's a reeeeaalllly good show, I can save it to DVD.

I don't care how thoroughly Comcast, etc. archives TV for On-Demand, sometimes they are difficult to access because of internet connection.  On-Demand is also forward-looking, and there is a wealth of TV programs from the past with no guarantee that they will ever be archived.  If it's something you want, if and when it is shown you better be ready to archive it yourself.

But what do I know?  I had to argue with Comcast's setup guy and his supervisor to get the older X1 box in the first place.   Super: "What do you want that for?"  Tech: "The customer asked for it."

New Poster

This is a terrible decision and needs to be revisited.   I had this as a feature and expected it to continue when I upgraded to X1.  There are many times I've turned on the TV and been in the middle of a show I'd like to see from the beginning.   I used to be able to do that with the record option. 

Again, this is a stupid decision to take away a popular, neccessary, feature.  

Attention upper management who supposedly look at these forums.    Bring back this feature before it's time to cut the cord and go to TIVO.

New Poster

I agree this is a deal breaker for me.
New Poster

This is increadibly stupid. I've got a better idea that I assume Comcast won't care about, but here goes:

- Remove hard drives from all DVRs and make Cloud DVR the only DVR.

- Record every possible feed live (cable, over the air, etc) and store all in Cloud DVR by default. (PS: And don't give me the argument of "well, how do we get local content to the cloud" automatically, because if you can record it now on your local DVR and sync it to the cloud, you can certainly figure it out.)

- By having all content recorded and stored centrally, you now build up a single-instance library of all possible content that any customer could want, rather than multiple (thousands, millions, etc) copies in the cloud and/or out in people's individual DVRs.

- If anyone wants to "record" a show, you just save a pointer from their on-prem DVR to the already-recorded copy in the cloud. Recording is no longer "recording", per say, it's simply taging a bookmark to the recording that is already in progress (in the case of live) or already saved (in the case of something recorded after it's first aired.

- If someone starts recording the show "in progress", it's now COMPLETELY immaterial if they started recording midway through, or if they were even tuned to the channel to begin with. Again, it's *already* recording / has been recorded and saved in cloud DVR.

- As a bonus, when people swap out a DVR, all the pointers could easily be transfered back down to their device. In fact, they probably don't even really need to live on the local box to begin with, all the local box needs to do is connect to Cloud DVR and access pointers to content stored in their account settings.

With my model Comcast gets immediate savings from each DVR by removing now irrelevant hardware (hard drives). Consumers save power by not having that extra few watts of spinning disk humming away in their entertainment center.

In fact, the idea of a DVR in general doesn't even really make sense anymore with this model. You just have a single box that you can (via license) allow to access or not access recorded content. You could call it DVR for simplicity, but all it would be is a box that is, or is not, allowed to access Cloud DVR.

Yes, in order to record and store every feed 24x7 will take up storage for Cloud DVR. But I've got to imagine it's easily offset by the cost savings of all these boxes you have floating around and by using a single-instance of each recording in the cloud (rather than millions of individual copies). You never know, you may actually use less storage overall as a result.

This design is stupid simple Comcast. It's 2016, why are you not doing this and instead choosing to play games with customers and causing discontent by removing features that you'd get for free with the design I've mentioned.

Bottom line, if this sort of technology isn't in Could DVR, than in my opinion Cloud DVR is dead on arrival. If it doesn't do everything I oulined above, scrap it and start over.

Silver Problem Solver

@joeydijulio wrote:

This is increadibly stupid. I've got a better idea that I assume Comcast won't care about, but here goes:

- Remove hard drives from all DVRs and make Cloud DVR the only DVR.

- Record every possible feed live (cable, over the air, etc) and store all in Cloud DVR by default. (PS: And don't give me the argument of "well, how do we get local content to the cloud" automatically, because if you can record it now on your local DVR and sync it to the cloud, you can certainly figure it out.)

- By having all content recorded and stored centrally, you now build up a single-instance library of all possible content that any customer could want, rather than multiple (thousands, millions, etc) copies in the cloud and/or out in people's individual DVRs.

- If anyone wants to "record" a show, you just save a pointer from their on-prem DVR to the already-recorded copy in the cloud. Recording is no longer "recording", per say, it's simply taging a bookmark to the recording that is already in progress (in the case of live) or already saved (in the case of something recorded after it's first aired.

- If someone starts recording the show "in progress", it's now COMPLETELY immaterial if they started recording midway through, or if they were even tuned to the channel to begin with. Again, it's *already* recording / has been recorded and saved in cloud DVR.

- As a bonus, when people swap out a DVR, all the pointers could easily be transfered back down to their device. In fact, they probably don't even really need to live on the local box to begin with, all the local box needs to do is connect to Cloud DVR and access pointers to content stored in their account settings.

With my model Comcast gets immediate savings from each DVR by removing now irrelevant hardware (hard drives). Consumers save power by not having that extra few watts of spinning disk humming away in their entertainment center.

In fact, the idea of a DVR in general doesn't even really make sense anymore with this model. You just have a single box that you can (via license) allow to access or not access recorded content. You could call it DVR for simplicity, but all it would be is a box that is, or is not, allowed to access Cloud DVR.

Yes, in order to record and store every feed 24x7 will take up storage for Cloud DVR. But I've got to imagine it's easily offset by the cost savings of all these boxes you have floating around and by using a single-instance of each recording in the cloud (rather than millions of individual copies). You never know, you may actually use less storage overall as a result.

This design is stupid simple Comcast. It's 2016, why are you not doing this and instead choosing to play games with customers and causing discontent by removing features that you'd get for free with the design I've mentioned.

Bottom line, if this sort of technology isn't in Could DVR, than in my opinion Cloud DVR is dead on arrival. If it doesn't do everything I oulined above, scrap it and start over.

My PERSONAL opionin is that Comcast is going to offer a STB in the future that does NOT have a hard drive.  IOW, cloud DVR only.

But they are not ready to offer that yet. 

Regular Visitor

Well thought out idea. Definitely some parts would need to be worked out. Our cloud based lives kinda freak me out. Comcast TV, Apple Music, YouTube video, Netflix, etc...lots of data about my preferences in the cloud.

I have actually stopped caring so much about this issue. The instances in which I want to record a program that's already started are very few. It's as though Xfinity is retraining my habits to work with the currently available functionality.

Trying to generally reduce my viewing time as well. That's why recording functions are so vital.
Frequent Visitor

The amount of space required for that kind of storage would be ridiculous wouldn't it?. And I'm pretty sure there would be some content providers who wouldn't like the idea. There would have to be some sort of time limit, say only buffer all the feeds for 24 hours (or 30 days, depending on what's feasible) on a regionally located cloud drive. Then when you chose to "record" a program, it would save to your personal cloud space.
Frequent Visitor

Direct TV does something like this with what they call 72 hour Rewind where it seems like the store 72 hours of programing. (I wonder if they hold a payent.) But it's only certain networks that allow it, and it's only on demand, you wouldnt be able to store it permanently.

https://support.directv.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4263/~/directv-72-hour-rewind
New Poster

@igp6 wrote:
The amount of space required for that kind of storage would be ridiculous wouldn't it?. And I'm pretty sure there would be some content providers who wouldn't like the idea. There would have to be some sort of time limit, say only buffer all the feeds for 24 hours (or 30 days, depending on what's feasible) on a regionally located cloud drive. Then when you chose to "record" a program, it would save to your personal cloud space.

I initially thought the same thing. But, think about it.

How would this idea be any differant, in terms of both storage and licensing, than a few million subscribers recording shows all over the place and it being synced to the cloud AS THEY DO TODAY?

There is no limitation on what I can record now. So how is it any differant then Comcast just recording by default vs recording on demand. Also, by only keeping a single-instance of each show recorded, verses having hundreds, thousands, hundreds of thousands of people all recording the same exact thing, you can save a TON of space. Likely enough or way more than enough to just record everything, once, by default.

I realize that I'm making a fair amount of assumptions (for instance, maybe Comcast already is de-duplicating data on the storage layer, so the savings aren't nearly as large), but I think it's at least a worthy thing to think about / discuss.

Silver Problem Solver

@joeydijulio wrote:

@igp6 wrote:

I initially thought the same thing. But, think about it.

How would this idea be any differant, in terms of both storage and licensing, than a few million subscribers recording shows all over the place and it being synced to the cloud AS THEY DO TODAY?

There is no limitation on what I can record now. So how is it any differant then Comcast just recording by default vs recording on demand. Also, by only keeping a single-instance of each show recorded, verses having hundreds, thousands, hundreds of thousands of people all recording the same exact thing, you can save a TON of space. Likely enough or way more than enough to just record everything, once, by default.

I realize that I'm making a fair amount of assumptions (for instance, maybe Comcast already is de-duplicating data on the storage layer, so the savings aren't nearly as large), but I think it's at least a worthy thing to think about / discuss.

Is your point that On Demand is stored on a central server?  I think that is a pretty safe assumption.

New Poster

My point is there should be differance between DVR and OnDemand.

If everything is recorded by default (which, it probably nearly already is anyway, when you take into account the millions upon millions of customers, I'm sure that a high percentage of everything broadcast across all channels / locales is already being recorded by at least one subscriber, which of course means it's being synced to the cloud DVR and stored centrally anyway - today!), then there is absolutely no need for local storage whatsoever. All it becomes is a matter of indexing.

Functionally, when people want to "record" something all they are doing in effect by saying "record this show" is simply telling Comcast you'd like to bookmark something that has already been (or, in the case of live, in the process of being) recorded in the cloud DVR library. You can then replay at your leisure, just as you do today. If you start the show halfway through and hit record, no biggie. You're simply bookmarking the already recorded / already recording show in cloud DVR. No muss, no fuss. Easy peasy.

It's a very simple design: Record everything possible by default in Cloud DVR. Get rid of hard drives in all DVRs. If people want "DVR service" their set-top-box is allowed to tap into the cloud DVR content. If they don't want "DVR service" that same set-top-box isn't allowed to tap into the cloud DVR service. Done.

If they are concerned about keeping around content that NOBODY has bookmarked / recorded, simply purge data after, say, a week or a month if there is no record requests at all.

This is the epitiomy of "Keep It Simple, Stupid".

Frequent Visitor

Dude that just makes too much sense. It'll never fly. Lol...
Most Valued Poster

@joeydijulio wrote:

My point is there should be differance between DVR and OnDemand.

If everything is recorded by default (which, it probably nearly already is anyway, when you take into account the millions upon millions of customers, I'm sure that a high percentage of everything broadcast across all channels / locales is already being recorded by at least one subscriber, which of course means it's being synced to the cloud DVR and stored centrally anyway - today!), then there is absolutely no need for local storage whatsoever. All it becomes is a matter of indexing.

Functionally, when people want to "record" something all they are doing in effect by saying "record this show" is simply telling Comcast you'd like to bookmark something that has already been (or, in the case of live, in the process of being) recorded in the cloud DVR library. You can then replay at your leisure, just as you do today. If you start the show halfway through and hit record, no biggie. You're simply bookmarking the already recorded / already recording show in cloud DVR. No muss, no fuss. Easy peasy.

It's a very simple design: Record everything possible by default in Cloud DVR. Get rid of hard drives in all DVRs. If people want "DVR service" their set-top-box is allowed to tap into the cloud DVR content. If they don't want "DVR service" that same set-top-box isn't allowed to tap into the cloud DVR service. Done.

If they are concerned about keeping around content that NOBODY has bookmarked / recorded, simply purge data after, say, a week or a month if there is no record requests at all.

This is the epitiomy of "Keep It Simple, Stupid".

Am I totally off base or having major technology brain cramp? I guess I need more education of how this works. I didn't think we could access cloud recordings to watch on the  TV. When I record everything is stored on my DVR hard drive. How does one access the Cloud DVR via the TV? I do not use pc, phone or my table to watch programs so I don't use the cloud. Please help me understand how to access Cloud DVR and please KISS.