Community Forum

Constant A/V dropouts - all channels, all cable boxes

Regular Contributor

Constant A/V dropouts - all channels, all cable boxes

They're back.

I am seeing constant audio/video dropouts on all channels and on all my X1 cable boxes. I've tried rebooting everything to no avail. The glitches are recorded on my DVR and appear on playback.

I suspect the problems are upstream of me, and not in my home. I am located in the East San Francisco Bay Area of California. How do I get technical support for this issue?

Tags (1)
Official Employee

Re: Constant A/V dropouts - all channels, all cable boxes

@Alamo_Bob wrote:

They're back.

I am seeing constant audio/video dropouts on all channels and on all my X1 cable boxes. I've tried rebooting everything to no avail. The glitches are recorded on my DVR and appear on playback.

I suspect the problems are upstream of me, and not in my home. I am located in the East San Francisco Bay Area of California. How do I get technical support for this issue?

Escalated to assist getting a tech out. Can't say if anything is going on outside remotely but you definitely have signal issues to the dvr. The Xg2 and your modem aree well within specs. There shouldn't be a 20 dB upstream signal level swing between your modem and DVR, possibly too many splitters or an amp.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

@ComcastAndrew wrote:

@Alamo_Bob wrote:

They're back.

Escalated to assist getting a tech out. Can't say if anything is going on outside remotely but you definitely have signal issues to the dvr. The Xg2 and your modem aree well within specs. There shouldn't be a 20 dB upstream signal level swing between your modem and DVR, possibly too many splitters or an amp.

Thanks. My home is wired both for Cat5e and coax cable to most every room. There is a powered amp/splitter in my network closet, installed by the previous homeowner's installer circa 2008-2010 (I moved in in 2012).

The amp/splitter appears to be "Open House" brand, "Channel Plus" model HBI6BID (can't tell if those are ones (1) or eyes (I)). One input,  6 outputs. The modem gets 1/2 the incoming signal via a  splitter, then all the TVs get the other half split via the amp. Some of the rooms are further split via a passive Channel Plus 532-230 5-way splitter/combiner downstream of the powered amp. Like I said, I didn't install this.

I haven't opened my home-run network/phone/cable cabinet in years. I just now opened it to see what the heck was in there. What a jungle. Checking all the connections, the coax input to the amp was not fully tight. I just hand-tightened it. Can you check whether that made any difference?

Anyway, my Xfinity TV is usually pretty good, but these dropouts have been getting worse over the last 2 weeks or so.

I appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks,

- Bob

Regular Contributor

Oops, sorry. I thought I was replying to a PM. No need for everyone on Planet Xfinity to read my gory details. Move along.

Official Employee

That would explain the big gap in upstream signal between modem and DVR. Basically it’s working harder than it needed to.
Whatever you did dropped the upstream into spec but still high.

If you end up with a tech visit they should be able install one of these instead

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
337F6D36-1A97-4C47-B8F2-72E04F7429E5.jpeg
New Poster

/Constant A/V droputs all channels - Mountain View, Los Altos,Palo Alto

Same Problem in Mountain View & Los Altos - September 2018

@Alamo_Bob wrote:

They're back.

Regular Contributor

Re: /Constant A/V droputs all channels - Mountain View, Los Altos,Palo Alto

I think Comcast did something which fixed my dropouts. Shortly after posting my complaint above, two things happened simultaneously.

1. My Internet died because DNS stopped working. This had never happened before. Rebooting my modem remedied that.
  2. The a/v dropouts ceased.

In the old days, we'd say Comcast "sent a signal" to our cable boxes. I have no verification, so this is a guess. but I suspect Comcast Andrew helped me out.

New Poster

Bob, Was your problem ever solvad? I am in Oregon having the same problem. I have swapped out cables, changed audio to a spdif fiber cable. The issue is still there. My wife claims that the box she watches does the same thing but nowhere near as bad as the DVR box. Verry frustrating. I hooked up directly from box to tv(bypassing receiver) and same thing.
Expert

@Ronogg wrote:
Bob, Was your problem ever solvad? I am in Oregon having the same problem. I have swapped out cables, changed audio to a spdif fiber cable. The issue is still there. My wife claims that the box she watches does the same thing but nowhere near as bad as the DVR box. Verry frustrating. I hooked up directly from box to tv(bypassing receiver) and same thing.

on your Xg1 DVR connected tv use voice remote "about" and reply back with the STB version line information.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

PXOO1AN_3.Op26s1_PROD_sey
Expert

@Ronogg wrote:
PXOO1AN_3.Op26s1_PROD_sey

that explains it the px0001 is the oldest and has known unfixed audio dropout issues. are you connected to your set top box by HDMI only? if so, swap the version 1 for a version 4 when you like. use the streaming web site or stream app on smart devices to see what will be still available in the cloud DVR. recordings on the version 1 will be lost when you swap it out (but the cloud DVR recordings will show up on the home X1 equipment and play normally).

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

So I just have to call Xfinity and tell them I need a new box? Do I specify that I want a version 4? Thank you for all of your help
Silver Problem Solver

@Ronogg wrote:
So I just have to call Xfinity and tell them I need a new box? Do I specify that I want a version 4? Thank you for all of your help

That's what I did.  I replaced one older X1 DVR with an X1V4 UHD box.  Later, I called and ordered an additional UHD box for another UHD TV.  I sent back my old DVR in the UHD box.  

I found out later that my nearest Xfinity Store had them and I didn't need to order them; I can just take my old DVR and they will swap it for a UHD DVR.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

Does Comcast actually broadcast anything in UHD? I've had a 4K TV for a few years now and everything that I watch UHD I stream it from my Roku. Or my UHD Blu-ray player.
Silver Problem Solver

@Ronogg wrote:
Does Comcast actually broadcast anything in UHD? I've had a 4K TV for a few years now and everything that I watch UHD I stream it from my Roku. Or my UHD Blu-ray player.

None of the channels that Comcast subscribes to are broadcast in UHD.  I haven't tried my OTA antenna, but I'm pretty sure I can't get OTA UHD.  If you can test it, let us know.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

Thanks for your help I got a new box and it works great now. We did loose some dvr stuff (like you said I would) but now everything is in the cloud so this will never be an issue again.