Community Forum

Can you use your own modem with X1?

Frequent Visitor

Can you use your own modem with X1?

I have been on the Triple Play for several years and just realized a few months ago that while they don't seem very common, you can purchase your own EMTA modem.  I have an Arris TM822G that I bought a few months ago.  I am a little confused about some posts mentioning upgrading your modem or needing a gateway.  Will this modem work if I get the X1 system?

Official Employee

Re: Can you use your own modem with X1?

Your internet has nothing to do with the x1 boxes
Frequent Visitor

Ok thank you. I couldn't see why the modem would have anything to do with the X1, that's why I was confused about people talking about upgrading their modem.  I read it under the section about cloud service but I still don't know why that would have anything to do with it.

Contributor

I have the same Arris modem and get good internet speeds with it - it is a DOSIS 3 (currently the fasted modem standard avaiable).  And yes, currently your X1 has nothing to do with your internet connection but what they are not telling you yet is when the next generation of X1 comes out which is supposedly "cloud based" how will the TV portion connect to the cloud.  Todays X1 boxes have built in modems (in each box) and that is how the connect to the service and each other.  Also, my slave boxes only have the older DOCSIS 2 modems in them and that is why they respond slover than the DVD box.

New Poster

In Atlanta, to get the X1, you must get the triple play with phone included. To do this, a single modem feeds the Ethernet and phone. I told the guy not to install it. Now I don't have phone. I haven't had a home phone in 15 years. I did a speed test. Down is about the same upload was double 11mbps
Silver Problem Solver

Uffal wrote:
In Atlanta, to get the X1, you must get the triple play with phone included. To do this, a single modem feeds the Ethernet and phone. I told the guy not to install it. Now I don't have phone. I haven't had a home phone in 15 years. I did a speed test. Down is about the same upload was double 11mbps

I have a Comcast DOCSIS 3.0 gateway and I called Comcast yesterday and they upgraded my Internet to 105 Extreme for no charge.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
New Poster

Silver Problem Solver

Uffal wrote:

RobertWy: what did you say to them?. I'm at 50 now

dm88: Also, for the X1 that I just got, there is a cable feed going to the X1 dvr and a split feed that goes to a intert modem that has phone jacks, running your phone too

I got a very knowledgable CSR who knew what I wanted to do.  I told him I had heard it was possible to upgrade my Internet speed to 105MB.  It took him two minutes to change my account.  He said it woulld be free for 1 year and then be an extra $50/mo.  But if they upgrade everyone who has Triple Play with Blast!, there wouldn't be any charge after a year.  And he agreed that if they try to charge me, I could always go back to whatever is standard with Triple Play.

I told a friend of mine here in Houston about it but it took him three phone calls before they did the upgrade.  So, don't' give up.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
New Poster

haha, ah customer service. If you can't get what you want, hang up and try again.

thanks.

New Poster

WHY is Comcast telling me my Motorola SURFboard SBG6850 modem will not work with X1 ?????

New Poster

because they want me to rent theirs for $8 a month???

Gold Problem Solver

At this point the modem you have has nothing to do with X1. As long as you have a DOCSIS 3 modem you are just fine.

weruiop wrote:

WHY is Comcast telling me my Motorola SURFboard SBG6850 modem will not work with X1 ?????

Official Employee

WHY is Comcast telling me my Motorola SURFboard SBG6850 modem will not work with X1 ?????

If you were inquiring about a triple play then that modem wouldn't work because it doesn't have phone capability, you don't need any certain modem for X1.
New Poster

they also made me take mine out

Valued Contributor

Understood, as stated before a phone capable modem is the only requirement for X1 being that most markets require triple play at this time, if you are an existing customer other instances may just be an upgraded modem

Problem Solver

ComcastAmber wrote:

Understood, as stated before a phone capable modem is the only requirement for X1 being that most markets require triple play at this time, if you are an existing customer other instances may just be an upgraded modem

To add to what amber is saying here. most markets are offering the free extreme 105 or 150 Internet with x1 deal. I can also tell you that the wifi is really good on the gateway. I suggest going with the technicolor modem if you want the fast speeds.

New Poster

Correct, X1 is separate from your internet... but X1 uses "MoCA" to communicate between each set top box, so it is possible the Comcast rep was stating that your modem wouldn't support your X1 service, not stating that it wouldn't support your internet service.

Official Employee

Year old thread closed