Community Forum

Can't get past the initial select language screen during setup

New Poster

Can't get past the initial select language screen during setup

I saw another message with this subject, but they didn't actually say what they did to fix the problem.

I have my new Comcast box set up. Appears to be working. I tried to activate it online and it says that it was successful. But when I turn on the TV, I can't get past the initial "Select language" screen.

Official Employee

Re: Can't get past the initial select language screen during setup

@Carolyn3 wrote:

I saw another message with this subject, but they didn't actually say what they did to fix the problem.

I have my new Comcast box set up. Appears to be working. I tried to activate it online and it says that it was successful. But when I turn on the TV, I can't get past the initial "Select language" screen.

Apologies for the issue and the experience that you described above. I have asked a colleague to review your account and reach out to you so that we can get any underlying issues identified and resolved.

Thanks for your patience.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

It seems to have mysteriously gone away. When I tried it again an hour later, assuming it wouldn't work, suddenly I got the right screens to do my set up. Odd that it took so long - literally hours. But it seems to be resolved.

Admin1

Carolyn3 -- Thanks for the update. Let us know if it happens again. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

It's happened to me and two days and two boxes later, still stuck. Please help.
Silver Problem Solver

@Junime wrote:
It's happened to me and two days and two boxes later, still stuck. Please help.

Did you try unplugging the coax AND the power cord and wait a minute or two before plugging them back in?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

you post no answer i need help where do i go to get an answer,,Can't get past the initial select language screen during setup
Expert

@Wileycoyote-1 wrote:
you post no answer i need help where do i go to get an answer,,Can't get past the initial select language screen during setup

when you press the '1' button does the LED on the remote itself blink green or red (or both)?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

I'm having the same issue. Can somebody help? Was on the phone for hours with someone and no help
Diamond Problem Solver

@Danimarie444 wrote:
I'm having the same issue. Can somebody help? Was on the phone for hours with someone and no help

Try press and hold setup, LED goes from red to green and press 987

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
New Poster

I have this same problem.  Was on the phone with Comcast, now chatting with Comcast. Their only solution is for me to pay for a rep to come out.  How is this problem solved?

Diamond Problem Solver

@redogue wrote:

I have this same problem.  Was on the phone with Comcast, now chatting with Comcast. Their only solution is for me to pay for a rep to come out.  How is this problem solved?

Did you try my suggestion right before your post?

New Poster

I am having the same problem.  I was on the phone with Xfinity/Comcast Tech Support and was told to arrange a service call.

Expert

@Calibay8 wrote:

I am having the same problem.  I was on the phone with Xfinity/Comcast Tech Support and was told to arrange a service call.

the Comcast Employee (tech) said above "Try press and hold setup, LED goes from red to green and press 987"

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
New Poster

The 987 code worked for me.

Thanks.

New Poster

987 Worked!  Thank you soooo much for the post.  

New Poster

Thanks 987 also worked for us!

New Poster

987 did not work for me.  This is my second box/remote with same issue.  Talked to tech people, several of them, tried all kinds of codes, nada.  Anybody else have any ideas?  I have a brand new tv and can't imagine what the problem is...

Diamond Problem Solver

Try 981, that will wipe all codes. Your tv brand or type is irrelevant

Expert

adding.. 'if' it is an XR15 remote you have to do something different (can't operate on IR, only RF).

New Poster

What if you don’t have a ‘setup’ button on your remote?
Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

Assuming you’re referring to the XR15
From
https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/programming-your-xfinity-remote?

If it doesn't have a Setup button (XR15):
Turn on your TV.
Press and hold the xfinity and Mute buttons together for five seconds until the light at the top changes from red to green.
Type the first five-digit code for the TV manufacturer.
If the remote light blinks green twice, the code is correct.
If the remote light blinks red then green, the code is incorrect.
Aim the remote at the TV, and press the Power button.
If the TV turns off, turn the TV back on and make sure the Volume and Mute buttons work.
If the TV doesn't turn off, try the next code.