Community Forum

Change in 'new episode ' indicator in the guide

Most Valued Poster

Change in 'new episode ' indicator in the guide

Just curious as to  the purpose of changing the color of the 'badge' that indicates a new program episode from blue to white on the guide? The blue stood out to make it easy to identify a new episode. There are so many things that need tweaking / fixing so why mess with something that was just fine for the user.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Change in 'new episode ' indicator in the guide

Nice catch TB. I am kinda wondering why they would change this...


@TerriB wrote:

Just curious as to  the purpose of changing the color of the 'badge' that indicates a new program episode from blue to white on the guide? The blue stood out to make it easy to identify a new episode. There are so many things that need tweaking / fixing so why mess with something that was just fine for the user.




Most Valued Poster

Re: Change in 'new episode ' indicator in the guide


@RickGr4 wrote:

Nice catch TB. I am kinda wondering why they would change this...


@TerriB wrote:

Just curious as to  the purpose of changing the color of the 'badge' that indicates a new program episode from blue to white on the guide? The blue stood out to make it easy to identify a new episode. There are so many things that need tweaking / fixing so why mess with something that was just fine for the user.





Hey there Rick! Long time no see. My husband actually noticed it first because he was disappointed that  NCIS ( previously said NNCI.....oops...that was the acronym for a platform I worked on at AT&T ) was not new last night and upon further examination we discovered the change. As you know they make a lot  changes we never do understand but this cosmetic one boggles my mind.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Change in 'new episode ' indicator in the guide

You too TB.

 

Jumping up on my soapbox... my big concern is how many people in this forum monitor and trust X1 STB and XRE version numbers. Comcast is constantly fixing and changing X1 in the background without changing version numbers. 

I have been told by Comcast employees (who are in a position to know) that Comcast is always making changes to X1 in the background.

 


@TerriB wrote:

@RickGr4 wrote:

Nice catch TB. I am kinda wondering why they would change this...


@TerriB wrote:

Just curious as to  the purpose of changing the color of the 'badge' that indicates a new program episode from blue to white on the guide? The blue stood out to make it easy to identify a new episode. There are so many things that need tweaking / fixing so why mess with something that was just fine for the user.





Hey there Rick! Long time no see. My husband actually noticed it first because he was disappointed that NNCI was not new last night and upon further examination we discovered the change. As you know they make a lot  changes we never do understand but this cosmetic one boggles my mind.


 

Most Valued Poster

Re: Change in 'new episode ' indicator in the guide


@RickGr4 wrote:

You too TB.

 

Jumping up on my soapbox... my big concern is how many people in this forum monitor and trust X1 STB and XRE version numbers. Comcast is constantly fixing and changing X1 in the background without changing version numbers. 

I have been told by Comcast employees (who are in a position to know) that Comcast is always making changes to X1 in the background.

 


@TerriB wrote:

@RickGr4 wrote:

Nice catch TB. I am kinda wondering why they would change this...


@TerriB wrote:

Just curious as to  the purpose of changing the color of the 'badge' that indicates a new program episode from blue to white on the guide? The blue stood out to make it easy to identify a new episode. There are so many things that need tweaking / fixing so why mess with something that was just fine for the user.





Hey there Rick! Long time no see. My husband actually noticed it first because he was disappointed that NCIS  was not new last night and upon further examination we discovered the change. As you know they make a lot  changes we never do understand but this cosmetic one boggles my mind.


 


Well...this is one they should NOT have made. We used to get 'update' information here in the forums but not for a long time. 

Contributor

Re: Change in 'new episode ' indicator in the guide

Bring back the blue new!!!

Official Employee

Re: Change in 'new episode ' indicator in the guide

The change was made in XRE 98 to align all our badges in the guide with the white background. Will bring this feedback to our design team.

Thank You

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Most Valued Poster

Re: Change in 'new episode ' indicator in the guide


@ComcastChad wrote:
The change was made in XRE 98 to align all our badges in the guide with the white background. Will bring this feedback to our design team.

Thank You

Thank you so much for the feedback but its not customer  focused to have 'new AND  repeat' episodes both in white box.  It was easy to know what was new when it was in blue and now we have to get closer to the TV to see whats new or a repeat. Yes I realize that the word repeat is longer than the word new but  not all of us have eyes like an eagle and its a distraction to have to strain or get closer.  I don't understand why the badges had to be aligned with a white background.  Hows about a white background with BLUE text.  I have enough experience with issues presented to the Comcast design team to know that this will probably never be changed back since it surely was the design team who decided to  change it to begin with for some unknown reason which was certainly not to make it better for the customer nor with any customer input. It was NOT broken but was FIXED?

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Change in 'new episode ' indicator in the guide


@ComcastChad wrote: The change was made in XRE 98 to align all our badges in the guide with the white background. ...

Comcast's obsession with black-and-white user interfaces is bizarre. Intelligent use of color would result in much more intuitive (and attractive) screens compared to this 1950s vintage nonsense. I guess we should be grateful they don't convert programming from color to monochrome as well.

Most Valued Poster

Re: Change in 'new episode ' indicator in the guide


@BruceW wrote:

@ComcastChad wrote: The change was made in XRE 98 to align all our badges in the guide with the white background. ...

Comcast's obsession with black-and-white user interfaces is bizarre. Intelligent use of color would result in much more intuitive (and attractive) screens compared to this 1950s vintage nonsense. I guess we should be grateful they don't convert programming from color to monochrome as well.


Yes, Yes and Yes Bruce! I always believed that changes to a GUI were supposed to ENHANCE the experience.  So much for my optimism. 

Official Employee

Re: Change in 'new episode ' indicator in the guide

Thanks for your feedback everyone! 

 

Ken


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Most Valued Poster

Re: Change in 'new episode ' indicator in the guide


@ComcastKenF wrote:

Thanks for your feedback everyone! 

 

Ken


Ken......and now what? Is there anything other than the design team putting this on some kind of grocery 'to do' list.  Can't Comcast just back out the update?  Its been done before.

 

Official Employee

Re: Change in 'new episode ' indicator in the guide

Hi TerriB! Long time. 

 

Chad brought this to our design team. If it is being added to the design roadmap, it'll be reconstituted in future firmware updates. There are a few things to roll out before then though. 

 

Ken


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Most Valued Poster

Re: Change in 'new episode ' indicator in the guide


@ComcastKenF wrote:

Hi TerriB! Long time. 

 

Chad brought this to our design team. If it is being added to the design roadmap, it'll be reconstituted in future firmware updates. There are a few things to roll out before then though. 

 

Ken


Thanks Ken and its good to 'see you' as its been a while. Hope you are doing well and  I sure hope they take care of this sooner than later.  I will be 'watching'....lol

New Poster

Re: Change in 'new episode ' indicator in the guide

Why are episodes being shown as NEW when in reality they are repeats?
Gold Problem Solver

Re: Change in 'new episode ' indicator in the guide

The blue "NEW" box was a differentiator. The box stood out and was noticeable. The white "NEW" box blends in and takes more time and effort to locate.

Not sure who made this decision but they possibly could have consulted customers first not waited for the complaints to roll in...
Most Valued Poster

Re: Change in 'new episode ' indicator in the guide


@LC53 wrote:
Why are episodes being shown as NEW when in reality they are repeats?

This is not an issue of the color of the badge that is being discussed here . Its  a long standing program guide issue.  Comcast is not responsible for the 'labeling' of the  programs . Guide content  comes from a 3rd party and the  networks  are the ones who provide the  info. I have found that its the cable networks that show the 'new' badge often when its a rerun/ repeat....not the major networks.  In my opinion it may be that the  program is 'new' to  the cable network  that is airing it and is therefore is marked as such. Its very frustrating. 

If you google this issue you will find many hits that will take you to discussions about this on Comcast forums. 

Valued Contributor

The Blue "NEW" isn't Blue Anymore

yes. hopefully Blue NEW returns soon.

Frequent Visitor

New Broadcast Blue indicator in Channel Guide now Gray???

"New Episode " bright blue indicator box in Channel Guide now gray? Now, we  can't tell the new from the repeats!!!!

Are you nuts???

Valued Contributor

Re: New Broadcast Blue indicator in Channel Guide now Gray???


@deedlejfe wrote:

"New Episode " bright blue indicator box in Channel Guide now gray? Now, we  can't tell the new from the repeats!!!!

Are you nuts???


The word "New" is still shown. Maybe they were trying to blend colors?

Topic discussed here:

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/Change-in-new-episode-indicator-in-the-guide/m-p/3218446#M176102

 

Valued Contributor

"new" label in TV guide information lost it's green color

During a recent TV update, I think going from the 97 series to the 98 series, the "new" label in the TV guide  information used to be green  and now is grey. It used to be the "new" label was green while the "repeat" label is grey now they are both grey. I hope this can be fixed in a future update.  

New Poster

Re: Change in 'new episode ' indicator in the guide

Thanks... Please change it back to blue.
Official Employee

Re: "new" label in TV guide information lost it's green color

WindsurfMaui, thank you for reaching out here on the forums! I understand your concern. This is working as intended, but I would be happy to submit your feedback. Thank you for taking the time to let us know. 


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Valued Contributor

Re: "new" label in TV guide information lost it's green color


@ComcastAlly wrote:

WindsurfMaui, thank you for reaching out here on the forums! I understand your concern. This is working as intended, but I would be happy to submit your feedback. Thank you for taking the time to let us know. 


ComcastAlly thank you for the response. I'm unclear what you mean as working as intended, but I would appreciate if you would submit it. Updates are supposed to improve the service and not take away from the service so I don't understand how making it harder to see a new show from a repeat show  helps anything. The funny thing is a group of us have been closely following updates in a different thread for a different issue. And when we received the first 98.1.x update the color changed from green to grey then something happened and they returned us to the 97.1.x version for a couple of days and the green label returned. Then they went back to the 98.1.x version and the grey returned. So it can't be a major problem to fix the green label issue. Thanks.

Most Valued Poster

Re: "new" label in TV guide information lost it's green color


@ComcastAlly wrote:

WindsurfMaui, thank you for reaching out here on the forums! I understand your concern. This is working as intended, but I would be happy to submit your feedback. Thank you for taking the time to let us know. 


Working as intended? What was the intent? Elaborate please. It was never grey until recently. It needs to be in color to differentiate and stand out  so we know what is new and what is not without straining or  'counting letters' in a word....lol.  Not all of us have eagle eyes from a distance. Seems like a really strange change to make with all the X1/ UI issues/projects on someone's grocery list.  I am 100% sure that it was not user input that changed it to gray so what was the motivation?

Official Employee

Re: "new" label in TV guide information lost it's green color

Hey Terri, we often change the font and colors of our guide as the X1 platform evolves. We've submitted the feedback from this thread. 


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Most Valued Poster

Re: "new" label in TV guide information lost it's green color


@ComcastKenF wrote:

Hey Terri, we often change the font and colors of our guide as the X1 platform evolves. We've submitted the feedback from this thread. 


Thanks Ken.  Changes to the font and color of the guide  and X1 evolution is not really the issue here. Its the inability to tell 'new' from 'repeat' without getting up close and personal with the screen and its  important to the user to be able to differentiate quickly. Having them both in gray is counter  intuitive and makes X1 devolve not evolve...lol

Official Employee

Re: Change in 'new episode ' indicator in the guide

Yeah it is harder to differentiate especially since the lettering within the boxes are the same color as well. I'm with ya. 


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Most Valued Poster

Re: Change in 'new episode ' indicator in the guide


@ComcastKenF wrote:

Yeah it is harder to differentiate especially since the lettering within the boxes are the same color as well. I'm with ya. 


Lets hope they don't bury getting this back to where it was 

Valued Contributor

Re: Change in 'new episode ' indicator in the guide

Nothing New and Blue yet.    

 

 

Most Valued Poster

Re: Change in 'new episode ' indicator in the guide


@LeeSoFL wrote:

Nothing New and Blue yet.    

 

 


I was just thinking about the fact that nothing has been done to reverse this very negative change they made  so thanks for posting. I still say it made zero sense to make our lives harder to figure out whats new and whats not. There are so many other things they could work on but they tend to undo/change what actually works and makes the customers happy ...huh?