Community Forum

Constant blue light on new equipment

New Poster

Constant blue light on new equipment

Picked up a new box yesterday and connected.  The blue light remains constant when it did not do this before.  Is there a way from the remote to turn it off when I turn off the tv?

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Constant blue light on new equipment

X1 boxes are designed to remain turned on 24-7-365. However you can adjust the light in device settings within the menu.
Valued Contributor

Rick, that seems like a waste of power to me.   On my X1 boxes I have settings, under device and power that I can make sure the boxes shut down except for standby power.  Are you saying all the new boxes can't do that?  I sure hope that is not the case.

Expert

fedup978 wrote:

Rick, that seems like a waste of power to me.   On my X1 boxes I have settings, under device and power that I can make sure the boxes shut down except for standby power.  Are you saying all the new boxes can't do that?  I sure hope that is not the case.

a year or two ago, I computed the power difference between 'on' and standby, and then took the difference and extended to 24/7/365 and it came to $1 in energy over that entire year (getting no benefit of ever using the box at all during that year.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Gold Problem Solver

X1 boxes draw very little power.

What most people do not understand is cable boxes draw almost as much power when they are off as they do when they are on. The difference is roughly 10%.

Think about this another way. Do you leave your modem and router on 24-7-365? Yes you probably do. They probably draw more power than an X1 box does. Do you leave your laptop computer on 24-7-365? Most people do and they typically draw more power than X1 boxes do.

Leaving an X1 box on 24-7-365 costs you pennies per year...
New Poster

Dimming to a 1 of 3 is still too bright, though. Why not have an option to turn the blue light off completely?
Silver Problem Solver

Lynn1202 wrote:
Dimming to a 1 of 3 is still too bright, though. Why not have an option to turn the blue light off completely?

I have two blue light DVR's and the only time I notice them being bright is at 3am when they go through their refresh cycle.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Official Employee

There is,
Xfinity button to Gear Symbol to Device Settings to Device Lights to Power Light Brightness and press ok, choose between 1,2,3 or Off
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

New Poster

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-power-save-faqs

This article explains how to put your X1 box into power save mode, which will turn the light off, and why this feature was disabled on the remote control. (The power button is on the top of my X1 box, not the front.) It also says "to maximize your energy savings, you should always put your TV Box in Power Saver mode when you are done watching TV."
Expert

@BeeG2 wrote:
https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-power-save-faqs

This article explains how to put your X1 box into power save mode, which will turn the light off, and why this feature was disabled on the remote control. (The power button is on the top of my X1 box, not the front.) It also says "to maximize your energy savings, you should always put your TV Box in Power Saver mode when you are done watching TV."

...and the xg1v4 DVR has no power button and only a couple of LEDs. You can get most of your 'savings' by turning off the clock display and power LED (if any). the difference between power save mode and full on is 2-3 watts.

We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

New Poster

How do I dim the blue light on the mini cable box?

Official Employee

Xfinity button to Gear Symbol to Device Settings to Device lights, press ok and adjust brightness 1,2,3 or off
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Regular Visitor

Does the blue light need to always stay on.
Expert

@seabry9 wrote:
Does the blue light need to always stay on.

see the post just before your post for details to turn it down in brightness or even off (where I leave mine).