Community Forum

Can't find Settings to change auto-tune

Frequent Visitor

Can't find Settings to change auto-tune

I don't seem to have a settings option on my remote where I can stop auto-tune on non-HD channels. The support page says to press the xfinity button on remote and highlight "settings," but I don't see the settings option any where.  I have the XR2 remote and RNG150N cable box. Thanks! 

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Can't find Settings to change auto-tune

An RNG 150 can be either a legacy box or an X1 box. Do you have X1 service?
Frequent Visitor

It's X1 service. Thanks!

Official Employee

erica28 wrote:

It's X1 service. Thanks!

Xfinity Button to Gear Symbol to Preferences to General, scroll down to Auto Tune press OK

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Gold Problem Solver

FYI,

The RNG-150 is the "mutt" of X1 boxes. I HIGHLY recommend that you exchange it for an XG2. It's a much better box and it costs the same.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks, when I click the xfinity button I don't have a Gear Symbol. My options to click are On Demand, Menu, TV Listings, FInd Shows, Favorites, HD, and iTV.  When I click Menu there are no options for Preferences.

Official Employee

That means that you don't have an X1 box but a Legacy box, no auto tune function
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Frequent Visitor

Went to the retail story today and exhanged the legacy box for X1 box.  On an SD channel, I'm going to Settings to Preferences to General, and turned auto-tune off.  I then went to Device Settings and under Video Display changed Zoom to None.  The Video Output Resolution is set at SD, and I'm still seeing letterbox with blurred resolution. Is there a way to bring these SD channels full screen and sharpen the image? 

Expert

erica28 wrote:

Went to the retail story today and exhanged the legacy box for X1 box.  On an SD channel, I'm going to Settings to Preferences to General, and turned auto-tune off.  I then went to Device Settings and under Video Display changed Zoom to None.  The Video Output Resolution is set at SD, and I'm still seeing letterbox with blurred resolution. Is there a way to bring these SD channels full screen and sharpen the image? 

Does the TV have SD capability? is it hooked up to the set top box via coax cable? Component? HDMI? composite video?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Frequent Visitor

It's a 2009 model HDTV (Samsung) that is 720p. I'm not 100% sure its SD compatible, gonna assume older TVs can show both. I have two ports side by side on the back.  An HDMI cable connects from the x1 box.  One of ports says HDMI In and the other DVI which is the one the HDMI cable is plugged in to.  I had U-Verse before I moved and my SD channels didn't have letterboxing or look distorted.  Thanks. 

Expert

erica28 wrote:

It's a 2009 model HDTV (Samsung) that is 720p. I'm not 100% sure its SD compatible, gonna assume older TVs can show both. I have two ports side by side on the back.  An HDMI cable connects from the x1 box.  One of ports says HDMI In and the other DVI which is the one the HDMI cable is plugged in to.  I had U-Verse before I moved and my SD channels didn't have letterboxing or look distorted.  Thanks. 

try this using the X1 remote: while watching Live TV with no menu etc on the screen type exit exit exit 480. did that get it working?

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Frequent Visitor

Hey there - just tried and LIVE in a circle pops up on the center screen and when I type 480 quickly it pulls up search bar with 480 typed. The channel itself doesn't change.

Expert

erica28 wrote:

Hey there - just tried and LIVE in a circle pops up on the center screen and when I type 480 quickly it pulls up search bar with 480 typed. The channel itself doesn't change.

it sounds like you have it on 480 then. try exit exit exit 720

Frequent Visitor

Really appreciate your help with this.  720 makes the resolution look a little better but it's still letterboxed and stretched.  I also tried to adjust on my tv remote to make it full screen and that doesn't look good either.  I'm afraid I might be stuck with this and 90% of the channels I will be watching are SD on xfininty.  I may have to look at Direct TV and see if they offer them in HD, AT&T no longer allows new U-Verse installs in the area.  I had all of my favorites on HD with U-Verse :-( 

Expert

erica28 wrote:

Really appreciate your help with this.  720 makes the resolution look a little better but it's still letterboxed and stretched.  I also tried to adjust on my tv remote to make it full screen and that doesn't look good either.  I'm afraid I might be stuck with this and 90% of the channels I will be watching are SD on xfininty.  I may have to look at Direct TV and see if they offer them in HD, AT&T no longer allows new U-Verse installs in the area.  I had all of my favorites on HD with U-Verse :-( 

do you still have a working manufacturer's remote for that TV? You can find the zoom menu there and turn it off. set to 720p. The X1 zoom will only zoom on SD channels when needed. SD channels showing 16:9 content may be letterboxed on SD version of channels (like TVLand linear channel). The HD TVGo channel for TVland is HD.

New Poster

Thank you so much
New Poster

The xfinity companion X1 boxes CAN STOP AUTO-TUNE, but not the way everyone posted.  Here is how:

1. Hit "Xfinity" button

2. Go to settings icon (Gear Icon) on the right side of screen

3. Go to "Preferences" enter

4. Go to "General" enter

5. Go to "Prefer Best Available Resolution:" IF IT IS ON, IT IS AUTO-TUNING, click ok and it will go to "OFF", this TURNS OFF the auto-tune.

6. HAVE A GLASS OF WINE AND BE HAPPY!!!!

Sincerely, 

Xfinity Tech Support Question Asker!!!! (Also a Tech Stumper and 'Let me ask a college' consumer)

Official Employee

@jenortis wrote:

The xfinity companion X1 boxes CAN STOP AUTO-TUNE, but not the way everyone posted.  Here is how:

1. Hit "Xfinity" button

2. Go to settings icon (Gear Icon) on the right side of screen

3. Go to "Preferences" enter

4. Go to "General" enter

5. Go to "Prefer Best Available Resolution:" IF IT IS ON, IT IS AUTO-TUNING, click ok and it will go to "OFF", this TURNS OFF the auto-tune.

6. HAVE A GLASS OF WINE AND BE HAPPY!!!!

Sincerely, 

Xfinity Tech Support Question Asker!!!! (Also a Tech Stumper and 'Let me ask a college' consumer)

The Auto Tune to HD was changed in the last month or so to Prefer Best Available Resolution

New Poster

There is no autotune feature when I follow these instructions, and scroll down. It obviously was there when initially set up because it tunes to only HD, I can't bypass the HD tuning!
Highlighted
Official Employee

It is now called “Prefer Best Resolution “ On for Auto Tune to Hd,

New Poster

I don’t have the choice to turn off auto tune in my preferences
Official Employee

It is now called “Prefer Best Resolution “ On for Auto Tune to Hd,
Do you not see it?

New Poster

Xfinity-gear icon-preferences-general-scroll to Prefer best available resolution and set to OFF Comcast reps never could help with this We were having tiling and bad sound on ESPN Espn2 and Fox SS LAST 30 hour so just watching on non HD for now