Community Forum

Controlling sound bar with XR5 remote

New Poster

Controlling sound bar with XR5 remote

I have installed a new X1 box with XR5 remote.

I have a Samsung TV and Samsung sound bar

I have to turn on the sound bar with it own remote. Once it on I can control the volume with the XR5 remote. When I shut things off the XR5 remote shuts down both the TV and Sound bar.

So I am wonder if there is a way to program the remote to turn on the sound bar.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Controlling sound bar with XR5 remote

All you can do is try every Samsung code on the planet.

On the other hand, the Comcast X1 remotes have very poor support for audio products in general and it is very possible you should consider yourself lucky the XR5 controls the volume.

plumislandsam wrote:

I have to turn on the sound bar with it own remote. Once it on I can control the volume with the XR5 remote. When I shut things off the XR5 remote shuts down both the TV and Sound bar.

So I am wonder if there is a way to program the remote to turn on the sound bar.

plumislandsam wrote:

Silver Problem Solver

See if this helps:

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-remote-control-an-audio-device/

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Official Employee

If you pair your remote to the box (press setup and then xfinity and enter the code that pops up) there is now a process to set the code for your tv and audio devices. No guarantees on soundbars tho

New Poster

Just got the same setup as above and the identical issue with turning it ON. Any solutions to date?

Gold Problem Solver

31949 and 31950 are the codes I see for Samsung audio.

If one of the codes turns it off and controls the volume but does not turn it on, I highly doubt there is a solution. As was mentioned earlier in this thread, the X1 remotes have very limited support for audio products, especially sound bars.

Have you tried the manual code search process...???

Ozt wrote:

Just got the same setup as above and the identical issue with turning it ON. Any solutions to date?

New Poster

A miracle occurred and I was able to get my xr5 remote to control my Samsung TV and Samsung sound bar .. both power on and off. I entered the remote setup from the setup menu/help/remote setup. I skipped the TV setup since I already had that setup. Then I selected yes to setup an audio receiver and then selected Samsung. Then I hit the setup button until the green light flashed and then entered 992 for the auto setup (none of the codes were accepted). After hitting the channel up button about 70 times the sound bar powered off. I hit the setup button again and it has worked since then. Have patience searching for the right code as there is a lag before the sound bar will turn off.

New Poster

I have the same situation, but I am using an XR2 remote - not only does it not turn on with the tv, but it's not controlling the soundbar volume either So basically the only useful thing it does is turn on/off the TV.

Maybe if I configure the tv somehow to modify the volume of the soundbar, I can correct that issue (probably just doing it wrong), but otherwise, it doesn't look like there is a way to turn on the soundbar with the TV using the XR2 remote. 

Tags (3)
New Poster

Thank you. This process absolutely worked for me. Great job and thank you for sharing!!!!!
New Poster

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!! I was all bummed out to find out, when I set up my sound bar, that I would have to use yet another remote. But I stumbled on your post, and it made my evening! I can now control my sound bar using my Xfinity remote. Yay!
Gold Problem Solver

1 1/2 Year Old Topic being Closed.