Community Forum

Complain about nightly reboots on X1 boxes

Contributor

Complain about nightly reboots on X1 boxes

Seeing I have gotten no where so far, I would like to ask all users of the x1 box to complain to Comcast about the nightly restarts (reboots). If this is really for maintenance to apply fixes they neeed to roll a group of fixes together and then apply them once a month with a formal announcement when it is going to occur. Additionallly as a person who is watching a program is allowed to delay the restart to a later time. a set recording of a program should delay the restart until the program is completed. The current practice of rebooting every night is absurd especially considering that anything being recorded will be stopped.

 

It is time for Comcast to hear from people who find this practice unacceprable, so please call them to complain and add your comments here.

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Complain about nightly reboots on X1 boxes

I don't watch shows in the wee hours so the rebooting doesn't bother me - and I don't recall any of my early morning recordings being interrupted by the reboot process.  Are you sure the reboot will take place if a recording is in process?

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Complain about nightly reboots on X1 boxes

You have a point but I don't think this is high on the list of things that need to be fixed. X1 has bigger fish to fry. I'm with Manamok... I am rarely if ever recording at that time.

 

That being said I did record a Formula 1 race at 3am this morning. Please don't spoil it for me....LOL

 


JimXfin wrote:

Seeing I have gotten no where so far, I would like to ask all users of the x1 box to complain to Comcast about the nightly restarts (reboots). If this is really for maintenance to apply fixes they neeed to roll a group of fixes together and then apply them once a month with a formal announcement when it is going to occur. Additionallly as a person who is watching a program is allowed to delay the restart to a later time. a set recording of a program should delay the restart until the program is completed. The current practice of rebooting every night is absurd especially considering that anything being recorded will be stopped.

 

It is time for Comcast to hear from people who find this practice unacceprable, so please call them to complain and add your comments here.




 

 

Most Valued Poster

Re: Complain about nightly reboots on X1 boxes

Sorry, I feel your pain, but I too must join the chorus of voices that does not think that the nightly reboot is that big of a deal.  Geting mired with Comcast CSR's, trying to explain something that the CSR does not understand, hold times while they find another tech and explaining myself for the umpteenth time is just not worth this.  

 

Cheers. 

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Complain about nightly reboots on X1 boxes

Personally, I prefer developers (any company), fix small updates quickly, rather than taking months just to fix little things. If you've ever had an xbox 360, MS only released patches twice a year, so if there was a minor bug that could be easily squashed, you had to wait for the patch which took months. I'd rather they fix small things quickly.

Contributor

Re: Complain about nightly reboots on X1 boxes

It is a question that I asked, and I was told it would interrupt a recording. It means you cannot feel safe about recordings over night. As a side comment last night the reboot was at 2.

Contributor

Re: Complain about nightly reboots on X1 boxes

I admit it is just one among many, in fact I find the freezing of the menu screen 3 times last week a much bigger problem. Just approaching problems one by one.

Contributor

Re: Complain about nightly reboots on X1 boxes

The nightly reboots are beyond annoying. Im a very late night owl. Like clockwork, usually at exactly 3am it reboots. I get updates need to be done but it has been almost every night since we have had X1 installed a month ago. They should just pick one night out of the week and do a single collective update.

Contributor

Re: Complain about nightly reboots on X1 boxes

I prefer MS approach of monthly releases of fixes, but emergencies are handled outside that schedule. Rebooting this frequently makes me think we are being used as test cases.

New Poster

Re: Complain about nightly reboots on X1 boxes

I don't have any inside information about Comcast or the X1 - but as a network admin I do know if you have a server that tends to crash after running for a period of time - instead of fixing the actual problem, you can just have it automatically reboot on a schedule.  I've been at places where we reboot once a week though, rather than every night.

 

My guess is that Comcast is just doing a preemptive reboot every night so they don't have to bother with constantly fixing frozen X1 boxes.  Most people don't notice it happening at 3am so it's a lazy, but effective solution.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Complain about nightly reboots on X1 boxes


styckx wrote:

The nightly reboots are beyond annoying. Im a very late night owl. Like clockwork, usually at exactly 3am it reboots. I get updates need to be done but it has been almost every night since we have had X1 installed a month ago. They should just pick one night out of the week and do a single collective update.


The schedule of future progams is two weeks in advance.  They would have to do nightly updates to get the next two weeks + 1.  And yesterday would be removed from the schedule.


I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Contributor

Re: Complain about nightly reboots on X1 boxes

There has been no resolution to this problem and no help from Comcast on the phone or in this forum. Is this the type of service they are going to give to their customers. This is truely pathetic.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Complain about nightly reboots on X1 boxes

I had considered this but I was hoping it was not the case... Evidence suggest this explanation makes sense.

 


Jake_H wrote:

I don't have any inside information about Comcast or the X1 - but as a network admin I do know if you have a server that tends to crash after running for a period of time - instead of fixing the actual problem, you can just have it automatically reboot on a schedule.  I've been at places where we reboot once a week though, rather than every night.

 

My guess is that Comcast is just doing a preemptive reboot every night so they don't have to bother with constantly fixing frozen X1 boxes.  Most people don't notice it happening at 3am so it's a lazy, but effective solution.




Silver Problem Solver

Re: Complain about nightly reboots on X1 boxes


JimXfin wrote:

There has been no resolution to this problem and no help from Comcast on the phone or in this forum. Is this the type of service they are going to give to their customers. This is truely pathetic.


What do you want Comcast to do?


I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Problem Solver

Re: Complain about nightly reboots on X1 boxes


RobertWy wrote:

JimXfin wrote:

There has been no resolution to this problem and no help from Comcast on the phone or in this forum. Is this the type of service they are going to give to their customers. This is truely pathetic.


What do you want Comcast to do?


I guess x1 has gotten quite good if the only thing to complain about is the system rebooting at 2/3 AM.  I say keep those updates coming. 

Frequent Visitor

Re: Complain about nightly reboots on X1 boxes

Well its ok with the people who are not trying to record shows between 3-5 a.m.  How lucky for you.  But for those of us that have recordings set up it is a big deal.  The rebooting same time every night is ridiculous! Its ok if I happen to be up and can hit the button not to reboot at this time.  But every day come on.  Especially when that is not the only problem I am having with X1.  I have three other boxes that you can initially start watching the DVR on but 5 minutes into it, it gives a error message and kicks you out. This is all concerning especially when I pay $223 a month for a service that doesn't work, or that I use.  I had to sign up for the phone service (I do not use) to get a package deal or I would pay even more.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Complain about nightly reboots on X1 boxes

I woke up about 7 30 am and the the box was in the boot mode. Turned the tv on and nothing was on the screen.

Most Valued Poster

Re: Complain about nightly reboots on X1 boxes


fpirelli wrote:

RobertWy wrote:

JimXfin wrote:

There has been no resolution to this problem and no help from Comcast on the phone or in this forum. Is this the type of service they are going to give to their customers. This is truely pathetic.


What do you want Comcast to do?


I guess x1 has gotten quite good if the only thing to complain about is the system rebooting at 2/3 AM.  I say keep those updates coming. 


That about sums it up.

New Poster

Re: Complain about nightly reboots on X1 boxes

I have had the x1 dvr and 1 additional box in my home for a week and so far I'm not impressed. The boxes freeze or crash often
especially when browsing thru the guide or flipping thru the channels. I also get a recurring code 18 tune error.... Also Dvr has crashed
on a couple of occasions. I had to delete one of my recordings because it repeatedly froze after playing for 5 min. I tried re booting but it did not help. I am trying to be patient with it but the numerous problems Im having are ridiculous. Comcast please get it together or Im going back to DirecTv.
Problem Solver

Re: Complain about nightly reboots on X1 boxes


bsweh74 wrote:
I have had the x1 dvr and 1 additional box in my home for a week and so far I'm not impressed. The boxes freeze or crash often
especially when browsing thru the guide or flipping thru the channels. I also get a recurring code 18 tune error.... Also Dvr has crashed
on a couple of occasions. I had to delete one of my recordings because it repeatedly froze after playing for 5 min. I tried re booting but it did not help. I am trying to be patient with it but the numerous problems Im having are ridiculous. Comcast please get it together or Im going back to DirecTv.

You might want to have your signal checked.  It could be the issue holding you back. 

 

Sorry to hijack this thread on rebooting.

 

 

Contributor

Re: Complain about nightly reboots on X1 boxes

I have set up another thread on the X1 freezing which apparently is another feature.

 

I find it surprising that so many see no problem with the reboots everynight.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Complain about nightly reboots on X1 boxes

I think what Jake H said earlier in this thread is your answer. For once, Comcast is being proactive. They are rebooting the boxes to prevent lock ups, freezes and other issues.


If I viewed the X1 boxes as a computer, I would suggest they have a problem with memory management and rebooting them is a cheap way to temporarily fix it.

 

I think you should view it a smaller problem trying to prevent a bigger one.

 


JimXfin wrote:

I have set up another thread on the X1 freezing which apparently is another feature.

 

I find it surprising that so many see no problem with the reboots everynight.




Most Valued Poster

Re: Complain about nightly reboots on X1 boxes


JimXfin wrote:

I have set up another thread on the X1 freezing which apparently is another feature.

 

I find it surprising that so many see no problem with the reboots everynight.


Can't speak for anyone else here, but at the time of the reboots I have been in la-la land for some time with a few more hours to go.  Consequently, I have no issue with what goes on with that box while I am zonked.  When I wake up around six it is always ready for my viewing pleasure recording the local six o'clock news in case I oversleep.  

 

Cheers. 

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Complain about nightly reboots on X1 boxes


TiredRetired wrote:

JimXfin wrote:

I have set up another thread on the X1 freezing which apparently is another feature.

 

I find it surprising that so many see no problem with the reboots everynight.


Can't speak for anyone else here, but at the time of the reboots I have been in la-la land for some time with a few more hours to go.  Consequently, I have no issue with what goes on with that box while I am zonked.  When I wake up around six it is always ready for my viewing pleasure recording the local six o'clock news in case I oversleep.  

 

Cheers. 


Count me among the zonked also - early morning reboot works for me.

Contributor

Re: Complain about nightly reboots on X1 boxes

It makes sense to do the reboots during a time when the audience would be way down, but it is crazy to do this everynight plus there should be a notice when it is to occur. For me the biggest item has to do with scheduling a recording which would be interrupted bu this inane reboot every night.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Complain about nightly reboots on X1 boxes

I totally agree.  It is around the same time every morning.  And I know all those who are sleeping during this time or not trying to record a t.v. program don't care, but I bet they sure would if it happened every day during their news program or prime time showings.  Sorry not everyone sleeps in the night some of us have opposite schedules.  I'll I am trying to say is Comcast should try and spread out the reboots a bit more, and if they need to reboot every night they have some serious issues.  If I had to reboot my computer every day I would take and get it fixed because that is not normal.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Complain about nightly reboots on X1 boxes


Habybaby01 wrote:

I totally agree.  It is around the same time every morning.  And I know all those who are sleeping during this time or not trying to record a t.v. program don't care, but I bet they sure would if it happened every day during their news program or prime time showings.  Sorry not everyone sleeps in the night some of us have opposite schedules.  I'll I am trying to say is Comcast should try and spread out the reboots a bit more, and if they need to reboot every night they have some serious issues.  If I had to reboot my computer every day I would take and get it fixed because that is not normal.


I hear that!!!  I have a problem sleeping.... only need a couple of hours per night and am usually awake from midnight onwards until I goto work at 0500....

 

: )

New Poster

Re: Complain about nightly reboots on X1 boxes

Is there a way to set when the X1 box does the reboot?  Can I change it from 3am or whatever to instead do it at 6am every day?  I'm usually watching stuff until 5am every day and sometimes I miss the reboot later popup because I'm looking away or attending to my newborn and then the whole thing reboots and I can't even rewind to watch what I missed after it starts again.  This is pretty annoying.  I can understand if it needs to reboot each night because of their bugs and horrible programming job, but at least give me the option of selecting a time it will reboot when I'm not watching.  

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Complain about nightly reboots on X1 boxes


malygos wrote:

Is there a way to set when the X1 box does the reboot?  Can I change it from 3am or whatever to instead do it at 6am every day?  I'm usually watching stuff until 5am every day and sometimes I miss the reboot later popup because I'm looking away or attending to my newborn and then the whole thing reboots and I can't even rewind to watch what I missed after it starts again.  This is pretty annoying.  I can understand if it needs to reboot each night because of their bugs and horrible programming job, but at least give me the option of selecting a time it will reboot when I'm not watching.  


Not that I am aware of.... there is no setting of that kind anywhere....  Sorry!!!

Frequent Visitor

Re: Complain about nightly reboots on X1 boxes

No not that I know of.  It sure would be nice. It reboots even if your recording.

Valued Contributor

Re: Complain about nightly reboots on X1 boxes

This is addressed to no one in particular. But why record during those hours. 90% of shows shown at that hour are probably shown a half dozen times during the course of a month. Just record them at another time. Doesn't seem like a big deal to me. 

Frequent Visitor

Re: Complain about nightly reboots on X1 boxes

Because that is the one and only time that particular show comes on. So it is a big deal to me. I would like to record the whole series.. Is that not OK? Wow people act like I am attaching them personally.
Valued Contributor

Re: Complain about nightly reboots on X1 boxes

Um, no one is attacking you. Perhaps you should go back and re-read my post. It was addressed to no one in particular. I also said 90% of shows. No one solution is right for everyone. I am simply stating a solution that will work for some people. If it doesn't for you fine. Keep complaining to Comcast, who knows someday they may hear you and the others with a long list of complaints. Although I would suggest you try to find your own solution because many of these issues are going to take a long time to be resolved. Just a suggestion. 

Regular Contributor

Re: Complain about nightly reboots on X1 boxes

Are the reboots every night the same as doing a Device Restart i preferences? 

Frequent Visitor

Re: Complain about nightly reboots on X1 boxes

Sort of except when I am up and see it there is a pop up on the screen that says something like your box needs to reboot for update then gives a choice of restart now or restart later. If I do press restart now it takes longer than a regular restart in the preferences. Thank you for asking. :-)
Frequent Visitor

Re: Complain about nightly reboots on X1 boxes

.....
New Poster

Re: Complain about nightly reboots on X1 boxes

I agree, we should be given an option to delay the restart if we are watching a program. I see a lot of others dont think that the nightly reboot is an option but I do watch tv in the wee hours of the morning and it drives me absolutely crazy that it interrupts me watching a recorded program not to mention it takes quite a long time for the reboot to complete. They have a lot of work to do to improve the X1 platform and this is one of those things that needs to be worked on as well. 

 

 

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Complain about nightly reboots on X1 boxes

My wife tells me she has seen a delay restart message.


I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Valued Contributor

Re: Complain about nightly reboots on X1 boxes


RobertWy wrote:

My wife tells me she has seen a delay restart message.


I've seen the message also on the dvr. However, if you are watching from the companion box and the dvr restarts you lose the recording you were watching for ten minutes.

 

Contributor

Re: Complain about nightly reboots on X1 boxes

Yes though inconvenient, you are given the option to delay it. Major concern is when you are recording something and would not see the message to avoi your recording from being stopped. As an additional note, the notification use to be a message overlaying a small part of th screen, but now moste of the screen is shadowed making it difficult to see the screen