Community Forum

DVR Migration Strategy

Highlighted
Contributor

DVR Migration Strategy

I am getting a second DVR, an XG1V4, this week. As for many of us -

• My old DVR is at 80% or so. Perhaps 300 hours? (Big family)
  • I would like to eventually return the old DVR back to Comcast to save the charges
  • My cloud DVR is of course 100% full of only the most recent 60 hours of stuff so that's not much help
  • So as I gradually burn off the old shows, I would like to ensure that all new shows go to the new V4
  • I gather that the X1 algorithm will record any new shows on the DVR with the most "resources," i.e., available tuners and HD space
  • So, finally, is it safe to assume that all new shows will go onto the new DVR since it has 100% available HD space, at least at first, and will likely never reach 80% full?
  • And (whatever comes after finally), when the old DVR finally has not much content left making it a likely but unwanted target for new recordings, I plan to unplug the new DVR for a minute occasionally and set a recording for the longest show I can find at that moment, using this to keep the old DVR filled up with junk files

Anyone from Comcast, er, Xfinity or in the peanut gallery smart enough to think of a more clever solution? As an IT guy (you might have guessed), I find these kind of work-arounds for non-configurable systems slightly challenging but ultimately annoying. Geez, give us some SYSGEN parameters. (If anyone gets this reference -- you are really old.)

Thanks. 

Expert

Re: DVR Migration Strategy

@R_Aster wrote:

I am getting a second DVR, an XG1V4, this week. As for many of us -

• My old DVR is at 80% or so. Perhaps 300 hours? (Big family)
  • I would like to eventually return the old DVR back to Comcast to save the charges
  • My cloud DVR is of course 100% full of only the most recent 60 hours of stuff so that's not much help
  • So as I gradually burn off the old shows, I would like to ensure that all new shows go to the new V4
  • I gather that the X1 algorithm will record any new shows on the DVR with the most "resources," i.e., available tuners and HD space
  • So, finally, is it safe to assume that all new shows will go onto the new DVR since it has 100% available HD space, at least at first, and will likely never reach 80% full?
  • And (whatever comes after finally), when the old DVR finally has not much content left making it a likely but unwanted target for new recordings, I plan to unplug the new DVR for a minute occasionally and set a recording for the longest show I can find at that moment, using this to keep the old DVR filled up with junk files

Anyone from Comcast, er, Xfinity or in the peanut gallery smart enough to think of a more clever solution? As an IT guy (you might have guessed), I find these kind of work-arounds for non-configurable systems slightly challenging but ultimately annoying. Geez, give us some SYSGEN parameters. (If anyone gets this reference -- you are really old.)

Thanks. 

Do you have non-DVR companion set to box(es) too? i had 3 DVRs but wanted one of the xg1v4 to 'test out'. when the season is over and i've caught up again on older recordings watching, I'll return one of my xg1v3 swapping for an xiD or similar. note that while you have a 2nd DVR you also double your cloud DVR space.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Hi @Rustyben ,

Yeah, I do have a slave box also. That doesn't change the problem though?

Any input (I have seen your posts and know you are expert on all this) on how to game the system to force all new recordings to the new DVR for a few months as I empty out the old one gradually? 

Anyone? @Bueller? Anyone?

Thanks,

RA

Expert

@R_Aster wrote:

Hi @Rustyben ,

Any input (I have seen your posts and know you are expert on all this) on how to game the system to force all new recordings to the new DVR for a few months as I empty out the old one gradually? 

Thanks,

RA

the only fix I can see is to replace the companion with another DVR then when you catch up (after end of regular season) swap one of the DVRs back for a companion (preferably an Xg2 with its own tuners as STB #2).

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

the only fix I can see is to replace the companion with another DVR then when you catch up (after end of regular season) swap one of the DVRs back for a companion (preferably an Xg2 with its own tuners as STB #2).

@Rustyben wrote:

@R_Aster wrote:

Hi @Rustyben ,

Thanks,

RA

Yeah, well I do have the two DVRs (plus a slave) but I am trying to make sure shows stop recording on the old one so I can eventually get it emptied and return it to Comcast. 

Anyone from Comcast have a statement on the actual algorithm used by X1 to select the particular DVR to record on in a multi-DVR home? I have only seen some comments that it is based on disk space available and tuners available. Does the DVR on which the recording was requested have any effect? 

Expert

@R_Aster wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@R_Aster wrote:

Hi @Rustyben ,

Thanks,

RA

Yeah, well I do have the two DVRs (plus a slave) but I am trying to make sure shows stop recording on the old one so I can eventually get it emptied and return it to Comcast. 

Anyone from Comcast have a statement on the actual algorithm used by X1 to select the particular DVR to record on in a multi-DVR home? I have only seen some comments that it is based on disk space available and tuners available. Does the DVR on which the recording was requested have any effect? 

the DVR is programmed for scheduled recordings during the overnight reboot by the database maintained by the scheduler in the cloud. the scheduler sees the resources available and determines the DVR that makes each scheduled recording. no input is available from us (users) as to what is used except in hot recordings. you might force a DVR to record using hot recordings (press record). If you do that enough the box will fill up. if you set each recording to keep one year (maximum). once that DVR has a hundred hours of those recordings or more, it may be possible to 'force' the other DVR to be used. note: be sure if you do that to marke each recording you have 'so far' to keep a year too, or the other recordings will be automatically deleted to make room for the new recordings.  

Official Employee

Hello R_Aster! I'm glad you reached out to us with these concerns. 

The only way to guarantee a recording will be on a specific DVR would be to only have that one DVR connected. While it may not be a very convenient process, I did work with a customer in the past who was doing something similar on a more permanent basis. They had multiple DVR's and would only ever have 1 connected at a time so they could specify which recording went on which DVR. However, this meant that they would have to do single time recordings and would have to reach out to us to swap the active DVR in our system because the recorder will tie to whichever DVR is active at the time. This means if you set a reoccurring recording it ties to that DVR, if it comes time to record that show and that DVR isn't connected it will error out and won't record. 

Needless to say, we spoke with that customer often. 

What you are trying to accomplish is possible, but it will be a bit tedious on your part and will open the door for other errors if any of the DVR's don't activate correctly. If it is still something you wish to move forward with, I can definitely help. Feel free to send me a private message with your first and last name if you would like my assistance.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

R_Aster, as I have not heard back from you in some time, I have closed this thread to further comments. If you still need assistance, please feel free to start a new thread.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.