Community Forum

DVR Recoring Reruns Despite Setting for New Episodes Only

New Poster

DVR Recoring Reruns Despite Setting for New Episodes Only

Hi,

I just got Xfinity and have set up my DVR to record only new episodes of my shows. It seems like the DVR is recording all instances of each show regardless of its status as a new or repeat episode. What can I do to make the Xfinity DVR work like it should?
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: DVR Recoring Reruns Despite Setting for New Episodes Only

Can you give an example?

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Silver Problem Solver

Re: DVR Recoring Reruns Despite Setting for New Episodes Only


@swimguydc wrote:
Hi,

I just got Xfinity and have set up my DVR to record only new episodes of my shows. It seems like the DVR is recording all instances of each show regardless of its status as a new or repeat episode. What can I do to make the Xfinity DVR work like it should?

I have seen this; it's an issue with what the content provider supplies to Comcast; if they don't provide the information to identify episodes as new, we can't program them.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

Re: DVR Recoring Reruns Despite Setting for New Episodes Only

Sure thing. For example, the Simpsons records every morning at 1 am but new shows only air on Sunday evenings. Is there any way to limit the recordings to a single day or timeframe?

The bottom line is that I don’t want to spend time deleting rerun episodes or trying to figure out what’s a new episode every time I try to watch my DVR.
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: DVR Recoring Reruns Despite Setting for New Episodes Only

It looks like you have Fox and Fox plus. Try deleting your series recording, go right to the guide, and choose Simpsons on Fox and see if that corrects it

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Re: DVR Recoring Reruns Despite Setting for New Episodes Only

I have this issue with just about everything that I have set to record. Deadliest Catch is recording Season 5 Episode 7 tonight and that was like 9 seasons ago. American pickers, Gold Rush and more. They all do the same thing.
Expert

Re: DVR Recoring Reruns Despite Setting for New Episodes Only


@benjamin921 wrote:
I have this issue with just about everything that I have set to record. Deadliest Catch is recording Season 5 Episode 7 tonight and that was like 9 seasons ago. American pickers, Gold Rush and more. They all do the same thing.

if you examine a future episode to be recorded as you describe check to see if the episode is marked 'new' or 'repeat' or not marked at all. some networks carry programs later that originally aired on other networks and mark the 'run' as new as it is new on their network. if an episode is not marked as 'repeat' then it will always record.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Re: DVR Recoring Reruns Despite Setting for New Episodes Only

Well Rustyben, that will be the case. I never looked at what channel it was recording from. Now I know. Thanks!
Expert

Re: DVR Recoring Reruns Despite Setting for New Episodes Only


@benjamin921 wrote:
Well Rustyben, that will be the case. I never looked at what channel it was recording from. Now I know. Thanks!

no problem. you can set the series recording to only record from one channel if you like.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: DVR Recoring Reruns Despite Setting for New Episodes Only

I notice that a lot
New Poster

Re: DVR Recoring Reruns Despite Setting for New Episodes Only

Would it not be a smart thing for comcast to REQUIRE a network to label a show correctly as new or repeat .. run into issues like this for years over tons of shows  and not by accident where a network will specifically relable repeat shows as in "last" season to show up on your DVR to drum up anticipation for the coming release of the "new " season

 

this is not oversight not error but manipulation ... thousands of my shows / movies I have marked as SEEN get routinely unmarked as seen all the time which is highly annoying .. If I invest 20 miutes marking all first 7 seasons of episodes of game of thrones as SEEN .. get very mad when a month later they all are no longer marked

Expert

Re: DVR Recoring Reruns Despite Setting for New Episodes Only


@Griffon327 wrote:

Would it not be a smart thing for comcast to REQUIRE a network to label a show correctly as new or repeat .. run into issues like this for years over tons of shows  and not by accident where a network will specifically relable repeat shows as in "last" season to show up on your DVR to drum up anticipation for the coming release of the "new " season

 

this is not oversight not error but manipulation ... thousands of my shows / movies I have marked as SEEN get routinely unmarked as seen all the time which is highly annoying .. If I invest 20 miutes marking all first 7 seasons of episodes of game of thrones as SEEN .. get very mad when a month later they all are no longer marked


the channels provide the info to the guide companies. remember that some syndicated shows may have older shows marked as 'new' on thier network's previere. if you don't want other network's recordings, set up your recording from the guide finding the channel datte and time of a future recording and make the series recording from the guide (and not from a search). By using the guide method, you will have a choice to record on 'that' channel only not all channels.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: DVR Recoring Reruns Despite Setting for New Episodes Only

What if the new season isn't for several weeks? Do you have to scroll thru to the correct date or is there a shortcut to get there.
Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: DVR Recoring Reruns Despite Setting for New Episodes Only

@Slosue
What are you trying to do?

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Silver Problem Solver

Re: DVR Recoring Reruns Despite Setting for New Episodes Only


@Slosue wrote:
What if the new season isn't for several weeks? Do you have to scroll thru to the correct date or is there a shortcut to get there.

AFAIK, the Guide only goes out two weeks.  But when I set a series recording for a program, it schedules all available episodes.

When I record my MLB team, I can only schedule the next two weeks, because some of the games are on two channels at the same time and I donl't want to have two recordings for the same game.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!