Community Forum

DVR is not recording the buffered portion of a live program

Frequent Visitor

Re: DVR is not recording the buffered portion of a live program

Thank you everyone for posting about this ridiculous change!!! It was driving us nutzzzz why suddenly the buffer wouldn't record.  

Comcast owes me a bottle of Rolaids researching this for 2 months. There are soooooooooooo many things I tried to record that I wanted my husband to see but it wouldn't work. Also sad that no Comcast employees chimed in.

 

I will be demanding the recording buffer come back and I hope everyone else does too.

Most Valued Poster

Re: DVR is not recording the buffered portion of a live program


@helpmeobiewan wrote:

Thank you everyone for posting about this ridiculous change!!! It was driving us nutzzzz why suddenly the buffer wouldn't record.  

Comcast owes me a bottle of Rolaids researching this for 2 months. There are soooooooooooo many things I tried to record that I wanted my husband to see but it wouldn't work. Also sad that no Comcast employees chimed in.

 

I will be demanding the recording buffer come back and I hope everyone else does too.


LOVE your  forum name!!!   Demanding, begging, screaming....nothing seems to work when they remove something that we really use a lot. Its so not OK. Would at least like to see someone from Comcast 'speak' to us. Along with the Rolaids they owe me a case of wine!!

Most Valued Poster

Re: DVR is not recording the buffered portion of a live program

Probably won't do any good but I just talked to Comcast and they are referring the issue 'up' to the next tier.  I told them right away that its NOT a problem with MY cable because they always want to think its the box! They gave me a ticket number but in the past I have  rarely ever heard back when I call in a trouble.  She 'promised me' feedback. I described the problem, gave an example and gave the URL of this thread.   Wish everyone would call or chat on line and complain about this same issue..maybe if the wheel squeaks more and more they might just pay attention. If you do call or chat give them the URL of this thread.

 

Regular Visitor

Re: DVR is not recording the buffered portion of a live program

I've been away from the board for some time, and am only now responding. Here's what I believe to be going on. When Comcast switched the DVR functionality to store the recordings in the cloud, they created this problem. Suppose I'm in the middle of a show and hit record. The only way my cloud storage can get the portion I've buffered on my X1 hard drive requires bandwidth. It either needs to be uploaded back from my X1 DVR's hard drive (which is highly prohibitive) or re-transferred from an earlier point in the source feed, which would involve Comcast server network bandwidth rather than cable network bandwidth.

 

The other functionality, that of buffering a channel during DVR or Direct TV viewing also requires cable bandwidth, since the X1 box needs to be receiving that data in order to buffer it. This problem cannot be fixed without costing Comcast some bandwidth. They used to provide and include it, probably because they had no easy way to shut it off, but now they do and they have.

 

The other problem, of buffering shows so that a recording can start mid-show, should be easy enough to solve, since the actual bandwidth cost is lower. All they'd need to do is keep a buffer of all currently running shows available within their own server network, so that a cloud recording that begins mid-show can get the entire thing. I imagine they'll eventually do this and restore that functionality.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: DVR is not recording the buffered portion of a live program

This could very well be a cloud issue and that would not surprise me but I still contend (as I have posted in other threads) this change could easily have something to do with Xi3 tuner usage.

 

Contributor

Re: DVR is not recording the buffered portion of a live program


@malione wrote:

I've been away from the board for some time, and am only now responding. Here's what I believe to be going on. When Comcast switched the DVR functionality to store the recordings in the cloud, they created this problem. Suppose I'm in the middle of a show and hit record. The only way my cloud storage can get the portion I've buffered on my X1 hard drive requires bandwidth. It either needs to be uploaded back from my X1 DVR's hard drive (which is highly prohibitive) or re-transferred from an earlier point in the source feed, which would involve Comcast server network bandwidth rather than cable network bandwidth.

 

The other functionality, that of buffering a channel during DVR or Direct TV viewing also requires cable bandwidth, since the X1 box needs to be receiving that data in order to buffer it. This problem cannot be fixed without costing Comcast some bandwidth. They used to provide and include it, probably because they had no easy way to shut it off, but now they do and they have.

 

The other problem, of buffering shows so that a recording can start mid-show, should be easy enough to solve, since the actual bandwidth cost is lower. All they'd need to do is keep a buffer of all currently running shows available within their own server network, so that a cloud recording that begins mid-show can get the entire thing. I imagine they'll eventually do this and restore that functionality.


Malione, I don't think that dvrs with cloud support write to the cloud in real time or even near real time. I believe recordings are transferred to the cloud after the recording finishes at comcast's discretion. It is simply a repository, like Dropbox for your recordings. I don't think they are anywhere near a pure cloud model where you record from their servers without the need for the program to hit your dvr first. That would be cool, but not this decade.

 

So once again, this is not a technical issue imho, but a policy issue.

Expert

Re: DVR is not recording the buffered portion of a live program

based on previous info from comcast techs/engineers the local DVRs are not part of the saving/recording process of cloud DVR 'assets'. Some threads have shown that even if local cable is down or home electricity is off the cloud assets still record. I don't know how they do that at all.

 

If I recall correctly, the change on not recording locally the "Time Shift Buffer" for the guide entry being recorded began with change to firmware 2.x  This should be fixed on an ASAP basis in my opinion.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Re: DVR is not recording the buffered portion of a live program


@Rustyben wrote:

based on previous info from comcast techs/engineers the local DVRs are not part of the saving/recording process of cloud DVR 'assets'. Some threads have shown that even if local cable is down or home electricity is off the cloud assets still record. I don't know how they do that at all.

 

If I recall correctly, the change on not recording locally the "Time Shift Buffer" for the guide entry being recorded began with change to firmware 2.x  This should be fixed on an ASAP basis in my opinion.


Rustyben, I wish that was the case. If it was, we wouldn't need dvrs anymore and we could close out all these threads! Comcast would only need a box with a single tuner at the home for live tv and fast internet for streaming what is essentially your personal on demand. Like an xi3 with a tuner so you can time shift. They are far from this model at the moment. It would be helpful if a comcast employee actually chimed in here and told us how it works today and how it is supposed to work in the future so we could stop speculating. Or just say we can't record the buffer anymore, bummer, sucks to be you, move on. Give us something definitive please.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: DVR is not recording the buffered portion of a live program

I asked a Comcast employee about this in another thread. He has not responded as of yet. I will see if I can get an answer...

Most Valued Poster

Re: DVR is not recording the buffered portion of a live program


@RickGr4 wrote:

I asked a Comcast employee about this in another thread. He has not responded as of yet. I will see if I can get an answer...


Rick, please don't forget to update us if you get any kind of answer. The buffer was there and worked fine and then poof it was gone with an update.

Official Employee

Re: DVR is not recording the buffered portion of a live program

Hi all,

 

Sorry about the wait here. I can confirm that the functionality to capture the portion of the program in the buffer as part of the recording has been removed for both policy and product reasons. This change now provides a consistent recording experience from all set-top boxes in the home due to the fact that the Cloud version of the recording would not contain the time-shift buffer. In addition, this helps us pave the way for some exciting new functionality that we are working on with our Cloud DVR.

 

I understand this may be frustrating to a lot of users who found the buffer recording very useful, so I am here to hopefully shed some light on any feedback, concerns, questions, etc. I'd like for us to be as transparent as we possibly can here, so feel free to ask away.

 

Thanks,

 

-Nick


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Tags (1)
Silver Problem Solver

Re: DVR is not recording the buffered portion of a live program

Are you going to be "transparent" about "exciting new functionality that we are working on with our Cloud DVR"?  I imagine you can't say anything about it, yet.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Official Employee

Re: DVR is not recording the buffered portion of a live program


@RobertWy wrote:

Are you going to be "transparent" about "exciting new functionality that we are working on with our Cloud DVR"?  I imagine you can't say anything about it, yet.


Hahaha, honestly I'm not sure if I can or can't. I'm going to err on the side of caution on that one Smiley Wink


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Silver Problem Solver

Re: DVR is not recording the buffered portion of a live program

LOL!

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Contributor

Re: DVR is not recording the buffered portion of a live program

sounds almost like Hogan's Heroes Master Sgt. Schultz favorite line..

 

"I know nothing! I see nothing! I hear nothing!"

 

 

Gold Problem Solver

Re: DVR is not recording the buffered portion of a live program

Not to be a devil's advocate here, but I have a real issue with this decision. The Companion boxes and Cloud DVR cannot access the DVR record buffer so Comcast simply decides to shut the DVR buffer off???

What about those of us who pay extra to have additional X1 DVRs and NOT have Companion boxes? Also, Cloud DVR is not available in my area and I really don't care very much about it.

I am feeling unjustly penalized here!!! Those of us that have additional X1 DVRs (and pay extra for them) should have additional choices in regards to this issue!!!



@ComcastNickM wrote:

Hi all,

 

Sorry about the wait here. I can confirm that the functionality to capture the portion of the program in the buffer as part of the recording has been removed for both policy and product reasons. This change now provides a consistent recording experience from all set-top boxes in the home due to the fact that the Cloud version of the recording would not contain the time-shift buffer. In addition, this helps us pave the way for some exciting new functionality that we are working on with our Cloud DVR.

 

I understand this may be frustrating to a lot of users who found the buffer recording very useful, so I am here to hopefully shed some light on any feedback, concerns, questions, etc. I'd like for us to be as transparent as we possibly can here, so feel free to ask away.

 

Thanks,

 

-Nick


 

Expert

Re: DVR is not recording the buffered portion of a live program


@RickGr4 wrote:

Not to be a devil's advocate here, but I have a real issue with this decision. The Companion boxes and Cloud DVR cannot access the DVR record buffer so Comcast simply decides to shut the DVR buffer off???

What about those of us who pay extra to have additional X1 DVRs and NOT have Companion boxes? Also, Cloud DVR is not available in my area and I really don't care very much about it.

I am feeling unjustly penalized here!!! Those of us that have additional X1 DVRs (and pay extra for them) should have additional choices in regards to this issue!!!
 


I have to agree with RIck on this one as I also have 2 DVR's.....

 

-=Ray=-



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Re: DVR is not recording the buffered portion of a live program


@ComcastNickM wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

Are you going to be "transparent" about "exciting new functionality that we are working on with our Cloud DVR"?  I imagine you can't say anything about it, yet.


Hahaha, honestly I'm not sure if I can or can't. I'm going to err on the side of caution on that one Smiley Wink


ComcastNickM, please let us know how the current dvr interacts with the current cloud. All we've heard is that it will be different in the future. My frustration is with the box in my house today. It doesn't do anything with the cloud since its not in my area - still. If/when it gets to Seattle, I'm assuming it will work the same as the few areas around the country that do have cloud supply. Exactly how is it supposed to work? I have never seen anything from comcast describing this. All that's on this board is speculation. 

 

Looking forward to a detailed explaination if possible. Lots of tech geeks here so don't hold back!

 

Thanks

Official Employee

Re: DVR is not recording the buffered portion of a live program


@RickGr4 wrote:

Not to be a devil's advocate here, but I have a real issue with this decision. The Companion boxes and Cloud DVR cannot access the DVR record buffer so Comcast simply decides to shut the DVR buffer off???

What about those of us who pay extra to have additional X1 DVRs and NOT have Companion boxes? Also, Cloud DVR is not available in my area and I really don't care very much about it.

I am feeling unjustly penalized here!!! Those of us that have additional X1 DVRs (and pay extra for them) should have additional choices in regards to this issue!!!


 

Hi Rick,

 

Understand the frustration, the feedback is appreciated. I don't believe the decision was based on the companion boxes, but moreso around the fact that we were providing an inconsistent experience on length of recordings between local and cloud DVR. We don't have a way around that due to a mix of technical and policy based reasons. Additionally, I might be misreading it but just to ensure we're on the same page, we're haven't turned off the DVR's time-shift buffer, just the fact that it won't include that piece into a hot-recording.


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Re: DVR is not recording the buffered portion of a live program


@kevin_and_staci wrote:

@ComcastNickM wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

Are you going to be "transparent" about "exciting new functionality that we are working on with our Cloud DVR"?  I imagine you can't say anything about it, yet.


Hahaha, honestly I'm not sure if I can or can't. I'm going to err on the side of caution on that one Smiley Wink


ComcastNickM, please let us know how the current dvr interacts with the current cloud. All we've heard is that it will be different in the future. My frustration is with the box in my house today. It doesn't do anything with the cloud since its not in my area - still. If/when it gets to Seattle, I'm assuming it will work the same as the few areas around the country that do have cloud supply. Exactly how is it supposed to work? I have never seen anything from comcast describing this. All that's on this board is speculation. 

 

Looking forward to a detailed explaination if possible. Lots of tech geeks here so don't hold back!

 

Thanks


I don't have much in the way of a super-detailed technical explanation, but I guess that is something I can work on. To keep things simple, though, the local and Cloud storage mirror each other. Whatever is recorded on the local DVR is mirrored to the Cloud storage. With TSB, we could not mirror that piece of the recording into the Cloud, thus creating an inconsistently on length of recordings on both platforms, and inconsistently on the % of space available on each platform, among other things. Right now they are designed to match each other.

 

I hope that helps...sorry that it's not as technical as you hoped for.


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Most Valued Poster

Re: DVR is not recording the buffered portion of a live program


Comcast Nick, I agree with Rick and Ray and I feel like we are being punished by having one of the most useful X1 features ripped out of our hands. I believe my area (Wash DC Virginia suburbs) had the cloud AND recording buffer in residence at the same time. Lost the buffer in March.  I  have one Arris  STB/ DVR and have no need for another.  I need you to explain to me.... if there is a buffer for live tv then why can't I record what has already been buffered. It's there is it not? The cloud was supposed to enhance the platform but instead its taking us backwards. In this age of technology I find it incredible that the buffer cannot reside with the cloud.

Official Employee

Re: DVR is not recording the buffered portion of a live program


@TerriB wrote:

Comcast Nick, I agree with Rick and Ray and I feel like we are3 being punished by having one of the most useful X1 features ripped out of our hands. I believe my area (Wash DC Virginia suburbs) had the cloud AND recording buffer in residence at the same time. Lost the buffer in March.  I  have one Arris  STB/ DVR and have no need for another.  I need you to explain to me.... if there is a buffer for live tv then why can't I record what has already been buffered. It's there is it not? The cloud was supposed to enhance the platform but instead its taking us backwards. In this age of technology I find it incredible that the buffer cannot reside with the cloud.


Completely understand, and I have passed this feedback along to the Product team. Just as a side note, this wasn't a regional change but rather a change in firmware. Having multiple DVRs does not really change whether or not you can record the TSB, either. 

 

You also mentioned this - "I need you to explain to me.... if there is a buffer for live tv then why can't I record what has already been buffered. It's there is it not?......In this age of technology I find it incredible that the buffer cannot reside with the cloud."

 

Unfortunately due to a mix of technical and policy reasons based on some court rulings, we can't move those into the cloud. Thus, the decision was made to cut the TSB part of the recording so we don't create an inconsistent experience.

 


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

Re: DVR is not recording the buffered portion of a live program


@ComcastNickM wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

Comcast Nick, I agree with Rick and Ray and I feel like we are3 being punished by having one of the most useful X1 features ripped out of our hands. I believe my area (Wash DC Virginia suburbs) had the cloud AND recording buffer in residence at the same time. Lost the buffer in March.  I  have one Arris  STB/ DVR and have no need for another.  I need you to explain to me.... if there is a buffer for live tv then why can't I record what has already been buffered. It's there is it not? The cloud was supposed to enhance the platform but instead its taking us backwards. In this age of technology I find it incredible that the buffer cannot reside with the cloud.


Completely understand, and I have passed this feedback along to the Product team. Just as a side note, this wasn't a regional change but rather a change in firmware. Having multiple DVRs does not really change whether or not you can record the TSB, either. 

 

You also mentioned this - "I need you to explain to me.... if there is a buffer for live tv then why can't I record what has already been buffered. It's there is it not?......In this age of technology I find it incredible that the buffer cannot reside with the cloud."

 

Unfortunately due to a mix of technical and policy reasons based on some court rulings, we can't move those into the cloud. Thus, the decision was made to cut the TSB part of the recording so we don't create an inconsistent experience.

 


The courts don't want us to be able to have a recording buffer?  Thanks for clearing up that this was a firmware change and not regional. Someone somewhere in these forums said they still had the recording buffer yet they had the same firmware I had.

 

I have to go back to the fact that the buffer and the cloud resided together before the firmware changed and no one got slapped in handcuffs.

 

Aside from that: if I am watching a program and its 'live' buffered then why can't I record what is already buffered. Sorry but I just don't get it. Its 'there' so why can't I just back it up and start recording.

 

 

Gold Problem Solver

Re: DVR is not recording the buffered portion of a live program

Hmmm,

Sounds like the TiVo patent issue has reappeared... So X1 loses features and capabilities because Comcast and TiVo cannot reach agreements on patent/royalty rights???

I now have a MUCH better understanding of what is going on here...



@TerriB wrote:

@ComcastNickM wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

Comcast Nick, I agree with Rick and Ray and I feel like we are3 being punished by having one of the most useful X1 features ripped out of our hands. I believe my area (Wash DC Virginia suburbs) had the cloud AND recording buffer in residence at the same time. Lost the buffer in March.  I  have one Arris  STB/ DVR and have no need for another.  I need you to explain to me.... if there is a buffer for live tv then why can't I record what has already been buffered. It's there is it not? The cloud was supposed to enhance the platform but instead its taking us backwards. In this age of technology I find it incredible that the buffer cannot reside with the cloud.


Completely understand, and I have passed this feedback along to the Product team. Just as a side note, this wasn't a regional change but rather a change in firmware. Having multiple DVRs does not really change whether or not you can record the TSB, either. 

 

You also mentioned this - "I need you to explain to me.... if there is a buffer for live tv then why can't I record what has already been buffered. It's there is it not?......In this age of technology I find it incredible that the buffer cannot reside with the cloud."

 

Unfortunately due to a mix of technical and policy reasons based on some court rulings, we can't move those into the cloud. Thus, the decision was made to cut the TSB part of the recording so we don't create an inconsistent experience.

 


The courts don't want us to be able to have a recording buffer?  Thanks for clearing up that this was a firmware change and not regional. Someone somewhere in these forums said they still had the recording buffer yet they had the same firmware I had.

 

I have to go back to the fact that the buffer and the cloud resided together before the firmware changed and no one had to go before 'the court'.

 

Aside from that: if I am watching a program and its 'live' buffered then why can't I record what is already buffered. Sorry but I just don't get it. Its 'there' so why can't I just back it up and start recording.

 

 


 

New Poster

Re: DVR is not recording the buffered portion of a live program

 Anything new on this? It's so frustrating not being able to record LIVE TV from the begining of a show, like we used to do. And no, what I want to record can't be found on On Demand -- not live news shows! If my husband is out, and I'm watching a news program he'd be interested in, I can no longer save it from the beginning. And sometimes even movies and episodes aren't going to be rerun anytime soon.

 

Did Comcast think we wouldn't notice?!

Most Valued Poster

Re: DVR is not recording the buffered portion of a live program


@SnookyTLC wrote:

 Anything new on this? It's so frustrating not being able to record LIVE TV from the begining of a show, like we used to do. And no, what I want to record can't be found on On Demand -- not live news shows! If my husband is out, and I'm watching a news program he'd be interested in, I can no longer save it from the beginning. And sometimes even movies and episodes aren't going to be rerun anytime soon.

 

Did Comcast think we wouldn't notice?!



@SnookyTLC wrote:

 Anything new on this? It's so frustrating not being able to record LIVE TV from the begining of a show, like we used to do. And no, what I want to record can't be found on On Demand -- not live news shows! If my husband is out, and I'm watching a news program he'd be interested in, I can no longer save it from the beginning. And sometimes even movies and episodes aren't going to be rerun anytime soon.

 

Did Comcast think we wouldn't notice?!


Thank you for adding your 'voice' to this issue. You betcha NOT everything is on Demand and even when it is you have to deal with the  annoying method of FF just to get thru a program.  I do just like you and record news programs 'after' they start so my husband can see them. You never know when something that is live 'needs' to be recorded.  Wish more users knew about and used these forums so that our voice was BIG enough to get some positive attention. I am so sick of hearing about the CLOUD and all it can do for us. Apparently the Cloud is the cause of they removing recording buffer.

Contributor

Re: DVR is not recording the buffered portion of a live program

ComcastNickM:

 

I just came across this thread after someone commented on mine saying this TSB feature was gone on all DVR's.  

 

As for the inconsistency across platforms, unfortunately everything across Comcast is inconsistent.  I recently ordered an item from Comcast and was told tracking put it @ my house on xx/xx/xx only to find out the warehouse doesn't even have the items to ship and it was thus never shipped - how did a rep give me tracking info?  That's pretty inconsistent.  Our area can't get this cloud feature, pretty inconsistent.  I had to fax a flyer offering me a  Comcast deal to Comcast because Comcast said it didn't exist, pretty inconsistent.

 

I'm not meaning to bash here, it's not my intention but, the cloud and the local DVR storage ARE different.  Who cares about inconsistency of different products?  I would expect my cloud storage to just hold the items I pre-record.  I guess it would be a benefit if it got the queued portion in live mode too but in my opinion the ability to record that part you had paused really, REALLY helps @ the house on the fly.  We have a toddler and I cannot even begin to say how often our DVR is paused.  We CANNOT record Every. Single. Show. We. Watch. All. The. Time.  We start a show and 3 minutes later she poops her pants.  Off to the bedroom we go, and we come back out and un-pause.  5 minutes later she's crying for who knows why, 10 minutes later it's this... it goes on and on and eventually we would just hit "record" to record the show.  Now (it's been a while and I thought it was my DVR messing up from other issues) we lose the show entirely. Yes, in the grand scheme of things it's just TV but that's your business, providing us TV and DVR functionality.  We pay for those things.  That TSB or whatever it was called was awesome. Please continue to hear the voices of the people who want it back.  

 

If it's more court ruling vs inconsistency issue, we'll never see it back.  If it's more inconsistency, it's pretty inconsistent to just take it away in lieu of "things to come."   

New Poster

Re: DVR is not recording the buffered portion of a live program

Wow....what a load of camel vomit from compoo.<br><br>Not recording buffered material is as advanced as freakin' videotape. IF this is a real legal issue (probably just a meager legal team) then pay for some licensing fees. It is a HIGHLY expected and used feature you cancelled without warning or notice. There is ZERO reason to lose this feature for COMPATIBILITY. Maybe time to move back to a 10 year old motorola box....it can do it and my bill will be lower.
Regular Contributor

Re: DVR is not recording the buffered portion of a live program

Decided to check back and see if the "buffer problem" (what we call it in our household) has been addressed yet. Guess not. Ripped away from us in the night without so much as a warning. As a long time Comcast subscriber (much longer than it's been Comcast), I can tell you that if I'd known earlier this year that buffer recording would vanish, I would NOT have migrated to the X1 platform, let alone extend my contract for 2 years. Feeling deceived here, as I believe many others are.
Expert

Re: DVR is not recording the buffered portion of a live program


@Ember2323 wrote:

Withing the past few days, my X1 DVR is no longer recording the portion of a live program that has buffered before I hit "record". This has never previously been a problem, and I have not changed any settings or equipment.

 

Here is an example of the current problem: When I am watching a show for 12 minutes, I decide to hit "Record". The recording begins. However, the DVR only records from that minute forward until the end. It is no longer recording the entire show (even though I haven't changed the channel since the actual start-time of the show). 

 

The feature of "recording a show while it's playing" has worked for as long as I've used DVRs (many models over the years). Comcast even says it works on most DVRs (and it has always worked for me... see this page http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/recording-an-in-progress-program-from-the-begi... )

 

I have tried restarting the DVR (including powering down, unplugging, and powering back up). I only have 1 DVR.

 

Is this a change to the X1? If so, why would that great functionality be removed?


Yes....

<edited>  See message # 61 in this thread... </edited>

 



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Re: DVR is not recording the buffered portion of a live program


Yes....
We don't know why and Comcast has not stated the reason for this....
-=Ray=-
Good Luck! -=Ray=-
_______________
Actually ComcastNick explained it as best as possible about 10 posts up

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

Re: DVR is not recording the buffered portion of a live program


@ComcastAndrew wrote:

Yes....
We don't know why and Comcast has not stated the reason for this....
-=Ray=-
Good Luck! -=Ray=-
_______________
Actually ComcastNick explained it as best as possible about 10 posts up

Ahhhhh...previous page.... : )

 



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: DVR is not recording the buffered portion of a live program

duplicate again...

Gold Problem Solver

Re: DVR is not recording the buffered portion of a live program

DVRIssues,

Your answer is contained within this thread. More than once actually. I suggest you take a minute to read this thread, especially message #61.


@DVRissues wrote:

I also noticed a few weeks ago that the DVR was not allowing me to record the buffered portion of a live program. I called them and they opened a ticket and I never heard anything. Called them back and they told me it was an issue with the box and I could exchange it. So I did exchange it today and nothing changed. I called them and they forwarded me to an account specialist who told me that the DVR has never functioned this way, which I know is false. I have used this function on my DVR for over a year now. I just wish comcast would have told me about this change. I think its one of my favorite features of the DVR to be able to record the buffered part. It doesnt make much sense that I can rewind as long as I haven't changed the channel but can no longer record. And why do the employees at comcast not know about it either?


 

New Poster

Re: DVR is not recording the buffered portion of a live program

Sorry about that...

New Poster

Record does not the buffer anymore

The only advantage in operation that Comcast had over directtv that I know of was that you could find a show playing with the beginning in the buffer and that you could record that show and everything in the buffer would be saved too. In other words, if the time was 12:25 and the show started at 12, you could hit record and the show was saved from the beginning. If I had started to watch the show above at 12:15 from the beginning and I needed to leave, I could hit record and see the whole show. Unfortunately now that feature is gone. Now record only saves the show from the current time on and does NOT save what is in the buffer.
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Record does not the buffer anymore

Nothing new here, it's been that way for months.

 

Although I wonder ... if you rewind to the beginning of the buffer, THEN press the record button, would it record the buffer then? Or just start from live TV?

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Record does not the buffer anymore

Tried it. Even if you back up, it still starts recording live TV from the moment you press record. It won't record the buffer.

I'm not sure but I happen to think this could be a concession to TiVo patents...


@John3758 wrote:

Nothing new here, it's been that way for months.

 

Although I wonder ... if you rewind to the beginning of the buffer, THEN press the record button, would it record the buffer then? Or just start from live TV?





 

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Record does not the buffer anymore

Rick,

 

I wonder if the Legacy system has the same restriction.  That would indicate a possible link to TiVo.

 

I think it is more likely an issue with using the cloud.  If Comcast moves to a diskless service, I can see a problem with 20 million(?) users all using a cloud buffer to record IF someone decides to start recording a live show.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Gold Problem Solver

Re: Record does not the buffer anymore

That's a good point Robert.

I know Comcast would never ever do it but I would love to see a list of changes and concessions Comcast is currently making as a result of TiVo patents. Who knows, maybe the reminder system (or lack of) is a concession to TiVo...

Just sayin...


@RobertWy wrote:

Rick,

 

I wonder if the Legacy system has the same restriction.  That would indicate a possible link to TiVo.

 

I think it is more likely an issue with using the cloud.  If Comcast moves to a diskless service, I can see a problem with 20 million(?) users all using a cloud buffer to record IF someone decides to start recording a live show.


 

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Record does not the buffer anymore

Rick,

 

You and I both know how to say "maybe" real good! <G>

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Gold Problem Solver

Re: Record does not the buffer anymore

Robert,

I am just making sure people know I am speculating... LOL


@RobertWy wrote:

Rick,

 

You and I both know how to say "maybe" real good! <G>


 

New Poster

Re: DVR is not recording the buffered portion of a live program

I noticed the same problem recently and glad I came across this thread.  I concur that this is assenine.

This has been a basic feature of DVRs since their inception.

 

I don't even have Cloud service in my area (Seattle; nor any expected rollout date) so I am not getting any benefit in return.

In fact, I would rather have this feature than any of the Cloud capabilities I have seen, but I guess I don't have a choice.

I guess my only choice is to revert back to Frontier FIOS and the cruddy old Motorola 6412 that can still provide this capability.... 

I will be calling customer service expressing my displeasure and will call Frontier to see what they will offer me as a returning customer.  

I suggest everyone else consider switching providers as Comcast does not appear they are willing or able to bring this feature back.

Official Employee

Re: DVR is not recording the buffered portion of a live program

Cloud DVR is now available in Seattle.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: DVR is not recording the buffered portion of a live program

I just came across this thread when trying to find out why I can no longer record from the beginning of a show when I hit the record button. I would like to add my "squeeky" frustration, as that was such a great feature, and I want it back! I am about ready to dump my X1 platform and go back to the old standard DVR, if it is even still available. I have so many times, been watching a live news broadcast, and want to show my wife something that was just on. If she can't come and watch it while it is still in the buffer, I have no way to save it for her. Comcast, PLEASE bring this feature back!!! It is one of the main reasons I got the DVR in the first place! Sure, on demand is great, but you can't watch the news, or many other programs on demand! Enough explaining why you can't bring it back, just DO IT!!!

Most Valued Poster

Re: DVR is not recording the buffered portion of a live program


@Grandhamster wrote:

I just came across this thread when trying to find out why I can no longer record from the beginning of a show when I hit the record button. I would like to add my "squeeky" frustration, as that was such a great feature, and I want it back! I am about ready to dump my X1 platform and go back to the old standard DVR, if it is even still available. I have so many times, been watching a live news broadcast, and want to show my wife something that was just on. If she can't come and watch it while it is still in the buffer, I have no way to save it for her. Comcast, PLEASE bring this feature back!!! It is one of the main reasons I got the DVR in the first place! Sure, on demand is great, but you can't watch the news, or many other programs on demand! Enough explaining why you can't bring it back, just DO IT!!!


Welcome to the 'squeaks'  The recording buffer was #2 on my list of why I upgraded to X1 with DVR. The #1 was being able to record 4 shows at once and watch a fifth. We are not alone by any means in the group who relied on the recording buffer. Imagine how many who don't use these forums who are upset.  I used it just like you do. I am still not satisfied with the explanations Comcast has provided. It worked and then one day a few months ago it didn't and no one has told us what exactly changed on the X1 platform that caused them to rip out this amazing feature. I bristle every time I want to record from the beginning and can't....it just happened this morning again.

New Poster

Re: DVR is not recording the buffered portion of a live program

Add me to the list.  This is a very powerful feature and is very much missed.  PLEASE BRING IT BACK.

New Poster

Re: DVR is not recording the buffered portion of a live program

Add me to the list as well.  Like many others who have commented on this post, I used the ability to record the buffered portion of a program frequently, generally when I turned on the TV and saw a program I wanted to watch (in its entirety) later, or when I found a program interesting and wanted to share with others.  I am actually quite upset this functionality was been removed, especially with no prior notification of this downgrade from Comcast.

 

Most Valued Poster

Re: DVR is not recording the buffered portion of a live program

There is no 'list' of those of us who are really upset that the recording buffer was taken away. The messages we post  are not forwarded to anyone in Comcast. They are sometimes read by Comcast reps and they may offer rationale for removal of features but thats as far as it goes. We don't have a vehicle to ask for/demand/request/beg for useful features to be brought back and thats the WHOLE PROBLEM.

Expert

Re: DVR is not recording the buffered portion of a live program


@TerriB wrote:

There is no 'list' of those of us who are really upset that the recording buffer was taken away. The messages we post  are not forwarded to anyone in Comcast. They are sometimes read by Comcast reps and they may offer rationale for removal of features but thats as far as it goes. We don't have a vehicle to ask for/demand/request/beg for useful features to be brought back and thats the WHOLE PROBLEM.


from many previous threads, it appears to be a patent issue with TiVO. Just wondering what 'we' would be willing to pay extra for the feature per DVR or account? I'd pay $1/month more for it. and for ability to switch at will to any one of the tuners (also TiVO) with all 6 being buffered automatically.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!