Community Forum

Cannot watch a show On Demand if it was recently recorded

Frequent Visitor

Cannot watch a show On Demand if it was recently recorded

I've run into this issue several times now, and am hoping there's a work-around for it.  Here's the scenario:

I have a show set to record.  My X1 DVR records the time slot it is normally in.  However, the show was delayed due to a football game, so my recording is of the preceeding show, which was also delayed.  I go to On Demand, find the show (which is there), and try to watch it.  However, even though I'm in the On Demand screen, it will only allow me to watch the recorded version.  I can watch other episodes of the same show from OD, but not the current one.  I've tried deleting the recorded show, but On Demand still wants to show it from my Deleted folder.

Sometimes when I want to watch a recorded show (I couldn't tell you under what circumstances), I get a prompt asking if I want to watch it from the DVR or On Demand.  But when I really do want to watch it OD, and NOT the DVR version (which isn't any good because of the delayed start), it doesn't let me.

Hopefully Comcast can fix this.  In the meantime, so doesn't know of a work-around to force X1 to show the OD version?

Thank you.

Tags (3)
Official Employee

Re: Cannot watch a show On Demand if it was recently recorded

Try deleting your recording first and then access On Demand
Frequent Visitor

ComcastAndrew wrote:
Try deleting your recording first and then access On Demand

In my original post I stated that I'd tried deleting the recorded show, but that didn't solve the problem.  I even tried deleting the recorded show from my 'Recently Deleted' folder.  Then when I'd try watching from OD it would pull back the recorded show.  It would then appear in my recorded shows list below the 'Deleted' folder.  I tried several 'Sync DVR' operations between attempts with OD again, and eventually I was able to watch it from OD.

It shouldn't need to be this difficult...

Frequent Visitor

So does this mean there's no acknowledgement by Comcast that this is a problem, and therefore no possibility of it being fixed?

By the way, the prompt to select watching a show from the DVR vs. OD comes up after you finish watching a show from DVR, and you answer 'Yes' to watching the next show in the series.  I don't understand that one either: I just watched a show from the DVR, and I have the next episode available on DVR that I just said I wanted to watch.  So why would I want to watch the next episode from OD?  It's just an extra prompt to go through, which defeats the purpose of asking to watch the next show.  If I got that prompt when I selected a show from the On Demand menu, and X1 saw it was available on the DVR, then THAT would make sense, and it would solve the problem in my first post to this thread.

New Poster

same problem as previous customers. comcast doesn't seem to care about this problem.

@ wrote:

Regular Contributor

Have you tried using the filter at the top of the episode list? 

Filter to On Demand only and then select the episode. 

Expert

wrote:

same problem as previous customers. comcast doesn't seem to care about this problem.

wrote: 

on a desk/laptop go to https://tv.xfinity.com/settings/playback-preferences and turn that feature off. after the setting updates the back end of comcast's database you will then be offered a choice of how to watch shows again.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Frequent Visitor

@Rustyben, thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately when I try to go there (either using your link or by clicking on the TV icon in the Comcast menu) I just get a screen saying "Your system isn't compatible with XFINITY Stream" Smiley Sad I've tried it with both FireFox and Chromium browsers. So I guess Xfinity doesn't like Linux computers, and I'll need to wait until I can try it from my Windows machine.
Expert

wrote:
@Rustyben, thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately when I try to go there (either using your link or by clicking on the TV icon in the Comcast menu) I just get a screen saying "Your system isn't compatible with XFINITY Stream" Smiley Sad I've tried it with both FireFox and Chromium browsers. So I guess Xfinity doesn't like Linux computers, and I'll need to wait until I can try it from my Windows machine.

it works well on a chromebook. the android phone stream app in settings has the menu for playback preferences and you can set that feature from the menu. Iphone has a similar setting. 

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Frequent Visitor

@on a desk/laptop go to https://tv.xfinity.com/settings/playback-preferences and turn that feature offfrom the menu. Iphone has a similar setting. 

I was able to get to the settings page from my Windows computer.  Under 'Playback Preferences' I turned 'Play Best Available' off, which is the only option there.  I'll check in a few hours to see how that affects it.

Thanks for the suggestion!