Community Forum

Can’t play back DVR recordings

Regular Contributor

Can’t play back DVR recordings

For the last few days, I have been getting messages on some of my recordings when I try to play them back. The message says something like:

“there was a problem playing back this DVR recording”

And then it switches me to on-demand.

I pay extra for a DVR because I do not want to watch on-demand, with its commercials that I can’t fast-forward through.

This is happening on my television, which is where I watch TV programs. I’ve only used up 66% of my space, according to what I see on the TV and what I see on the X1 remote app.

This is extremely annoying.

How do I get it fixed?
Regular Contributor

Re: Can’t play back DVR recordings

On an unrelated (maybe) topic, for weeks now I am not able to see a program description when I am looking at recorded programs by simply clicking the info button. Instead, I actually have to start up the recording and click info then to get that information. Something else that’s very annoying.
Regular Contributor

I just tried playing one of the recorded TV shows on my phone end it works there. I have no interest in watching TV on my phone which is why I bought a huge flatscreen TV.

Does this mean that there is an issue with the cloud communicating with my DVR? Do I need a new DVR? I don’t want to go to the hassle of replacing it if it’s not going to fix the problem.
New Poster

Same problem here, but no with all recordings. Did you ever find out what the problem is?
Regular Contributor

Same for me. Not with all recordings. And no, I don’t know what the problem is.
Expert

@JodieNJ wrote:
I just tried playing one of the recorded TV shows on my phone end it works there. I have no interest in watching TV on my phone which is why I bought a huge flatscreen TV.

Does this mean that there is an issue with the cloud communicating with my DVR? Do I need a new DVR? I don’t want to go to the hassle of replacing it if it’s not going to fix the problem.

because the recording exists on the DVR it can not play the cloud copy in this case. unfortunately there is no user interface menu option to play the cloud copy of a recorded program on the home X1 equipment. if you have a Roku you can play the cloud version on the TV. Some Samsung TVs have access to a similar app.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@JodieNJ wrote:

because the recording exists on the DVR it can not play the cloud copy in this case. unfortunately there is no user interface menu option to play the cloud copy of a recorded program on the home X1 equipment. if you have a Roku you can play the cloud version on the TV. Some Samsung TVs have access to a similar app.

????

This makes no sense to me. I’ve had a DVR for, I don’t know, 10 years. I record TV shows from the TV and then I play them back on the TV using  DVRs leased from Comcast.   I’ve had X1 for a several years now. Same thing.

As a user, I don’t care where the program is stored. I need to click on the program that I’ve recorded and watch it. It’s up to Comcast to provide the interface between my equipment and the cloud.   I don’t need to know or care how this works technically. Not unless Comcast is intending to pay me to know. 

Bottom line: I can I no longer play back some of the programs I have recorded  from my TV on my TV. Why? 

Expert

@JodieNJ wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@JodieNJ wrote:

????

This makes no sense to me. I’ve had a DVR for, I don’t know, 10 years. I record TV shows from the TV and then I play them back on the TV using  DVRs leased from Comcast.   I’ve had X1 for a several years now. Same thing.

As a user, I don’t care where the program is stored. I need to click on the program that I’ve recorded and watch it. It’s up to Comcast to provide the interface between my equipment and the cloud.   I don’t need to know or care how this works technically. Not unless Comcast is intending to pay me to know. 

Bottom line: I can I no longer play back some of the programs I have recorded  from my TV on my TV. Why? 

it was a system wide error that was quickly corrected. the menu system does not offer to let you watch the cloud copy on the TV. had your electricity been off and the home DVR did not record then when electricity was restored the set top box would just play the cloud copy. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!