Community Forum

Can't figure out XR15 remote

New Poster

Can't figure out XR15 remote

Hi everyone. I just got X1 and I have the XR15 remote. I was able to pair my remote with the TV (in other words, I can use the remote to turn the TV on and off and change the volume.) But whenever I hit the voice button, I get a message on the TV telling me I need to pair my remote with my TV (XRE 09013). But I already did. Didn't I? Please tell me what I did wrong while setting it up.

The way I set it up was I pressed the mute button and the Xfinity button until the light turned from red to solid green and then I put in the five-digit code for my TV.  (The message on my TV tells me to press the Xfinity button and the info button, but that only turns the light from red to flashing green.)

To sum up: I can't get the voice function to work on my remote, even though the remote is already paired with the TV.

Official Employee

Re: Can't figure out XR15 remote

wrote:

Hi everyone. I just got X1 and I have the XR15 remote. I was able to pair my remote with the TV (in other words, I can use the remote to turn the TV on and off and change the volume.) But whenever I hit the voice button, I get a message on the TV telling me I need to pair my remote with my TV (XRE 09013). But I already did. Didn't I? Please tell me what I did wrong while setting it up.

The way I set it up was I pressed the mute button and the Xfinity button until the light turned from red to solid green and then I put in the five-digit code for my TV.  (The message on my TV tells me to press the Xfinity button and the info button, but that only turns the light from red to flashing green.)

To sum up: I can't get the voice function to work on my remote, even though the remote is already paired with the TV.

All you did was pair the remote to the tv.

Pair the XR15 Remote to an XFINITY X1 TV Box

To use your XR15 remote to control your XFINITY X1 TV Box, follow these steps:
Make sure the remote batteries are installed and your TV and TV Box are powered on.
Set the TV input to the input connected to the XFINITY X1 TV Box.
Press and hold the xfinity and Info buttons for five seconds. Wait for the remote light to change from red to green.
Follow the instructions by entering the three-digit, on-screen pairing code.
Once your remote is paired, follow the on-screen instructions to set up power, volume and input control for your TV.

New Poster

Thanks for the suggestion, but when I select the info and Xfinity buttons, the light changes from red to green and then nothing else happens. There's no code. What else can I try?

Official Employee

Unplug power and plug it back in and try again
Expert

adding... missing a step. when the remote's LED changes to green press the Xfinity button.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Silver Problem Solver

... and be sure to follow every on-screen step,  I made that mistake yesterday; I could control the STB but I couldn't control the TV sound.  It took me three tries before I actually looked at the numbered steps and followed every one.  Problem solved.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
New Poster

How do I change the batteries in the XR15. It seems like I have to pull the top of the remote off but it doesn’t come off! It really should be this difficult. And while I’m at it the design is the XR15 is less impressive than the previous remotes.
Expert

@Modestochic wrote:
How do I change the batteries in the XR15. It seems like I have to pull the top of the remote off but it doesn’t come off! It really should be this difficult. And while I’m at it the design is the XR15 is less impressive than the previous remotes.

turn the remote over with top (LED window) pointed left. there is a raised edge that is behind the Xfinity button. press down a bit on that edge and slide the remote back to the right toward the big end.

New Poster

I am having the same issue with the xr15 remote.  I even got a new remote and it flashes green and red when I push the xfinity and info buttons.  Also, the remote does not do much when trying to press buttons and pointing at the cable box.

Tags (1)
Expert

@BigEDadddy wrote:

I am having the same issue with the xr15 remote.  I even got a new remote and it flashes green and red when I push the xfinity and info buttons.  Also, the remote does not do much when trying to press buttons and pointing at the cable box.

press and hold both buttons until the red LED changes to flashing green. press the numbers on your TV screen and wait for the menu to go to next 2 screens.

New Poster

@Rustyben wrote:

@BigEDadddy wrote:

press and hold both buttons until the red LED changes to flashing green. press the numbers on your TV screen and wait for the menu to go to next 2 screens.

If only it was that easy!  The screen never changes and the remote never changes to flashing green just goes between red and green.  I believe its the box.

Silver Problem Solver

@BigEDadddy wrote:

FYI:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/get-to-know-xr11-remote

New Poster

I am setting up second stb. After several error messages it downloaded a 10 minute update and goes to the language select screen. I have the remote able to control the tv by using the mute and xfinity button and sending the right code. But I can't get past the language screen. I've restarted, I've called support they sent restart signals but I got disconnected after 20 minutes. I'm going to call back but hoped maybe I'd get help here. It's an xr15.
Silver Problem Solver

Any chance you are close eonugh to an Xfinity Store?  Maybe they still have the XR11 remote, which I prefer.  Here is a side-by-side:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/get-to-know-xr11-remote

See if the instructions for the XR15 helps.

Official Employee

@Chemdoc73 wrote:
I am setting up second stb. After several error messages it downloaded a 10 minute update and goes to the language select screen. I have the remote able to control the tv by using the mute and xfinity button and sending the right code. But I can't get past the language screen. I've restarted, I've called support they sent restart signals but I got disconnected after 20 minutes. I'm going to call back but hoped maybe I'd get help here. It's an xr15.

Hold down  A and D buttons together, LED will flash blue and press 987

Regular Visitor

My TV isn't on remote set up list how do you manually search for x15 remote to use TV?
Official Employee

Holding down the A and D simultaneously is the same as using the setup button on the previous X1 remotes. Press A and D, press 991 and channel up until your tv turns off
Regular Visitor

We are stuck on the language screen too with a new box. The remote is paired to th tv but not the box.
I can’t pair it because the code won’t ahow on the screen. It’s stuck on Select your language.
Official Employee

Did you try the answer from a few posts up?
New Poster

Thank you, this did it! I appreciate your help.
Regular Visitor

We had to get a new box and have a service technician come out.
Official Employee

@jogden529

No need to get a new box. Check your inbox for my reply. I can help. 

New Poster

I just got a new box and xr15 remote.

It annoys me that when I input a channel via the number keyboard, instead of getting the channel I selected, I am re-directed to an HD channel.  Is there a way to disable the Auto-redirect?

Official Employee

Xfinity button to gear symbol to preferences to General to Prefer Best Resolution and press ok to toggle Off
New Poster

Boo-Yah! Thanks.

New Poster

I'm having the same problem as the original poster.  When I try to program the remote the 3 didgit cod boxes show up on another TV.  I called support, the sent numerous reset signals.  THey transferred me to advance support and they did the same thing.  Here is the original thread that is closed that describes the exact problem I am having.  

HI have even powered off the other box and nothing happend.  I wopuld have resopneded to this thread but it seems to be archived.  

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/TV-Archive/XR15-Remote-pairs-with-the-wrong-box/m-p/3072868#M421365

I thought I was going crazy but it seems I am not the only on to experience this.

Expert

@markdudley wrote:

I'm having the same problem as the original poster.  When I try to program the remote the 3 didgit cod boxes show up on another TV.  I called support, the sent numerous reset signals.  THey transferred me to advance support and they did the same thing.  Here is the original thread that is closed that describes the exact problem I am having.  

HI have even powered off the other box and nothing happend.  I wopuld have resopneded to this thread but it seems to be archived.  

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/TV-Archive/XR15-Remote-pairs-with-the-wrong-box/m-p/3072868#M421365

I thought I was going crazy but it seems I am not the only on to experience this.

it can make the other TVs display their own set of numbers but you will type in only the numbers that are displayed on the one you wish to pair with the remote. you can dismiss the other TV's screens. 

New Poster

I am having the same issue. I received my X1 box yesterday after setting it up and pairing the remote with my TV (volume controls etc.) My remote will not pair with my box. The remote is fully functional and I've been through all the motions of reseting this and that and unplugging and plugging back etc. With still no code screen to show up. Xfinity assured me that I needed a new remote but I honestly don't believe so. Something is missing.
Silver Problem Solver

@Dholder13 wrote:
I am having the same issue. I received my X1 box yesterday after setting it up and pairing the remote with my TV (volume controls etc.) My remote will not pair with my box. The remote is fully functional and I've been through all the motions of reseting this and that and unplugging and plugging back etc. With still no code screen to show up. Xfinity assured me that I needed a new remote but I honestly don't believe so. Something is missing.

Try this:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/remotes/

New Poster

I have already went that route, thank you for the link. After booting up I am prompted with a "select language screen" which I am obviously unable to make a selection because my remote is not paired with the box. I've tried the holding X and info button and hitting the X button again.. still no code screen. I've reset the remote attempted the same method and still no code screen. I've also reset the box and remote and still no luck. Xfinity assures me it's a faulty remote but I'm not so sure.
Silver Problem Solver

@Dholder13 wrote:
I have already went that route, thank you for the link. After booting up I am prompted with a "select language screen" which I am obviously unable to make a selection because my remote is not paired with the box. I've tried the holding X and info button and hitting the X button again.. still no code screen. I've reset the remote attempted the same method and still no code screen. I've also reset the box and remote and still no luck. Xfinity assures me it's a faulty remote but I'm not so sure.

Hmm.  It's been a while since I was at that option.  But I was able to use the remote even though it wasn't paired yet.  Any chance you have old batteries in the remote?  And you can try standing close to the X1 box.

Expert

@Dholder13 wrote:

for the xr15.. press and hold both of these buttons at the same time "Xfinity" and "i" (info)). the LED will change colors and the 3 number code entry screen will show up on the TV screen. enter the 3 numbers shown and the remote will be properly RF paired. the XR15 appears to have no ability to use IR to control the set top box.