Community Forum

DVR box keeps turning on and going to channels that I have not chosen

Valued Contributor

DVR box keeps turning on and going to channels that I have not chosen

having a weird issue with the DVR box that it keeps turning on and the channels it goes to are not ones that I have selected.  I did a test cleared all the last channels went to one that I selected and powered down the box.  BTW I am the only on in the house when I did this test.  A day later I saw the box was on again (blue light) I turned on the TV and it was again on a channel that I do not watch.  I checked  the "last Listing"  I found the one channel I had selected and 2 other channels showing in the last list, one was even a movie channel that I do not have.  So my question is in 2 Parts:  1 why is the box turning on when I am not doing it, and 2. why is it going to channels that I have not selected.  BTW this is not happening on any of the non DVR boxes.  I sure hope someone has an idea as to why this is taking place.....

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: DVR box keeps turning on and going to channels that I have not chosen

It’s possible that you don’t have a closed mica network and one of your neighbors selection is showing up. There should be a moca filter installed outside

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Valued Contributor

Moca filter is installed on the cable from the street.  Why is it that only the DVR box is the one that is turned on neither of the other 2 boxes are impacted?  

Expert

@fedup978 wrote:

Moca filter is installed on the cable from the street.  Why is it that only the DVR box is the one that is turned on neither of the other 2 boxes are impacted?  

are all of your remotes paired via RF with a set top box? Ir remotes can activate more than one set if the 'radiation' bounces off walls ceilings etc for IR (infrared) this is not a problem for RF paired remotes.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Valued Contributor

Yes they are paired to a box.  I thought that same thing and did some tests to see if the other remote would cause it and all the test I did  nothing happened on the DVR box.  If that was the case why would it select channels that I do not view??  

Silver Problem Solver

@fedup978 wrote:

Yes they are paired to a box.  I thought that same thing and did some tests to see if the other remote would cause it and all the test I did  nothing happened on the DVR box.  If that was the case why would it select channels that I do not view??  

I suspect one or more remote keys are "stuck".  Your nearest Xfinity Store has free remotes; you might try a new one.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Valued Contributor

I would think that if a key was stuck that the remotes indicator light, that is red green or blue, would be showing that it is sending a signal to the box, that is not happening on the remote.  As I mentioned this happens on the DVR box that is not the main unit that we watch shows from.  Plus this has happened when none of the boxes / TV's or remotes have been in use.  I hate just swapping anything out unless there is something that really points to a specific reason to do so.  Having worked with electronics for many years I find that to not be a good practice unless you can prove that it is bad.  IMHO

Official Employee

Hi fedup978, thank you for reaching out here on our forums.  Please let us know if you are still experiencing this issue, and if so  could someone be using the Xfinity Remote app?

Thank you 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Valued Contributor

The issue has not happened in the last week where different channels have been selected only the powering up of the box has happened.  I am the only one in the house and I do not use any phone apps to control the TV system only the remotes.

Official Employee

Thank you for following up with us, fedup978. I apologize to hear that there is still somewhat of an issue occurring. By chance have you done a power cycle on this box (unplug the power for 30 seconds and then plug it back in)? Please let us know. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Valued Contributor

Yes, one of the first things that I do as I know it will be asked.  It still powers up by itself from time to time but changing of channels has not happened recently.  It is always the DVR box the powers up neither of the other 2 boxes have shown the unexplained power up issue.

Official Employee

Thank you for attempting that. I would like to look closer into this if I can. Can you please send me a PM with your first and last name so I may further assist you?

To send a private message, please click my name "ComcastMichael" then select "Send a Message" on the right side.

Official Employee

Hello, fedup978. I have not heard back from you in a while and hope the issue is now resolved. If you still need assistance, please feel free to start a new public thread.