Community Forum

DVR “auto extend” no longer working

New Poster

DVR “auto extend” no longer working

I use the DVR to record all Boston Bruins games and usually watch them later in the night. For as long as I’ve had the DVR, a year and a half, the auto extend feature has worked fine and I get the whole game. In fact it usually goes well past the end of the game into the postgame show. In the past week, however, I have had two games cut off and stop recording before the game ends. Tonight it recorded until the end of regulation but cut off before the overtime period started. The other day it didn’t even reach the end of regulation, cutting off with 2 min left in the game. Since auto extend is supposed to be automatic and not something we choose, I don’t know what I’m supposed to do to make this stop happening? Very frustrating to watch over 2 1/2 hours of a game and then have to go on the internet to find out how it ended.
Silver Problem Solver

Re: DVR “auto extend” no longer working

@AsphaltJungle wrote:
I use the DVR to record all Boston Bruins games and usually watch them later in the night. For as long as I’ve had the DVR, a year and a half, the auto extend feature has worked fine and I get the whole game. In fact it usually goes well past the end of the game into the postgame show. In the past week, however, I have had two games cut off and stop recording before the game ends. Tonight it recorded until the end of regulation but cut off before the overtime period started. The other day it didn’t even reach the end of regulation, cutting off with 2 min left in the game. Since auto extend is supposed to be automatic and not something we choose, I don’t know what I’m supposed to do to make this stop happening? Very frustrating to watch over 2 1/2 hours of a game and then have to go on the internet to find out how it ended.

I always record the program after my NBA game to pick up any playing time after the scheduled time.  Just the way it is; I don't rely on auto extend.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Contributor

Most games let you manually add 30, 60, or 90 minutes

Valued Contributor

@AsphaltJungle wrote:

Sporting events should be recorded manually

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-set-a-manual-recording-for-a-channel

Recording time up to 7 hrs.

Official Employee

@AsphaltJungle

We apologize for the inconveneince, we've identified a bug in the logic for this feature and we have a fix in place and will have it out soon.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Silver Problem Solver

@ComcastWilliam wrote:

@AsphaltJungle

We apologize for the inconveneince, we've identified a bug in the logic for this feature and we have a fix in place and will have it out soon.

Wow!  Thanks for the information.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
New Poster

So auto extend is still not working ?  Missed the end of w major races this weekend. The thread says it was being fixed in Feb. 2019.

Silver Problem Solver

@elefunt wrote:

So auto extend is still not working ?  Missed the end of w major races this weekend. The thread says it was being fixed in Feb. 2019.

The only way to get the end of the race is to record the next scheduled program.

New Poster

I would have had I known that another feature I'm paying for wasn't working

Official Employee

elefunt, do you have auto pad activated in your general preferences? I know most sports content that you want to record will give you the offer to set how much longer you want them to record after the program "ends" as folks have dropped here. If you have auto pad activated in settings--> preferences--> General-->autopad, it'll allow you to edit the auto extend. 

Ken

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Thanks for the help. I did fix it for future recordings. My understanding of auto-extend was that it would automatically keep recording any live event if it ran late. I was not aware that I had to set the time to extend. I'm still not sure I would have caught the end of the  second race as it ran way past the scheduled time.

Official Employee

Thanks @elefunt. Auto Extend is used in case an auto-extendable program you’ve scheduled to record runs over the scheduled time, Auto Extend will automatically extend your recording by 90 minutes and end once the program is over. Game recordings run 15 minutes after the end of the game to account for post-game activities. For more information about the DVE Features and Services, check out this article, X1 DVR Services Overview and scroll down to the "Scheduled Recordings Section". I hope this helps. 

New Poster

As I said originally, the event did not "auto extend". It stoppd at the orignal scheduled time. How do I know if an event is "auto extendable"? In this case it was a couple of races  not a game.

Official Employee

My apologies for the inconvenience, elefunt. We don't have a way to see which specific programs this would fall under. I would be more than happy to submit your feedback regarding this issue.