Community Forum

Continuing Comcast X1 TV pixilation problems and screen freezing

Frequent Visitor

Continuing Comcast X1 TV pixilation problems and screen freezing

I am having continual problems with X1 TV picture pixilating and freezing.  This occurs on ESPN channels, NESN, NBCSN, etc. and I am sure on others that I don't watch.  Probelm is worse in the evenings but can happen anytime. Problem started about a year ago and I had a service technician visit.  He confirmed signals were low but all he did was swap out the cable box and that did not solve the problem.  Problem was not so bad in the fall but then this winter it started back up again.  Called customer support and they sent a technician to check outside connections and scheduled a followed up home service visit.  When technican arrived at my house he immediately said this was a known problem and he could not fix it.  He said outside connections looked good.  Said they knew about it last summer and then it went away so they hoped it was gone but now it had come back and they were getting a lot of complaints.  He confirmed signals were low and swapped cable box and said when it gets real bad to watch in standard defintion.  NOT what I am paying over $250/month for!  Problem occurs on 2 different TVs with different cable boxes.  I can't understand why this has not been fixed when it is a known problem that has existed for over a year.  I responded to the recent survey that specifically asked about pixilation problems, etc. which further confirms this is a known problem and is not something to do with connections, etc. in my house.  Please help.  I have never seriously considered switching to FIOS but if this problem is not fixed soon I may have to.

 

I seem to have some erratic internet issues too where I will briefly lose internet.  Did a spped check and download rate is in the 50's and upload rate in the 5's.

Expert

Re: Continuing Comcast X1 TV pixilation problems and screen freezing


@ddshepard wrote:

I am having continual problems with X1 TV picture pixilating and freezing.  This occurs on ESPN channels, NESN, NBCSN, etc. and I am sure on others that I don't watch.  Probelm is worse in the evenings but can happen anytime. Problem started about a year ago and I had a service technician visit.  He confirmed signals were low but all he did was swap out the cable box and that did not solve the problem.  Problem was not so bad in the fall but then this winter it started back up again.  Called customer support and they sent a technician to check outside connections and scheduled a followed up home service visit.  When technican arrived at my house he immediately said this was a known problem and he could not fix it.  He said outside connections looked good.  Said they knew about it last summer and then it went away so they hoped it was gone but now it had come back and they were getting a lot of complaints.  He confirmed signals were low and swapped cable box and said when it gets real bad to watch in standard defintion.  NOT what I am paying over $250/month for!  Problem occurs on 2 different TVs with different cable boxes.  I can't understand why this has not been fixed when it is a known problem that has existed for over a year.  I responded to the recent survey that specifically asked about pixilation problems, etc. which further confirms this is a known problem and is not something to do with connections, etc. in my house.  Please help.  I have never seriously considered switching to FIOS but if this problem is not fixed soon I may have to.

 

I seem to have some erratic internet issues too where I will briefly lose internet.  Did a spped check and download rate is in the 50's and upload rate in the 5's.


what you describe is not what I've seen when an in-house technician arrives. they come in with their 'box' and connect to the outlets and the box scans each television frequency looking for issues that for example will cause pixelation. there is no 'known' problem unless perhaps it is a note (your area connected to the same Comcast external (to your home) equipment. If that doesn't sound like the type of tech you have had in your home you might call in to 800-Comcast and ask for an in-house Comcast technician.


I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here(updated).
Frequent Visitor

Re: Continuing Comcast X1 TV pixilation problems and screen freezing

I did have an in-house technician at my house.  But right away he said the problem was not on my end that he could not fix and that many other people are having the same problem and complaining.   He did evaluate my signals and confirmed they were faulty. That is why I (and the techician) say it is a problem that Comcast is aware of and has not yet fixed.  

Expert

Re: Continuing Comcast X1 TV pixilation problems and screen freezing


@ddshepard wrote:

I did have an in-house technician at my house.  But right away he said the problem was not on my end that he could not fix and that many other people are having the same problem and complaining.   He did evaluate my signals and confirmed they were faulty. That is why I (and the techician) say it is a problem that Comcast is aware of and has not yet fixed.  


I have escalated your issue to the Comcast Team available to these forums. Check back often for a reply in this thread from a Comcast Official Employee.


I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here(updated).
Frequent Visitor

Re: Continuing Comcast X1 TV pixilation problems and screen freezing

Thank You!

Official Employee

Re: Continuing Comcast X1 TV pixilation problems and screen freezing

ddshepard, let's check out the root issue that causes the pixelation. Please send me a private message with your full name, address and phone number tied to your residential services for help. Just click my name and then click private message me.

New Poster

Re: Continuing Comcast X1 TV pixilation problems and screen freezing

Has there been a fix for this problem yet? I’m watching red sox on NESN and it is happing all of the time.

Expert

Re: Continuing Comcast X1 TV pixilation problems and screen freezing


@Jolilabr wrote:

Has there been a fix for this problem yet? I’m watching red sox on NESN and it is happing all of the time.


does a smart device or desk/laptop play the channel normally? what you describe is low signal levels or high noise levels or both (check connections,). if you can't find the problem a home visit may be necessary to fix the problem. it could be on the cable before it enters your home. 


I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here(updated).
Frequent Visitor

Re: Continuing Comcast X1 TV pixilation problems and screen freezing

The problem was the cable between street and my house.  It took 4 visits going back over a year before a technician decided to take a look at it.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Continuing Comcast X1 TV pixilation problems and screen freezing

That was my problem.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Continuing Comcast X1 TV pixilation problems and screen freezing

I have the same problems with the pixilation and freezing. A tech acme 3 times and finally replace the underground cable from the pole to the house. Still the same. Another tech came and said he would put in a work request to find and fix the problem coming to the pole. 3 months gone by and nothing but runarounds from comcast. So far everything has been replaced from the poll to the tv. And It's still  the same.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Continuing Comcast X1 TV pixilation problems and screen freezing

I think I will be moving on to another company. 


@lpiere wrote:

I have the same problems with the pixilation and freezing. A tech acme 3 times and finally replace the underground cable from the pole to the house. Still the same. Another tech came and said he would put in a work request to find and fix the problem coming to the pole. 3 months gone by and nothing but runarounds from comcast. So far everything has been replaced from the poll to the tv. And It's still  the same.


 

New Poster

Re: Continuing Comcast X1 TV pixilation problems and screen freezing

We live and Maryland and have the same problem. It’s most noticeable on the HD channels – TLC, Food Network, HGTV, and the Travel channel. We had several technicians come out and they confirmed that it is not our house wiring. The problem is at the junction box in our neighborhood. The local line supervisor and local Xfinity store manager are aware of it but, won't give me a status update. It's very frustrating!

Frequent Visitor

Re: Continuing Comcast X1 TV pixilation problems and screen freezing

I live on Cape Cod, Mass. I have spoken to people in my area (not all in my neighborhood) with the same problem with no help from comcast. One of the customer service persons I spoke to has the same problem (this person is about 50 mile from me) I am frustrated as is everyone else I spoke to. I was starting to think that because I can't get results, I should live with it. But for more than $200 a month, I should be getting more. My next move is to change cable suppliers.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Continuing Comcast X1 TV pixilation problems and screen freezing

I also think that the design of the DVR might be some of the problem. I notice the bigest distortions on recorded or paused and restarted programs. I have replaced the box twice and did many restarts. All programming goes through it. Could this be the problem and not all this other try this and try that stuff? I wish someone at Comcast would look at this.