Community Forum

Confusion about different boxes

Contributor

Confusion about different boxes

Since my question was answered about the secondary boxes in my home (and I can't reply that thread), I started doing some research and found the box comparison chart.  So, my understanding is that when I got this installed (when X1 first came out) I got the RNG150 on the second TV because that is all there was available. It appears now there really is no need to have that box because there are better ones for the same price.

Now, it was recommened to swap that for the XG2 which is the same price.  I was just looking at that comparison chart and see the xi3, xiD and xi5. Besides the xi5 being wireless, what is the purpose of those other 2 boxes?  If they have no tuners and use a tuner from the xG1 box, and all the non DVR boxes are the same price, why would one choose on of those over the XG2?

Official Employee

Re: Confusion about different boxes

wrote:

Since my question was answered about the secondary boxes in my home (and I can't reply that thread), I started doing some research and found the box comparison chart.  So, my understanding is that when I got this installed (when X1 first came out) I got the RNG150 on the second TV because that is all there was available. It appears now there really is no need to have that box because there are better ones for the same price.

Now, it was recommened to swap that for the XG2 which is the same price.  I was just looking at that comparison chart and see the xi3, xiD and xi5. Besides the xi5 being wireless, what is the purpose of those other 2 boxes?  If they have no tuners and use a tuner from the xG1 box, and all the non DVR boxes are the same price, why would one choose on of those over the XG2?

The XiD,Xi3, and Xi5 are supposed to be used first before using an XG2 but doesn't always work out that way. The Xg2 came out after the Xi3 and XiD did.

Contributor

Ok got it, thanks!  I am able to switch boxes through the mail where they can ship me one so I don't have to go to the store?  Or is the store the only way?

Expert

adding.. the Xg2 has 3 tuners that will support additional Xi3, XiD set top boxes leaving all the Xg1 tuners available for recording programming. again IMO 2nd box (non-DVR) should be Xg2 then add up to 3 Xi3/XiD boxes before another Xg2 would be needed.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Official Employee

D-man, you can swap out the box via mail (I can have that arranged for you) or you can get them same day at your local service center. I can even check to see the inventory at whatever service center you choose. Let me know. 

KenF