Community Forum

DVR Asleep, Appears Dead

Frequent Visitor

DVR Asleep, Appears Dead

I am posting this hoping to help others. Sometimes when I turn on the TV connected to my xfinity DVR, the TV displays its message saying no video signal is present. This happens once or twice a week with the first being the day of the Super Bowl. I have called Comcast and we've tried numerous solutions. Remember that this is intermittent so the only way I know a solution works is if the problem doesn't come back. The steps have been:

- Unplug and plug in the DVR. After seeing the standard boot messages displayed through the TV, the no video signal message returns.

- Reboot the Commscope Drop Amp in my basement. This sometimes works but usually not.

- Replaced the power supply on the above mentioned Amp. Once this is installed in your house, you own it and Comcast will charge a service call if it has failed. However, this didn't help.

- Replace the Amp at my own expense (cheaper than a service call).

- Swap the DVR for a non-DVR box and see if the problem moves with the box or stays on the same drop (it moves).

Today, I found a dead TV again. I cycled the power and called again. The agent said she sent a reset from Comcast and received a message that my D was asleep. This is even after a reboot. Her solution was simple. She asked me to press the VRxfinity button on my remote. This immediately caused the picture to appear. 

If you have a DVR that is not sending a signal to your TV but you can see the reboot sequence, try pushing the xfinity button on your remote. If it solves the issue, your DVR was simply asleep to conserve power.

Official Employee

Re: DVR Asleep, Appears Dead

The channel up/down does the same thing or turn off Power Saver mode
Frequent Visitor

How do I turn off the power save mode?

Silver Problem Solver

@mwr1956 wrote:

How do I turn off the power save mode?

Gear icon Settings > Device Settings > Power Preferences.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Frequent Visitor

Thanks!