Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Constant RDK-03033 Error On 3 Different X1 Boxes

Frequent Visitor

Constant RDK-03033 Error On 3 Different X1 Boxes

Our household switched from non-X1 tv to the X1 platform back in January. I took all our old equipment to a local Xfinity store and had it swapped out for the X1 boxes. All worked well for 6 or so weeks. No problems, just noticed that the guide/channel switching on the non-dvr X1 boxes was laggy.

About 3 weeks ago we have been getting RDK-03033 error codes on all 3 X1 boxes. One box is a DVR (Pace XG1v3), and the other two boxes are (Pace XG2v2-P).

I have tried everything from adding a POE MoCA filter on both my cable internet drop and cable tv drop. Removed a splitter that was unnecessary. Removed an amplifier in the attic. Mind you the setup in my house worked for a good 6 weeks before I started getting problems and I didn’t have MoCA filters, and was using an amplifier for the TV’s on the second story.

About a few weeks before I switched to X1 I had a tech out because we were constantly getting T3/T4 timeouts on our business internet. The tech found a bunch of chewed through wires at the pole and changed them. He also changed the splitter on the outside of the house.

Currently two drops come to our house from the pole, one directly to the cable modem. The other is split at the pole with a 2 way splitter and feeds my house and my neighbors. The cable tv drop goes into a grounding block/MoCA filter, the directly into a 4 way splitter on the outside of my house. 1 leg feeding the family room tv that has the (Pace XG1v3) box. 1 leg going to the attic for the second story, 1 leg goes to the basement tv (Pace HDUDTA), the fourth leg is terminated with a proper terminator.

In the attic on the second story I then have a 4 way splitter, one leg feeding a X1 box (Pace XG2v2-P), another leg feeding the other X1 box (Pace XG2v2-P), third leg goes to a Pace HDUDTA, fourth leg goes into a 2 way splitter with each leg of it feeding a Pace HDUDTA.

So in total I have four Pace HDUDTA boxes, two Pace XG2v2-P X1 boxes, and one Pace XG1v3 X1 DVR box.

I have tried everything on my end to resolve the RDK-03033 problems. Didn’t have MoCA filters initially but I installed them because I kept getting “noLink” when looking at the MoCA diagnostics. That really didn’t seem to help since the problem persisted after. So I figured it may be the amplifier was amplifying noise so I removed it and put a splitter in its place. Seems to have helped slightly but I am still getting the RDK-03033 errors, just not as often it seems.

I really don’t know what could have happened randomly that after about 6 weeks of no problems no I am constantly getting the same error across all X1 boxes. None of the HDUDTA boxes have problems. I know the X1 boxes are more sensitive to too weak/too strong of a signal but this is beginning to be ridiculous. I’ve noticed at peak times it gets worse, and especially during fast forwarding or rewinding live tv or shows saved on the DVR.

Today when it went out I checked the signal strength of the DVR box to see what was going on by going into the diagnostic screen (exit for five seconds, down arrow twice, then the number 2). This was during peak time around 7pm. I noticed of 3 tuners that we’re locked, the signal strength was -7dBmv, -5dBmv and 2dBmv. Upstream power was at 53TenthdBmv, downstream SNR was 39TenthsdBmv.

I have tried everything on my end to make sure that the cables inside house were not the reason this error kept coming up. Would a tech visit be the next course of action here? I really don’t want a tech to come out and claim that it’s nothing on their end and charge me for a visit.
Official Employee

Re: Constant RDK-03033 Error On 3 Different X1 Boxes

It may be something that was fluctuating. Just checked real time and your upstream is sitting at 43 and everything is online and in spec.
Frequent Visitor

Yes off peak hours everything seems fine. During peak hours I get the error, sometimes multiple times a day, and unplugging and plugging back in 3 boxes that take 5-10 minutes to boot is a little ridiculous. I shouldn’t have to be doing this, especially when I didn’t have this problem for 5-6 weeks when I first switched to the X1 platform.
Official Employee

I’ll check later on today/tonight if there’s any fluctuations and look at history of the boxes
Frequent Visitor

In all honesty I’m sure it’ll happen again. At one point the downstream power level was -16dbmv on one of the tuners on our Pace XG2v2-P boxes. There is definitely a problem in this area it seems that causes the signal levels to completely bog down at high demand/peak times. Like I said this still doesn’t explain why 6 weeks everything worked fine, off peak times and peak times, with no change to anything in my house. It was only after I started having problems I tried to rule out that cabling, splitters, amplifiers in my house were the problem. It has been since the past 3 weeks that these problems started and everything I have done on my end hasn’t really fixed it.
Official Employee

Checked again in real time, nothing has changed
Frequent Visitor

Last night surprisingly there were no problems, but like I said it still doesn’t explain why everything worked fine for 6 weeks and now we are getting problems.
Frequent Visitor

Well, there is goes again. All 3 boxes just restarted on their own 12:30PM CST 03/17/18.
Expert

@blgli wrote:
Well, there is goes again. All 3 boxes just restarted on their own 12:30PM CST 03/17/18.

All X1 boxes restart every night.  Settings can choose when they reboot within a certain timeframe.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/changing-daily-update-time

Frequent Visitor

That’s fine that restart at night, but this was at 12:30PM, not 12:30AM. This restart happened in the afternoon yesterday.
Official Employee

Hi blgli. If you still need assistance with the RDK errors continuing, I can assist in sending out a technician to assist in identifying the root cause of your errors. If needed, please reach out to me via private message and include your full name, service address, and account number so I can assist you. 

Frequent Visitor

ComcastJoeTru, thanks but I have chatted with an Xfinity representative and I have a scheduled tech visit for 3-20 which was the earliest they had available. I sure hope this is fixed with one visit because the X1 DVR box must have restarted 10-15 times on its own today ruining any shows I was watching on live TV as well as recording, so this is getting a little ridiculous now.

Expert

@blgli wrote:

ComcastJoeTru, thanks but I have chatted with an Xfinity representative and I have a scheduled tech visit for 3-20 which was the earliest they had available. I sure hope this is fixed with one visit because the X1 DVR box must have restarted 10-15 times on its own today ruining any shows I was watching on live TV as well as recording, so this is getting a little ridiculous now.

is it working properly now? what did the tech have to do to fix the issue?